HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:14 PM

That was the place, 96 St. Mary's, that was supposed to be a one storey law firm or something. So the neighbourhood complained because people complain. Now they're getting a 6 unit apartment? Right, much better for that single storey home feel.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
4 story 20 unit build is proposed for 153 Aubert st. Between Tache and St. Joseph. Immediately east of the verve condos. Currently the site of lawn care business operation. Going to riel committee on October 27 with recommended approval.
Nice. One grungy lot at a time repurposed. Provencher will thrive someday, just not in my lifetime!
Man it would be great see some action on the corner of Aubert and St. Joseph...that site has been fenced off forever. They had some flags up last year advertising condos for sale but I believe those (the flags) are gone now.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
Man it would be great see some action on the corner of Aubert and St. Joseph...that site has been fenced off forever. They had some flags up last year advertising condos for sale but I believe those (the flags) are gone now.
I noticed that. I wonder if the future of the Parmalat site is perhaps giving investors pause. I expect the remediation of that site, assuming the building comes down could get expensive.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:27 PM

There's also a huge empty lot in the middle of Aubert across the street, beside the new condos. What's happening with Parmalat?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:40 PM

^Moving to St. B industrial park off Dugald. Fancy new plant is built there.

Anyone know why the lot on Provencher next to the newer 8 storey building on the north side is still vacant? No takers for what is seemingly a prime site or the current owner is not motivated?

Looking at google, there is a lot of vacant land in the area between Tache and Langevin, north of Provencher. If not vacant land, older crappy buildings at least. Condos will continue to encroach further east over time. As we've discussed before, too bad there wasn't a more formal plan for the area including higher density (taller) developments.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:29 PM

Ah, right. Is there any sort of plan from the city to rezone it? And does the parking lot across La Verendrye belong to Parmalat? Would be awesome to see both plots redeveloped. Can't wait 'til someone wants to build condos there and residents get up in arms about it not being appropriate for the neighbourhood... even though it's a fucking milk plant right now.

And there's been rumours of development at the lot on the north side of Provencher for years, not sure who owns it. Even more bizarre is that it's all grass... might as well take the wall down and leave it open for now.

The Garage Cafe lot also drives me nuts, it was bought by the owners of Garage but never have done anything with it – what was there before? It's such a rare prime space with the street dead ending there, could make for and incredible development at what should be a/the signature intersection in the area.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^Moving to St. B industrial park off Dugald. Fancy new plant is built there.

Anyone know why the lot on Provencher next to the newer 8 storey building on the north side is still vacant? No takers for what is seemingly a prime site or the current owner is not motivated?

Looking at google, there is a lot of vacant land in the area between Tache and Langevin, north of Provencher. If not vacant land, older crappy buildings at least. Condos will continue to encroach further east over time. As we've discussed before, too bad there wasn't a more formal plan for the area including higher density (taller) developments.
I am on the minority but I think the are some spots of Old St B is very attractive. When I see old city hall, post office, St B basilica, The old nuns residence now a care home, those lovely edifices and some of them, domed buildings give a lot of character. Like a very small city perhaps in Quebec.
There is huge potential..BUT>>>>>>>
The issue I have as do many is the odor emanating from the Loveday Fungi Plant. Most days I could gag for a couple of miles in either direction There are times I can smell it downtown and even in O Village or Corydon with the right wind..I know on the way to and from Transcona it is so offensive that sometimes you hold your breath for awhile. That is a major hindrance to development especially condos or mid to upper scale rentals.Nobody I know begs for that malodorous stench and pay a lot to live there by choice?.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Oct 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:10 PM

Yeah, it's disgusting. Would love to see it move, hopefully stay within the city, but that's one I'd be willing to give up as it could seriously open up a lot of potential development there at the end of Provencher, especially with the grain plant gone now.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am on the minority but I think the are some spots of Old St B is very attractive. When I see old city hall, post office, St B basilica, The old nuns residence now a care home, those lovely edifices and some of them, domed buildings give a lot of character. Like a very small city perhaps in Quebec.
There is huge potential..BUT>>>>>>>
The issue I have as do many is the odor emanating from the Loveday Fungi Plant. Most days I could gag for a couple of miles in either direction There are times I can smell it downtown and even in O Village or Corydon with the right wind..I know on the way to and from Transcona it is so offensive that sometimes you hold your breath for awhile. That is a major hindrance to development especially condos or mid to upper scale rentals.Nobody I know begs for that malodorous stench and pay a lot to live there by choice?.
Don't get me wrong, there are lots of nice spots in St. B. I just meant looking at the aerial image, and that couple blocks seemed very odd and haphazard. With vacant lots strewn about.

I actually liked going into the Pointe Hebert neighbourhood prior to its demolition because it was so old and funky. It was more like a shanty town, as some of those houses were super tiny shacks.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:06 PM

^There's still some shacks left. The city really needs to upgrade the street and sidewalk lighting in Point Hebert, especially on Tache and as the area develops. Driving through there the other day it was pitch black, would not want to be walking around there much at night.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
^^^ I am pretty sure the house at 96 St. Mary's is getting torn down and being replaced with a 6 unit condo complex. I am not sure why they have it all tarped off... perhaps something to do with asbestos in the stucco or something?
correct its to contain the asbestos in the stucco. its already been removed from the back and the tarps are down.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That was the place, 96 St. Mary's, that was supposed to be a one storey law firm or something. So the neighbourhood complained because people complain. Now they're getting a 6 unit apartment? Right, much better for that single storey home feel.
i live 1 block away, i was happy with the law firm building, but even happier with the 6 unit condo!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:01 AM

some of the development on Provencher was stalled due to height restrictions, however those have recently been lifted so hopefully this makes it more cost affordable for developers.

this industrial spot is on the market $1.4 million, this is not the Parmalat site
http://www.collierscanada.com/21188#.WfFBmtcrLIU

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:36 PM

Here is the 153 Aubert project. Can't tell much about the exterior from the filed plans.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, it's disgusting. Would love to see it move, hopefully stay within the city, but that's one I'd be willing to give up as it could seriously open up a lot of potential development there at the end of Provencher, especially with the grain plant gone now.
I find The smell is noticable in St.B when the wind is coming in from the east, which is not often thankfully. I suspect it would be worse in Transcona.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:10 PM

It's horrendous in East Kildonan just about always.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 7:18 PM

I see that big white restoration company building just north of the st. B. Hotel is for sale. Between that and the Parmalat plant and other lots you would be able to fit a new subdivision in there!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:07 PM

demo of the old house occurred in the Fall and the hole is starting to be dug now for this place in Norwood Flats fronting St.Mary's rd. 6 units of luxury condo's, much needed for the area (in my opinion)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
demo of the old house occurred in the Fall and the hole is starting to be dug now for this place in Norwood Flats fronting St.Mary's rd. 6 units of luxury condo's, much needed for the area (in my opinion)

Do you know the address?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Do you know the address?
I think it's this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/100...!4d-97.1239439

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan