HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
This was taken months before 9/11. Summer of 2001. The Verizon building has the scaffolding and blue tarps(?) all over. The Battery Park City buildings on the left are under construction, but are not as far along as they were in September. Tough to think how much would change in the world in just a few weeks... If nothing else it taught me to cherish every moment we have.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 5:26 AM

Some shots my dad took circa 1984, years before I'd end up working there. I was seven when these were taken and was in complete awe at the size of the Towers. They were the first "real" skyscrapers I'd ever seen in person, probably why I fell in love with them.

A Southward View, 1984 by Chapelo, on Flickr

Lower Manhattan Skyline, 1984 by Chapelo, on Flickr

A Manhattan Morning, 1984 by Chapelo, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 11:42 PM
An Optimistic Realist

From PhotoScream's Photos

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 3:55 AM

41 years ago, December 23, 1970: The North Tower is topped out at 1,368 feet, making it the tallest building in the world.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 5:11 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Even with the new WTC being built, which will be amazing in their own rights, nothing with beat the iconic skyline views of the original twins.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 8:17 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Even with the new WTC being built, which will be amazing in their own rights, nothing with beat the iconic skyline views of the original twins.
I'm with you on that......

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
This was taken months before 9/11. Summer of 2001. The Verizon building has the scaffolding and blue tarps(?) all over. The Battery Park City buildings on the left are under construction, but are not as far along as they were in September. Tough to think how much would change in the world in just a few weeks... If nothing else it taught me to cherish every moment we have.
A stunning, beautiful picture on a postcard-type day. Much like the day the world changed forever.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 11:23 PM

Something from Philippe Petit. The man that walked between them on a tightrope on 1974. It's old but it's sad and a bit haunting.

My Towers, Our Towers
I walked a tightrope from one to the other--and I watched them die.

By Philippe Petit
Saturday, September 13, 2003 12:01 A.M. EDT

Quote:
You breathe, don't you?

So do I. And so did they, the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. Whenever a cloud interrupted the sunshine that made their silver robes flutter chromatically, the drop in temperature caused the steel skeletons to contract a little; when it passed, they expanded again.

You and I groan in anger at times. So did they, when gales forced them to sway, although they had been designed to win that sort of tug-of-war.

All this I know for a fact; because I rigged a cable between the two towers, from crown to crown--the appellation for the inclined setback of the top floors that supported the roof, coined by Leslie Robertson, the buildings' structural engineer.

That gray morning of Aug. 7, 1974, the twins, separated at birth, acquiesced in a temporary union, as they welcomed a trespassing poet determined to etch his destiny upon the sky. I linked them with a smile, that of my cable's catenary curve. The curve of my involuntary smile mirrored that of the cable as I took my first steps. The towers whispered in awe. At midcrossing, I sat down to contemplate the horizon and noticed that it, like my balancing pole, was slightly curved; the towers had imparted to me a most important discovery: "The earth is round!" They quieted down the moment I genuflected, so that I could hear the clamoring of the astonished audience that had gathered a quarter of a mile below. The towers kindly held their breath as I lay down upon the wire, they eavesdropped on my silent dialogue with a red-eyed seagull that hovered above me.
That morning, the Twin Towers became my towers.

Six years earlier, learning of their impending birth, I had decided to conquer them. I watched them grow. I spied on them. I fell in love. Then, under cover of night, I married them, with a seven-eighths-inch steel cable composed of six strands of 19 wires each. At daybreak, the entire world was our witness.

For what seemed an eternity, we enjoyed each other. I visited them often, through the ups and downs of their colorful lives. I introduced them to my friends and family. And then, on a perfectly clear blue September morning, I watched them die, stabbed in the back by assassins who vaporized in mid-air.

I heard my towers cry for help for a long, long time. I listened in anguish, powerless, to their last sighs. I witnessed their collapse and fell silent, eviscerated. Where had they gone? Who besides me knew that, despite 200,000 tons of steel, glass, concrete, and aluminum, the towers were made mostly of air? Between every piece of solid material, air! Mostly air. Could it be air to air? Like ashes to ashes?

Fluidly, in a deadly cascade of smoke and debris, in a matter of seconds, they erased themselves, taking thousands of human lives with them.

I close my eyes, I remember and pay my respect to the victims and their families. That dreadful morning, my towers became your towers, our towers.

Eleven years ago, when my young daughter died without warning, the dean of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, the Very Rev. James Parks Morton, came to my side. He offered me guidance from his heart, but quite commandingly: "Speak of her in the present; you must not use the past tense!"
When asked today, "Do you have children?" I answer, "Yes, I have a daughter named Gypsy. She is 9 1/2 years old, and no longer alive."

So are my Twin Towers, our Twin Towers, gone, yet still standing tall, made of thin air, yet gloriously defying the sunset on this warm late summer evening.

Look at them!
http://theredhead-objectsinspace.blo...n-on-wire.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:57 PM
Crane Goddess

^Beautiful, simply beautiful!
I've got Petit's book, all about his famous highwire act, it reads just like that!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:25 AM

Just had to post it here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Then how about this? Still represents NYC, and everyone knows them from around the world. This person took the pictures in the year 2000.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeraj...n/photostream/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more with this statement. The twins will always be THE image of New York.
I am loving the photos on this thread. I have some of my own from 1994, will have to try and find the box they're stored in and post if I can.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:25 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

I agree , these pics are special to look at

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:28 AM

I found this HD video on Youtube of them by a news company that had an HD camera in the 90's. Enjoy.

Video Link

And a NY Times Interactive with a virtual tour of the World Trade Center.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...as-it-was.html

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:38 AM
Khurram Parvaz

In my opinion this is still the BEST documentary I've ever seen, and I've seen it a trillion times and it never gets old.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:57 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I've seen it before. Is pretty good.

Video Link

Last edited by jd3189; Mar 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:06 PM
Khurram Parvaz

You know after watching the documentary above a few second ago I just thought something... Since the World Trade Center in 1973, there really hasn't been a project in the United States (maybe even the world) where so many people benefited. Think about it. NJ (a different STATE) got a revamped (PATH) Port Authority Trans-Hudson commuter rail line. NY ofcourse got the Trade Center. Many (MANY) people got jobs. The city got over 20 acres of new land in Battery Park City. Downtown got 10 msf of new office space. The field of construction got new methods of how to construct a building 1) Slurry Trench Method 2) Kangaroo Crane (first time in the U.S) 3) Exterior load bearing walls 4) CPM (Critical Path Method) etc. The city got beautiful additions to the skyline (they were GREAT). The WORLD got the tallest buildings. Is there anyone or anything the Trade Center didn't benefit. As I said in the beginning of this post, the world (I'll go that far) THE WORLD hasn't has such a unique and efficient and benefiting project since the OLD World Trade Center. This is just something the NEW Wtc can't accomplish, and I think people seem to forget that. They were great weren't they.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:59 AM

I miss these towers like you wouldn't believe. I miss the people I worked with, the elevator trek to the 99th floor, the views, the great food and entertainment that could be had at the WTC, the way New York and the world was before 9/11, just absolutely perfect (well, maybe not perfect, but certainly comfortable.)

I can't even put it into words, because there are no words to describe it. You had to be there.

New York in 1998 - 2000 was a very special place. It'll never be the same again.

Last edited by Chapelo; Feb 14, 2012 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:20 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ I like how you said 2000 because that's when everything was GOOD. We still had the Twins, the Stock Market reached an ALL TIME high. Everyone was happy. The only people who were unemployed were the ones who deliberately didn't want to work. The Trade Center was full of activity (an all time high), and FULL of tenants. The Windows on the World restaurant reached an all times sales record and become the TOP restaurant in the U.S. The underground mall became the (one OF) the most visited malls in the U.S and definitely the most visited in NYC. The President was still Bill Clinton. There were NO wars. The Trade Center was in every movie literally from left to right. The WORLD Trade Center really brought the world together (let me explain). The window washer at the WTC was Russian. A custodian (last person to come out the Trade Center alive on 9/11) was Hispanic. The architect was Japanese (American). People from all over the world worked for companies tenanted at the Trade Center (from China, India, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Brazil, Canada, Australia etc.) That's something we will NEVER get back.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:23 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I found this HD video on Youtube of them by a news company that had an HD camera in the 90's. Enjoy.

Video Link

And a NY Times Interactive with a virtual tour of the World Trade Center.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...as-it-was.html
Thank you for posting this. Tough not to get misty-eyed. Words cannot even begin to express how much I miss the 1990s (and 2000-01).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 4:25 AM

One of the interesting things is before 9/11 an act like what Philippe Petit did on the Twin Towers in 1974 would not end up in someone getting shot, but if something like that happened today they would shoot first and ask questions later. We lost our innocence on 9/11. I wished the new World Trade Center would have the same effect, but we will never now till 30 years after 9/11.

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Feb 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture