HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:22 PM
Martian

^^^

Wow, thank you so much, that looks great. I agree about building subway to west hollywood, you mean branching off at highland/hollywood and continuing west, correct? It would make a lot of sense, west hollywood is one of the densest most walkable places in LA, after all of those lines are built it would remain as the most urban place in the city not served by rail. Well it and Venice but I don't even know how they can extend rail to venice or if anyone is even thinking about that right now.

I would also like to see the Crenshaw line extended north to Wilshire, it makes no sense to have that whole line and have it not connect to Wilshire and the rest of the west side directly without having to go thru downtown. It would make a lot more sense for people taking the line from the airport.

I would also love to see the line in the valley converted to rail and possibly extended east to Burbank and Glendale, but that's probably not gonna happen.

I gotta say though, when all of this is built, I think taking transit in LA will finally be a truly viable option for "normal" people. You'll be able to visit downtown, hollywood, westwood, century city, DT santa monica, culver city, DT pasadena, dense beach cities in south bay, long beach AND have direct rail access to LAX and union station. Oh and Universal Studios. That covers a huge chunk of the most visited places in LA. Feels good to list them. I can't wait. But I am not holding my breath haha

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:23 PM

actually all of the suggestions that you have are in the long range plans! If 30/10 becomes a reality, those ideas can be implemented before we die lol

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:36 PM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

A couple of questions:

Is the subway plan sill going to extend all the way to Santa Monica, or did that get scraped?  Does this mean that the subway extension is going to be stuck going as far as UCLA/Westwood?

Anyone one know anything about the high speed rail plans, and if they are going to actually happen in LA or in California, at all?  And the LA Union station plans seem unrealistic, please tell me those recent renders were just for fun.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Last edited by OneMetropolis; May 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
A couple of questions:

Is the subway plan sill going to extend all the way to Santa Monica, or did that get scraped?  Does this mean that the subway extension is going to be stuck going as far as UCLA/Westwood?

Anyway one know anything about the high speed rail plans, and if they are going to actually happen in LA or in California, at all?  And the LA Union station plans seem unrealistic, please tell me those recent renders were just for fun.
I believe the subway to Santa Monica is still in the long range plans but its relationship with Metro is "we think this is a good idea and if we got all these other projects done, and had more money we would build it" kind of thing. So its on the radar, just dont expect it till a bunch of less worthy things get built. Personally, I would sacrafice it if it meant more money for a 405 corridor rail project.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:21 PM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

^^^ makes sense, and if that 30/10 plan works out it might have a higher priority.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
A couple of questions:

Anyone one know anything about the high speed rail plans, and if they are going to actually happen in LA or in California, at all?  And the LA Union station plans seem unrealistic, please tell me those recent renders were just for fun.
First we have to get through the Measure R projects (Purple Line to Westwood, Crenshaw Line, Eastside Extension of Gold Line, SFV Corridor, etc...). AFTER all those are done, then we go to next round of projects. Top priority would be the Purple Line to Santa Monica, northern extension of Crenshaw Line to Hollywood/Highland/Hollywood Bowl, Green Line to Norwalk, Vermont Corridor rail, etc...

If we have more political will, we can expedite projects faster. Before Antonio Villairaigosa in 2005, we had only $4 billion projected over 30 years for Expo Line and Crenshaw Line only (Prop A and C returns). Now, we have 10 transit projects that WILL be completed in 30 years (even if 30/10 doesn't pan out) thanks to Antonio and his push of Measure R. (oh and his overturning of the federal subway drilling ban, but people forget that).

If Measure R+ passes, I'm sure we'll be hearing more about Gold Line to Montclair, Crenshaw North extension, Green line to LAX, etc... b/c then we have guaranteed future revenues. Right now, the 30 year sunset provision of Measure R maxes out what we can earn.

If you get the right political presence, things can move faster. I tell you, when Antonio leaves office..........people will then understand how lucky we had a transit mayor in Antonio. It all takes political will...and Antonio did a great job with transit in LA (remember, he commissioned the study to overturn the federal subway drilling ban; an issue untouched by previous mayor). If little political presence, then its up to grassroots movements, which take slower for things to happen.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:05 PM
Martian

So when will we know if the 30/10 plan can be implemented? My understanding is that congressional action is required for it to work. So when are they voting on it?

Also, this may be kind of a dumb comment, but can't they just have another referendum to increase transit funds even more, maybe include it with the November presidential election. Seems LA is on a transit roll and people are responding very well to the changes, so why not give even more money to transit while this mayor is still in office. Heck, measure R raised taxes by one half of one penny. Make it a penny and get this done twice as fast and get to more projects.

This reminds me of the NASA budget which is also half a penny on the federal tax dollar. There's a movement called a penny for NASA, mostly supported by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, aimed at doubling the budget to a penny and getting projects scheduled for completion in 10+ years done quicker. LA could have something similar.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:53 PM
TL;DR

Enough pennies and soon you're paying quite a bit more in taxes at every turn.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
^^^

Wow, thank you so much, that looks great. I agree about building subway to west hollywood, you mean branching off at highland/hollywood and continuing west, correct? It would make a lot of sense, west hollywood is one of the densest most walkable places in LA, after all of those lines are built it would remain as the most urban place in the city not served by rail. Well it and Venice but I don't even know how they can extend rail to venice or if anyone is even thinking about that right now.

I would also like to see the Crenshaw line extended north to Wilshire, it makes no sense to have that whole line and have it not connect to Wilshire and the rest of the west side directly without having to go thru downtown. It would make a lot more sense for people taking the line from the airport.

I would also love to see the line in the valley converted to rail and possibly extended east to Burbank and Glendale, but that's probably not gonna happen.

I gotta say though, when all of this is built, I think taking transit in LA will finally be a truly viable option for "normal" people. You'll be able to visit downtown, hollywood, westwood, century city, DT santa monica, culver city, DT pasadena, dense beach cities in south bay, long beach AND have direct rail access to LAX and union station. Oh and Universal Studios. That covers a huge chunk of the most visited places in LA. Feels good to list them. I can't wait. But I am not holding my breath haha

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...s-Plan-Map.jpg

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
So when will we know if the 30/10 plan can be implemented? My understanding is that congressional action is required for it to work. So when are they voting on it?

Also, this may be kind of a dumb comment, but can't they just have another referendum to increase transit funds even more, maybe include it with the November presidential election. Seems LA is on a transit roll and people are responding very well to the changes, so why not give even more money to transit while this mayor is still in office. Heck, measure R raised taxes by one half of one penny. Make it a penny and get this done twice as fast and get to more projects.

This reminds me of the NASA budget which is also half a penny on the federal tax dollar. There's a movement called a penny for NASA, mostly supported by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, aimed at doubling the budget to a penny and getting projects scheduled for completion in 10+ years done quicker. LA could have something similar.
Credit to Antonio for trying......but it's not going to happen. We've been following 30/10 since 2009, the Tea Party Congress has not moved forward on it.

So............now we're going with Measure R+ on the November ballot. Which means a vote to lift the sunset provision of Measure R so the half cent sales tax we passed in 2008 continues indefinitely. Check out Metro's The Source, it's been following this vey closely.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Enough pennies and soon you're paying quite a bit more in taxes at every turn.
Yes, but when a 1/2 cent sales tax only cost you $25/year and in return you get an expanded transit network. Saving one tank of gas is like $50...........so isn't it wiser to spend on infrastructure than not?

"5. What would be the yearly cost to individuals here in LA County?
The private nonprofit Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) estimates that the tax increase would cost each resident an average of $25 per person annually.

"

Per http://www.metro.net/projects/measurer/

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 1:53 AM

Quote:
A couple of questions:

It'll happen eventually. But west of the VA station is considered "Phase IV" and remains unfunded. I have a feeling though that it'll be a high priority post-30/10.

Quote:
Actually, that is pretty much exactly what they were. Metro even said so.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Well i think it will come up the next time congress debates on the transportation bill, which should be some time late next month. Like LAofAnaheim, though, i'm not optimistic.

Quote:
In this economy, a Measure "R2" is not an option to voters. But I do think they'll change their mind in 2016 when the economy should/could be much better shape. For now, we are left with Measure "R+".

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 7:03 PM

Hello, today it has been two weeks since they opened the Expo Line. I was wondering how has it worked so far?
How has been the patronage? It has been widely used or not so much?

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Hello, today it has been two weeks since they opened the Expo Line. I was wondering how has it worked so far?
How has been the patronage? It has been widely used or not so much?
Well on opening day 44,000 used it. And County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky has estimated the daily ridership so far at 9,000. However, considering that 2 stations have yet to open, and it's only been less than a couple weeks since it's opening (not to mention that inevitabely not everyone has heard of the line), i'd take those estimates with a grain of salt when projecting future ridership... which is expected to be around 27,000 daily to Culver City, with 64,000 once opened to Santa Monica. Personally I think it's quite possible it'll surpass the Blue Line once complete.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Well on opening day 44,000 used it. And County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky has estimated the daily ridership so far at 9,000. However, considering that 2 stations have yet to open, and it's only been less than a couple weeks since it's opening (not to mention that inevitabely not everyone has heard of the line), i'd take those estimates with a grain of salt when projecting future ridership... which is expected to be around 27,000 daily to Culver City, with 64,000 once opened to Santa Monica. Personally I think it's quite possible it'll surpass the Blue Line once complete.
I have great hopes for Expo being a real workhorse as well. There are several "destinations" along the route and density should seriously increase.

But a more complete answer is that there have been lots of delays and stoppages so far. Hopefully all worked out by this weekend, when I'll take my first ride.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I have great hopes for Expo being a real workhorse as well. There are several "destinations" along the route and density should seriously increase.

But a more complete answer is that there have been lots of delays and stoppages so far. Hopefully all worked out by this weekend, when I'll take my first ride.
I tried it on opening day, but will using it tomorrow for the first time for work (office is at Wilshire/Western, meeting at USC). Hoping Metro gets me there is a reasonable amount of time!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 10:16 PM

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:28 AM

The LADOT Bike Blog has a nice new post detailing a number of bike lane projects that will be hitting downtown in the next year or so. I think the biggest issue with the city's current bike lanes is that most of them are isolated and unconnected with one another. If LADOT can keep it up, the new downtown lanes should be the city's first true network of bike infrastructure, much greater than the sum of its parts.

Source: http://ladotbikeblog.wordpress.com/2...ork/#more-7294

Downtown L.A. Bikeway Network par LADOT Bike Blog, sur Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
BANNED

the more i look at it the more i feel the need for red at h/h to meet up with purple on wilshire. the 405 line is a no-brainer and i may be getting way ahead of myself but the next logical step would be an extension to lax down sepulveda. the system would be incomplete without either of those, even with subway to the sea. i envision the westwood/ucla or VA station (whichever the 405 lines stops at) to rival union station as a major transfer hub for the westside, and renewed interest put into the intensive commerical development of the vast VA grounds

one can only dream.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation