HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I recently drove through Ogden for the first time in years. I have family in Logan and Perry, so I drive along I-15 3 or 4 times per year, but I decided to take a bit of extra time that I usually don't have to check out Ogden.

I was pleasantly surprised at the Junction City development. It seems fairly impressive and quite nice. I haven't read through this thread (just the most recent page) but if I were to live in Ogden, I certainly wouldn't mind living there. Am I right about it being a fairly good development? Or are people in Ogden disappointed with it? What's the consensus?
Junction City development as in the mall replacement / where the movie theater is now? It's nice, like a little Gateway in Ogden. Though like the Gateway full of way too much stucco in its design.

There's also the large riverfront development going on downtown that has a lot of mixed-use components and I think is really cool.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Junction City development as in the mall replacement / where the movie theater is now? It's nice, like a little Gateway in Ogden. Though like the Gateway full of way too much stucco in its design.

There's also the large riverfront development going on downtown that has a lot of mixed-use components and I think is really cool.
Yeah the one by the movie theater is what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 1:46 AM

Snapped a few pics in Ogden over the weekend. Quite a vibrant downtown, and I'm always surprised at the amount of downtown retail and restaurants they have. And there's always some sort of downtown concert or venue going on. Some new developments:

Tower View Apartments

Tower View Apartments from the Junction

Continued work on the Riverfront Development

New apartments at the Riverfront Development

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:58 PM

Very nice, I love seeing updated pictures of Ogden

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 1:55 PM

I like what I'm seeing as far as massing. My only concern is it would seem that Ogden decision makers have not demanded that the Boyeresque developers change their bad habit of slapping up too much stucco, especially of the beige variety. It's particularly frustrating with a city that has such a rich architectural history. I see enough of that ilk in Southern Cali, and Ogden doesn't have the excuse of palm trees and southwestern ambiance.

I do appreciate the look and materials of these units on the right.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 12:59 AM

City of Ogden is buying the Courtyard Inn and will demolish it and turn it into a park.

http://www.standard.net/Local/2017/0...n-Lomond-Hotel

Ogden City to buy, demolish problem motel located behind Ben Lomond Hotel - By MITCH SHAW 8/24 Standard Examiner

" Ogden City is purchasing an old, rundown motel officials say has been notorious for crime and barely livable conditions for years. "

Guy who owns the grass dirt lot below adams on 25th said the empty restaurant (old car dealership?) above Ogden Ave on 25th (below adams) might be a brewery? huge rumor no validity but the idea sounds cool. Would LOVE if Ogden got a brewery where you could consume on site with no food. A licensed 'bar' if you will like Fisher in Salt Lake City

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:03 AM

http://www.standard.net/Faith/2017/0...h-library.html

Ogden is slowly building up a Temple Square. The Church still owns quite a bit of land in this area.

Last edited by UTAZLoVer; Sep 11, 2017 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 12:57 PM

So this is the history library, which will go up next to the LDS Ogden Temple.

UTAZLoVer, have they made progress on demolishing the motel behind Ben Lomond and turning it into a park?

A new FamilySearch Library was announced Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, at a Family History conference at Weber State University.
This photo is taken from a power point presentation shared at the conference. Ground breaking is expected to take place in October.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
So this is the history library, which will go up next to the LDS Ogden Temple.

UTAZLoVer, have they made progress on demolishing the motel behind Ben Lomond and turning it into a park?

A new FamilySearch Library was announced Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, at a Family History conference at Weber State University.
This photo is taken from a power point presentation shared at the conference. Ground breaking is expected to take place in October.
Zero progress. Tenants are still in the motel rooms.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 10:06 PM

Not quite Ogden but think this is the best place,
Farmington Park Lane Commons near Station Park

http://www.chrisfalk.com/farmington-...Fzufi6Fg%3D%3D

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 11:17 PM

hold your breath folks but there is yet ANOTHER coffee shop coming to Ogden.

This time.....wait for it...in the Kiesel Building!

http://www.standard.net/Food/2017/09...-in-Ogden.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:44 PM
Transit Advocate

Ogden is by far my favorite Utah city. Ogden has a ton of gritty charm and one of the best "Main Streets" in the state (second Park City maybe, but I prefer Ogden) But to see continued church incursion into downtown Ogden in the form of the faux art deco temple and now a family history library is disheartening. Do we really need Provo North?

There is a ton of potential in the city in the form of rehabbing some of the old warehouses on Wall Ave and the mixed use housing near Slackwater. Ogden is ripe for startups and VC maker spaces. Can't figure out why there isn't more going on.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:24 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
Ogden is by far my favorite Utah city. Ogden has a ton of gritty charm and one of the best "Main Streets" in the state (second Park City maybe, but I prefer Ogden)

There is a ton of potential in the city in the form of rehabbing some of the old warehouses on Wall Ave and the mixed use housing near Slackwater. Ogden is ripe for startups and VC maker spaces. Can't figure out why there isn't more going on.
Great post, and I couldn't agree more. Ogden is a hoot! My favorite town for sure.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Not quite Ogden but think this is the best place,
Farmington Park Lane Commons near Station Park

http://www.chrisfalk.com/farmington-...Fzufi6Fg%3D%3D
Can I petition to have this sexy building in downtown Salt Lake?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 1:14 AM

While not solid plans it seems like Station Park in Farmington has lots of room to develop just north of it with mixed use development. I hope this will spur some tech development up north. Utah County gets all the sweet tech jobs, but I think Weber/Davis Country is a significantly more desirable place to live for the young tech transplants.

http://www.standard.net/Local/2018/0...tion-Park.html

Farmington plans $1B development to neighbor Station Park

MITCH SHAW, Standard-Examiner Staff

ARMINGTON — In Station Park, Farmington has one of the largest, most successful retail hubs in Northern Utah — a site that figures to provide jobs and send a steady stream of sales tax dollars into city coffers for years to come.

But as much of a boon as that development has been, officials say there’s still a mountain of untapped economic potential on an empty 300-acre swath of land immediately to the north.

“It’s very rare — in a spot like this, where you have this huge retail center and you’ll have three major roadways kind of converging — to have such a big chunk of undeveloped land,” said Farmington City Manager Dave Millheim. “So obviously, we want to make the most of it.”

RELATED: New stores, restaurants opening at Station Park in Farmington

The city is working as a gatekeeper on an effort to bring a large-scale, mixed-use business park to the segment of land, which in addition to its proximity to Station Park, is a stone’s throw from Interstate 15, U.S. 89 and the future West Davis Corridor.

If all goes as planned, the project would put one of the region’s largest employment centers right next to one of its largest commercial complexes.

Farmington Mayor Jim Talbot said completion of the project could still be decades away, but preliminary plans call for the land to be filled with a mix of office, retail, light commercial, residential and open space.

The city thinks the development could ultimately result in 10,000 jobs. By comparison, the Boyer Business Depot Ogden employs about 6,000.

The piece of land includes 29 separate parcels and 20 different property owners, but 10 of those property owners hold more than 92 percent of the total land. That majority group, which includes Farmington City, is on board to sell or lease land or otherwise contribute to the undertaking, Millheim said.

“That’s been difficult, getting all of these property owners on the same page,” he said. “It took some time, but we’ve done it.”

According to city documents associated with the plan, the project area is three times the size of Station Park in total acreage and is estimated to generate a property tax valuation four times larger.

RELATED: Ogden city planning large-scale development at old Wonder Bread site

Consultants hired by the city estimate when the project is built out, the assessed valuation for the area would total about $853 million.

Millheim said that figure only includes 267 acres of the area, omitting two parcels of land the city is still uncertain about. If those two parcels are added to the mix, the estimated future valuation would exceed $1 billion.

At the Farmington’s current property tax level, that valuation would give the city $2.23 million in new, yearly property tax revenue.

Millheim said sales tax revenues are harder to estimate, but those could be as high as $3 million to $5 million annually.

Talbot said the venture, which would include trails and parks, is in harmony with the city’s goal of making Farmington a place to “live, work and play.”

“This would help create a good, mixed housing stock, a strong tax base and jobs,” Millheim said. “Those are things that are essential to the health and success of a city.”

RELATED: Ogden City hopes new downtown apartments will help push neighborhood’s economy

Construction timing will be market-driven, Millheim said, influenced by several factors including a Utah Department of Transportation plan to build a new I-15 interchange at Shepard Lane.

The $47 million project was funded last year when the Utah Legislature approved a bill that allows certain transportation projects to be accelerated by bonding for $1 billion

According to UDOT, the project is slated to start in 2023.

Farmington is pushing the state and the Legislature to move the project up and fund a $2 million arterial road that would connect it to the West Davis Corridor.

“That’s a really important piece of all this,” Millheim said.

Millheim said tax increment financing, which for a period of time sends property tax increase revenue back into projects to help finance them, could be part of the equation.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:14 PM

Ogden city planning large-scale development at old Wonder Bread site

http://www.standard.net/Government/2...der-Bread-site

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:16 PM

Ogden City hopes new downtown apartments will help push neighborhood’s economy
http://www.standard.net/Local/2017/1...hood-s-economy

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:36 AM

Actually impressed by this quality of infill for a suburb - The Village at Church and Main in Layton:

@UtahProjects

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 3:00 AM

No idea what is happening (or pics) but this building that is on 25th between Adams and Ogden Ave. is surrounded by fences that would indicate some kind of possible development happening. Anyone know whats up?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:33 PM

North Ogden residents file suit to halt Barker Park amphitheater construction

http://www.standard.net/Local/2018/0...r-construction

Quote:
A group of residents opposed to a multimillion-dollar amphitheater taking shape in Barker Park have filed suit against the City of North Ogden to force it to halt the project and tear out the changes made so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West