HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:11 PM
1st Ward

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/pu...nvs/index.html

It seems the Chicago metro has seen a decent influx of displaced Puerto Ricans since Hurricane Maria hit the island last year. Chicago is 7th nationwide, which isn't bad considering Florida took in over half of the migrants. New York and Philadelphia were the only non Florida metros to gain more than Chicagoland.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Marothisu, I wasn’t clear on your data: are those people who are of 100% Chinese/Indian descent regardless of place of birth, or are they foreign born? If the former, how does the census determine that?
It's people who are 100% Chinese/Indian regardless of where they were born. They could be foreign born (I mean hell they could have been born in France to parents both from China or something) or maybe they were just born in Chicago itself - this data doesn't care where in the world they were born. How do they determine? They ask people what nationality they are and if they were born outside of the US too. It's estimates, so maybe it's not spot on but it's probably a decent estimate. I did the foreign born stuff a few months ago... I think maybe only 1/4 to 1/3 of the Indians who live downtown were actually born in India.

And think about this - in greater downtown area or at least what I'm referring to it (all of Near North, South, West and the Loop - only because it's easy to do so), nearly 11% of all people are either Indian or Chinese and you can just about 5000 more for Korean, Japanese, and Pakistani people which then makes this entire thing. That means that 13.2% of all people in these 4 community areas are either Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Japanese, or Korean.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:55 AM

Here are some differences by community area of the populations I listed from 2010 to 2016

Chinese
1. Near West Side: +1882 people
2. Near South Side: +1207 people
3. Loop: +1143 people
4. Armour Square: +1113 people
5. Brighton Park: +1074 people
6. Near North Side: +961 people
7. Douglas: +901 people
8. Bridgeport: +823 people
9. Hyde Park: +669 people
10. Kenwood: +582 people
11. Archer Heights: +359 people
12. Lincoln Park: +333 people
13. New City: +322 people
14. Woodlawn: +294 people
15. Lincoln Square: +291 people
16. Albany Park: +276 people
17. McKinley Park: +241 people
18. West Elsdon: +239 people
19. Irving Park: +236 people
20. West Town: +207 people
21. Logan Square: +172 people
22. Lower West Side: +123 people

19 more areas with positive but under +100 each. Another 11 areas with no change, and 25 areas with a loss. The largest losses were West Ridge (-782), Uptown (-751), Rogers Park (-371), Forest Glen (-146), and Edgewater (-115).

* Total net difference for the city = +11,197 people
* Total net difference for Near North, South, West, and the Loop for this time period = +5193 people

* Total net difference for area above + Armour Square, Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Douglas, and Brighton Park = +9104 people

If you add in New City, Kenwood, Archer Heights, Woodlawn, and Hyde Park into this then it's +11,330 people

Just to put this into perspective...the Chinese population of these 4 CAs that are in and just around downtown went from just under 5000 people in 2010 to over 10,000 people in 2016. The Chinese population over doubled downtown in just 6 years. This is an increase of over 850 people per year, meaning that in 2018 at that rate, the number could be right around 12,000 people.

Indian
1. Near North Side: +1935 people
2. Near South Side: +1091 people
3. Near West Side: +1088 people
4. North Park: +1074 people
5. Loop: +934 people
6. Lakeview: +708 people
7. Rogers Park: +423 people
8. Douglas: +408 people
9. West Ridge: +365 people
10. Albany Park: +362 people
11. North Center: +226 people
12. Edgewater: +199 people
13. West Town: +198 people
14. Lower West Side: +158 people
15. Edison Park: +119 people
16. Montclare: +112 people
17. Austin: +101 people

There were 17 more areas with a gain of under 100 people each, and another 14 areas with no change. There were 29 areas with loss. Largest areas with loss were Uptown (-466), Norwood Park (-452), Jefferson Park (-386), O'Hare (-337), and Irving Park (-291).

* Total net change city-wide = +6431 people
* Total net change of Near North, South, West, and the Loop = +5048 people

Total Indian population went from 7100 people in 2010 to over 12,000 people in 2016. That rate is 841 people per year, meaning might be closer to 14,000 now if that rate persists/persisted.

Indian and Chinese population of this downtown area of Chicago alone increased by over 10,000 people since 2010. That's something like around 6-7% in 2010 to 11% in 2016...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A Silicon Valley software company is setting up shop in Chicago, drawn to the region's tech talent, not sales.

ServiceNow, which makes software that businesses use to automate tasks such as IT administration, plans over the next two years to hire 150 engineers, developers, designers and other tech workers to build products here.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...neering-center
Not gonna lie - never heard of this company. Then I read the article and saw that they're publicly traded with 6200 employees and their CEO is a former CEO of eBay. Not bad at all.

Quote:
I predict a lot of companies will do this, realizing that it’s really not worth it to pay a premium for all that fancy MIT talent for more than just a handful of people working on the most cutting edge projects.

And besides, UIUC is also one of the top engineering schools in the nation although I’ve heard its rankings have slipped a bit.
The majority of talent in the Bay Area does NOT come from places like MIT or Ivy League schools. Not even close. This is a common misconception - I've written about it so many times. There's a hell of a lot more to creating tech/software/whatever for a real company beyond what your IQ is and how well you can code (and most college grads, on average, are not great coders no matter where they come from. Just because you can get some code to work does not mean you are good). There's so much to it - things like communication are especially important. The execs for Amazon who said they wanted to be close to MIT for talent basically are living in a fantasy land (also because they think these guys actually want to work for them but that's another story) if they believe this is actually going to matter for staffing up 50,000 people.

Anyway, here are the actual top 25 schools that produce the most workers in Silicon Valley and there is a reason why the CEO in the article is saying what he does. There's a reason why other companies have stated similar things. Many do actually come from the Midwest. I went to school in the Midwest - I can attest to this too. I graduated with only 10 or 11 others for Computer Science (started with around 150 LOL..), but over half just went to the Bay Area right away. A few started their own companies - sold them - decently well off now. There is a large handful of people I worked with in Chicago who also moved to the Bay Area to work for many tech companies whether it was Apple, Google, etc - I know some others from Minnesota and Chicago who went to Seattle to work for Microsoft or Nintendo. These areas have a lot more midwestern talent than most people realize. The common misconception is that it's a bunch of MIT type of people and that's very far from the truth. Actually, these companies recruit well in their own back yards and not always from the schools you may expect.

https://qz.com/967985/silicon-valley...he-ivy-league/

1. UC Berkeley
2. Stanford
3. Carnegie Mellon
4. USC
5. Texas
6. Georgia Tech
7. University of Illinois
8. San Jose State
9. UC-San Diego
10. Arizona State
11. Michigan
12. UCLA
13. North Carolina State
14. Cal Poly-SLO
15. Cornell
16. University of Waterloo (Canada)
17. Texas A&M
18. University of Washington
19. Purdue
20. MIT
21. Santa Clara University
22. University of Phoenix
23. UC-Santa Barbara
24. UC-Davis
25. Penn State

Obviously California schools dominate the list (10 of the 25), but there are 3 schools on here that are Big Ten all in the midwest, and every single one of them produces more alum working in Silicon Valley than MIT does, individually and combined. Another one is in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon) which is pretty close to Ohio.

Here's a similar study from CNBC from 2017 for top tech companies (not just silicon valley)
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/28/the-...companies.html

1. University of Washington
2. Carnegie Mellon
3. Stanford
4. UC-Berkeley
5. USC
6. San Jose State
7. University of Michigan
8. Texas
9. Georgia Tech
10. University of Illinois
11. MIT
12. UCLA
13. Maryland
14. Purdue
15. North Carolina State
16. Cornell
17. University of Phoenix
18. Arizona State
19. UC-San DIego
20. Santa Clara University
21. Florida
22. Cal Poly-SLO
23. Northeastern
24. UC-Davis
25. University of Waterloo (Canada)
26. UPenn
27. Harvard
28. Virginia Tech
29. University of Minnesota
30. Texas A&M

This time it's 4 Big Ten midwestern schools on the list, with 2 of them having more than MIT each, and another one not far behind.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:37 AM
BANNED

Good work marothisu

Send that to Bezos STAT.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Good work again

marothisu

But from my experience the Indian community has a much larger population outside of the city than in. These are mainly professional family's that work in the healthcare sector
[think High level... Surgeons to MD's, DO's, PharmD. PA's ect ] or in their own private businesses. Although a lot of these people are second generation and went to the Universities in the USA, even if they were born in India and came over as kids.

Schaumburg [ tons of Indian restaurants there], Bartlett, Naperville, Lake County Illinois. Northern Cook county I would suspect have way more Indian's population than any in the city limits. Can you try to dig into those areas for data too?

This used to be my go to temple, In NW Chicagoland suburban Bartlett.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAPS_S...Mandir_Chicago

The mandir is the largest of its kind in Illinois and was constructed according to guidelines outlined in ancient Hindu texts of temple architecture. The complex spreads over 27 acres and, in addition to the mandir, includes a haveli and a small bookstore. The haveli is a cultural center in which weekly congregations are held. The mandir is open daily for worship and to visitors

The limestone and marble stones for the Mandir were quarried from Turkey and Italy and shipped to Gujarat, India. From here, the stones were transported to Rajasthan where they were hewn and carved by 2000 craftsmen. In total, 70,000 cubic feet of stone was chiseled and shaped with intricate patterns and designs. Once the stones were sculpted, they were shipped to Chicago. In total, 40,000 pieces of stone were shipped to Chicago where they were fitted together like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. The entire complex is situated on 27 acres. The mandir exterior is Turkish limestone and the interior is Italian Carrara marble. The mandir occupies 22,000 square feet, and is 78-feet high, 112-feet wide and 215-feet long. It is topped by 16 domes and has 151 pillars, 117 arches, five pinnacles and four balconies.

The mandir was constructed over 16 months and was officially inaugurated on 7 August 2004 by Pramukh Swami Maharaj. Congressman Henry Hyde and State Representative of Illinois John Miller were in attendance at the ceremony.
The mandir opening took place in the midst of a 16-day celebration, which also included a Vishvashanti Maha yagna (collective prayer for world peace) and a shobhyatra (colorful procession) through downtown Chicago.

Date built
August 2004 (consecrated)

http://www.baps.org/Global-Network/N...a/Chicago.aspx

Everyone should get a chance to check it out, just remember to take your shoes off at the door. Don't worry they will let you know where to place your shoes.

Its the Northwestern suburban larger version of the Baha'i temple in Wilmette but on steroids and a totally different religion, this one is Hindu vs Baha'i.

Last edited by bnk; Feb 24, 2018 at 5:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Good work marothisu

Send that to Bezos STAT.

I want to say he might know this already because I think he's a guy who is aware of things, but who knows. I think it's pretty funny when people just assume that these companies are full of people who went to MIT, Cal Tech, etc. Don't get me wrong - maybe in the research departments at companies like Google, IBM, etc you'll find more of that, but companies that simply need larger amounts of people from solid engineering/tech school backgrounds go to many other schools as you can see above. The reality is that there's a lot of good engineering schools out there that these companies are more than willing to recruit from. Like U of Washington, Georgia Tech, Texas, University of Wisconsin, Michigan, University of Maryland, etc all have really good computer science graduate programs. They're actually ranked higher than places like Harvard - Purdue is ranked almost the same as Harvard in this regard. For some reason though people not in the know would probably laugh at you if you said that U of Wisconsin actually had a better Comp Sci grad program than Harvard. You know, I went to college in Iowa but I had numerous professors who had PhDs from Cal Tech, Carnegie Mellon, and Harvard. As someone who works in this industry and is actively involved in recruiting even for his own team(s), I cannot begin to tell you how much stuff is completely misunderstood out there. It's like everyone has an opinion but few really know what they're talking about.

If you are trying to build a work force and need numbers of pretty good people who went to good engineering/tech schools, and not considering out west (Washington, Oregon, California, or even Utah or Arizona) then in my opinion as far as pure "where is the other talent coming from college wise?" goes then your next best bet is going to be the Midwest because of the solid history of engineering programs in many universities. Texas is good too and NE is decent too, but Midwest and Texas I'd say moreso. Maybe near the Carolinas/Atlanta too you could figure (Georgia Tech, NC State, etc).

The difference is that a lot of the talent from the midwest went to the coasts because the tech scene in Chicago was lackluster for awhile if you didn't want to be a consultant or work at something like Motorola. Chicago has come a long ways, and still has a long ways to go, but the thing is that the talent is there. People from companies in the bay area who do recruiting more than know this already.

Just look at some of the alum or people who attended these schools

* Larry Ellison - UIUC. Founder of Oracle - dropped out after awhile. Also attended U of Chicago for a short time.
* Larry Page - Michigan. Co-founder of Google
* Bill Joy - Michigan. Co-founder of Sun Microsystems
* Mark Cuban - Indiana. Founder of Broadcast.com. Owner of the Dallas Mavericks
* Niklas Zennstrom - Michigan (for a year). Creator of Skype
* Brendan Eich - UIUC. Creator of JavaScript
* Max Levchin - UIUC. Co-Founder of PayPal
* Steve Chen - UIUC. Co-Founder of YouTube
* Jawed Karim - UIUC. Co-Founder of YouTube
* Russel Simmons - UIUC. Co-Founder of Yelp
* Jeremy Stoppelman - UIUC. Co-Founder and CEO of Yelp
* Jerry Sanders - UIUC. Co-Founder and former CEO of AMD
* Tomlinson Holman - UIUC. Creator of THX (movie system..)
* Marc Andreesen - UIUC. Creator of Mosaic and Netscape. Has run a very successful VC firm for a long time
* Martin Eberhard - UIUC. Co-Founder and CEO of Tesla Motors
* Marcin Kleczynski - UIUC. Founder and CEO of Malwarebytes
* Jim Buckmaster - Michigan. CEO of Craig's List
* Dick Costolo - Michigan. Former CEO of Twitter
* Tony Fadell - Michigan. One of the "fathers" of the iPod. Founder of Nest - the smart thermostat company
* Thomas Knoll - Michigan. Creator of Photoshop
* Sid Meier - Michigan. Creator of such games as the Civilization franchise
* Stephen Cook - Michigan. Creator of the NP Complete Theory. Very important - look it up
* Jason Jones and Alex Seropian - University of Chicago. Co-founders of Bungie Studios, the creators of the game Halo
* Joseph Staten - Northwestern. One of the heads for the video game Halo
* Emanuel Piore - Wisconsin. Former head of research for IBM.
* John Atanasoff and Clifford Berry. Iowa State. Inventors of the first electronic digital computer (okay this was a long time ago, LOL)
* Seymour Cray - Minnesota. Founder of Cray (okay - a long time ago too)
* Judith Faulkner - Wisconsin. Founder and CEO of Epic Systems (based on Madison, but still)
* Larry Sanger - Ohio State. Co-founder of Wikipedia
* Jimmy Wales - Indiana. Co-founder of Wikipedia
* Scott Heiferman - Iowa. Founder of Meetup.com
* Ted Waitt - Iowa. Co-founder of Gateway Computer
* Gary Kremen - Northwestern. Co-founder of Match.com
* Paul Sagan - Northwestern. President and CEO of Akamai

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 24, 2018 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:21 AM
The City

Great info. Solid growth for sure. I admit I wish Chicago would see the kind of insane growth that Toronto is seeing, but I guess it's not in the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:22 AM

Yeah I grew up in Bartlett and there a TON of Indians there and in the northwest suburbs in general. In addition to the BAPS temple we also have a Jain one as well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Good work again

marothisu

But from my experience the Indian community has a much larger population outside of the city than in.
Thanks. Yes, this is true - but in reality, a lot of places don't have a huge percentage living in the principal city for Indians. 19% of the Chicago MSAs Indians live in the city of Chicago. Compare that to just under 7% for the Dallas area and 11.6% for the San Francisco area. Los Angeles and Houston are both 25-26% while NYC is 35% and San Jose is just under 40%

On the flip side, Chicago is basically only 2nd to NYC as far as percentage of Chinese population living in the city. Over 48% of the Chicago area's Chinese population lives in the city. NYC is at just over 73% . San Jose is at 42.5% while San Francisco is at just under 38%. Houston is at 40%. At the bottom is Dallas at 14.5% and Los Angeles at 13.6%

Quote:
Great info. Solid growth for sure. I admit I wish Chicago would see the kind of insane growth that Toronto is seeing, but I guess it's not in the cards.
Yeah that would be good, but you take what you can get. I think a growth of over 10,000 downtown in just these two groups is actually pretty solid. I was wondering for a little bit why H-Mart chose the location they did. I figured because it was close to a few train lines and the interstate was the only reason. I'm sure that was a big one, but by doing this I also found out that particular census tract not only has the largest Korean population of anywhere downtown (small but still multiple hundred), it also turns out that over 40% of the residents in that census tract are either Chinese, Korean or Indian. For talking about an area downtown, in my opinion at least, that's pretty high percentage. I found out that a pretty authentic looking Chinese place with a few outposts in the Bay Area as well as San Diego and Seattle is opening in Chicago right across the bridge from H Mart. Pretty telling that they chose to come to Chicago over some other places and even decided to put this in the West Loop essentially and not even Chinatown. Maybe they ran the same data as I did and wanted to be right near downtown LOL.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:24 PM
The City

^ The only reason Houston is beating us in % of Indians living in the city proper is because Houston’s city proper is huge and heavily suburban.

Our city (and even much of our earlier suburban) housing stock is not within the tastes of Indians, except for younger generations who embrace city life and urbanism. The typical house your Indian guy wants is some huge McMansion with lots of space, a decent size yard, and ideally not more than 10 years old, if not new altogether.

Another prediction:

The Chinese growth will accelerate. The larger the established population base and services for them (grocers, social networks, etc), the more of a destination these communities will become. It’s even possible that growth rates here will begin to outpace NY/SF for the simple fact that it’s cheaper, plus it’s no longer out of the way since the community base is already here.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:21 PM

Kind of piggy backing from the above, Crains had an article about students at UIUC at a recent job fare talking to Amazon and saying they'd like to stay in Illinois to work especially if Amazon came, but would also relocate if needed. According to the article, 39% of 2015-16 UIUC graduates stayed in Illinois with another 6% going elsewhere in the midwest, but 41% went to the West Coast.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...on-and-chicago

If you work in Silicon Valley, you do know that there are a lot of midwestern people or people who went to school in the midwest. There are also a number of UIUC alum who prefer Chicago and look for jobs there first, but sometimes can't find it because they're international (need visa sponsorship) and head elsewhere. I know a handful of UIUC graduates in NYC who wanted to live in Chicago, but nobody would sponsor them, so they came to NYC instead.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Another prediction:

The Chinese growth will accelerate. The larger the established population base and services for them (grocers, social networks, etc), the more of a destination these communities will become. It’s even possible that growth rates here will begin to outpace NY/SF for the simple fact that it’s cheaper, plus it’s no longer out of the way since the community base is already here.
I hope it will accelerate - I think it has and I think people can see it in the quality of food. There is a big difference between Chinese food of Chicago in 2010 and Chinese food of Chicago in 2018. A lot more authentic places opened, much better, etc.

As far as outpacing rates of NYC? I doubt it. If you were talking only about Manhattan, then I'd agree with you because Manhattan itself isn't growing much with respect to Chinese population. However, Queens and Brooklyn are. Chicago is cheaper than these places, but these places that Chinese are going into also aren't Manhattan prices.

The Chinese population of NYC as a whole from 2010 to 2016 grew an estimated 89,309 people. For San Francisco, that was a growth of 13,689 Chinese people. Chicago and downtown Chicago for rate is not much below San Francisco city. However, NYC is adding a lot - in Queens and Brooklyn. Chicago is outpacing Manhattan.

Queens: +41,139 Chinese people from 2010 to 2016
Brooklyn: +37,643
Manhattan: +8189
State Island: +2491
Bronx: -1153

As far as acceleration in Chicago of Chinese population, here are the growth rates:
2010 to 2011: +1079 Chinese people
2011 to 2012: +1780
2012 to 2013: +1725
2013 to 2014: +617
2014 to 2015: +3611
2015 to 2016: +1108

I guess if it grew an average of say 1300 people per year, then you'd be looking at a little under 60,000 for the city proper around 2020. If it averaged minimum of +2000 per year then you'd be over 60K for the city proper, which would be pretty good considering there were just under 43,000 in the city in 2010 and in 2016 there was an estimated around 53,000.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 6:35 PM
The City

^ I would never be insane enough to think Chicago would gain more Chinese than New York in sheer numbers. That would be an extraordinary feat. I was talking about rates—percentage growth. And I think it’s perfectly feasible for that to happen in Chicago

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
^ I would never be insane enough to think Chicago would gain more Chinese than New York in sheer numbers. That would be an extraordinary feat. I was talking about rates—percentage growth. And I think it’s perfectly feasible for that to happen in Chicago
True. Don't know why I posted the raw numbers first before the percentages that I had LOL. Here are the rates from 2010 to 2016 for some places with at least 20K Chinese people reported in 2016. This is from the 1 year ACS

Seattle: +52.1%
San Diego: +43.2%
Houston: +22.3%
Chicago: +18.9%
Queens: +18.6%
Philadelphia: +18.2%
San Jose: +18.2%
Los Angeles: +18%
NYC: +17.4%
Brooklyn: +16.4%
Manhattan: +16.2%
San Francisco: +11.9%

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I want to say he might know this already because I think he's a guy who is aware of things, but who knows. I think it's pretty funny when people just assume that these companies are full of people who went to MIT, Cal Tech, etc. Don't get me wrong - maybe in the research departments at companies like Google, IBM, etc you'll find more of that, but companies that simply need larger amounts of people from solid engineering/tech school backgrounds go to many other schools as you can see above. The reality is that there's a lot of good engineering schools out there that these companies are more than willing to recruit from. Like U of Washington, Georgia Tech, Texas, University of Wisconsin, Michigan, University of Maryland, etc all have really good computer science graduate programs. They're actually ranked higher than places like Harvard - Purdue is ranked almost the same as Harvard in this regard. For some reason though people not in the know would probably laugh at you if you said that U of Wisconsin actually had a better Comp Sci grad program than Harvard. You know, I went to college in Iowa but I had numerous professors who had PhDs from Cal Tech, Carnegie Mellon, and Harvard. As someone who works in this industry and is actively involved in recruiting even for his own team(s), I cannot begin to tell you how much stuff is completely misunderstood out there. It's like everyone has an opinion but few really know what they're talking about.

If you are trying to build a work force and need numbers of pretty good people who went to good engineering/tech schools, and not considering out west (Washington, Oregon, California, or even Utah or Arizona) then in my opinion as far as pure "where is the other talent coming from college wise?" goes then your next best bet is going to be the Midwest because of the solid history of engineering programs in many universities. Texas is good too and NE is decent too, but Midwest and Texas I'd say moreso. Maybe near the Carolinas/Atlanta too you could figure (Georgia Tech, NC State, etc).

The difference is that a lot of the talent from the midwest went to the coasts because the tech scene in Chicago was lackluster for awhile if you didn't want to be a consultant or work at something like Motorola. Chicago has come a long ways, and still has a long ways to go, but the thing is that the talent is there. People from companies in the bay area who do recruiting more than know this already.

Just look at some of the alum or people who attended these schools

* Larry Ellison - UIUC. Founder of Oracle - dropped out after awhile. Also attended U of Chicago for a short time.
* Larry Page - Michigan. Co-founder of Google
* Bill Joy - Michigan. Co-founder of Sun Microsystems
* Mark Cuban - Indiana. Founder of Broadcast.com. Owner of the Dallas Mavericks
* Niklas Zennstrom - Michigan (for a year). Creator of Skype
* Brendan Eich - UIUC. Creator of JavaScript
* Max Levchin - UIUC. Co-Founder of PayPal
* Steve Chen - UIUC. Co-Founder of YouTube
* Jawed Karim - UIUC. Co-Founder of YouTube
* Russel Simmons - UIUC. Co-Founder of Yelp
* Jeremy Stoppelman - UIUC. Co-Founder and CEO of Yelp
* Jerry Sanders - UIUC. Co-Founder and former CEO of AMD
* Tomlinson Holman - UIUC. Creator of THX (movie system..)
* Marc Andreesen - UIUC. Creator of Mosaic and Netscape. Has run a very successful VC firm for a long time
* Martin Eberhard - UIUC. Co-Founder and CEO of Tesla Motors
* Marcin Kleczynski - UIUC. Founder and CEO of Malwarebytes
* Jim Buckmaster - Michigan. CEO of Craig's List
* Dick Costolo - Michigan. Former CEO of Twitter
* Tony Fadell - Michigan. One of the "fathers" of the iPod. Founder of Nest - the smart thermostat company
* Thomas Knoll - Michigan. Creator of Photoshop
* Sid Meier - Michigan. Creator of such games as the Civilization franchise
* Stephen Cook - Michigan. Creator of the NP Complete Theory. Very important - look it up
* Jason Jones and Alex Seropian - University of Chicago. Co-founders of Bungie Studios, the creators of the game Halo
* Joseph Staten - Northwestern. One of the heads for the video game Halo
* Emanuel Piore - Wisconsin. Former head of research for IBM.
* John Atanasoff and Clifford Berry. Iowa State. Inventors of the first electronic digital computer (okay this was a long time ago, LOL)
* Seymour Cray - Minnesota. Founder of Cray (okay - a long time ago too)
* Judith Faulkner - Wisconsin. Founder and CEO of Epic Systems (based on Madison, but still)
* Larry Sanger - Ohio State. Co-founder of Wikipedia
* Jimmy Wales - Indiana. Co-founder of Wikipedia
* Scott Heiferman - Iowa. Founder of Meetup.com
* Ted Waitt - Iowa. Co-founder of Gateway Computer
* Gary Kremen - Northwestern. Co-founder of Match.com
* Paul Sagan - Northwestern. President and CEO of Akamai
Must be something in the water down in Champaign-Urbana

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Must be something in the water down in Champaign-Urbana
One of the best engineering schools in the country - tons of successful/important people have come out of that university.

Just for fun...

Top Computer Science Graduate Programs (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...ience-rankings)
1T. Carnegie Mellon - Pittsburgh
1T. MIT - Cambridge, MA
1T. Stanford - Stanford, CA
1T. UC-Berkeley - Berkeley, CA
5. Illinois - Champaign, IL
6T. Cornell - Ithaca, NY
6T. Washington - Seattle
8. Princeton - Princeton, NJ
9T. Georgia Tech - Atlanta
9T. Texas - Austin
11T. Cal Tech - Pasadena, CA
11T. Wisconsin - Madison, WI
13T. Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
13T. UCLA - Los Angeles
15T. Columbia - NYC
15T. Maryland - College Park, MD
15T. UC-San Diego - San Diego
18. Harvard - Cambridge, MA
19. UPenn - Philadelphia
20T. Brown - Providence
20T. Purdue
20T. Rice - Houston
20T. USC - Los Angeles
20T. Yale - New Haven, CT
25T. Duke - Durham, NC
25T. UMass-Amherst - Amherst, MA
25T. North Carolina - Chapel Hill, NC
28. Johns Hopkins - Baltimore
29T. Minnesota - Minneapolis
29T. NYU - NYC
29T. Penn State - University Park, PA
29T. UC-Irvine - Irvine, CA
29T. Virginia - Charlottesville, VA
34T. Northwestern - Evanston, IL
34T. Ohio State - Columbus, OH
34T. Rutgers - Piscataway, NJ
34T. UC-Davis - Davis, CA
34T. UC-Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara, CA
34T. University of Chicago - Chicago
40T. Dartmouth - Hanover, NH
40T. Stony Brook - Stony Brook, NY
40T. Texas A&M - College Station, TX
40T. Arizona - Tucson, AZ
40T. Colorado - Boulder, CO
40T. Utah - Salt Lake City
40T. Virginia Tech - Blacksburg, VA
40T. Washington University - St. Louis - St. Louis
48T. Arizona State - Tempe, AZ
48T. Boston University - Boston
48T. North Carolina State - Raleigh
48T. Florida - Gainesville, FL
52T. Indiana - Bloomington, IN
52T. RPI - Troy, NY
52T. University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh, PA
52T. University of Rochester - Rochester, NY
56T. Michigan State - East Lansing, MI
56T. UC-Riverside - Riverside, CA
56T. UC-Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz, CA
56T. Vanderbilt - Nashville
60T. Northeastern - Boston
60T. Illinois-Chicago - Chicago
60T. Notre Dame - Notre Dame, IN
63T. Iowa State - Ames, IA
63T. SUNY-Buffalo - Buffalo
63T. University of Iowa - Iowa City, IA
63T. Oregon - Eugene, OR
67T. George Mason - Fairfax, VA
67T. Oregon State - Corvallis, OR
67T. Syracuse - Syracuse, NY
70T. Case Western - Cleveland
70T. William & Mary - Williamsburg, VA
70T. Colorado State - Fort Collins, CO
70T. Naval Post Graduate School - Monterrey, CA
70T. NYU-Brooklyn - NYC
70T. Tufts - Medford, MA
70T. Delaware - Newark, DE
70T. Maryland-Baltimore County - Baltimore
70T. Tennessee-Knoxville - Knoxville
70T. Texas-Dallas - Richardson, TX
70T. Washington State - Pullman, WA
82T. Brandeis - Waltham, MA
82T. Clemson - Clemson, SC
82T. CUNY Graduate School and University Center - NYC
82T. Florida State - Tallahassee, FL
82T. George Washington - Washington DC
82T. UConn - Storrs, CT
82T. Kansas - Lawrence, KS
82T. New Mexico - Albuquerque
90T. Auburn - Auburn, AL
90T. BYU - Provo, UT
90T. Drexel - Philadelphia
90T. Kansas State - Manhattan, KS
90T. NJIT - Newark, NJ
90T. Oregon Health and Science University - Portland
90T. Central Florida - Orlando
90T. Georgia - Athens, GA
90T. Kentucky - Lexington, KY
90T. Texas-Arlington - Arlington, TX
90T. Worcester Polytechnic Institute - Worcester, MA

9 of the top 50 schools here are in the midwest versus 13 for the northeast versus 2 for Texas and the states around it versus 7 for Georgia/Carolinas/Virginia/Florida. The Midwest has 18 schools in the top 100 here versus 26 for the Northeast. Also keep in mind that the distance from Chicago to Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon, University of Pittsburgh) is only about 90 miles more than the distance from Pittsburgh to NYC.

For top engineering programs, 5 of the top 25 schools are in the midwest versus 6 for the Northeast. When you go to the top 100, the midwest is represented by 20 schools.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:52 AM

^^^ Which is even sillier considering how many aldermen want to further reduce existing zoning entitlements. They have some sort of twisted logic where less housing will somehow decrease rents...

Meanwhile Berrios is behind the velvet curtain beating our favorite baby seal over the head with a lead filled snowshoe. Gotta stick it to the poor people while telling them you are championing them, it's the Crook County Democratic machine way!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:23 PM
BANNED

The solution is really really big 80/20 developments next to each 'L' stop. Then poor communities aren't displaced, capitalists are making money, the neighborhood is diverse, and people actually on foot getting to know their neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
The solution is really really big 80/20 developments next to each 'L' stop. Then poor communities aren't displaced, capitalists are making money, the neighborhood is diverse, and people actually on foot getting to know their neighborhood.
Agree except the asinine 80/20 nonsense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest