HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:12 PM

Here's some photos I have found on Flickr:

Downtown from Mount-Royal 1964
Le centre-ville de Montréal, 1964, VM94-SY-AD12-020 by Archives de la Ville de Montréal, on Flickr

Downtown 1964
Centre-ville de Montréal, secteur Notre-Dame et Windsor. – Vers 1964. VM94-Ad-013-010. Archives de la Ville de Montréal. by Archives de la Ville de Montréal, on Flickr

Downtown 1965
Vue aérienne de Montréal. – 1965. VM94-Ad-069-011. Archives de la Ville de Montréal. by Archives de la Ville de Montréal, on Flickr

Downtown 1965
12 mai 1965. Vue de Montréal / Robert Vandensteene. VM94-A0202-001. Archives de la Ville de Montréal. by Archives de la Ville de Montréal, on Flickr

Autostade (late 60's?)
autostade by LI Phil, on Flickr

Downtown from Mount-Royal 1973
Montréal hiver 72-73 by Gaetan Martineau, on Flickr

Later the same year at night
Montreal 1973 - downtown skyscrapers at night from Mount Royal by edk7, on Flickr

Complexe Desjardins in construction 1975
Construction du Complexe Desjardins (1975) by Gaetan Martineau, on Flickr

Tower-less Olympic Stadium 1976
Jeux olympiques : Photographies diverses. Parc olympique. - 1976. Archives de la Ville de Montréal. VM94-Od04-016 by Archives de la Ville de Montréal, on Flickr

Another tower-less stadium from an un know date (80's?)
Snowy Stadium by Peter Anthony Holder, on Flickr

Downtown somewhere in the 80's
Montreal Skyline by Peter Anthony Holder, on Flickr

Nun's island in background
Hoover by PVM by Peter Anthony Holder, on Flickr

Downtown in 1983
Bassin de l'Horloge (1983) by Gaetan Martineau, on Flickr

Downtown from Mount-Royal 1988
19880531_101-29 by André Querry, on Flickr

1250 René-Lévesque (IBM tower) under construction 1990
Montreal Skyline by Striderv, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^great finds.

Nightlife on the street during that era:

metalka's flickr

1920s Montreal

mtlblog
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

gettyimages

wow, I remember that horrid parking lot north of the CN tower.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Kentucky Bucket under Construction:

makecalgary

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:31 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

gettyimages

wow, I remember that horrid parking lot north of the CN tower.
Amazing..this photo is both soul-crushing and inspiring! Soul-crushing due to its dystopian, grim and lonely vibe. All this while simultaneously being inspiring due to the massive progress we've made since then and how close we are to having a mature and complete downtown built form, finally! I wonder how many beautiful turn of the century buildings were paved over for that parking lot.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Kentucky Bucket under Construction:

makecalgary
Is there ever any talk in Calgary about taking that tower down? It seems a bit lost in the new Calgary skyline.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:39 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is there ever any talk in Calgary about taking that tower down? It seems a bit lost in the new Calgary skyline.
With all the new towers filling in the area around the CN Tower, it already looks like a KFC bucket from many angles. I hope a day comes, in the not too distant future, that we get a really tall tower with observation deck to outdo it in the height department...possibly call it the "Unity Tower", "Toronto Tower", "Center of the Universe" () or something like that. Time to up our game and set a higher bar for us to aspire towards!

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:58 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Apparently, the tower was designed to have future extensions.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:51 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I wonder how many beautiful turn of the century buildings were paved over for that parking lot.

None. It was a railyard:

http://peoplemaps.esri.com/toronto/

Most of the once-parking lot-strewn expanses of the southern edge of downtown & the waterfront were originally either heavy industry, rail infrastructure, or just undeveloped. Some unfortunate lots aside, most of the heritage losses in Toronto were at least to be replaced with another building.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Some of those tracks may have come in handy now, providing more options for passenger station capacity downtown... e.g., imagine a terminating station there for GO traffic coming into Union from the west. Or alternatively, along the lines that were between the existing Union Station rail corridor and the Gardiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
None. It was a railyard:

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:27 PM

More tracks would have only meant a larger divide from the city to the lake. As it stands Union Station has 23 platforms, more then most large urban stations in North America. We could use more rail service in the GTA but that section of Toronto is not where it's needed.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:58 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Some of those tracks may have come in handy now, providing more options for passenger station capacity downtown... e.g., imagine a terminating station there for GO traffic coming into Union from the west. Or alternatively, along the lines that were between the existing Union Station rail corridor and the Gardiner.

I'm not sure how concrete it is at this point, but there's talk of creating a new western terminal station at the Bathurst North railyard at Front & Spadina.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:27 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
More tracks would have only meant a larger divide from the city to the lake. As it stands Union Station has 23 platforms, more then most large urban stations in North America. We could use more rail service in the GTA but that section of Toronto is not where it's needed.
I get what you're saying and agree that the divide is unfortunate from the perspective of a better urban environment (and that's where scenarios like covering tracks for new parkland or other uses come in, but at large cost even given the corridor's width today). The problem is, that's where the transportation demand is so something is needed, but the options are limited.

I've heard about the Bathurst terminal idea MonkeyRonin noted. They could also reconfigure some of the platforms at Union for terminating service -- extend the shed and a number of platforms east and west, and have a wider centre walkway cutting across between them (though this may cause some pedestrian congestion within the station... would have to see how it would work under the current concourse expansion, where the choke points would be)

A discussion for a different thread, but I think we've done a poor job protecting for transportation corridors or corridor expansions in general, all over the GTHA, as urban development has spread and encroached on the existing ones. Especially for rail corridors, now that they've become more important again for people movement.

Regardless, I love seeing those old photos. So, so much has changed even in just a few decades.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 4:41 PM

Rue St-Joseph in Quebec City cerca 1895

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Soci%C3%...301478/photos/

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 7:57 PM

/\ wow!

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 8:17 PM
Look at me!

What a sight indeed.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Sleazy 70s Vancouver, by Greg Girard (via instagram, http://www.imgrum.org/user/gregforaday/692890340)

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:15 PM

Ovaltine was one of my favorite places to go for a inexpensive breakfast when in Van. Was there only a couple of years ago. Have not been back in that area for but was told it is still there. Remember taking my wife there for the first time and having to step over a street person to get in. Brother used to take celebrities there when he was in town.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Apparently, the tower was designed to have future extensions.
That's really interesting. Apparently they can extend it by another 100 m, so it could once again be the king of the Calgary skyline. Would be really cool in they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
With all the new towers filling in the area around the CN Tower, it already looks like a KFC bucket from many angles. I hope a day comes, in the not too distant future, that we get a really tall tower with observation deck to outdo it in the height department...possibly call it the "Unity Tower", "Toronto Tower", "Center of the Universe" () or something like that. Time to up our game and set a higher bar for us to aspire towards!
Nothing is more iconic of Toronto than the CN tower, it shouldn't be replaced, certainly not by a conventional glass skyscraper.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:37 PM

Great 70's pics. It's hard to find any city in the 70's that didn't look shady.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada