HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post
Nothing can ever compete with the design of the ESB nor Chrysler Building, ever.
I strongly disagree with this statement. If nobody could compete with the chrystler building when it was built, then was the ESB worthy of being built and considered in the same league as the Chrystler? I would say that although architectural styles are different today (obviously), we are getting towers that are just as special as the ESB and Chrystler. My favorite example of a skyscraper that will probably be seen as a masterpiece in 100 years is tower Verre, but there are many, many more proposals under construction buildings that are quite special.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Latest permit filing....

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=02

Quote:
12/18/2014

MECHANICAL WORK ASSOCIATED WITH NEW BUILDING AS SHOWN ON DRAWINGS FILED HEREWITH

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. If nobody could compete with the chrystler building when it was built, then was the ESB worthy of being built and considered in the same league as the Chrystler? I would say that although architectural styles are different today (obviously), we are getting towers that are just as special as the ESB and Chrystler. My favorite example of a skyscraper that will probably be seen as a masterpiece in 100 years is tower Verre, but there are many, many more proposals under construction buildings that are quite special.
That seems pretty hard to defend. Design quality is just not as highly valued as it used to be, as every social value increasingly gets reduced to the common denominator of money. Especially when you consider how the technological possibilities for building design have radically expanded - technological possibilities which are in no way reflected in the imaginativeness of most designs.

Anyways, to be more specific - I would give you Torre Verre as a potentially great building. What else rises to that caliber? I can't really think of anything in the US at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:16 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Let's get back to 30 Hudson.

http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/

Brandon Nagle

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Latest filing...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
12/22/2014

FILING HEREWITH FOR INSTALLATION OF CO-GEN AS PER PLANS. IN CONJUNCTION WITH NB 121186251.

But more importantly, we finally have the full height reflected in the permit...

Quote:
Building Height (ft.): Existing: 1287
Proposed: 1287
Building Stories: Existing: 68
Proposed: 68
And it's a bump of 3 ft....

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 6:17 PM

Nearly 1300 feet...wonderful.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:20 PM
DENNAB

It was alrealy nearly 1300 feet at 1284 feet lol, but 68 stories? What ever happened to 80 or 92?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It was alrealy nearly 1300 feet at 1284 feet lol, but 68 stories? What ever happened to 80 or 92?
Why does it matter how many stories this building has? 68 stories sounds more appealing as it suggests very high ceilings.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:27 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Why does it matter how many stories this building has? 68 stories sounds more appealing as it suggests very high ceilings.
I was more referring to why it dropped so dramatically, I wasn't necessarily saying I care about that. But while floor count doesn't matter as much as height it matters a little bit. It's cooler to say you're 80 stories up than 60.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I was more referring to why it dropped so dramatically, I wasn't necessarily saying I care about that. But while floor count doesn't matter as much as height it matters a little bit. It's cooler to say you're 80 stories up than 60.
It's still "80 stories". As you should know by now from the various supertall office buildings that have been under construction and proposed, the "actual" floor count is different from what is advertised, due to ceiling heights being more than they were in the past. The same thing now applies to the various supertall residentials. For the record, 3 WTC doesn't have 80 actual floors either.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 8:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yea thats a misconception that height has to have a high number of floors. Now, if this was built in 1930, with the floor heights of the times, this would be well over a 100 floors. If the ESB was built now, with modern floor heights, it would probably be 70 or 80 floors as opposed to a 103 floors.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:37 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's still "80 stories". As you should know by now from the various supertall office buildings that have been under construction and proposed, the "actual" floor count is different from what is advertised, due to ceiling heights being more than they were in the past. The same thing now applies to the various supertall residentials. For the record, 3 WTC doesn't have 80 actual floors either.

Of course I know that, what I was asking is if it really still did have "80 stories" or they were just going to call it 68. Aka does the DOB filings take made up floors into consideration is suppose is my question.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 10:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Of course I know that, what I was asking is if it really still did have "80 stories" or they were just going to call it 68. Aka does the DOB filings take made up floors into consideration is suppose is my question.
DOB filings are practical, as they have to be. There is no "gimmickery" there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Yea thats a misconception that height has to have a high number of floors. Now, if this was built in 1930, with the floor heights of the times, this would be well over a 100 floors.
At this height, 30 Hudson would be over a hundred floors.

Quote:
If the ESB was built now, with modern floor heights, it would probably be 70 or 80 floors as opposed to a 103 floors.
Or over 1,500 ft.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 6:18 AM

Few photos from 12.20.14.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 10:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Coach is so bulky. Damn! Almost looks like there are 2 towers within it.

Nice shots. Picking up steam. Incredible the amount of projects in this area that will rise or are rising. 2015 will see many of these begin: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/map...&z=15&status=9

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:07 AM
New Yorker for life

December 29, 2014

Two models on display across the street...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:51 PM
New Yorker for life

A few more to add to that batch...

What a difference a few years will make...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 4:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/01/...to-take-shape/

January 3, 2015

Quote:
Samuelian was describing the construction going on at 10 Hudson Yards — the first building to be put up at the site.

“It’s a 52-story office building, we’re at about the 27th floor right now,” Samuelian said.

By this time next year, 10 buildings should be completed, as well as the deck over the rail yard, Haskell reported.

“And you’ll start to see the retail and 30 Hudson Yards, which will ultimately be the fourth tallest office building in New York starting to go vertical,” Samuelian said.

The 10 buildings being "completed" is obviously a misunderstanding, but I don't see 30 Hudson being more than 5th tallest at best (behind Freedom, Nordstrom, 111 W. 57th, and 432 Park). Unless we're just talking about at the moment of completion, which is still questionable.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Ten Buildings? Is that a typo?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 7:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Ten Buildings? Is that a typo?
Could be referring to the complex and the proximity. It did say by the end of next year (article was written the 3rd of January), so I'm assuming end of 2016, which seems about right. I'd post a .gif file showing the construction based on the year but I can't find it.

Edit: Yea idk where I posted it in the past, but I found this which is screenshots from the .gif. I think its refers more to actually having a presence in the skyline; not officially complete.

Credit: Joe Schumacher , https://www.flickr.com/photos/jschumacher/14233987325/

Either way, probably just to give the article more zest. Often they stretch the truth.

Last edited by chris08876; Jan 4, 2015 at 7:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive