HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ I wonder if and when KLM will announce Denver service? Is Swiss Air in Denver yet?
I'm not sure how likely it is for Denver to see KLM service in the near future... its more of a fluke that SLC has KLM service (the other cities served in the US are Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC). I wouldn't expect Denver soon because its 1. Not a SkyTeam hub and 2. Not on the same level as Chicago, Houston, Miami, SFO, and DC in terms of traffic to the Netherlands - simply because I don't think KLM would want to funnel people to a Star Alliance hub and even if DEN had twice as many people as SLC O/D to and from AMS every day you would still only have about 50 people... which is not enough to support a flight with connections going only one way competing against both SLC and Frankfurt for connecting traffic. I'd like to think of it like... you have Frankfurt, we have Amsterdam.

DEN is already getting service to Zurich on Edelweiss so I don't know why swiss would want to launch a duplicate destination to what is likely not even a mature market yet. The Edelweiss flight to Zurich begins on June 4th, 2018 (or is it seasonal???).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ I wonder if and when KLM will announce Denver service? Is Swiss Air in Denver yet?
First, the nonstop flight to/from Denver-Zurich will technically be with Edelweiss Air. From Wiki (not sure always about their reliability but here goes... ), Edelweiss was a separate airline for many years, and then about 2008, their operating rights (whatever that can mean?) was sold (done with all sorts of odd exchanges) to Swiss International Air Lines. At the time of the Swiss acquisition, Swiss was owned by Lufthansa - Lufthansa being Germany's premier airline as well as one of the largest and quite prestigious airlines in the world. So.... maybe can one conclude that Lufthansa - by way of Swiss International Air Lines, and then by way of Edelweiss Air - is just adding a couple of more weekly flights at Denver? Anyhows.... officially it will be Edelweiss Air as the carrier of the twice weekly nonstop DEN-ZRH flights when they start in July, 2018.

Next, Denver-Amsterdam nonstop, as explained well in above post, will probably not happen anytime soon with KLM because of the airline "politics" involved. Alliances, revenue sharing, etc. are all in play. And quite as counter-intuitive it would seem, a DEN-AMS nonstop route on KLM would be quite anti-competitive of sorts, because the competition is between the Denver and Salt Lake City hubs, and the alliances that each airport supports. Basically same reason as to why Air France most likely will not have a Denver-Paris nonstop - so that would be that.

Lastly, as Norwegian Air will start nonstop DEN-LGW (London Gatwick airport) flights and then DEN-CDG (Paris Charles de Gaulle airport) nonstop flights, maybe Norwegian can also start twice weekly or so DEN-AMS nonstop flights? No airline politics there. But... both LGW (especially) and CDG are large hubs for Norwegian, while AMS flights are quite few on Norwegian.... but who knows? Also, there's another airline called ArkeFly (I think that's the right name) based in AMS and maybe this carrier could possibly find profit with a less-than-daily (maybe seasonal?) DEN-AMS nonstop.

One could think that the two marijuana capitals of the world would have nonstop airline traffic demand? But.... total Denver-Amsterdam air traffic just isn't too demanding at this time.

Last edited by denconyny; Aug 15, 2017 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
WestJet to Calgary.
Well done.

It’s a deal: Denver City Council approves $1.8 billion contract for DIA Great Hall renovation

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:40 PM

This is crazy. I know a lot of the work will be behind the scenes but the cost for our new airport (Terminal, South Concourse, and gate renovations) was 1.8B before we proceeded directly to phase two. I honestly don't understand why this project costs so much.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 8:52 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
This is crazy. I know a lot of the work will be behind the scenes but the cost for our new airport (Terminal, South Concourse, and gate renovations) was 1.8B before we proceeded directly to phase two. I honestly don't understand why this project costs so much.
The cost of the actual construction is around $700 million. The balance of the contract is to pay the contractor to operate and maintain the Great Hall for the next 34 years.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
The cost of the actual construction is around $700 million. The balance of the contract is to pay the contractor to operate and maintain the Great Hall for the next 34 years.
Yes, this and with that $700 million they'll be rebuilding the airport terminal. I think most of the concourses mechanicals have already been done but there could be some additional needed work. That includes replacing/upgrading the HVAC and in general all the mechanical and electrical. Not only the costly next-gen security systems but the escalators, elevators, walkways, bathrooms etc... and ofc fresh art pieces too.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yes, this and with that $700 million they'll be rebuilding the airport terminal. I think most of the concourses mechanicals have already been done but there could be some additional needed work. That includes replacing/upgrading the HVAC and in general all the mechanical and electrical. Not only the costly next-gen security systems but the escalators, elevators, walkways, bathrooms etc... and ofc fresh art pieces too.
Hopefully less frightening art pieces

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:

Something mentioned by city council, but not by the airport itself, is that the revenue projections are very very conservative. There is a very good probability that this project pays for itself over the long run with additional main terminal revenue, even though the point for the city is the security and infrastructure update.

That second half (700million) is just what Feroval estimates for their 20% of that pie plus a flat fee each year for managing it for the city.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:06 PM

September is right around the corner

The ongoing Denveright/Denver Moves project will hold a series of public meetings in September in two categories: Pedestrian and Trails and Blueprint Denver (updates). They'll be looking for fresh ideas and feedback on work done to date.

It looks like Denveright is completing the backstretch and headed for the final turn into the homestretch and Finish Line.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

New free ride on the Link

Photo by Tom Skelley courtesy of Lone Tree Voice

Link-ing up with technology in Lone Tree
August 17, 2017 by Tom Skelley - Lone Tree Voice
Quote:
Link on Demand, a free call and ride service utilizing the Uber app, had its soft launch more than two weeks ago with employees of the city, Sky Ridge Medical Center and Charles Schwab before debuting to the public at the news conference.

The pilot is an extension of the Lone Tree Link, a free shuttle service operating weekdays that takes commuters from RTD's Lincoln Station to Charles Schwab, Sky Ridge and other employers in the city. Holwell said 81,000 commuters used the Link in 2016.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:47 PM

The very early returns on the I-225 R Line

Checking ridership numbers at LRT stations from January through May means that the R Line was only open for 3 months. Still, it's a start to move forward from.

The star is Peoria which at ridership of 5,000 comes in just ahead of Southmoor and right behind Evans. 2nd place caught me by surprise until I remembered it's now an end of line station and that was Florida with a bit under 1,800 riders. 3rd place is a virtual tie between Iliff and Aurora Metro Center with a bit over 1,000 riders. The most pathetic start is 13th Ave with 2nd & Abilene and Fitzsimons next. Colfax does a bit better is all.

Not counting DUS and DIA the Aurora Superstar remains Nine Mile with only four stations having better ridership.

One observation I made in looking over this report is the relatively good performance of stations along the SW Corridor. Presumably being open over 15 years makes a noticeable difference to state the obvious.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 6:15 PM

Looks like the Kiewit team won the Central 70 reconstruction.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/kiewit...b-i-70-rebuild

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Looks like the Kiewit team won the Central 70 reconstruction.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/kiewit...b-i-70-rebuild
Good catch

DBj also has the story and they point out that Jacobs Engineering which is in the process of buying CH2m(Hill) will be the lead engineer along with Parsons Brinkerhoff.

I've wondered if the long drawn-out nature of this including the still ongoing lawsuits against the project muted some of the enthusiasm of the competing teams. In any case Kiewit had the hometown advantage.

The winning "team" is actually listed as Kiewit-Meridiam; a few points of note from the DBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...2-billion.html
Quote:
Kiewit is... the North American arm of Paris-based Meridiam, a global investor in infrastructure.

Bhatt said “The biggest emphasis was the financial plan: Will you be able to deliver this project on budget? The other was technical: Can you do it? Do we believe you can do it?”
Anything especially interesting about the project itself?
Quote:
While CDOT said the highway may have to be sunk up to 40 feet, the team doesn’t think it needs to dig that deep. A shallower trench is less expensive and avoids some groundwater issues, Bhatt said.
Let's not forget bunt's contribution
Quote:
The project agreement also must be approved by HPTE’s board of directors...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:52 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Good catch

DBj also has the story and they point out that Jacobs Engineering which is in the process of buying CH2m(Hill) will be the lead engineer along with Parsons Brinkerhoff.

I've wondered if the long drawn-out nature of this including the still ongoing lawsuits against the project muted some of the enthusiasm of the competing teams. In any case Kiewit had the hometown advantage.

The winning "team" is actually listed as Kiewit-Meridiam; a few points of note from the DBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...2-billion.html

Anything especially interesting about the project itself?

Let's not forget bunt's contribution

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:51 PM
ColoRADo

Upgraded 24-hour bus-only lanes on Broadway and Lincoln debut next week in Denver: Look for the red paint

Denver Post

Quote:
Starting Sunday, red paint will mark a notable change for the bus lanes on the busy commuter corridor of Broadway and Lincoln Street south of downtown Denver.

The city will convert the rush-hour lanes to 24/7 transit lanes by painting new blocky pavement markings and installing new signs to make them stand out along nearly 3 miles of southbound Broadway and a shorter stretch of northbound Lincoln. For the next year, Denver’s Department of Public Works will study the effectiveness of the greater visibility as well as the all-day lanes’ impact on the performance of bus routes that travel through the corridor, according to a news release.

Broadway’s red transit lane will go from 17th Avenue (extended two blocks north of the current rush-hour lane) south to Exposition Avenue, near Interstate 25. Lincoln’s bus lane will convert to 24/7 between Sixth and 14th avenues...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
No doubt on this thread that receives unanimous consent.
Best if you avoid the Ditch the Ditch and Streetsblog crowd however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Upgraded 24-hour bus-only lanes on Broadway and Lincoln debut next week in Denver: Look for the red paint

Denver Post
So it will look something like this:

Photo source: Seattle DOT, NACTO via Denver Moves Broadway

Certainly nobody does studies better than Denver so it will be interesting to see the results. I wonder if they should consider coordinating the hours of Free MetroRide with this?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 9:34 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
No doubt on this thread that receives unanimous consent.
Best if you avoid the Ditch the Ditch and Streetsblog crowd however.

So it will look something like this:

Photo source: Seattle DOT, NACTO via Denver Moves Broadway

Certainly nobody does studies better than Denver so it will be interesting to see the results. I wonder if they should consider coordinating the hours of Free MetroRide with this?

I'm not sure what you mean. FMR won't be using this.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 10:26 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. FMR won't be using this.
He might mean that RTD should consider coordinating arrival departure times of the MetroRide and the Mall Shuttle with the various buses routes along the Broadway/Lincoln corridor. Which they already do.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
He might mean that RTD should consider coordinating arrival departure times of the MetroRide and the Mall Shuttle with the various buses routes along the Broadway/Lincoln corridor. Which they already do.
That's good then... except that with FMR don't they only run during peak hours? Seems like an extension of Broadway service along with FMR would make sense since they both end or use the Civic Center Station... is what I was wondering.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 6:25 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Yay for bus lanes! And even bigger yay for red-painted bus lanes, which do make a big difference and are great advertisements in and of themselves.

I expect pictures. This cannot become another one of those VelociRFTA situations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West