HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:29 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Love the design of Core Central Park West. I think easily became my favorite highrise project for Energy Corridor. The Energy Center trio being close seconds.

The new Millennium Tower should compliment it's sibling tower and Park West Tower 1 nicely as it's around the same height and floor plan. The three tallest of West Chase.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Single family bungalows next to 10-story apartment buildings next to 25-story office towers. Houston is silly and I love it.
There's also the 500 ft Huntingdon just down the street from these new developments! Although there aren't that many bungalows left, most are being torn down and replaced by a mansions a little too small for their lots. I love the mish mash caused by no zoning, although I seem to be one of the few Houstonians who does! I just don't understand how people in the inner core(pretty much the NIMBYs inside I610) are surprised that they have towers being built next to their houses. I'm shocked that they can get them stopped though!(1717 Bissonnet) This place is crazy.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 10:18 PM

Don't know if any of you remember this one, it's been quietly lurking for years now. lockmat on HAIF found these new renders.

A.D. Players Theatre in Uptown

http://www.swagroup.com/projects?loc...nited%20States

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 3:55 AM

More super-tall rumors/info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton on HAIF
When I post information on this site, I usually know my sources fairly well, so disclaimer... this information is NOT from someone I know too well so I don't know how reliable this information is. But he does currently work at the Texaco building renovation site.

This person told me that an 80-story building is planned directly across 59 from Minute Maid Park. It will be located next to the light rail station and the Dynamo Stadium. I can't remember exactly the numbers he tossed around but something about a hotel/retail/condo mix with a parking garage at the bottom levels. I was wondering if maybe this was just some old pre-recessionary rumor floating around so I asked him how long has he known about it: he told me it has been in the works for the past couple of years.

Again, this isn't one of my best sources so I imagine you can take it with a grain of salt but I figured I'd still share it nonetheless.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
More super-tall rumors/info:
Hey Urby, is this the same one or just a totally different supertall? ������

Edit: arche also had a rumor way before kinda sounds like the one Tritons talking about, maybe there are 2 different supertall proposals? (Possibly three)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htowngrown View Post
There's also the 500 ft Huntingdon just down the street from these new developments! Although there aren't that many bungalows left, most are being torn down and replaced by a mansions a little too small for their lots. I love the mish mash caused by no zoning, although I seem to be one of the few Houstonians who does! I just don't understand how people in the inner core(pretty much the NIMBYs inside I610) are surprised that they have towers being built next to their houses. I'm shocked that they can get them stopped though!(1717 Bissonnet) This place is crazy.
One thing is for sure...as Houston continues to boom, geography combined with a lack of zoning will create a city unlike any other major city this country has ever seen. There will be no mistaking a picture of Houston soon, its image is getting more distinct by the minute.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 3:51 PM

Updates by Triton on HAIF - 2/8

Texaco Building Reno

1111 Travis (Block 256)

1400 Texas (Block 52)

Sunset Coffee Allen's Landing Building

Updates by Skylineview on HAIF - 2/8

BHP Billiton

Astoria

Hanover Post Oak

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:55 PM

Updates by infinite_jim on HAIF - 2/8

Skyhouse

2/8 by Infinite_jim

Mickey Leland Federal Building

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:10 PM

All these commercial and residential real-state is great for the city, but unless METRO and city official hurry up and upgrade the system, the city will shock itself with all the traffic, I'm sure we're not that behind LA (traffic wise)..

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
You make a good point, I see it as a replica of the Four Season tower in Austin but could be own by another hotel chain.
Then again, that model may just be the Four Seasons in Austin.

Houston still needs a W, but the market's getting a lot of new boutique product, so that need may be overcome by events.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Texas Children’s Hospital recently broke ground on its 548,000-square-foot facility expected to open in 2017. Houston’s FKP Architects designed the facility and Houston-based Tellepsen Builders is the construction manager.
Any renders yet? That's going to be a fairly big building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
One thing is for sure...as Houston continues to boom, geography combined with a lack of zoning will create a city unlike any other major city this country has ever seen.
Though a lot the city panoramas make it look like Chicago. Maybe that's the uniqueness of Houston; it looks in spots like other cities - New Orleans, Los Angeles, Chicago, Paris, Delhi... And not necessarily by intent.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow I cant believe they are actually restoring that building on Allens Landing finally. Thats great.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Then again, that model may just be the Four Seasons in Austin.

Houston still needs a W, but the market's getting a lot of new boutique product, so that need may be overcome by events.
I was thinking that as well. But it's cool because Houston is on fire with so many projects starting or about to start.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wow I cant believe they are actually restoring that building on Allens Landing finally. Thats great.
You and preserving junk 😝 hehe jk. Pretty glad to see this one being restored although somehow i thought it was already.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Though a lot the city panoramas make it look like Chicago. Maybe that's the uniqueness of Houston; it looks in spots like other cities - New Orleans, Los Angeles, Chicago, Paris, Delhi... And not necessarily by intent.
I think Houston most resembles LA. Let's be honest....Paris? Really lol. No city in America looks like Paris and especially not Houston.

And why are the sidewalks in Houston so small even on main drags? They're puny...mainly outside of downtown. Houston is such a weird city to me.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 6:43 AM

That's what makes Houston unique. Some love it some hate it... It is what it is.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 6:46 AM

Btw I'm glad there making good progress on the Mickey Leland Federal Building. Loving that blue glass.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:15 AM

This one will be cool for younger elementary kids and it's entire project has flown under the radar.

80 foot tall Astronaut and Apollo Center & Museum

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/i...ideshow#slide0
Quote:
Never one to pass up a chance to build a towering statue along the highway, legendary Houston artist David Adickes has signed on to design the largest project of his career — an 80-foot concrete astronaut at I-45 and NASA Parkway that would tower over the famous Sam Houston statue in size.

The impressive statue will stand above a newly-proposed education center dedicated to the Apollo space program and its historic moon landings. The City of Webster, which owns the land for the project, will partner with the Apollo and Beyond nonprofit to raise funds for this new space center. The statue and Apollo center, neither of which have any direct affiliation with NASA, are expected to lure as many as 800,000 visitors a year to a community still hurting from the federal agency's cancellation of the space shuttle program in 2011.

The artist envisions a 1960s-era astronaut triumphantly planting an American flag onto a 50-foot pedestal that will feature a small museum. Organizers say the 20,000-square-foot complex, currently dubbed the Apollo and Beyond Center, also will serve as a sort of business and technology incubator for a region with deep ties to the aerospace industry. Multi-purpose meeting areas will host conferences and talks aimed at bringing together area tech talent with international firms. the astronaut would include an elevator to lift visitors atop its massive helmet for sweeping views of Houston and Galveston.
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/i...e-an-elevator/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:07 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think Houston most resembles LA. Let's be honest....Paris? Really lol. No city in America looks like Paris and especially not Houston.
I can sort of understand where toxteth is coming from with that, but I think more what he's going after is the wide variation of scale and style of construction all over, including a lot of imitation architecture meant to resemble other places. I can tell you from many Google Streetview excursions that I've seen apartment blocks throughout 'hoods inside the 610 loop that are meant to evoke blocks from Barcelona, Paris, Rome and everywhere in between, with varying degrees of success. That Streetlights at Midlane project...that's definitely supposed to be a little Paris, a little London, and a dash of New York put in blender and set to puree. All those newer homes in the Heights or even the Woodlands come to mind as well, the ones with the massive two-story sundecks and ceiling fans that look straight out of New Orleans? That was my interpretation.

I used to think Houston was like another Los Angeles, but as I become more familiar with the city (even from afar) and see it evolving at warp speed right now...I really think it's becoming its own animal altogether. If anything, it's taking bits and pieces of perceived correctness from other places and stitching it into the patchwork quilt (which could also be what toxteth was trying to describe).

Last edited by NYC2ATX; Feb 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations