HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I think all bridge houses would need massive approval figuring they will eventually re-do the north/south riverwalk down to roosevelt/ chinatown hoepfully.
If you look closely the river walk doesn't touch the bridges or bridge houses - close but not touching.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWaschbär View Post
Yeah, nudge it into the barge.
How about repair it and save it? Preservation? We need a little of that too...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:50 PM
Urbane observer

From today's Tribune:

In unusual compromise, Wacker tower to incorporate building's stainless steel facade

A 51-story office tower will replace Morton Salt’s former headquarters on Wacker Drive, but the squat structure’s stainless steel panels — a key feature of the five-story building’s Mid-Century Modern architecture — will live on after demolition.
The quirky deal with the federal agency and the Illinois State Historic Preservation Office, confirmed by Riverside, allows the developers to begin demolition immediately, and start construction of the riverfront tower by the spring.
Developers agreed to repurpose the Morton Salt building’s stainless steel panels on the new building’s terrace and dock levels, said Tony Scacco, executive vice president at Riverside. Scacco said the specific design has not been completed.

“The plan is to utilize them in a way that’s prominently displayed down at the river level,” Scacco said. “One of the goals is to preserve the past while integrating it into the context of the new design.”
Also as part of the compromise, the developers will commission a study of the building’s architecture that will become part of the research collection at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield and at the Art Institute of Chicago, Scacco said.

Sometime in the next year, the developers will also sponsor a public education seminar on midcentury modern architecture in Chicago, Scacco said.

Full column.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:58 PM

770’-5” is the height I was told by a source.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:01 PM

I was told they were not going to salvage the limestone - except for the original Morton Salt logo - currently under the General Growth sign.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:39 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
From today's Tribune:

In unusual compromise, Wacker tower to incorporate building's stainless steel facade

A 51-story office tower will replace Morton Salt’s former headquarters on Wacker Drive, but the squat structure’s stainless steel panels — a key feature of the five-story building’s Mid-Century Modern architecture — will live on after demolition.
The quirky deal with the federal agency and the Illinois State Historic Preservation Office, confirmed by Riverside, allows the developers to begin demolition immediately, and start construction of the riverfront tower by the spring.
Developers agreed to repurpose the Morton Salt building’s stainless steel panels on the new building’s terrace and dock levels, said Tony Scacco, executive vice president at Riverside. Scacco said the specific design has not been completed.

“The plan is to utilize them in a way that’s prominently displayed down at the river level,” Scacco said. “One of the goals is to preserve the past while integrating it into the context of the new design.”
Also as part of the compromise, the developers will commission a study of the building’s architecture that will become part of the research collection at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield and at the Art Institute of Chicago, Scacco said.

Sometime in the next year, the developers will also sponsor a public education seminar on midcentury modern architecture in Chicago, Scacco said.

Full column.
Really? All this trouble for that POS? This city has demolished absolute gems with nothing of a second thought given to them *cough* Chicago Mercantile Exchange Building *cough* and somehow this building is important enough to warrant preservation and incorporation in the new building?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:29 PM

Today's update. A little later on, most of the north, east, and south sides of the building were mostly covered in scaffolding. River side was unchanged as of lunchtime.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:49 PM

Who cares if letting them rummage through a bunch of garbage for a couple months gets us a kickass scraper, just let them do their thing. We wont even remember them doing this when the drills drop.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:18 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I'm cool with the trade-off. I can imagine if implemented right the panels could give a vintage contrast to the rest of the site that could make it interesting.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:24 PM

They would make great pavers for a park somewhere. Send em to my house i will make a new deck out of them!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
They would make great pavers for a park somewhere. Send em to my house i will make a new deck out of them!
Limestone really does not do well as a paving surface, especially in a high traffic public space. Particularly it doesn't hold up well to road salt and ponding water.

The reason why the preservationists extorted a little bit of something out of this was because they could. When 110 was first announced, Preservation Chicago actually said that they weren't going to get involved since there were more important battles to fight (like saving the Union Station Powerhouse). As soon as the federal review process kicked off there was an opening to try to save a little bit of history. Back when the Chicago Mercantile Exchange was demolished there was no process in place for saving it. Hence why the demolition delay ordinance was created soon after. I'm sure some of the same people involved in this one were around fighting for that one too. But once the demolition permit was issued, there wasn't much that could be done.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:55 PM
Urbane observer

^Exactly. Preservationists have to first get in the room before they can do anything. As with the Lucas Museum fight, sometimes leverage comes from unexpected sources, whether it's Section 106 review or the Public Trust Doctrine.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Really? All this trouble for that POS? This city has demolished absolute gems with nothing of a second thought given to them *cough* Chicago Mercantile Exchange Building *cough* and somehow this building is important enough to warrant preservation and incorporation in the new building?

Goodness! All they are doing is saving pieces of the stainless steel facade. "...The plan is to utilize them in a way that’s prominently displayed down at the river level,...” Sounds like an excellent idea and good architects will be able to create something special. Great!

I've never understood the hate for this building. I've always thought it handsome. Not earthshaking, but a solid effort, with nice lines and great detailing. The original entrance canopy was much more refined than what is there now and the clunky General Growth sign covers the old name chiseled into the stone - M O R T O N - I am glad that it is being studied. How many quality buildings from this era do we have left? Not many.

Just because it was a travesty that the Chicago Mercantile building was torn down (I protested outside before it's destruction), doesn't mean buildings such as the Morton Salt should be bulldozed without any thought. Fortunately, thought was given to it; and now, parts of the building will be saved, it's design and construction will be studied (ala Home Insurance tear down in 1931), and a handsome new skyscraper will rise in it's place!

Win-Win

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:20 AM

Jan 26

Safety first

The climbing scaffolding is sitting on top of a bridge - easy to forget

The cladding to be saved and re-used

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 2:38 PM

01/22/18

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:14 AM

Today's update from the girlfriend includes an excavator on the roof and a few bobcats being put on at least floors 2 and 3.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:45 AM
Chicago

January 31, 2018

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:49 PM
BANNED

I'm really gonna miss those mid-century panels along the river, worth a facadectomy IMO.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I'm really gonna miss those mid-century panels along the river, worth a facadectomy IMO.
Well you are in luck then since they are salvaging the stainless panels and reusing them on the new riverwalk.

This building was a nice building, but totally out of place on Wacker Drive. Had it been 4 or 5 blocks West of here it would have been worth saving. Unfortunately, despite its coolness, it's a massive under utilization of space. I'm glad they are saving the "MORTON" stone and steel panels though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Well you are in luck then since they are salvaging the stainless panels and reusing them on the new riverwalk.

This building was a nice building, but totally out of place on Wacker Drive. Had it been 4 or 5 blocks West of here it would have been worth saving. Unfortunately, despite its coolness, it's a massive under utilization of space. I'm glad they are saving the "MORTON" stone and steel panels though.
Oh that's good news. I mean, yeah, it had to go, but I'd still prefer a facadectomy. The city's losing too much of its character.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive