HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I lived in Culver City for 2 years and it's awesome already. It's walkable, clean, safe, and very very lively. It's about as close as urban as you are going to get from a city in LA not named Hollywood, downtown, etc.

The Expo Line will only greatly add to that.
Downtown Culver City is decent but it has more of medium size town feel to it. I could name a lot more places that are much more urban such as Westwoold, Miricle Mile, Koreatown, and West Hollywood.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:28 PM

Los Angeles looks at ways to avoid displacement near transit

June 2012

Read More: http://bettercities.net/article/los-...-transit-18266

Quote:

In the city, “nearly 15,000 income-restricted units have covenants, rental assistance contracts, mortgages, or other time-limited affordability requirements that will expire or are at risk of being terminated between 2012 and 2017,” the report points out. Low-income tenants “could face an economically untenable choice” if the rent restrictions aren’t renewed, the report warns: stay and pay burdensome rents or move to areas where transit service is more sparse.

- Moving away from rapid transit could be self-defeating, the report says, because “Los Angeles has one of the highest average transportation costs in the country,” with the average family spending 28 percent of its income on transportation. To begin to avert displacement, Reconnecting America and the Housing Department have chosen four transit-oriented districts for housing preservation activities, which will be introduced over the next five years. The four were chosen because they all have “a high share of low income renters, a strengthening real estate market, and rich transit connectivity,” the report says. The four contain about 160,000 properties regulated through the City’s rent stabilization program—about a quarter of all the rent-stabilized apartments citywide. The districts are seen as pilot locations for strategies that could be introduced elsewhere in future years.

The instruments that will be used to keep housing affordable are yet to be fully identified. Among the techniques under consideration are these:

• Acquiring key properties for long-term preservation and development.

• Coordinating existing tools that can be used to keep buildings intact and reasonably priced.

• Anticipating the behavior of property owners and aiming outreach and enforcement activities at owners and tenants.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:40 AM
BANNED

good news about union station - a partnership between uk's grimshaw and locally based gruen was selected to master plan 6 million square feet of entitlements at union station. i'm not so excited about gruen's work (see expo line) as i am with grimshaw, who were behind melbourne's southern cross station and london's international terminal (waterloo station).

why do la architects suck so much? thank god full license wasn't given to jerde or some other local firm that would turn it into a tacky postmodern shopping mall as only an angeleno firm can do

i've only seen one pie in the sky vision, but no concrete renderings as of yet.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:55 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
why do la architects suck so much?
Actually, when someone says “LA Architect” the first names that would come to my mind would be Thom Mayne or Eric Owen Moss, neither of whom I’d classify as “suck.”

Of course, if you mentioned a “Chicago architect” my first reaction would be to apologize for the South Loop.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:30 PM
BANNED

honestly, thom mayne is a bit sophistic (and hollow) for my taste. could care less about his pritzker. have you heard him bumble on about nonsense for 45 minutes? please youtube a couple of his "lectures". what a total douche. all he does is decorate rectangular buildings with loads of angularly situated perforated metal. like gehry and other shallow la architects, he decorates sheds, with little concern for spatial substance or urbanism, considerations which are of untmost concern in public architecture (particularly transportation architecture)

and have you seen eom's tower in culver city? looks like steel cups stacked upon each other. LA is really good at architectural gimmickry masquerading as sculpture I'll give it that much - thanks to gehry for starting this tradition of pretending architects are visual artists. i'd like to see either of them take a stab at truly functional transportation architecture. Give me someone more grounded like scofidio renfro any day of the week. at least they wont fuck things up in order to serve their overblown egos.

Yeah, LA architecture was the hip deal for a brief minute in the mid 90s when everyone else also sucked. it's now 2012 and a lot has changed.

Last edited by edluva; Jun 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

^****!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:29 PM

Expo Line Opens Two More Stations Yesterday

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2147684.story

Farmdale Station opened, as well as the 0.7 mile extension to Culver City...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan View Post
Actually, when someone says “LA Architect” the first names that would come to my mind would be Thom Mayne or Eric Owen Moss, neither of whom I’d classify as “suck.”

Of course, if you mentioned a “Chicago architect” my first reaction would be to apologize for the South Loop.
Interestingly, I went to a party in Berkeley for summer solstice and it was mostly SF based architects. They talked about the strength of the LA achitects and the difficulty of winning commissions because of the powerhouses down there.

btw, no mention of Gehry? You know, the man called "the leading architect of his generation" and basically worshipped by every professional architect who has ever commented on him?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:51 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Expo Line Opens Two More Stations Yesterday

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2147684.story

Farmdale Station opened, as well as the 0.7 mile extension to Culver City...
Have any forumers used these stations yet? Or if you're using other parts of the line, does it seem a little bit busier now that Culver City is opened?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:58 PM
Ascension

I went on it yesterday. It wasn't busy (it was Sunday after all) but it does feel like a complete line. It also seems as though they finally have figured out the junction with the Blue Line as the Expo Line breezed right on by.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
I went on it yesterday. It wasn't busy (it was Sunday after all) but it does feel like a complete line. It also seems as though they finally have figured out the junction with the Blue Line as the Expo Line breezed right on by.
Did you walk over to downtown Culver City, or is there a direct bus line at the station to take you over to the area?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 2:02 PM

I read there's a 39-story tower about to go up at Avenue of the Stars and Santa Monica Blvd next to the Century City Mall - so Beverly Hills will likely be pointing to that as a reason the Century City station can be safely built there.

I think the worst case scenario is the Purple Line getting extended only to Fairfax, which would suck - but if BH has their way, this might end up happening.

On a semi-related note: Orange Line opens to Chatsworth on Saturday.

Last edited by K 22; Jun 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM. Reason: Add link to story

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I read there's a 39-story tower about to go up at Avenue of the Stars and Santa Monica Blvd next to the Century City Mall - so Beverly Hills will likely be pointing to that as a reason the Century City station can be safely built there.

I think the worst case scenario is the Purple Line getting extended only to Fairfax, which would suck - but if BH has their way, this might end up happening.

On a semi-related note: Orange Line opens to Chatsworth on Saturday.
If this goes to litigation it will be interesting to see the "experts" discussing why towers are proposed at the Beverly Hilton, on Little SM and directly above the "unsafe" station. But hopefully it will be resolved.

btw, BH has no objection to the La Cienega or Rodeo Dr. stops or to building the CC stop on Little SM, at the 39 story tower you mention, and continuing to the VA (or SaMo for that matter).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 4:14 PM
BANNED

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._claremont.php

Curbed today had an article that gives some hope that MTA may finally be getting a dose of reality: they are fairly clear that the building out the Foothill "train to nowhere" is costing them some credibilty in DC and perhaps holding up various grants.

It's always hard to read "bureau-speak" but this seems an unusually clear rejection of wasting more money in the outer SGV and beyond. Hopefully the same thinking will be vigorously applied to other marginal projects and more focus given to the needed ones.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._claremont.php

Curbed today had an article that gives some hope that MTA may finally be getting a dose of reality: they are fairly clear that the building out the Foothill "train to nowhere" is costing them some credibilty in DC and perhaps holding up various grants.

It's always hard to read "bureau-speak" but this seems an unusually clear rejection of wasting more money in the outer SGV and beyond. Hopefully the same thinking will be vigorously applied to other marginal projects and more focus given to the needed ones.
The LAT has an article today about the success of the Orange line bus rapid transit, with the article noting that for many corridors that bus rapid transit is a better investment than rail.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:20 PM

Orange Line busway is Metro's quiet success story (LA Times)

Orange Line busway is Metro's quiet success story
The Orange Line in the San Fernando Valley, which will soon be extended, has prompted a new focus on the role of rapid buses in L.A.'s transit plans.

"Danny Ronge, a Metro instructor, drives a rapid bus along the new Orange Line extension in the Valley. The line opens June 30." (Arkasha Stevenson / Los Angeles Times / June 14, 2012)

By Ari Bloomekatz
Los Angeles Times
June 27, 2012

"As Los Angeles County pumps billions of dollars into its expanding commuter rail network, a different kind of mass transit has become an unlikely hero of the San Fernando Valley.

The 7-year-old Orange Line, a 14-mile east-west busway connecting North Hollywood to Warner Center, has been a less-flashy workhorse of success for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Less than a year after its opening, the Orange Line busway's projected ridership more than tripled to 22,000 a day, and a study by UC Berkeley researchers found it even slightly helped relieve morning traffic on the 101 Freeway, which parallels the busway. By May of this year, daily ridership had climbed to 26,670 on a line that was significantly cheaper to build than it's light-rail counterparts, such as the Blue, Green and Gold lines..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4263209.story

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 6:03 PM

why dont they just make the gold line extension a bus rapid like the orange line. It would save a ton of money and be just as effective.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 6:31 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Have any forumers used these stations yet? Or if you're using other parts of the line, does it seem a little bit busier now that Culver City is opened?
I use it roughly 3-4x a week. I have noticed a slight bump, but really only at the USC stations, La Cienega and Culver City The stations through inner-city, minority-majority Mid-City and South LA (Western, Farmdale, Crenshaw, and La Brea) still lag behind in terms of ridership and visibility. Really, people only get on/get off at the Downtown and La Cienega/Culver City parts of the line, which are its two termini.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnatural85 View Post
why dont they just make the gold line extension a bus rapid like the orange line. It would save a ton of money and be just as effective.
Don't underestimate future growth. Who's to say 10-15 years from now, BRT wouldn't be over capacity like the Orange Line?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Did you walk over to downtown Culver City, or is there a direct bus line at the station to take you over to the area?
I walked. Only took 10 minutes. Not even that (I'm a fast walker but it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to walk from the Culver Station to downtown Culver City).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation