HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:42 PM
BANNED

I would like to see some townhomes in the area. They would attract more families to the area, and others who may not want a condo, but to have even a small yard.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:35 PM
BANNED

I discovered Qualico will be retaining one of the freight elevators at 139/145 McDermot, and repurposing another into living space. This is the only form of redeveloping heritage buildings IMO. To retain these amazing components of a building's character creates truly amazing living spaces. Additionally, the freight elevator makes moving in much easer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I discovered Qualico will be retaining one of the freight elevators at 139/145 McDermot, and repurposing another into living space. This is the only form of redeveloping heritage buildings IMO. To retain these amazing components of a building's character creates truly amazing living spaces. Additionally, the freight elevator makes moving in much easer.
Nice touch! Any sense when we'll see this development go to market? I'm very curious how the units with private terraces will be laid out.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Do you mean 139 Market Ave?

......139 Market Ave should start interior reno's in early 2016.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 8:01 PM
BANNED

139/145 have been joined together by Qualico. Work has begun, but plans will not be ready until sometime in 2016.

http://www.701architecture.ca/displa...t-condominiums

This is a unit in 133 market, and it is gorgeous (the unit; I could do without the cold furniture and accessories). The shaft from the freight elevator is an office.

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/district-condominiums

Last edited by Urban recluse; Dec 8, 2015 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 8:41 PM

Con't from Winnipeg Construction Thread.

http://mytoba.ca/news/program-to-pro...t-storefronts/
Quote:
A total of 13 storefronts in Winnipeg’s downtown will be getting a makeover thanks to the new Exchange District Heritage Façade and Storefront Improvement Program.

... The program, launched in 2015, is a joint initiative supported by the Manitoba government, the City of Winnipeg and CentreVenture

... The Exchange District Heritage Façade and Storefront Improvement Program provides up to $5,000 to cover professional design consulting fees, and will match up to $15,000 for eligible storefront improvements. Businesses with more than one frontage on a public street may receive up to $30,000 for eligible storefront improvements. Grants will cover up to 50 per cent of the cost of the eligible works per storefront.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Con't from Winnipeg Construction Thread.

http://mytoba.ca/news/program-to-pro...t-storefronts/
Quite a few of these didn't happen this year or didn't finish. Most notably (and ironically) Deer + Almond.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:47 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...364635741.html

New info today about a rental unit going up. Sounds great, to bad that's the surface lot I park in currently - at least it seems to be, I can find no match for "98 Market Ave" on Google, COW taxation, or Impark's lot lists.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:36 PM

This discussion is taking place in the construction thread, thanks for posting the article here though

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:19 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...364635741.html

New info today about a rental unit going up. Sounds great, to bad that's the surface lot I park in currently - at least it seems to be, I can find no match for "98 Market Ave" on Google, COW taxation, or Impark's lot lists.
Here's a link on streetview:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89819...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's hard to tell the position of the building on the lot from that rendering. I presume that single storey building off to the side of this lot will stay?
Better look at the 98 Market Ave residential proposal slated to begin construction this March from several other perspectives.

Images (Courtesy Albert Cheung) - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...plex-1.3396625

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:53 PM

^ The curve gives it a certain je ne sais quoi... sort of an echo from the past when railways criss-crossed the Exchange District.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The curve gives it a certain je ne sais quoi... sort of an echo from the past when railways criss-crossed the Exchange District.
The curve in the building reflects the property line and is a memory of a spur line behind it...

Great project for the area if it gets built. The subsidy can be a two edge sword.

Wish them all good fortune as they begin.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 5:53 PM
surely you agree with me

Oof. Open surface parking under a raised building on columns. That shouldn't be allowed in the exchange district.

I wonder if this project has been to UDAC.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Oof. Open surface parking under a raised building on columns. That shouldn't be allowed in the exchange district.

Personally I can live with it if it's tucked in the back out of sight, behind a streetfront CRU the way that this one is. Not ideal, but an acceptable compromise in light of the lack of parking in the area.

Where this kind of arrangement becomes a real problem is when the open surface parking is prominently visible, e.g. new WRHA building on Marion, or the True North Powerhouse on Graham.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Personally I can live with it if it's tucked in the back out of sight, behind a streetfront CRU the way that this one is. Not ideal, but an acceptable compromise in light of the lack of parking in the area.
I semi-agree with both of you. Haha. I can definitely live with the parking in the back, my issue is the access off of Market and how it's so wide open to see from the street. It's unfortunate there's no lane a la Ship Street on this block so access to parking could be off the main streets.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:

Has to be one of the main design issues I have an issue with..aprx: 75% of the building is configured this way, open at grade parking stalls. It would be interesting to here the UDAC's - Urban Design Advisory Committee's, thoughts on it.

It's kind of interesting that this is the 1st "new" infill projects being constructed within the actual boundaries of the Exchange District National Historic site..

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:30 PM
surely you agree with me

Esquire you are such an optimist these days.

Pretty sure that design is in conflict with the exchange district design guidelines. It actually isn't tucked away behind a cru. It fronts market street. The cru fronts the lane behind does it not?

Either way it is not a precedent that should be allowed in the exchange. That is a Pembina highway solution. I'm sure a client request. I'm kind of over the attitude that we need to accept things like that for fear of losing development. Have to think long term.

At minimum the parking could be hidden behind a facade instead of completely wide open.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:32 PM
surely you agree with me

It's odd that market is treated as the back side and the lane is the front. Does that middle right image not show surface parking right up to the sidewalk on market?
Am I reading it wrong?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:57 PM

^ Looking at the pic more closely, it appears that the CRU is located directly at the corner of Market and Bertha, which is what I thought. However, I can see that it doesn't extend all the way down Bertha and there is a small egress for cars.

If you're standing on Market Street, all you're really going to notice is the building with CRU at the bottom. The parked cars won't be obvious.

I know it isn't perfect, but at least the developer and architect have attempted to address this issue with a reasonable compromise. The reality is that having CRU space along the laneway that extends east of the corner of Market and Bertha would probably be impossible to lease... it's essentially fronting on to a backlane. Bertha has that character too to a slightly lesser extent. I don't think those spaces would be easily leased in Toronto or New York, let alone Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan