HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:41 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Dayton is a nice building. Best case scenario IMO is a TNSE affiliated company buys it, completely guts it inside and markets it as basically a new build but while maintaining and possibly improving upon the classic mid-century exterior design.

The Affleck Block (O'Calcutta) can go, though. It's just the remnant of a larger building that once stood there and if memory serves you could probably build something at least 4 or 5 storeys tall without blocking anything.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^ So you're sure whomever purchases the building will not be redeveloping? How are you so sure? Seems everything that's go in that building has failed.

It's the first curtain wall to be built in Winnipeg. Other than that there's nothing special about it from what I can tell.
I think a lot of the issues with failed businesses there is that the landlord didn't give a crap about the building and never upgraded or properly maintained it – so it's tough to keep or attract tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ You might be right and that building could very well be simply renovated or even left in its current state. But there's no question that the area around MTS Centre has become fairly busy with respect to development and it isn't out of the question that someone could end up building something new there.

I take your point regarding the suburbs too, but that's a far cry from the Glasshouse situation. Nowhere in the suburbs would you be faced with the potential of a highrise going up 25 feet from your balcony leaving you almost permanently in the shade, except possibly for late evening sunsets. No 4 storey school-lot condo development would bring about that result.
To be fair there are groups of small apartment blocks all over the city that block each others' sunlight – they don't have to be tall, and in fact can be even closer if they're short.

Quote:
^ Dayton is a nice building. Best case scenario IMO is a TNSE affiliated company buys it, completely guts it inside and markets it as basically a new build but while maintaining and possibly improving upon the classic mid-century exterior design.

The Affleck Block (O'Calcutta) can go, though. It's just the remnant of a larger building that once stood there and if memory serves you could probably build something at least 4 or 5 storeys tall without blocking anything.
The Dayton could look beautiful with a new, more transparent curtain wall, and upgrading of the main floor brick/finishings. It's got big windows all along Portage as well. Would look great with new clear glass to complement the Centrepoint podium.

Yeah – O'Calcutta needs to go though. While the tyndall on the main floor is nice – it needs to be at least a 4 storey building there, looks so out of place between Dayton and the Mitchell-Copp facade, with Glasshouse towering behind. It could be nice to keep the facade, but who cares at this point with the way Mitchell-Copp was butchered.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:21 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I believe both Dayton and Affleck (O'Calcutta) buildings were bought for a pittance by small-time local operators back in the 90s when things were distressed downtown. The end result is that you have a two-bit shop like O'Calcutta occupying a prime space (how on earth would it not make more sense for that family to lease out that building and just rent space somewhere else for their store?!) and you have the Dayton Building sitting there as neglected C-grade office space.

In the hands of a larger operator, the Dayton could be polished up into a jewel and the Affleck could be replaced by something more substantial.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:38 PM

^Yeah – could easily see it being renovated along the lines of what 546 just did to the Hudson Building on Graham. It looks great – but had coloured panels and old windows before, just like Dayton currently.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:02 PM

i always thought that o'calcutta owned their building

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:07 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Unless that changed recently, they do.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:23 PM

The Affleck building used to be three storeys, but the upper floors were destroyed in a fire at some point in the mid-20th century. My great-grandfather had an office upstairs there in the 1910s. The ground floor isn't necessarily worth saving, but it could have floors built above it.

A renovated Dayton's building could definitely look like Hudson Building... would be incredible to see that block of Portage after these two properties are restored/rebuilt. I really don't see the owners of the Affleck building wanting to sell or develop, though, unless something came along and offered them a lot of money.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The Affleck building used to be three storeys, but the upper floors were destroyed in a fire at some point in the mid-20th century. My great-grandfather had an office upstairs there in the 1910s. The ground floor isn't necessarily worth saving, but it could have floors built above it.
Seems like this is the story of 80% of buildings in Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
A renovated Dayton's building could definitely look like Hudson Building... would be incredible to see that block of Portage after these two properties are restored/rebuilt. I really don't see the owners of the Affleck building wanting to sell or develop, though, unless something came along and offered them a lot of money.
Yup – that treatment on Dayton would look amazing with the way the Centrepoint podium is finished. Plus the coming renos to Newport across the street. And yeah, I imagine O'Calcutta is just waiting for a big payday. The building is actually quite large, goes very deep.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:11 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
While the sign was down, it was neat to see the outline of an old Marks & Spencer sign underneath. Anyone happen to get a photo of that?
https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/st...79739054645254

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Awesome, thanks!

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:45 PM

Residence Inn Winnipeg Airport has now been added to the Marriott booking site. Scheduled to open in September. Noticed most of the glass was in on the weekend.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...nipeg-airport/

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Whoa! I didn't even know marks & Spencer was ever in Canada!
When was this?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:16 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
When was this?
There was a location in Portage Place right up until sometime in the mid 90s.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:28 PM

M&S pulled out of Canada completely in the late 90's.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:36 PM

I still maintain it is a great time for the condo board of Glass House to strike a deal to buy the Daytona building and turn it into commercial condos. Make it part of the same condo board so they have to get a majority vote of the residential owners to do anything to block the south facing views.

It will likely never happen as people would need to put some cash upfront to back it but it would sure make sense if they could pull it off.

As for O'Calcutta there is likely a deal to be made but you are likely paying market rates for the property and needing to buy the business as a going concern too.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
There was a location in Portage Place right up until sometime in the mid 90s.
Marks and Spencer, was not part of the mail mall, but on the south side of Portage, next to NewPort Centre. The building between BellMts Centre and the Hydro Building was consider part of Portage Place.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89288...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I still maintain it is a great time for the condo board of Glass House to strike a deal to buy the Daytona building and turn it into commercial condos. Make it part of the same condo board so they have to get a majority vote of the residential owners to do anything to block the south facing views.

It will likely never happen as people would need to put some cash upfront to back it but it would sure make sense if they could pull it off.

As for O'Calcutta there is likely a deal to be made but you are likely paying market rates for the property and needing to buy the business as a going concern too.
Considering a huge chunk of Glasshouse is investment properties and Airbnbs, I doubt many owners would have any interest in protecting the view. Yeah the sun is nice, but the view is the roof of the arena lol.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba Housing has finally issued an EOI for their lands at Mayfair and River Ave. They will co-develop or sell of portions of the property if the development is right. Needs to be an affordable component to it and they specify density is required with zoning allowing 6 storeys.

Will be an interesting one to watch .
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Manitoba Housing has finally issued an EOI for their lands at Mayfair and River Ave. They will co-develop or sell of portions of the property if the development is right. Needs to be an affordable component to it and they specify density is required with zoning allowing 6 storeys.

Will be an interesting one to watch .
That is the property east of Donald St, between River and Mayfair and beside Fort Rouge School?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
When was this?
There was also a store in Forest Park Mall (now called Charleswood Centre).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan