HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 7:40 PM
Hala Wal'la

McBane your so wrong on so many levels you would or atleast should go red in the face once you find out how wrong you are

but then again i could not careless what you or others like you think , it is your loss. Live under your rock all you want.

Yum

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 8:37 PM

^ Concerning human rights records, no he isn't wrong...and you know that.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 8:59 PM
Hala Wal'la

Comitted by private companies and the companies that bring them from their own countries by their own people and the government here is working day and night trying to fix it all which is awesome and exactly what is supposed to happen , did he or you for that matter care to elaborate and mention such a point ? ofcourse not its how you guys function.

Yum

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
don't get all razzled up over dubai! the city is a charade, a fad. you plop however many super tallbuildings you want there, but the fact is, it lacks the diversity, culture, cosmopolitan flair, and history that mark true cities such as philly, nyc, chicago, boston, etc. even LA has a more urban fabric than dubai. not to mention it's in a country/region where, all glitter and hoopla aside, is still a repressive area with a poor human rights record and a very very conservative attitude towards tolerance, women, etc. why do you think that when the economy soured, everyone started to leave? money cannot buy everything - and that includes all those things that make a real city feel like a great place to live, work, and play.

dubai is like crystal bridges (art museum funded by wal-mart heiress) trying to fit in with the Louvre, PMA or Met...it's a joke.
I'll give you that Dubai is a city of little history. It's interesting to have such an enormous urban area with so little historical story; not like the 4-thousand year history of Athens, the 3,000 year history of Rome, 2,000 years of London, 300 years of New York and 150 years of Chicago. Los Angeles has only been something of a "major city" for 70 years. Dubai was a small town until recently - it has practically no big city history at all.

It's like a lot of American cities were 100 years ago. Dubai was built under the same boom-and-bust model that Chicago, Denver, St. Louis and Los Angeles were built on. All these places became region-leading metropolitan areas in a few decades. Miami is experiencing the down curve of a major development boom as we speak.

On the other hand, saying it has no Diversity? That's a farce; well over half its population is from India, Pakistan and the Phillipines who came in as construction workers - and many of whom will stay. Europeans live there. Americans live there. Arabs live there. So do hundreds of thousands of South Asian and East Asian immigrants. Dubai is one of the most diverse cities in the world.

It's still under construction, but after this hyperbolized skyscraper boom is over, normal urban growth to house middle and lower-middle classes will wash in and could make it a great city. What Dubai lacks is a middle; it's all upper class and underclass. It's all supertall skyscrapers over 800 feet tall, and then 2-story mansions and a sprawling blue-collar suburban area.

Eventually Dubai will evolve a middle class. It will also develop a bunch of mid-level skyscrapers that fill in around the supertalls; stuff that will seek to house people comfortably, without trying to make global newspaper headlines by being absurdly tall. And 100 years from now even Dubai will have a history.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 7:51 AM
Hala Wal'la

Pizzuti you seem like the kind of person that wouldnt mind reading a little more on a certain subject , google history of Dubai and you wil realize that it actually has more history than NY for example and historical findings dated thousands of years ago ... i dont want to make it sound like a pissing contest , im just using the cities you mentioned as an example

it is a mistake so many others and myself even fell for 10 years back but i was pleaently surprised to find out Dubai actually does have so much history. Unless ofcourse your going to compare it to Egypt , Iraq and yemen , but then youll have to remove every american city off the list of "cities with a history worth mentioning"

im at college now but i will hook you up with some good informative websites when im back home about the history of Dubai and UAE in general

by the way, did you know the emirate of Dubai has mountains and beaches overlooking the indian ocean ?

Yum

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE View Post
Comitted by private companies and the companies that bring them from their own countries by their own people and the government here is working day and night trying to fix it all which is awesome and exactly what is supposed to happen , did he or you for that matter care to elaborate and mention such a point ? ofcourse not its how you guys function.
Human rights are severely lacking in most middle eastern countries, Dubai included. Nothing you say will change that fact.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:27 PM
Hala Wal'la

Did i deny that anywhere Pavillion ? is English your first language ?

Do you know what happens in your own backyard when it comes to human rights violations ?

Yum

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Did i deny that anywhere Pavillion ? is English your first language ?

Do you know what happens in your own backyard when it comes to human rights violations ?
I suspect you know what I'm referring to but are simply unwilling to accept reality or plainly saving face for the country you obviously have an affinity for and thus biased opinion of.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:20 PM
Hala Wal'la

huh ?

Fine, avoid answering simple questions with suspecion spam based on gutt feelings ....

Yum

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:31 PM

The slave labor is only part of the problem, not the whole. I am well aware of what happens in my backyard, are you?

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:52 PM
Hala Wal'la

Yes i am , problem here is, in your first post , you accused me of denying them based on suspecions .....

slave labor ? slave is taking things waaaaay out of proportion , this is not slavery. Its taking advantage of men in a weak position by not paying them on time or not at all for months at a time (government fining companies that do so) .... putting 10 in a room when there should only be 5 or 6 in there maximum (Government has inforced laws , very strict ones might i add) and ofcourse since they are human they would like cleaner toilets and running water (its their freakin right and the gov is also inforcing companies to improve the standard of labor accommadation) You should have a better clearer idea of what slavery really is. you cant compare whats going on to the labor in Dubai to the slavery scene in the U.S for example not even 100 years ago.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Government/10315073.html
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Employment/10315208.html

Yum

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Pizzuti you seem like the kind of person that wouldnt mind reading a little more on a certain subject , google history of Dubai and you wil realize that it actually has more history than NY for example and historical findings dated thousands of years ago ... i dont want to make it sound like a pissing contest , im just using the cities you mentioned as an example

it is a mistake so many others and myself even fell for 10 years back but i was pleaently surprised to find out Dubai actually does have so much history. Unless ofcourse your going to compare it to Egypt , Iraq and yemen , but then youll have to remove every american city off the list of "cities with a history worth mentioning"

im at college now but i will hook you up with some good informative websites when im back home about the history of Dubai and UAE in general

by the way, did you know the emirate of Dubai has mountains and beaches overlooking the indian ocean ?
The word HISTORY is not the same as the word PAST. I understand what you're saying - and I mean no disrespect to Dubai.

But HISTORY is when the current situation exists in reference to the past.

Dubai was a small town until suddenly it was a global city. There isn't continuation; it's as though you demolished the small town and simply put a new town on top.

Say they discovered an American Indian burial ground under Los Angeles - and found it to be 10,000 years old. Does that mean that Lost Angeles has a 10,000 year history? I would say no, you just tapped into the history of something different. Or landed there.

History is forged by something having developed slowly and steadily. For example, the UK legal system has no constitution, it is based on a thousand years of precedent. It is history because it gives people the ability to say "remember last time we did this?" and modify their behavior, or just pay homage to something they feel deeply connected to. The London street grid is hundreds of years old and modern streets are where they are in reference to the old street - and the culture exists in reference to past social issues.

I just don't think the Burj Dubai was built in reference to medieval Dubai. There isn't a past. Nobody said "remember last time we smoothed out the desert and built skyscrapers in Dubai?" And I don't think that David Beckham (who I hear owns a mansion in Dubai) feels much of a personal connection to the Arabic ancient Dubai.

That isn't an insult to Dubai - it will develop a history with time, inevitably. I do believe it would be better if it had the opportunity to learn from its mistakes. I think they'd be more reluctant to lay out the city the way they're doing it now. But in the future it will be able to look back and reference itself. 50 years from now there will be history in Dubai and 100 years from now there will be a colorful one.

When the poor construction workers who are building Dubai have children, who go to school and become middle-class, and then their children go to school and become upper middle class - lets imagine that someday, a poor Pakastani immigrant's great-grandchild is the mayor of Dubai - THEN that person can proudly say "my ancestors helped build this city with their own labor." THAT'S what it means to have history.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
No sunbelt city is listed.
Not yet anyway. Next big building boom, I'm sure we'll see Miami on the list

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:03 PM

Looking at that first list and laughing at how wrong it is

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States