HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:55 AM

Nice thread revival. Here's a nice pic I found recently :

Montreal seen from Mount Mansfield (Vermont's highest mountain) - 160 driving km away.

Photo is by Martin.Magnan on Panoramio.

And here's one from Mont Saint-Grégoire (50km) taken with a standard zoom.

Mont Saint-Grégoire

Last edited by leftimage; Nov 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 11:20 AM

Furthest I have seen Toronto is 40km away at Bloomington as it passes 48 on the way to the 404. there is a large hill and you can see the entire GTA..

Scarborough Town Centre is closer, and is visible through much more of the area's countryside as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:08 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
I guess this raises the question of whether or not camera zoom should be taken into account when stating whether or not the skyline can be seen by the human eye. From the human eye, Toronto's skyline looks tiny from St. Catharines.

Not sure of the distance across the lake, but St. Catharines is a little over 100km from downtown Toronto when driving.
It depends on the moisture lensing and such. I remember one time going down the escarpment somewhere in Niagara and Toronto looked massive.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:13 PM
Hammer'd

From Hamilton I can regularly make out Toronto on the skyline, even on somewhat cloudy days. Today being a beautiful, crisp day with a blue sky, I could probably make out the TD logo (I have seriously been able to do this before, though it might be in part because I recognize the building and know it's there)

Unfortunately given to geography, Hamilton's downtown skyline isn't visible from very far away. From Toronto it's obscured by the skyway bridge, steel mills and probably a bit of Burlington. I've tried looking for it from the CN tower but basically all you see is up to Oakville/Burlington. The only place you can really see it from is coming down the 403 hill from Ancaster (only about 7-10km from downtown) or highway 6. I believe you can also sort of see it from the QEW Niagara/403/QEW Toronto split but it once again gets obscured a bit by the skyway bridge and the steel mills.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh dear...

For St. John's, you have to be right downtown to see it. The entrance to the harbour, the Narrows, is, as the name implies, too narrow to see much of the city from outside the harbour. And the hill that downtown is built up against is taller than our tallest buildings so you can't see them as soon as you're over the top of it, which is just a couple of blocks away.

The Confederation Building is visible from farther away, as far away as Red Cliff (which is about 10 km), but that's not part of our downtown skyline.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:32 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh dear...

For St. John's, you have to be right downtown to see it. The entrance to the harbour, the Narrows, is, as the name implies, too narrow to see much of the city from outside the harbour. And the hill that downtown is built up against is taller than our tallest buildings so you can't see them as soon as you're over the top of it, which is just a couple of blocks away.

The Confederation Building is visible from farther away, as far away as Red Cliff (which is about 10 km), but that's not part of our downtown skyline.
You just get to hang out with Hamilton. Sure you can't see either skyline from far away, but when you can see them they look as if they fill the entire world and lack suburbia.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 2:33 PM

Furthest I've seen the Toronto skyline is from Buffalo probably.

I've seen it from the Niagara Escarpment north of Milton but that isn't as far.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 2:39 PM
ARTchitecture

For Calgary, I know you can see it pretty well from Strathmore out in the prairies to the east, about 50 km from city hall. That is all I know from personal experience though. I am sure there are some mountains 60 - 100 km away to the west where you can see the skyline too.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 2:41 PM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 2:48 PM

I've seen Calgarys skyline (naked eye, not camera) from the entrance to the Rockies/Kananaskis, which is probably about 80/90kms away. Had to hike up 6 hours to the top of a mountain to do it though. I'm sure you could see it deeper in too, if the other mountains didn't get in the way.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 3:16 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I've seen Calgarys skyline (naked eye, not camera) from the entrance to the Rockies/Kananaskis, which is probably about 80/90kms away. Had to hike up 6 hours to the top of a mountain to do it though. I'm sure you could see it deeper in too, if the other mountains didn't get in the way.
Yamnuska or Moose mountain would be my guess here, probably Yamnuska. Either of those are the typical "holy crap I can see Calgary!" locations.

You can see it from a lot deeper into the mountains. Calgary actually has one sneaky advantage here - go to the top floor of the Bow, and look for the furthest peak you can see. THAT is how far you can see Calgary from.

There's actually a plugin someone wrote for Google Earth years ago that helps in determining this. It basically works out what can be seen from any point on the planet, taking into account curvature of the Earth and landforms, etc.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 3:47 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Very cool story!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
Nice thread revival. Here's a nice pic I found recently :

Montreal seen from Mount Mansfield (Vermont's highest mountain) - 160 driving km away.

Photo is by Martin.Magnan on Panoramio.

Great shot with Lake Champlain in foreground! That's about 122km direct distance to Montreal.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 5:58 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
For Calgary, I know you can see it pretty well from Strathmore out in the prairies to the east, about 50 km from city hall. That is all I know from personal experience though. I am sure there are some mountains 60 - 100 km away to the west where you can see the skyline too.
see page 2 for a photo of Calgary from 84 km away.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 5:58 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Furthest away I've taken a picture of Calgary from - 84km

so you dont have to go back a few pages.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:00 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh sweet, thanks!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:34 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Damn, Chemist - where is that from? 84km puts you pretty deep, unless you're a ways south.

Never mind - Mt. Bogart. Pretty impressive.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:41 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Here is the Toronto Skyline from the American side of Lake Ontario, approximately 50km. Clearly it could be seen from alot farther away than that.

by: MLK6615 on flickr.com
Anyone who thinks the Earth isn't round needs to see this pic. I've never seen such obvious display of the Earth's curvature. Very cool.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:49 PM
ARTchitecture

That could also have to do with the gravitational pull of the moon. It exerts a greater effect on water than it does on land. Very cool to see the curvature nonetheless.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
You just get to hang out with Hamilton. Sure you can't see either skyline from far away, but when you can see them they look as if they fill the entire world and lack suburbia.
That's true! From the few places you can see downtown St. John's or Hamilton it looks as though there is no suburbia.. But sadly St. John's is probably over 90% suburban. At least you don't see if from downtown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada