HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:06 PM
What could go wrong?

96 St Mary's Rd I believe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:21 PM

Interesting, i thought there was a big hoopla to have that place saved? wasnt there a plan for a commercial building there in the summer?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:13 PM

that was summer 2016, but "community" rejected a single story building (accounting firm) saying they wanted to keep it residential, not business. Well the owners came back with this and kept it residential. I'm a member of that community and I didn't oppose either one!

this is the appeal from neighbours that was rejected, but outlines the floor plan (page 16+17) and various elvations (page 18-22)
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...ctionId=463316

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:52 PM

Wow that looks great, dwarfs the places beside it, so hopefully that inspires more down the road. It's right by my house. St. Mary's has quietly had a lot of great, nice developments happen organically in the last couple years. Good to see.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:41 PM

Apparently Bothwell is going to be opening a cheese shop on Provencher.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...474433953.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 6:14 PM

so after the milk factory gets moved out of central St. B, a cheese store will fill the creamy void! interesting turn of events!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:50 PM

I'm surprised they aren't opening at The Forks, that seems like a natural location for something like that. But it'll be a shot in the arm for Provencher.

Remember the Bothwell store at the old airport terminal? I always thought that was a little peculiar... as much as I like their product, I don't really need a half kilo of havarti for my flight to LA.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm surprised they aren't opening at The Forks, that seems like a natural location for something like that. But it'll be a shot in the arm for Provencher.

Remember the Bothwell store at the old airport terminal? I always thought that was a little peculiar... as much as I like their product, I don't really need a half kilo of havarti for my flight to LA.
I think people are starting to anticipate the impact of the new walkway now being built on Tache. New building announced for the parking lot beside le Garage. The developer said he is already planning a second building in the neighbourhood. Constance Popp seems to doing well with her chocolates. Cafe Promenade has a nice flow of customers it seems to me..I go there often. It's coming. Provencher is coming..

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 2:26 AM

I just can't help but imagine a new building at the southeast corner of Provencher and Tache with an second floor patio to take advantage of arguably the best view in town.
The sad excuse of a strip mall and surface lot currently there harkens back to a very desperate and depressing era for our city!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I just can't help but imagine a new building at the southeast corner of Provencher and Tache with an second floor patio to take advantage of arguably the best view in town.
The sad excuse of a strip mall and surface lot currently there harkens back to a very desperate and depressing era for our city!
I have often thought that too, but would add a few stories. I don't know who owns that mess but they are sitting on a potential goldmine.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I have often thought that too, but would add a few stories. I don't know who owns that mess but they are sitting on a potential goldmine.
Yeah, something like the twin condos on Tache but with streetfront retail would be awesome there.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:02 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
demo of the old house occurred in the Fall and the hole is starting to be dug now for this place in Norwood Flats fronting St.Mary's rd. 6 units of luxury condo's, much needed for the area (in my opinion)

Ha ha. I designed the proposal that everyone freaked out about. At the public open house two people came storming in yelling. Why are you destroying my neighbourhood!!!!

All those losers deserve that crappy thing. I hope they are happy. They were so opposed to a tiny office because of traffic and parking. That ugly multiplex will be way worse.

This is what they fought.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:23 AM

^It is pretty funny – fight a single, low-impact business in a building that matches its neighbours in scale, only to get a massive (albeit residential) building instead.

Even though it may not turn out that nice, I'm thrilled to MFR like this going in right there. Keep densifying that area. I live 2 minutes away off St. Mary's – it's so nice to have good value housing so close to downtown, with lots of amenities in the area. I think Old St. Boniface/Norwood is going to continue to get very popular in the next few years.

Last edited by buzzg; Feb 20, 2018 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:51 AM
surely you agree with me

^ yeah. I agree. The residents were just against commercial. They saw it as a slippery slope. Any intensification is good though.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:58 AM
surely you agree with me

That new building is right to the property line. The commercial was in line with its neighbour. Ha ha.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:23 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I think people are starting to anticipate the impact of the new walkway now being built on Tache. New building announced for the parking lot beside le Garage. The developer said he is already planning a second building in the neighbourhood. Constance Popp seems to doing well with her chocolates. Cafe Promenade has a nice flow of customers it seems to me..I go there often. It's coming. Provencher is coming..
Was funny to see the owner of Constance Popp at community committee trying to get them to force the new development to be angled or set back so the little sign on the side of her building wouldn’t be lost. She suggested that Provencher was becoming a tunnel of buildings.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That new building is right to the property line. The commercial was in line with its neighbour. Ha ha.
FYI the neighbour has sold and moved too, out of the area!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 2:54 PM

That residential building on St. Mary's Rd got me all like

The only explanation for the way it looks is that the landlord wanted to inflict revenge on the neighbourhood for blocking the initial proposal.

I agree with Jeff though re: the Promenade Bistro building. That has to be one of the most marketable locations in the city. There are few if any sites in Winnipeg where a moderately scaled (4 to 6 storey) building would have such amazing views. I can't help but think that if you put 40 condos on the market in there at a reasonable price, that they'd be snapped up fast.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
demo of the old house occurred in the Fall and the hole is starting to be dug now for this place in Norwood Flats fronting St.Mary's rd. 6 units of luxury condo's, much needed for the area (in my opinion)

This building looks like the ghost of the Murder Mansion rooming house on Balmoral near Notre Dame currently being demolished. Norwood Flats can have it. Through a City of St. Boniface zoning code from the 1920s that has managed to live on, Norwood Flats has kept out virtually any new infill development in the last decade.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
This building looks like the ghost of the Murder Mansion rooming house on Balmoral near Notre Dame currently being demolished. Norwood Flats can have it. Through a City of St. Boniface zoning code from the 1920s that has managed to live on, Norwood Flats has kept out virtually any new infill development in the last decade.
i disagree, i think it'll be a nice addition to St Mary's. 6 new 2 bedroom condo suites replacing a tiny single family home on a major transit route and driving throufare located 1 km from St B hospital, 2.2 km from The Forks and 2.5 kms from Portage and Main!!!

it's a urban advocates wet dream, isn't it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan