HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

The Official Calgary Firepit Thread

Wow, the first night I have to leave my windows open all night to cool the house off, so of course the local savages spark up the pollution.

This wouldn't grind my gears so much if it just followed some logic - you don't need a fire when it's +18, you pansies. Have it when it's COLD out, and you won't be causing your neighbours to wake up coughing.

Let the flamewar begin. Let's try to keep this semi-civil, not that I have started that way or anything.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 3:50 PM

I like the fact that Calgary allows fire pits. I can't see this lasting forever as many major cities outlaw installing wood burning fireplaces due to smoke and pollution. But for now, it's a nice to have. I also noticed the smell of smoke coming into our house last night. It was faint, so I didn't particularly mind it. It was the sound of sirens that caught my attention with the smoke more than anything (then again, living above Memorial and between Edmonton Trail and Centre St. we hear a lot of sirens)

<- posted simply for the flames relating to the topic

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 5:20 PM

I don't think having a fire always has to go hand in hand with cold weather... there's a recreation to it as well. I like to roast hot dogs/marshmallows, and sit around it with friends and family enjoying great company and a nice, cold one

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 6:50 PM

Be aware that the smell of smoke, especially if you were in the NW, was possibly not from a neighbors firepit. There is a good sized controlled burn happening north of Canmore this weekend and the smoke is carrying all the way to the edge of the city at least. We could smell it pretty good in Cochrane last night when the winds blew from the west.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 8:38 PM
IMHO

The thing that will get fire pits banned is stupid, inconsiderate people. If you burn clean wood, keep your fire small, and don't keep going until 1 in the morning, I don't have a problem. I don't think there is a law right now saying you can't have a fire going late into the night - perhaps fires need to be tied into noise laws to kill the fires at 10pm along with the noise.

I've seen a propane fire pit that looked pretty nice. Unfortunately, that might be the next stage of things. They don't have the charm of a wood-burning fire though.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 11:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Be aware that the smell of smoke, especially if you were in the NW, was possibly not from a neighbors firepit. There is a good sized controlled burn happening north of Canmore this weekend and the smoke is carrying all the way to the edge of the city at least. We could smell it pretty good in Cochrane last night when the winds blew from the west.
Hmm, that may explain why it seemed so damned pervasive last night. I didn't think of any real large burns going on because it feels like we're in a mini-drought right now and I can't imagine it being safe.

Agreed with the other comments about the idiots ruining it for everyone. Unfortunately that seems to be the majority of fire owners that I've seen - the types that want to keep it up till 1am, and always on warm nights when clearly all of your neighbours will have their windows open, and invariably get very hostile when you suggest that their enjoyment might possibly affect other people. Yes, I'm sure it's a very fun activity if you lived in a bubble completely isolated from humanity - but much like cranking your stereo all hours of the night, we have this little thing called civilization which implies you need to actually think about someone other than yourself.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 4:23 AM

I don't mind the smell of smoke - actually I kind of like it. Granted I'm not faced with it every night and it doesn't seem to blow directly into my house. My neighbours seem pretty considerate and it doesn't usually continue until late into the night either.

I also like the smell of those burning coals that they use to thaw the ground in the winter when they need to dig somewhere. Yeah - I'm a weird one. My sister recently confessed to liking that smell too. We also both like the smell of new electronics. You know the one.

Also - thanks Mersar for the info about the controlled burn near Canmore. I have noticed that this evening it is pretty hazy and smoky in the NW especially. But, as noted above, I'm liking it. Windows all open tonight.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation