HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
A positve post. Thank you Eman.
It distracts me from all the Horror of the Proposed SkyCity project thread and it's utter and impending doom.
Don't feel too badly. It's not unusual for pie in the sky projects to get proposed and then disappear into the mist.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Don't feel too badly. It's not unusual for pie in the sky projects to get proposed and then disappear into the mist.
Thanks for your comforting words. It brings me the solace I need after discussing multiple projects in the last year that have faded into the dust as I think of what Winnipeg, may have been.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:05 PM

Foundation work beginning in earnest today. For those who are annoyed by the piles being driven at Glasshouse can you imagine living by a construction zone in Assiniboine? I'd go crazy

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 9:42 PM

Cranes on site now

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 AM

Ooh nice. Tower crane or crawler for now?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 7:25 PM

Just the crawler(s).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:06 AM

Can anyone figure out what the fuck they're actually doing there? Besides making lots of noise.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Can anyone figure out what the fuck they're actually doing there? Besides making lots of noise.
Pile driving

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:25 AM

Guess again.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
It looks like they're pouring cement directly into the holes they're drilling (watching from my window a few feet away).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 7:05 PM

From what I understand, a bunch of deposits have fallen off the table bringing the pre-sales to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50%. That's a lot of units to sell given how long it took to sell the first half. I have no idea what the future of this project looks like, but with pre-sales losing momentum and new buyers paying a significant premium to the originally advertised price, somebody is going to take a bath if they start building in earnest...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
From what I understand, a bunch of deposits have fallen off the table bringing the pre-sales to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50%. That's a lot of units to sell given how long it took to sell the first half. I have no idea what the future of this project looks like, but with pre-sales losing momentum and new buyers paying a significant premium to the originally advertised price, somebody is going to take a bath if they start building in earnest...
Nice to see you again! Can you explain why recent buyers would be paying a premium? If the units are selling slowly one would expect them to have to discount.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
Nice to see you again! Can you explain why recent buyers would be paying a premium? If the units are selling slowly one would expect them to have to discount.
Sure, but keep in mind I'm not involved in this project. I can't speak to anything other than information that has been relayed to me by involved parties.

Original cost estimates were low. Very low. My understanding for this was that the developer may have had some rose-colored glasses on and proceeded with pre-sales at a rate that was likely unachievable from the start. In any case - and beyond more than just a few missteps - the actual costing came back far higher than anticipated. Consequently, at the risk of losing pre-sales from existing depositors, the costs get passed on to the new purchasers. Not only are they paying a premium over and above originally advertised prices because more realistic construction figures are in, they're also no tasked with making up the short fall in revenue from the originally committed buyers.

The developer in a case like this would likely be looking for something on the order of a 40% return on equity in order to justify the risk. Square footage prices are going to have to rise in order to accommodate this or the risk of it never getting built goes up. Think about the risks of having 10 or 12 units unsold. The carry costs of the units could nullify all profitability over the course of just a few months...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sure, but keep in mind I'm not involved in this project. I can't speak to anything other than information that has been relayed to me by involved parties.

Original cost estimates were low. Very low. My understanding for this was that the developer may have had some rose-colored glasses on and proceeded with pre-sales at a rate that was likely unachievable from the start. In any case - and beyond more than just a few missteps - the actual costing came back far higher than anticipated. Consequently, at the risk of losing pre-sales from existing depositors, the costs get passed on to the new purchasers. Not only are they paying a premium over and above originally advertised prices because more realistic construction figures are in, they're also no tasked with making up the short fall in revenue from the originally committed buyers.

The developer in a case like this would likely be looking for something on the order of a 40% return on equity in order to justify the risk. Square footage prices are going to have to rise in order to accommodate this or the risk of it never getting built goes up. Think about the risks of having 10 or 12 units unsold. The carry costs of the units could nullify all profitability over the course of just a few months...
This still doesn't make sense to me. Prices are determined by supply and demand. If there were buyers willing to pay the second, higher, price, why would the developer have initially offered a lower price? That's just leaving money on the table. Similarly, if buyers were initially only willing to pay the first, lower, price, why would the news that the project has been mismanaged make them willing to pay more than what earlier buyers paid?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 2:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I drove by on Friday evening, looked to me like they were drilling for poured caissons as opposed to driven piles.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
This still doesn't make sense to me. Prices are determined by supply and demand. If there were buyers willing to pay the second, higher, price, why would the developer have initially offered a lower price? That's just leaving money on the table. Similarly, if buyers were initially only willing to pay the first, lower, price, why would the news that the project has been mismanaged make them willing to pay more than what earlier buyers paid?
They offer a "discount" for purchasers who are willing to come into a project early and wait for 2-3 (or 4) years while the rest if the units and sold are for building construction. The people coming in at the end will pay the premium because most of the leg work is completed and they will have a shorter wait time until possession. I think is fairly standard practice throughout the market. And exactly what the sales agent at dCondo told me, straight up.

But adding in the whole low estimate thing, it's a bit of a different dynamic now.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:09 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I drove by on Friday evening, looked to me like they were drilling for poured caissons as opposed to driven piles.
I had heard that the foundation was using driven concrete piles to save on cost. Maybe that changed, or they figured due to the proximity of the buildings on either side, that pounding piles wasn't such a good plan.

The building on one side of that development is literally on the property line, and this new building will butt up right to it IIRC.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They offer a "discount" for purchasers who are willing to come into a project early and wait for 2-3 (or 4) years while the rest if the units and sold are for building construction. The people coming in at the end will pay the premium because most of the leg work is completed and they will have a shorter wait time until possession. I think is fairly standard practice throughout the market. And exactly what the sales agent at dCondo told me, straight up.

But adding in the whole low estimate thing, it's a bit of a different dynamic now.
Yeah, this is a pretty good summation of things. Those purchasing upfront are shouldering a ton of risk. They're also 100% necessary for getting the building financed, so you need to incentivize them in some capacity. The danger in these cases can be manifold, but a developer can be his own worst enemy in a lot of ways.

Generally speaking, one would begin to pre-sale with drawings at somewhere on the order of 35% completion along with a fairly good breakdown of what the unit and building will look like. Actually, the new condo act says you have to disclose precisely what a 'standard unit' will be comprised of all the way down to the branding on all fixtures. So to actually cost drawings at about 35% is quite difficult to do. That would be considered a Class C estimate which is thought to be somewhere on the order of +/-20% of actual costs, so you're really throwing darts at the board at that point. So you have the choice: how optimistic do you want to be? If you're really optimistic, you're unlikely to account for true costs. A lot of people also fail to account for accuracy in their costing. In other words, if it takes you three years to sell units and construction inflation is moving at 2% per year, it's irrelevant how accurate your pricing model is, you've discounted 6%. Anyway, these numbers are what are going to set your prices for pre-sales.

Then think about what can happen down the line. Your drawings become more fleshed out, your costing is more accurate - usually higher - and now you have to continue to sell units. If you've skewed way to the low side of your costing all along and now reality has just set in, you're not only at the whim of the market, you're at the whim of your risk tolerance; you need to generate a certain sale price in order to sleep at night. But this is why I say one can easily take a bath on a project like this - oftentimes the market just simply won't bear the costs when they're finally in.

A good example of this would be One Wellington. There are still two units left unsold because the costs just spiraled.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Seems like the most likely scenario.(Have not seen the site). The Geo work that took place could have shown that the proximity to the (Assiniboine River/water levels), the clay/mud base on this particular site, and the proximity to adjacent structures made it the most prudent way to proceed. Not a small structure in the foot print it is being constructed on.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote:

A good example of this would be One Wellington. There are still two units left unsold because the costs just spiraled.
The ugliness of One Wellington must also play a part, though, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan