HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Could we have a vague but tantalizing lower bound that's something other than 1,000ft?
Every time I see a RW post leading the thread I always get so excited that we might finally know! The morsels are enough for now, though

He did allude to the ESB's height a few pages back... given how prime this site is and how these towers are going to compete for views, this one could legitimately be in the 1,250-1,500' range.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Every time I see a RW post leading the thread I always get so excited that we might finally know! The morsels are enough for now, though

He did allude to the ESB's height a few pages back... given how prime this site is and how these towers are going to compete for views, this one could legitimately be in the 1,250-1,500' range.
From the sounds of it 1,300', give or take a few.

That area is definitely transforming into meca for the high-end market.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
From the sounds of it 1,300', give or take a few.

That area is definitely transforming into meca for the high-end market.
The weirdest part about all the development is that the ESB is just not going to be as much of a centerpiece as it has been since 9/11. Until 9/11, the ESB was great but it still played second fiddle to the twins--since, it has gone completely unchallenged in the skyline (BofA barely comes close, but it just doesn't have the mass on top to compare).

Not only is the ESB going to be shorter than two of the new WTC buildings, there are also now--potentially--two others north of it (Drake and 225 W57th) that could be of equal or taller height. It's just going to be weird how the ESB may be only first among equals rather than completely dominant... and that's not counting the towers soon to rise on the West Side.

(let's cross fingers the plunging stock market doesn't put the kibosh on everything once more, though...)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Don't forget about the towers to the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Sorry for my delayed reply, lads. I can't be specific, but I have inside information, and while this won't be as tall as Lodgy Lion predicted (I.e., 1700 feet), people will be very happy. Hopefully, Macklowe and CIM will formally release the design soon.
I think this will change how people view the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Don't forget about the towers to the west.

I think this will change how people view the skyline.
I feel like all these supertalls could spark more in the surrounding area--once someone can build one 1,000'+ tower for a profit, there's a legitimate reason for many others to follow suit (and it won't have the stigma Torre Verre carried when it was the first one proposed). The ESB has remained somewhat isolated because it really isn't in the most prime area for real estate... the situation is very different for the four towers of Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
The weirdest part about all the development is that the ESB is just not going to be as much of a centerpiece as it has been since 9/11. Until 9/11, the ESB was great but it still played second fiddle to the twins--since, it has gone completely unchallenged in the skyline (BofA barely comes close, but it just doesn't have the mass on top to compare).

Not only is the ESB going to be shorter than two of the new WTC buildings, there are also now--potentially--two others north of it (Drake and 225 W57th) that could be of equal or taller height. It's just going to be weird how the ESB may be only first among equals rather than completely dominant... and that's not counting the towers soon to rise on the West Side.
Sad, but true. The Empire State Building is going to be a giant among equals. New York seems to have a tall future ahead, something which was far from certain after 9/11. I guess I'm not all that surprised it's happening though, the way the world is building towers today. And it's not only domestic money this time trying to get a piece of the pie (Beekman, Drake tower), but international too (One 57).

Quote:
(let's cross fingers the plunging stock market doesn't put the kibosh on everything once more, though...)
You can say that again. We may be in for a second recession.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:11 AM
DENNAB

Sad but true? I don't know so much about sad... I think it's amazing we will soon see towers of equal height to the ESB on NYC's skyline! When you think about it, the WTC twin towers were the only other supertalls besides the ESB... 10 years from now there will be 10 others and more 7-900 foot buildings aswell... New York has always had a great skyline, but sooner or later it is going to be surreal.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
When you think about it, the WTC twin towers were the only other supertalls besides the ESB... 10 years from now there will be 10 others and more 7-900 foot buildings aswell..
People forget that it really wasnt long ago when the only supertalls to speak of were in 2 cities. Buy when I say this tower will change perceptions of the skyline, it has as much to do with location as height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 9:19 PM
BANNED

CIM filed a New Building Application with the DOB on 4 Aug. 2011, but no details are provided.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=05

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like excavation...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 11:29 PM

robwad.. do you know a more specific height range for the tower other than 1000+ft ?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Brian,

I do have more specific height info, but I cannot disclose it. I can simply say that people will be very happy.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Brian,

I do have more specific height info, but I cannot disclose it. I can simply say that people will be very happy.
Is the building better than what we expected?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Bring it on!

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...covery-race--2

NYC leads way in recovery race
Manhattan market stabilizes, while rest of country plays catch-up
August 11, 2011 10:30AM

By Peter Kiefer

Also, here's a nice potential source of funding (though CIM most likely already has funding).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/ny...er=rss&emc=rss

As Investors, Chinese Turn to New York

Jennifer S. Altman for The New York Times
Published: August 10, 2011

Chinese banks have poured more than $1 billion into real estate loans in New York City in the past year. Investors from China are snapping up luxury apartments and planning to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on commercial and residential projects...

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Aug 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Here's a rough idea of the skyline impact. Drake tower in red and 225w57 in green.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:54 PM
New Yorker for life

I do hope there's a nice tapered spire, just for the skyline's sake.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:40 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Me too. I couldn't be bothered to create an imaginary massing, so I simply extruded the profile of the lot lines.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:04 PM

Yeah, check that out! Great!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Something relatively tall will rise at 220 CPS too!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:02 PM
BANNED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive