HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
A couple days ago. 150 cement trucks in route to the Broadway Trade Center on Monday, July 18, 2016. Photo by Paul Wright.

http://la.curbed.com/2016/7/19/12227...-cement-trucks
Photo by me!😊

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:30 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
sorry about that. Its just soooooo heart breaking. Granted, I'm glad that at least she wasn't replaced with a parking lot or garage but man its just sooooo heart breaking. Makes you wonder how would the downtown skyline have morphed around her if she was still here.

I think the set up of our towers would be total different in the specific area. Or better yet, makes you wonder if she would fit in nicely with our current crop of buildings. I'm almost willing to bet that downtown would have sprung up a little further south instead of springing up on bunker hill.

Forgive me, I'm about to show my age. I never knew that the building was open on one side and in the center, I always thought that it was a solid building. TRULY a gem that shouldn't have been torn down and easily the top 10 in lost American architecture.
In LA's defense, it has manged quite well to preserve it's stock of prewar buildings. Chicago regularly destroys it's old buildings. By old I mean old. This building was built in 1892 but it's slated to be demolished soon for one reason or another. And this is just one of many endangered Chicago buildings (a lot of the historic churches and schools in this city are endangered too).

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/C-1...13e065_h.0.jpg

LA is overlooked in this regard. In one instance, I'm glad that the buildings in the Historic Core have remained and not destroyed. Broadway would be a moonscape today if otherwise.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
In LA's defense, it has manged quite well to preserve it's stock of prewar buildings. Chicago regularly destroys it's old buildings. By old I mean old. This building was built in 1892 but it's slated to be demolished soon for one reason or another. And this is just one of many endangered Chicago buildings (a lot of the historic churches and schools in this city are endangered too).

LA is overlooked in this regard. In one instance, I'm glad that the buildings in the Historic Core have remained and not destroyed. Broadway would be a moonscape today if otherwise.
Also in LA's defense, it's rep for destroying it's history is true but exaggerated when you look at a lot of the timelines of when DTLA buildings are destroyed. The Richfield, no doubt, would have been LA's Chrysler building, but it was destroyed within the same generation. It was only 40 years old at demolition. That tends to be true of a lot of buildings in DTLA. Beautiful building are made and destroyed just as quickly.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
While we are on the topic of preservation COS is about to rip down the Olympic Theater marquee and demo 100% of the interior. If you want a plain box retail slot, than take one of the 100+ vacant ones throughout DTLA. This is unacceptable and pathetic for DTLA to allow such a thing.

Olympic Theatre Vacant by Hunter, on Flickr

COS article with finished exterior render:
http://brighamyen.com/2016/03/09/hms...e-downtown-la/

Interior Images:
http://brighamyen.com/2014/01/28/new...e-downtown-la/
I don't find the marquee to be all that important. Visually, I think the street and building would look better without it, as long as they keep the much more important neon signage.

There are certain ornate design elements in the interior that might be worth preserving, but overall, the space looks like a weird cult church space somewhere in Texas, no where near the design standards of other DTLA theaters.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 12:26 PM
Ascension

^ I agree. Get rid of the marquee and keep the blade sign and you'll have a nice theater.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:23 PM

Olympic theater renovation: sorry to see the theater elements removed. but have to bite the bullet on this one. One interesting note on the Olympic it had a entrance on Broadway at one time through the Merritt bldg. What troubles me a bit more is the condition of the awnings of the Merritts retail shops been that way for years any safety concerns? I just read the Merritt was under contract not sure what that means, can't wait for that buildings clean up.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:00 PM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Man, what a boon Freehand and 8th and Olive will be to that immediate area once they open and fill up.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Unpopular hot take: perhaps old buildings should be replaced?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:43 PM

^^^ I agree with you to an extent. I seem to be the only one on here that doesn't mind old Dilapidated buildings being torn down for something better. For instance. somewhere around 40% of the buildings on Broadway,in my opinion,(1-3 story buildings that have been butchered and destroyed from the inside out) can be replaced with something denser and better, however, some will make the argument that they are old and should stay, but I make the argument that nearly the entire structure has been replaced and butchered so why keep it? Prime example. The Blue Jean building. That thing has been destroyed and butchered with little to nothing left from the original structure besides maybe a door knob or light switch. But peoples argument "Well its been there since the day of Moses, so it can stay"........

Should buildings be replaced ? yeah. most deff. but it depends on which ones. The Richfield should still be here. The day anyone dares say they want to replace the US Bank Tower, Aon building or the twins and a few others downtown, I will lose my mind. But the 1 story shoe shine shack on broadway that's been there since 1901, it can go. The butchered "Victorians"(hardly), they can go.

Quote:

Oh trust me I know. I've taken city tours in NYC and Chicago. And to see before and after pictures of entire city blocks are truly heart breaking. A lot of us truly don't know how many architectural gems we have lost to the bulldozer with most being replaced by parking lots and parking garages or modern boxes ( The old Chicago federal building for example)

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 21, 2016 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ Man, what a boon Freehand and 8th and Olive will be to that immediate area once they open and fill up.
That whole corner was dead just a few years ago, now there's something new or refurbished at every corner. Whole Foods, Dunkin Donuts, Freehand, and 8th/Olive

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:40 AM

Looks like preliminary site prep work has started on the Flower St side of the ONNI TWINS!! passed by this morning and saw the corner next to the white lowrise building fenced with ground broken up. Sorry no pics!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram3000 View Post
Looks like preliminary site prep work has started on the Flower St side of the ONNI TWINS!! passed by this morning and saw the corner next to the white lowrise building fenced with ground broken up. Sorry no pics!
Great news. Sooner than I expected too.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Looks like preliminary site prep work has started on the Flower St side of the ONNI TWINS!!
if correct, that's another proj in dt that didn't seem to have much advance publicity, yet may be under construction far sooner than other projs that have been talked about for yrs & yrs. Projs involving sites like the parking lot at olive & 5th st. A proj that has been publicized for a long time & is supposed to begin construction this month.

I also never thought about....or heard much advance publicity on....2 major apt towers on Spring st around 8th. It wasn't that long ago I'd have guessed those parking lots on Spring St wouldn't be filled in for yrs to come.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 7:07 AM

Gonna try and do a regular update on the mack urban site. From wednesday...
Untitled by David Chacon, on Flickr
and Wilshire Grand is filling in nicely.
Untitled by David Chacon, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 8:41 AM

I don't have a picture to upload...but the blue paint on the Ford Factory has been stripped and the facade completely restored already. It looks fantastic if anyone can find a photo.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I don't have a picture to upload...but the blue paint on the Ford Factory has been stripped and the facade completely restored already. It looks fantastic if anyone can find a photo.
From April 28th:

Ford Factory Renovation by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 12:45 AM

The Mack Urban site will probably take a long time to excevate. Apex on the other hand is moving fast from what I've seen and heard.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
From April 28th:

Awesome. Thanks Hunter. Looks sooooo much better than before.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Can anyone investigate please? I'm starting to lose track of all the groundbreakings!

And apparently theres some soil testing being done at the 5-OH site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations