HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 3:33 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
honestly, thom mayne is a bit sophistic (and hollow) for my taste. could care less about his pritzker. have you heard him bumble on about nonsense for 45 minutes? please youtube a couple of his "lectures". what a total douche. all he does is decorate rectangular buildings with loads of angularly situated perforated metal. like gehry and other shallow la architects, he decorates sheds, with little concern for spatial substance or urbanism, considerations which are of untmost concern in public architecture (particularly transportation architecture)

and have you seen eom's tower in culver city? looks like steel cups stacked upon each other. LA is really good at architectural gimmickry masquerading as sculpture I'll give it that much - thanks to gehry for starting this tradition of pretending architects are visual artists. i'd like to see either of them take a stab at truly functional transportation architecture. Give me someone more grounded like scofidio renfro any day of the week. at least they wont fuck things up in order to serve their overblown egos.

Yeah, LA architecture was the hip deal for a brief minute in the mid 90s when everyone else also sucked. it's now 2012 and a lot has changed.
White a lot of the devonstructionivism architects are extremely subjective, you have to admit that it's cool that L.A. was so influential in the creation of a new architectural style. And L.A. does have some great architects that aren't also 'starchitects'. Look up Koning Eizenberg, for example.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 1:56 PM

Congress set to OK bill that would help fund L.A. transit projects (LA Times)

Congress set to OK bill that would help fund L.A. transit projects
The proposed measure includes Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's 'America Fast Forward' initiative to speed expansion of the region's transit system.

"Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa speaks during a news conference at the Culver City Expo Line station last week." (Patrick T. Fallon / Los Angeles Times / June 20, 2012)

By Richard Simon and Ari Bloomekatz
Los Angeles Times
June 28, 2012

"As he seeks to build a legacy as a big-project transportation mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa on Thursday made gains at home and in Washington in his efforts to speed expansion of the Los Angeles region's transit system.

Congress is expected as early as Friday to approve a long-awaited transportation bill that includes a measure sought by Villaraigosa during at least two years of lobbying federal officials.

The bill would expand a federal loan program that could provide the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority with at least $350 million over the next two years and $3.3 billion more in the future for transit projects..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7805527.story

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 3:41 PM
Ascension

I think Antonio Villaraigosa has cemented his legacy as one of the best mayors in LA history. Or at least the best since Tom Bradley.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:52 PM
BANNED

It will be interesting to see how the vote to extend the sales tax goes. Leaving aside what DC has to say about funding LA's requests for money (mostly "no"), the local residents now get to vote on MTA's and Mayor V's proposals and, in effect, performance.

I guess the issues are going to be delays and cost over-runs on lines (the Times has covered this in some depth), building-out of useless lines (sorry, everybody knows they are purely political); and confusion: people asking "I thought I paid for this already?" when they are told that there is no Purple Line to SM or connection to Hollywood or 405 project unless you vote for MORE taxes through 2070 (so that we can borrow against them now and keep paying interest AND taxes for 57 years).

Another issue for the voters is going to be the possibility of federal loans: getting both federal loans and loans against future tax revenues seems to result in even more work done now that our grandchildren (and great-grandchildren) will get the bill for. This may break through even the voters' irresponsibility limits.

Any polls out yet?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:00 PM

Toll roads to lay off attendants, stop taking cash (Daily Pilot)

The hacks/shills at Reason Foundation and Cato (and Republicans in general) tell us that only transit and bike-sharing is unprofitable and that if only we privatized oiur roads, our transportation system would be fine.

Toll roads to lay off attendants, stop taking cash
As part of money-saving measures, a fee increase is also planned for the San Joaquin Hills (73) and other routes.

"The toll plaza on the San Joaquin Hills (73) Toll Road, between MacArthur and Laguna Canyon Road. The Transportation Corridor Agencies, which run the toll roads, plan to eliminate cash payments and toll booth jobs as part of cost-saving measures." (DON LEACH, Daily Pilot / June 28, 2012)

By Mike Reicher
Daily Pilot
June 28, 2012

"The Transportation Corridor Agencies plan to eliminate cash payments and toll booth jobs as they try to squeeze more out of their financially strapped highways.

The San Joaquin Hills (73) and other county toll roads will phase out cash payments over 16 months, beginning this summer.

In addition, a new toll rate hike takes effect Sunday. Cash tolls will increase by 50 cents on the 73 at the Catalina View Toll Plaza, and 25 cents at the Aliso Creek, El Toro, Newport Coast and Bonita Canyon ramp toll plazas..."

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/tn-dp...,7236474.story

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 3:11 AM

Good news for the 30/10 initiative.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...161494795.html

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Sen. Barbara Boxer Praise Federal Transportation Bill

By Fallon Okwuosa
Thursday, Jul 5, 2012

"Instead of waiting 30 years for improved transportation systems, LA commuters can put their hope in a federal transportation bill that was praised by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Sen. Barbara Boxer Thursday and is expected to complete 12 transportation projects in 10 years.

President Barack Obama is expected to sign the bill Friday."

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 1:38 PM

Very exciting news for LA! Happy to hear they'll be able to speed up construction & completion of these projects, especially the purple line expansion to Westwood. Hopefully lawsuits from Beverly Hills over the Century City station placement won't hold things up too much so that they're still able to get the line built and open within 10 years.

Regarding the vote this November to extend Measure R, has the MTA provided much detail on additional projects such an extension will support? Is there any definite word on whether rail transit will be expanded to include West Hollywood?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 4:01 PM

A lot of credit has to go to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. For some reason, he's hated on just because of his divorces and getting free tickets to games. But in the end, Antonio cut down the LADWP rates, tried take over the LAUSD (which would have been a good thing, like NY did), overturned the federal subway drilling ban and got funding for a subway. He's also whole heartedly supported cicLAvia and we had more bike lane expansion under Antonio than any other previous Mayor.

Antonio may not be loved today (for dumb reasons), but in the end, he'll be considered one of the most transformational figures for LA since Mayor Bradley. He's done a very good job. Before Antonio was in office, subways were illegal in LA and funding was not available. Both those objectives have been fulfilled when he leaves office. Anybody else come over those type of obstacles?

If any poltician deserves a station named after them today, it's Antonio. We should really push to have Wilshire/La Brea Purple Line station named in his honor.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 2:52 AM
Paramoderator

Antonio is a mixed bag. On one hand, he has done incredible, incredible things concerning transportation. On the other hand, Los Angeles is not a business friendly city and Antonio is doing nothing to change that, and in some ways is making that aspect worse. Like I said, mixed bag.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:02 PM

dont know if this has been posted. I do like the trunk only lanes. I find them very danger and avoid driving next to big rigs... but on the 60 that seems near impossible

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...fic&id=8720971

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
If any poltician deserves a station named after them today, it's Antonio. We should really push to have Wilshire/La Brea Purple Line station named in his honor.
im not the biggest anvil fan, but im willing to admit that he's done a ton for transportation. if any station should be named after him, it should be one of the boyle heights stations.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnatural85 View Post
dont know if this has been posted. I do like the trunk only lanes. I find them very danger and avoid driving next to big rigs... but on the 60 that seems near impossible

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...fic&id=8720971
Whoa! They getting more new highway, huh? It's getting more extremely overcrowded who went on Expressway. Too many cars & trunks! There is no way to get through during rush-hours traffic. I don't think it's possible. I wasn't aware of it. Too many people who want go to work, school, and etc. They will have to fixed the congestion.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAofAnaheim View Post
A lot of credit has to go to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. For some reason, he's hated on just because of his divorces and getting free tickets to games. But in the end, Antonio cut down the LADWP rates, tried take over the LAUSD (which would have been a good thing, like NY did), overturned the federal subway drilling ban and got funding for a subway. He's also whole heartedly supported cicLAvia and we had more bike lane expansion under Antonio than any other previous Mayor.

Antonio may not be loved today (for dumb reasons), but in the end, he'll be considered one of the most transformational figures for LA since Mayor Bradley. He's done a very good job. Before Antonio was in office, subways were illegal in LA and funding was not available. Both those objectives have been fulfilled when he leaves office. Anybody else come over those type of obstacles?

Actually, he's hated on because he's incompetent. Lack of budget control, sell-out on the schools when there was a real opportunity for improvement, terrible roads and city services, continued business flight due to mind-numbing regulations and taxes.

Much of his transit spending is largely useless. Even Purple, which is desirable, he wanted to build now and stick some later sucker with the bills to pay for it for 30 years. A complete litany of "old school" mismangement of public trust; the kind that leaves cities hamstrung for decades.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Much of his transit spending is largely useless. Even Purple, which is desirable, he wanted to build now and stick some later sucker with the bills to pay for it for 30 years. A complete litany of "old school" mismangement of public trust; the kind that leaves cities hamstrung for decades.
I am honestly confused as to why you wouldn't want to borrow money now to build public transportation resources that will be used for decades to come. Interest rates are low today, and the cost to build something TODAY will be much lower than what it will be in the future.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I am honestly confused as to why you wouldn't want to borrow money now to build public transportation resources that will be used for decades to come. Interest rates are low today, and the cost to build something TODAY will be much lower than what it will be in the future.
I am confused to. It's not like the Republicans in Congress didn't try to cut the already under-funded New Starts program by nearly thirty percent. As pesto always likes to point out, the state of California is broke. With Congress unwilling to help with anything except for tax loopholes for billionaires and oil companies and with the state unable to help, borrowing against future tax revenue to accelerate construction of a project when there is high unemployment makes significant sense.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Actually, he's hated on because he's incompetent. Lack of budget control, sell-out on the schools when there was a real opportunity for improvement, terrible roads and city services, continued business flight due to mind-numbing regulations and taxes.

Wow, that's a very rude description of the man who single handedly got subways legal in LA again and funded.

Lack of budget control? Name a large city in the world that had no budget problem during the recession.

Sell out on schools? He was trying to model after NY which took over the school district and now has excelled but LAUSD won't allow it.

'Old school management' is when you want to build something and BORROW money to pay for it. Measure R has $4.1 billion for the Purple Line. Other 'old school people' try to find invisible money, Antonio actually has money.

BTW, you should research as to why the Waxman overturned the federal subway drilling ban. Do you remember Antonio's first initiave in 2005? Why was the Methane Gas Commission studied?

Anotonio supported cicLAvia and that's why its now the largest citywide event in Los Angeles and most popuar bringing over 100,000 people to enjoy the city. We had more bike lanes painted under Antonio than any other Mayor in LA.

He's a transformational mayor who will be remembered best for expanding alternative transportation in Los Angeles.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:17 PM

Big passenger rail news for Southern California this weekend...

Who'd have thought public intoxication would be a problem at this event? This is one activity that it seems like the more you drink, the better you get.

'Mooning of the Amtrak' is set for Saturday

Orange County Register
By By CLAUDIA KOERNER
July 9, 2012

"In 2011, the mooning of the Amtrak continued for the 32nd year outside Mugs Away Saloon on Camino Capistrano in Laguna Niguel." (Image courtesy of the Orange County Register)

"LAGUNA NIGUEL – Train passengers can expect an eyeful Saturday as bare bottoms converge along the tracks at Camino Capistrano for the annual Mooning of the Amtrak.

In recent years, the rowdy atmosphere surrounding the event has quieted down with an increased police presence, parking restrictions and ordinances against urination, defecation and drinking alcohol in public.

In 2008, the 30-year tradition swelled to close to 10,000 revelers. Police shut down the event that year after witnessing public sex acts as well as urination and defecation. The following year, with new ordinances and more law enforcement, attendance dropped to about 1,000. Last year, a steady stream of mooners could still be found outside Mugs Away Saloon, though crowds didn't reach more than 50 at any given time..."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/year-...ning-down.html

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 9:16 PM
BANNED

pesto's priorities are all backwards. that's okay though because time will prove him wrong. thank heavens he's not a local politician.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 4:03 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
pesto's priorities are all backwards. that's okay though because time will prove him wrong. thank heavens he's not a local politician.
Amen. He actually argued with me once that Walmarts are GOOD for local economies.

I like the idea of truck only lanes. Looking forward to diagrams and more information on the project.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Why would I not sell my pension for the next 30 years to use something that I need now? Because I don't know the future but can reasonably expect that there will be needs, shortfalls, emergencies, etc., sometime in the next 30 years. In effect, the city is dedicating future taxes for 30 years to pay-off the debt AND to maintain the system AND to subsidize operating losses.

More generally, it's funny how "government think" turns low interest rates and prices into an "opportunity" to borrow and spend like a fiend, regardless of budget constraints. This ignores that there is a reason that rates and prices are low: business professionals have reviewed the current situation and determined that the returns on investment don't warrant borrowing or building. This shouldn't be a signal to borrow and spend freely, but a signal to review your projects carefully to see if they make sense in a slow-growth world, and to build reserves. Or at least that's what pretty much every company and lender that I am aware of is doing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation