HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 7:28 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Forget Calgary, there is more happening in Hamilton, (maybe London???)
Probably anywhere with GO Train commuting distance of the residential price bubble forcing people out of Toronto.

My dad was head of CMHC for the Barrie area back in the late '80s when it was growing at an insane rate. Driven by people moving out of Toronto and commuting back. It's only gotten worse.

I recently wandered over the Toronto area in Google Earth VR, looking up places I used to hang out. It took me a while to find Canada's Wonderland. It used to be not just out in the country, but WAY out in the country. Now it's surrounded by the city extending beyond Toronto's borders.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:36 PM
BANNED

The city must not start to charge "growth fees" on projects built in the downtown, and certain pockets around downtown.

I look at the whiteout gatherings, and hopefully these translate into more people get excited about living downtown. Key developments to act as catalysts are Railside and Marketlands. These two must be executed correctly.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Wow, despite the recent oil downturn of the past couple of years, there are 15 condo construction sites in downtown Calgary! Why can't even half of this much activity happen in downtown Winnipeg?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...urbs-1.4655325
Well, all the reasons for why Calgary is building? Well, we don't have them lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Or have we just never had a provincial government willing to explore/exploit these natural resources here? There have been numerous scientific reports that there is a ton of oil and gold in Manitoba as well, especially in the SW MB, but no one has really ever done anything about it. Do you think that all the oil flowing out of North Dakota stops at the border? Or that this giant rectangle call Saskatchewan is the only place where potash is found?
Agreed. Hopefully the PCs push this.
Quote:
Forget Calgary, there is more happening in Hamilton, (maybe London???) and Halifax too. Hopefully we will see more projects in the very near future.
Lol we can always count on you for Hamilton or Halifax.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:51 AM

Oil doesn’t end just outside the Manitoba boundary. Competent government however does.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:07 PM
arf

^I beg to differ on that. Incompetent in different ways.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
My understanding is that the Alberta government has collected surprisingly little money from the oil boom. But in return it's put little money into the infrastructure to support it.

The oil companies complained that there's very infrastructure to support the large numbers of people they've moved into northern oil boom towns. Alberta responded with "Correct. It's up to you to build it."

The Manitoba government on the other hand loves big infrastructure projects. The floodways and their upgrades, hydro lines, northern highways, etc.
The Government of Alberta gets about $3B per year from oil and gas royalties. But the real money is in the taxes collected from the industry itself and all the employment.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:50 PM

Manitoba has negligible reserves of both oil/gas and potash. The Alberta Oil Sands are estimated to contain about 150 billion barrels of recoverable oil. Manitoba's reserves are probably under 100 million barrels. Saskatchewan has 60% of the world's potash reserves 10 billion tonnes of the stuff. Manitoba has maybe 2% of that.

If there was enough of anything valuable in the ground to make it profitable, you wouldn't need the government to tell private industry to go get it.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:23 PM

When it comes to oil and gas, if Alberta has a Super Big Gulp, Saskatchewan has a tea cup and we have a thimble.

Potash is a decent consolation prize for Saskatchewan, but it ends pretty much at the border.

Bottom line, it's about what's under ground, not who's in office.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:09 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's almost as though the Alberta's boundaries were decided with the intent on capturing the bulk of the oil reserves, ditto for Sask. and potash.

MB got... water?

Quote:
Oil doesn’t end just outside the Manitoba boundary. Competent government however does.
yeah. OK.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
.......The Alberta Oil Sands are estimated to contain about 150 billion barrels of recoverable oil....
More accurately crude bitumen which must be diluted in order to flow and which extraction comes at a considerable cost premium compared with conventional oil as well as far more significant environmental degradation.

In the context of the discussion and by extension the current pipeline debate, I think it is dishonest to use the term "oil" for the commodity in question, much like it would be dishonest for a food product to label high fructose corn syrup as sugar.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:49 PM

Is it possible that there is just less known or estimated oil reserves in Manitoba and Sask. because there has been less exploration and investment? I find it hard to believe that there is such a distinct line in the (oil)sand that separates Alberta's reserves versus Sask and Manitoba.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:06 PM
BANNED

AB, SK, ND...but MB bypassed LOL.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Is it possible that there is just less known or estimated oil reserves in Manitoba and Sask. because there has been less exploration and investment? I find it hard to believe that there is such a distinct line in the (oil)sand that separates Alberta's reserves versus Sask and Manitoba.
Quote:
AB, SK, ND...but MB bypassed LOL.
Yeah lol... that's just a map of what's been discovered. Seems to be a consensus among geologists that there's lots of gold and oil in Manitoba as well – no one has bothered to look though.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Probably sheer luck, as the sask/alta border was set at 110 degrees West longitude (not a natural landmark). It makes sense though, as the geography once you cross into alberta heading west on hwy 1 changes rather drastically. More rolling hills, dryer climate that you only really see past swift current. Not sure if those influence older geology where oil is found but there seems to be a difference

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah lol... that's just a map of what's been discovered. Seems to be a consensus among geologists that there's lots of gold and oil in Manitoba as well – no one has bothered to look though.
I suppose anything is possible and you don't know what you don't know, but I don't recall ever seeing any kind of resource map that hinted at substantial o&g potential in Manitoba.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I suppose anything is possible and you don't know what you don't know, but I don't recall ever seeing any kind of resource map that hinted at substantial o&g potential in Manitoba.
I think we should drill down and then sideways until we reach the oil and gas reserves below Alberta and pump directly from there. Then we can make Manitoba a have province.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:43 PM

To clarify, conventional oil production in SK and AB is about the same, with SK set to take the lead for the foreseeable future. AB obviously has a pile of NG and oil sands though.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:46 PM

SkyCity thread. From potash to oilsands in Manitoba. Both more realistic than the tower.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:56 PM

Sky City

Maybe Fortress should dig down under their site might have oil and natural gas , problem solved Tower gets constructed !! 😜

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Maybe Fortress should dig down under their site might have oil and natural gas , problem solved Tower gets constructed !! 😜
They tried that in Regina

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan