HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:13 PM

/\ never give them money and urge your friends to do the same. They only do it because it works. If you want to give to the less fortunate, give money to a charity (I'm not implying that you guys give them money).

I seem to remember many many threads about this topic all over these forums, the most memorable being one about San francisco beggars. Cweiss, it happens everywhere in most "real" cities, don't get discouraged about mill/Tempe.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:22 PM
BANNED

We want urban, but it seems we want sanitized too. Go to any major city, there are panhandlers. It's part of what makes cities, cities. It's that intermingling among the different types of people, I feel, that make great cities. I rather be on Mill being solicited by panhandlers than at a suburban Costco watching families buy tons of useless shit (IMO).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
We want urban, but it seems we want sanitized too. Go to any major city, there are panhandlers. It's part of what makes cities, cities. It's that intermingling among the different types of people, I feel, that make great cities. I rather be on Mill being solicited by panhandlers than at a suburban Costco watching families buy tons of useless shit (IMO).
LOL I totally agree!!! You guys called out an important thought- that really, any real urban environment is going to have type of activity, and it really is part of the urban fabric.
For the most part, I feel like Tempe does a decent job of presenting Mill Avenue (and the rest of downtown Tempe) as a legitimate urban environment, and there IS a lot of work put in to keeping the area as clean and safe as possible. I used to work at Starbucks on 5th and Mill, and a couple of times a week- early in the morning, there were crews that would come by and power wash the brick sidewalks, bus stops etc- to keep things looking "fresh and clean."
I think more troubling to me- and I think at least some of you all will agree, are the number of vacant lots still haunting the "dead zone" of downtown Tempe between Mill and College! I look forward to a day when we see much more energy and activity between Farmer and College- a downtown that has Mill Ave at its center, but is not JUST Mill Ave.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 4:09 AM

I live on Mill & work on Veterans. Although compared to you I rarely run into them, I understand your concerns and agree it is annoying when I do encounter begging. If they pursue to do "Aggressive panhandling", you are legally allowed to call the local police department and report them in most cities. This includes threats, intimidation (i.e. begging around a business such as a bank), etc. Cities are legally allowed to put laws on panhandling. They can considered it as false advertisement, illegal advertising, and illegal soliciting. Orlando, Boston, and other cities have laws that make it illegal to beg in their downtown. So it is up to COT to make these laws. I would contact your local government to complain & not post this on a projects thread!!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I live on Mill & work on Veterans. Although compared to you I rarely run into them, I understand your concerns and agree it is annoying when I do encounter begging. If they pursue to do "Aggressive panhandling", you are legally allowed to call the local police department and report them in most cities. This includes threats, intimidation (i.e. begging around a business such as a bank), etc. Cities are legally allowed to put laws on panhandling. They can considered it as false advertisement, illegal advertising, and illegal soliciting. Orlando, Boston, and other cities have laws that make it illegal to beg in their downtown. So it is up to COT to make these laws. I would contact your local government to complain & not post this on a projects thread!!
Good to know. Guy usually by Campus Corner and Subway that gets a bit mouthy. One time he was in the middle of receiving some cigarettes and lighter and a twenty yet for no sense of gratitude to these two generous people he tried to get me to chip in too.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 6:43 PM
BANNED

It's a college town, that begging/panhandling/petitioning/performing should be completely expected. Imagine the neighborhood without all of those interesting things going on, it would be pretty dull.

Meanwhile, the aforementioned people are nowhere near as annoying as the sleezy real estate agent following people around trying to hand out his card in case they wanted to "buy or sell a home" in the future. I did get a good giggle though, when he handed his card to a small group of homeless kids who said "do we look like we are going to buy a home?"

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
There is a rendering of this project that has been posted before, but it appears that it is on track towards breaking ground soon. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...3-million.html
Starting to feel a little Denver Tech Center'ish.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 7:18 PM

The tower crane for the hotel in downtown Tempe is up. It looks to
Be 12-15 stories high. Cool to see 2 in downtown at once. When is the last time there was one in DT-town lake period? 08?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 8:39 PM

Quote:
The tower crane for the hotel in downtown Tempe is up. It looks to
Be 12-15 stories high. Cool to see 2 in downtown at once. When is the last time there was one in DT-town lake period? 08?
2007 per Urban Realty

Noticed Monti's La Casa Vieja remodeling is underway.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:31 AM

Pics of the tower crane for the Marriott Residence Inn. I took them from the train with my cell phone, so please excuse the quality.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:19 AM

The nicest part of all this is its just the beginning. By early 2013 we should see up to 4 or 5 more cranes up in addition to these two. This includes:

The District on Apache (905 bed 6-story student housing) In Construction
Terrace/Eighth/Rural apartment project (2 20 story towers) early 2013
Hayden Ferry office III (10 story tower) possibly late 2012?
Villas at South Bank (1 17-story tower) mid-late 2012
Sky Tower? (40-story tower) Planning

I am not keeping my fingers crossed on Sky Tower but it would be a fabulous project. After researching the developer, it seems that they own multiple apartments around the valley, but this project seems a bit ambitious for their small company. It would be interesting to see if they have to fight with COT & FFA for height (assuming it would be 400+ ft.). Would they be able to secure financing? Who knows...we will find out. Good to see urbanism spread off Mill to College, University, East Rio Salado, Rural, and even Apache!

Oh & one more thing to keep an eye on is the Block 12 development. I have a feeling they will break ground soon since they said in November of last year they were hoping for a fall 2013 opening, the recent archaeology dig, and the fact that Mill Avenue District has put it "under construction" on their page. They must have a source or have been told that it is in planning.
http://www.millavenue.com/business/under-construction

Last edited by Spitfiredude; Jun 18, 2012 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:30 PM

Spitfiredude...you also failed to mention:
the Fountainhead development (14 stories- beginning 4Q 2012?) as well as the
buisness complex redevelopment at Elliot and the 101 (3 bldgs 4-8 stories? -which is already underway) and the
Agro at Tempe Town Lake (6 stories- 2012/2013).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:47 PM

I can't wait until the hub and Block 12 are finished. College ave will be a great street to compliment mill.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:38 AM

Quote:

Oh & one more thing to keep an eye on is the Block 12 development. I have a feeling they will break ground soon since they said in November of last year they were hoping for a fall 2013 opening, the recent archaeology dig, and the fact that Mill Avenue District has put it "under construction" on their page. They must have a source or have been told that it is in planning.
http://www.millavenue.com/business/under-construction
Interesting different renderings from the Block 12 Study I found on ASU's site before they took it down. Speaking of College Avenue, the SAA (Student Alumni Association Facebook had an inquiry if people would be interested if they closed down College Avenue for a pregame block party.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Predictions...post your opinion too
Personally, I predict office space is soon to see a surge in development here in Tempe. Especially at South Bank-now that the first South Bank project is less than 6 months from construction. I am assuming that the South Bank developer has chose to move forward because there are other projects in that area that are in the interests/planning stages that we do not know about. It is too much of an isolated project to assume a developer would take a shot like that without other surrounding parcels in planning.
I drove by the South Bank (Rio Salado) site this morning and there were about a dozen cars and pickups parked down there. There were a bunch of people looking into the giant excavated holes so it appears things are about to start. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Interesting different renderings from the Block 12 Study I found on ASU's site before they took it down. Speaking of College Avenue, the SAA (Student Alumni Association Facebook had an inquiry if people would be interested if they closed down College Avenue for a pregame block party.

ASU took it down because this is no longer the design that is being developed. The schematic phase of the project was done by RSP. But the actual design is going to be done by Gensler and Archtekton. In my opinion, I think it will probably will end up being a better project. I am sure some of the ideas developed here will carry on to the next phase. The building will also be housing the School of Construction Management. Unfortunately, I don't have any info on when this project might begin to be built.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:07 AM

Facebook(ed) the SAA at ASU & received this word on the block party for ASU football games next year...

The "block party" is actually going to be closer to Mill on 6th St. and it will be called Devils on Mill. We couldn't close down College Ave due to too much construction as well as some other factors. It will be for every game except Homecoming (of course). We're excited about your enthusiam and will keep you and everyone else posted! Everything is still in the planning stage, but it will be awesome!

I wonder if too much construction could include a possibility of the start of construction for Block 12, if its going to start soon..? Just a thought, but cool to know that there will finally be block parties for football games. Overdue for a university nearing 70,000...

It seems that the thread has been dull lately. All exciting news is out? Seems that DT Phoenix is now getting a shot of development with the Collier & Golub centers...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:23 AM

Block 12 construction isn't starting in the next couple of months.
I have classes in the little building on the northwest corner at 7th and College this coming Semester.
Not to say they can't start on the rest of the property, but that corner will not be touched until possibly after December.
But we are the last graduating class in this major before they move it from being a Design Major to more of a Real Estate Major.
So this time next year for sure, they can be working on Block 12. Hopefully.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:35 AM

Picture of the 2 tower cranes in the downtown area I took this afternoon.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Facebook(ed) the SAA at ASU & received this word on the block party for ASU football games next year...

The "block party" is actually going to be closer to Mill on 6th St. and it will be called Devils on Mill. We couldn't close down College Ave due to too much construction as well as some other factors. It will be for every game except Homecoming (of course). We're excited about your enthusiam and will keep you and everyone else posted! Everything is still in the planning stage, but it will be awesome!

I wonder if too much construction could include a possibility of the start of construction for Block 12, if its going to start soon..? Just a thought, but cool to know that there will finally be block parties for football games. Overdue for a university nearing 70,000...

It seems that the thread has been dull lately. All exciting news is out? Seems that DT Phoenix is now getting a shot of development with the Collier & Golub centers...
Weird can't find it on their FB page. Remember they posted a status gauging interest and concerns. One person brought up that it would block off the Fulton garage.
About to make a photo post on construction around the campus tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest