HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:06 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
Your friends in Atlanta are probably the exception in regards to that sentiment toward Savannah. Most Atlantans (including me) think very favorably of Savannah. I recognize the differences but appreciate both - but that's true of me on almost all things.

The most divisive things I ever hear between the two places is from people on this forum who don't live in either place. In all my years of living in Georgia and Atlanta, I don't recall ever hearing anyone say Savannah sucks. It's certainly not the overriding sentiment by Atlantans or Georgians in general.
I'm glad to hear that! In a way, it's good for the state to have both. A large, modern city in one corner, and a smaller, dense, historic city in the other. It's a nice contrast and they compliment each other. It makes Georgia much more diverse than some of its peers.

Either way, I've been dying to get back to Savannah, and I want to give Atlanta another shot.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
Ms AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Hi, amigo.

Are you a history student, or did you choose the name Herodotus for some other reason?
My "student" days are far behind me, but as a lover of history, I felt the name was appropriate.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 1:49 AM
Future God

Ahhh Savannah, AKA (What your city might look like today if it weren't run by stupid shitheads in the sixties). What a beautiful old mistress she is.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrherodotus View Post
My "student" days are far behind me, but as a lover of history, I felt the name was appropriate.
I am a history fan too, as you might have guessed. (Presumably, the typical person has no idea who Herodotus was.)

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Savannah is the perfect combination of built environment and natural environment, which is what really takes it over the top. Places like New Orleans and Charleston have the perfect built environment, but when those perfect urban areas were being built, no thought was given to leaving much room for trees and greenery.

Savannah, meanwhile, left room for green space and trees, which are essential for shade and cooling in such a hot climate. I've heard that Savannah's grid pattern, which left all that room for greenery, is perhaps the most intelligent grid pattern in the country, if not the world. The smarts that went into planning Savannah are what make it so special.
I've heard that before too. What a perfectly gorgeous place. Atlanta is the Moscow of Georgia, but Savannah is the Saint Petersburg of Georgia.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:15 AM

Charm all over the place! Great tour, thanks!

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint13 View Post
I remember telling friends in Metro Atlanta that I was possibly going to spend a lot of time in Georgia. As soon as I said Savannah, their response was "Why? It sucks. There's so much more in Atlanta." I've never been a fan of Atlanta, no offense to people from there. Savannah has the urbanity, beauty, and liveliness that make it feel like an incredibly beautiful and real city. Thank you!
they were just pulling your leg, no sane person would ever say Savannah sucks

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:07 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
they were just pulling your leg, no sane person would ever say Savannah sucks
They just need to get out of suburbia!

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint13 View Post
They just need to get out of suburbia!

I love Savannah - it's one of my favorite cities overall - but you can fit all of it's urbanity in one little corner of downtown Atlanta. I dare say if you think it's more urban than Atlanta then you didn't experience the urban areas of Atlanta. That happens a lot and it leads to the common misconception of Atlanta being un-urban.

I hope you see the true Atlanta on your next visit. Make your suburban friends bring you to the city and tell them you want to see some urbanity and/or history. There is a great deal of both, so I think you'll be surprised.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:57 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I love Savannah - it's one of my favorite cities overall - but you can fit all of it's urbanity in one little corner of downtown Atlanta. I dare say if you think it's more urban than Atlanta then you didn't experience the urban areas of Atlanta. That happens a lot and it leads to the common misconception of Atlanta being un-urban.

I hope you see the true Atlanta on your next visit. Make your suburban friends bring you to the city and tell them you want to see some urbanity and/or history. There is a great deal of both, so I think you'll be surprised.
I wasn't referring to Atlanta as being less urban, just that my friends are paranoid suburbanites. Anything gritty or not ultra-gentrified scares them (as does basically my entire family, while I LOVE it). I've been to downtown, midtown, buckhead, etc. I should have said friend from Metro Atlanta! I have family in both Metro Atlanta and Savannah, and visit both. I'm sorry to deviate from the subject. Either way, the history and architecture of Savannah makes me believe it's one of the most beautiful cities in the South. I would gladly live there.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:18 PM

^^^ but y'all are comparing apples to oranges aren't ya? shouldn't need a yankee to tell ya that

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:54 PM
She needs her space

Georgia certainly has some gems, and Savannah is perhaps THE gem. Athens and Milledgeville have a lot to offer in terms of architecture (and in Athens case - place too), Atlanta is the big city with some cool old/urban areas, and Savannah is just the coolest intact Antebellum town in the South, imho. I think it blows Charlestown out of the water, and the food is almost as good!

The grid is based on a Roman architectural system (30-60-90, etc) and the alleys are called Mews, which is a term from England. The grid pattern for Savannah is also based off of a plan for London (after the fire in 1622?).

Another interesting tidbit is that while the Romans used poured concrete in their civilization (think Pantheon), when Rome died so did concrete. UNTIL people rediscovered how to make and use it off the SE GA coast in the 18th century. Thank you SE GA for concrete - where would the world be without you?

The coastline from St. Augustine, FL through the GA Coast (Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island, St. Simons/Sea Island) through Savannah through Beaufort and finally through Charleston and its isles is probably the coolest stretch and most historical stretch of coastline in the country.

And a PS to earlier discussion: the "state" of GA hates Atlanta, but Atlanta loves Savannah (which is mutual) as we provide the need and Savannah provides the port...and all port traffic flows to and through Atlanta fueling industrial parks and distribution centers. The two cities, along with Athens by default and Columbus because it's cool/industrial/several F500 firms are all symbiotic.

For some reason the state legislature is overwhelmingly biased with members from rural/exurban areas that are typically from poor, majority black or majority white-Baptist areas, and they all hate Atlanta (and probably by nature of the relationship they might start hating Savannah when they find out how the two benefit each other and leave out the rest of the state).

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:44 PM

Atlanta may be more urban, but Savannah takes the cake in georgia as far as walkability.. Savannah's historic district is one of the most walkable and beautiful city centers i have ever been to. its magical really.. now I am from Atlanta, and i love it.. but it kills me how sprawled out it is and how much the downtown area is devoid of character and life. the neighborhoods arent connected in atlanta and the walkable parts only stretch for a block or two in any direction.. its getting better though - the streetcar project will be a huge factor in revitalizing the downtown area and specifically ( and most importantly ) the Edgewood and Auburn AVE corridors, which are pretty much lined with vacant storefronts and have been for years. that will also provide part of the connection atlanta needs to the vibrant neighborhoods to its east ( inman park, old 4th ward, little 5, cabbagetown etc..).. cant wait! oh and the beltline wont hurt

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:30 AM

Savannah is just an absolute gem.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos