HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive
you're totally right. berkeley has allowed telegraph to slip farther and farther each year, and it is now (or should i say moreso) a haven for drug addicts, the homeless, and a bunch of kids unwilling to find jobs. i've had visions of using a high powered hose to clean telegraph avenue especially on those kids.
oh come on - telegraph is not that bad.

it's not exactly the "cleanest," the "nicest," but it's good for what it is - a bustling retail area for students and youth and (commodified) alt-culture. the bay area has enough places for yuppies... telegraph, while stereotypical by Bay Area standards, it's at least a "unique" experience for visitors, of which Telegraph happens to get a lot of due to a not-so-small University in the vicinity.

i agree berkeley has let telegraph get in quite a disarray, but it doesn't need a makeover - maybe just a cleaning. besides, the shattuck strip is a hop/skip away, and for the true clean retail experience, one does not have to travel far to either Emeryville or Fourth Street.

I, for one, will never go to Fourth Street, but Telegraph is generally my main destination whenever I leave San Francisco proper.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^It's not even about dirt or alt-culture or commodification. It's about the energy. The last few times I've been to Telegraph--and admittedly I go there now only a couple times a year (used to go about once a month), I've really been taken aback at how angry and freaky the young bums are. They really give the street a dark energy these days. Why do you think Cody's is closing there but expanding/maintaining elsewhere?

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 11:49 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark
Not retail, but I guess its somewhat related...

San Francisco Selected for Starwood's First New Le Meridien Hotel in North America since Acquiring the Brand
Conversion a Key Move in Starwood's Aggressive Expansion of Le Meridien Properties in the U.S. and Worldwide
The Argent hotel was a Le Meridien back when it opened, in the 1980s.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 12:01 AM

With the Black Oak outpost in the Inner Sunset (my current 'hood), the Haight Amoeba a short walk away and Cody's, Rasputin's and Blondie's in Union Square there is, unfortunately, less and less reason for me to traipse back to my old haunts in Berkeley these days. The wonderful Berkeley Repertory Theater is pretty much the sole reason these days.

I'm really bummed about Cody's though. Though Moe's remains, I was always more of a Cody's guy.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 12:05 AM

Absolutely love shopping in dt SF

Went there for a Christmas shopping trip.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 1:41 AM
Operator No. 9

[Bay Area] : Cody's Telegraph flagship store to close July 10

given some of the frivolous threads in the califorum, i can splurge at least once, right?

btw, at least one forumer had some inkling of what was to come:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpound
In spite of deep local goodwill and the appearance that expansion provides, and in contrast to the tone of the article, Cody's has had a very hard time competing. The article neglected to mention Amazon, which has put a huge dent in retail book sales. I'm afraid this may in fact be Cody's last chance. If it works, though, who knows-that would be the perfect spot for our own House of Books!
at least there is still some time to visit before they close--but one less reason to visit telegraph avenue. (and one less voice of opposition to telegraph BRT...)

Farewell coming for Telegraph landmark: Cody's to close book on flagship store
By Cassandra Braun and Martin Snapp
[CONTRA COSTA TIMES]
Wed, May. 10, 2006
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/14543436.htm (*RR)

In a twist that no one would dare author, Goliath could yet triumph over David in the tale of independent bookselling.

Cody's, one of the Bay Area's legendary independent bookstores, will be closing its landmark store on Telegraph Avenue, owner Andy Ross announced Tuesday.

The independent bookseller known as a stalwart witness to the anti-war and free speech movements has succumbed to the forces of the new global marketplace.

Steadily declining sales in the last 15 years has forced Ross to shutter the store's Telegraph Avenue location near UC Berkeley after more than four decades, Ross explained in a news release.

Cody's on Telegraph will sell its last book July 10.

"It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that Cody's will be closing our doors at the Telegraph Avenue store," Ross said in the prepared statement.

Of the three Cody's locations, including Fourth Street in west Berkeley and Stockton Street in San Francisco, the Telegraph flagship has steadily lost more than $1 million. The store does one-third of the business it did in 1990, Ross said.

"As a family business, we cannot continue to afford these ruinous losses," Ross said.

The news comes a week after another longtime independent bookseller, A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books in San Francisco, announced it is selling.

For years, independent booksellers, including Ross, have charged that competition from Internet book clearinghouses like Amazon and discounted chain stores have threatened independent booksellers. Cody's is not immune, Ross said.

He also complained that declining conditions on the famous Berkeley strip, including throngs of homeless youths camped on the sidewalks and the city's lack of investment in capital improvements on the street, contributed to the book store's dip in sales.

News of the closure comes ironically as the Telegraph store celebrates its 50th year. Opened in 1956 by Pat and Fred Cody, the Cody's store quickly made its reputation as the site where politics and literature converged. The legendary store witnessed the riots at People's Park in 1969, and in 1989 became a victim of violence when someone threw a pipe bomb through the front window when the store refused to remove from its shelves Salman Rushdie's book, "The Satanic Verses," unlike other sellers nationwide.

The store was also known for having hosted book readings from a broad swath of figures from the literary world, from Kurt Vonnegut to former President Bill Clinton and local author Michael Chabon.

Pat Cody said she grieved when Ross told her of the impending closure, but she was not particularly surprised. Still living within walking distance of Telegraph, the store's 83-year-old matriarch stops by every week and stays in close contact with Ross, who took over Cody's in 1977.

"I feel very sad, but I can understand. It's a lifelong struggle to keep an independent bookstore going. You never go in expecting to make money," Cody said.

Telegraph Avenue, not to mention bookselling in general, has changed dramatically from when she and her husband opened Cody's, she said.

"I think Andy deserves a great deal of praise for hanging on as long as he did. Keeping it going with the onslaught of Amazon and chains. It's almost like putting a finger in the dike."

Customers, booksellers and others in the literary world were nonplused Tuesday night at news of the store's closure.

"People will continue to buy books either online or at other stores, but oh, God, what a loss," said Larry Ruth, a devoted Cody's customer of more than 30 years. "I remember Fred Cody very well and his wife, Pat, too. There were always lots of great books, lot of great people and lots of great literary events."

Kathleen Caldwell, owner of A Great Good Place for Books in Montclair, was a regular at Cody's since the '70s. The legendary store, along with neighboring Moes and Shakespeare & Co., inspired her to become a bookseller.

"I can't believe it. It's a real indication that the climate of independent bookselling is really changing in the Bay Area. The fact that something we considered a mainstay will no longer be there -- to me it's saying good-bye to a friend. It's like a death," she said.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 4:28 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

We've been discussing this in the SF Retail thread

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 6:05 AM
Operator No. 9

lol at myself, LOLz0111!1.

last time i checked, berkeley was near SF, not in it. why, pray tell, are we discussing berkeley in a thread titled "san francisco's retail scene?" oh well, merge-time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_eddo
oh come on - telegraph is not that bad.
i agree, and by no means is it pristine or problem-free or anything. while some may criticize the street conditions for contributing to cody's departure--no doubt it's got to be a factor--i think stumpound was accurate in saying that online retailers, like amazon, are taking a toll on independent bookstores. that and, as ktvu reported, big-box corporate bookstores, like barnes & noble and borders, which can offset losses from lagging stores from the better-performing stores. while i like to support my local indie stores, if i can get something online at half the price--with free shipping--then shit, why would i pay through the nose (comparatively) at the local store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_eddo
i agree berkeley has let telegraph get in quite a disarray, but it doesn't need a makeover - maybe just a cleaning.
well, if by cleaning you mean scrub the place down and build *something* in the fenced off, weed-infested (no, surprisingly, not the kind you smoke) lot kitty-corner to cody's, then sure. really, i can't stand that eyesore of a missing tooth in the streetwall. maybe more than the homeless and thugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint
... I've really been taken aback at how angry and freaky the young bums are. They really give the street a dark energy these days.
i really don't mind their presence, as long as they don't go out of their way to hassle me or others for money or mutter obscenities--something that, unfortunately, seems not to be the case most times. one thing i dislike, though, is the narrowness of the sidewalks. it makes it so that sometimes one must step over those camped out on the ground.

even then, it's not enough to deter me from heading to telegraph. but maybe this suburbanite is hardier than other visitors.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillain
last time i checked, berkeley was near SF, not in it. why, pray tell, are we discussing berkeley in a thread titled "san francisco's retail scene?" oh well, merge-time...
I figure this article is best to put here (as opposed to Bay Area development thread), even tho, as danvillain pointed out, Telegraph is nowhere in the limits of San Francisco.

Telegraph will change with the times. How are the stores on Haight doing?

The internet is hurting local record stores like Amoeba too. My old roommate was really into the revamping of everything about the music industry, and with a little research, found out that most mom and pop music stores were going out of business and "huge" indie stores like Amoeba make their profits essentially from their selection of used cds.

Also, I'd like to point out - Telegraph's main consumers day in and day out are the students of UC Berkeley, who heavily populate the campus's Southside neighborhood. And one thing - Berkeley students (and students in general) are CHEAP and quite fickle when it comes to spending their money. Why pay at Amoeba when you can download of your house network? Why buy expensive food when you can steal food from the DC for free? Who has time to leisure read when all your free time is spent studying? Berkeley students, while refusing to spend more than 5 dollars on a meal, will also throw down $75 bucks on a Tuesday night at Henry's or $50 on a Thursday at Blakes for booze. And *will* waste their money at Annapurna or the other head shops. I was one of them,

They are notoriously cheap and will find ways around necessities in order to fund non-essentials. And everytime I go back, it's like going back to a completely different mentality.
========
BERKELEY
Troubles on Telegraph
Closure of Cody's is only one of signs of 'The Ave's' decline
- Patrick Hoge, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, May 11, 2006

The closure of Cody's Books on Berkeley's Telegraph Avenue is the latest, and perhaps sharpest, blow to a famed but increasingly troubled area renowned for its intense pedestrian traffic, youth-oriented businesses, colorful street vendors and vagrants.

Business owners, city leaders and UC Berkeley officials say things have hit a disturbing low on "The Ave,'' where the commercial vacancy rate is approaching 15 percent and last year's sales tax receipts were 30 percent below what they were in 1990 when adjusted for inflation - the sharpest decline of any business district in the city.

"Sales are horrible right now," said Al Geyer, founder of Annapurna, an eclectic store that's been on Telegraph since 1968 and offers an array of goods ranging from pipes to spiritual music to sex toys. "I don't think anybody is making any money."

Almost everyone attributes the problems to increased competition from Internet outfits selling books and music -- two staples of Telegraph Avenue -- at rock-bottom prices and the fact that items once found only in Telegraph Avenue's offbeat shops are now sold in more mainstream venues.

But some believe that an increasing number of people are avoiding the neighborhood because of the homeless who frequent the area -- especially the youth. And one city official said the merchants of Telegraph Avenue simply have not kept up with the times.

"New generations of students do not identify with Telegraph Avenue," said Dave Fogarty of the city's Office of Economic Development. "The history of the '60s and '70s was before they were born. There doesn't seem to be all that much nostalgia for it."

Whatever the case, city officials are well aware of Telegraph's decline and are moving aggressively to reverse it. Just last week, Mayor Tom Bates called a meeting of business owners, city employees, university officials and police to discuss what to do.

"We've known that Telegraph Avenue has been a problem for a long time," he said.

Bates said he expects to present a package of initiatives soon aimed at increasing law enforcement, deploying a mental health worker to help the homeless, marketing the area as a worthwhile destination for more than just youth, and easing the requirements for businesses trying to locate in the area.

The last item has long been a goal of the business community, which argues that city limits on the number and nature of businesses in each district and the red tape involved in opening a business have long been a large, and often expensive, hurdle.

"That's obviously nonsensical," said John Lineweaver, president of the Telegraph Property and Business Improvement District.

Lineweaver said 23 of 210 commercial spaces on The Ave are vacant, but he expects that number could rise to 30 by July because some businesses are on the verge of closing.

"That's an extremely high percentage, especially in an area with one of the highest foot-traffic counts of any shopping district in the Bay Area," said Lineweaver, president of Diablo Holdings, which owns a building at Telegraph and Durant avenues with apartments, a bar, restaurant and cell phone distributor.

Beyond the impending loss of Cody's Books -- a Telegraph Avenue institution that owner Andy Ross announced Tuesday was closing down after losing some $1 million -- the Gap store directly across from the UC campus closed in January and remains vacant.

Telegraph's image problem -- the street between Parker Street and campus is often littered and dirty, and homeless youth often loiter outside businesses -- is hardly new, and the city has over the years made various efforts to clean things up.

"Now more than ever we need new political leadership that will stop defending the 'rights' of people to sleep, camp, sell drugs and sit on the sidewalks," said Greg Murphy, who lives in Berkeley's Willard neighborhood. "We need to push back at criminal and anti-social behavior to make Telegraph a safer and more viable place to work and shop."

But Telegraph Avenue is also not alone in its economic woes, with downtown businesses hurting almost as much, Fogarty said. The entire city has seen sales tax receipts stagnate or decline, with the notable exception of the trendy Fourth Street shopping district that has seen almost consistent growth since the 1980s, he said.

Citywide, sales taxes dropped from about $13 million in 2001 to about $12.8 million last year, and inflation makes those numbers look even worse, he said. And if anything, things ought to be looking up on Telegraph and south of campus because the university has added hundreds of units of housing in recent years.

But Roland Peterson, executive director of the business improvement district, said one reason the avenue's merchants are hurting is that students no longer have to frequent them now that the university has expanded its retail offerings and created university debit cards students can use to pay for meals and other campus services.

The university is considering allowing students to use the cards at businesses in the south-of-campus area, said UC Berkeley spokeswoman Irene Haggerty. She said the university has a stake in seeing Telegraph Avenue's slide reverse because it is a gateway to the campus and 80 percent of its students live nearby.

The university has increased police patrols and has been trying to clean up People's Park, for example repeatedly removing the "free box" where people leave unwanted clothing.

"The feeling was that Telegraph was reaching some sort of tipping point," Haggerty said.

But some merchants said there is reason to be optimistic.

A new Adidas store near campus appears to be thriving, Peet's Coffee wants to open a store, and the owner of lot at Haste Street that has stood vacant for more than a decade is expected to offer a development plan soon.

Doris Moskowitz, owner of Moe's Books, another venerable bookstore that is next to Cody's Books, agreed that Telegraph has some serious blight but said the bookstore her father founded in 1959 will not be leaving.

"I believe the neighborhood is just about to turn around," she said.

Page B - 1
URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg.../TELEGRAPH.TMP

Last edited by sf_eddo; May 11, 2006 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 4:04 PM

and one less voice of opposition to telegraph BRT...

Yeah, I feel bad for Cody's, but not Andy Ross. Or Telegraph. Its long-term prospects just brightened.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 5:43 AM

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...&entry_id=5457

A mall like none other? We'll be the judge of that

Sept. 28 -- that's when the gigantic Westfield San Francisco Centre that's rapidly coming together on Mission Street will open. The tenants are still being added -- a day spa was announced last week. Century Theatres, SF State, SoCal grocer Bristol Farms and a flagship Bloomingdale's will suck up thousands upon thousands of square feet apiece.

It's billed itself as "like no other place," but why, exactly? Because it's taking up nearly the whole block and incorporating the old Emporium dome? We're wondering if downtown needs yet another Aldo, Bebe or Banana Republic? We suppose they're just catering to the market -- there will also be a Clark's and Geox, presumably for tourists who underestimated the amount of walking they'd be doing in San Francisco and are desperate for more comfortable shoes.

American Eagle "modern sportswear" concept Martin + Osa will try to attract 25 to 40-year-olds, while the Gap's Forth & Towne will try to win back 35- to 55-year-old women, particularly since the Gap proper seems to be going after teens these days -- "Color rocks?" Give us a break! Hoodies? Polos?? What year is this again?

Meanwhile, H&M's conquest of the Bay Area continues. A new store opened at Sun Valley mall in Concord a few weeks ago, another comes to Walnut Creek next month, and, as rumored, Westfield will be getting one -- but it's strictly children's clothes, a clerk said last week. That's just as well -- we can see lots of potential trampling danger at the Powell Street store.

Posted By: Laura Compton (Email) | May 25 2006 at 08:00 AM

Listed Under: Shop | Comments (0) : Post Comment

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 11:08 PM

I trust Westfield as far as mall management goes. They have done a great job with Valley Fair, which is considered one of the most successful malls per square foot on the country. I don't get what this lady is trying to say by naming all those stores though. Aren't American Eagle, Aldo, A&F, etc. already present in the existing wing?

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 11:51 PM

^ She's commenting on the fact that those store already have big stores downtown, and wondering if they really need another presence in the mall.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted May 27, 2006, 6:47 PM

Yes, but they are already in that very mall. The new wing is just an extension, not an entirely new mall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2006, 4:40 PM

I was a Hippie in the 60's and aLL I got was this organic grocery store:

Haight St Whole Foods with residences atop

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=645

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/categories/the_haight.php

Whole Foods, the New Haight Cala?

You have a pitbull, you may or may not be homeless (in SF, it's so hard to tell sometimes), you may or may not have tattoos on your face, and you've really been worrying about not having a supermarket parking lot in which to hang out. Have no fear! Cala on Haight at Stanyan closed, officially, on May 24, but the owner (the Guardian says it's Mark Brennan, but the Haight Ashbury Beat calls him John Brennan... Curbed SF will christen him "Brennan") is negotiating with Whole Foods to not only demolish and rebuild an upscalish supermarket, but also build residential units and way more parking. Brennan supposedly tried to woo Trader Joe's, Rainbow Grocery, and Berkeley Bowl, but Whole Foods was the only one who would hold out the five years for destruction/construction. In the meantime, though, Brennan wants to put in a temporary grocer for all of your household and GG Park picnicking needs.

Whole Foods could really change the neighborhood. Soon neighborhood kids will become dizzy with choice over how to spend their panhandling money: organic seaweed and rice balls or used mix cds across the street at Amoeba. Oh, the details: 28,000 square foot store, 62 residential units (including 7 "affordable") built on top, and three levels of subterranean parking. We're guessing it will be similar to the Albertson's extravaganza on Masonic and Fulton.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 6:14 AM

Polk Gulch Business owners wants to change name to "Polk Village"

Business group: Call area Polk Village, not Gulch
PDF | Email
Adam Martin, The Examiner
Jun 6, 2006 9:00 AM (17 hrs ago)

SAN FRANCISCO - Polk Street has undergone vast changes since Frank Norris’ classic fictional dentist McTeague took his weekly constitutionals to Joe Frenna's Saloon and the cable car conductors’ coffee joint. But one thing that has stayed the same as long as anyone can remember is the name of the neighborhood: Polk Gulch.

A move afoot by the Polk Corridor Business Association, however, aims to change that, too. The association’s director, John Malloy, said Monday that his organization will sponsor the installation of about 50 banners reading “Welcome to Polk Village, a great place to live, work, shop and visit.”

The plan, Malloy said, is to leave the banners up for about three years to get people used to the new name, then circulate a petition to change the name officially. The banners, he said, will go up in four to six weeks.

“Merchants don’t want to say they have a business in Polk Gulch because it has a bad reputation,” Malloy said. He said about 90 percent of the merchants he talked to supported the idea.

But that support seemed tepid.

“I don't know how it’s going to help the neighborhood. Polk Village? I don’t know. ... I'm from Florida, so the whole [idea of] calling something a village when it’s not a village has a real Disney feel to it,” said Chris Martin, bartender at the popular Hemlock Tavern.

“I don't see anything wrong with it. I think change might be good,” Grubsteak owner Linda Santos said.

Malloy said the name change is the first step toward reinventing a neighborhood that has been defined by prostitution and drug dealing in its recent history. He defines Polk Gulch as the area along Polk Street from Geary Street to California Street, and nearby streets from Hyde Street to Van Ness Avenue.

“Changing the name itself will not do it, but if we can get this area going and give it a name of Polk Village it will get people behind it,” he said.

But Robert Garcia, neighborhood resident and president of Save Our Streets, a tenants and merchants association, said the move is unnecessary.

“There’s open drug dealing up and down the street, prostitution is rampant. It’s out of control,” he said. “That’s what these guys ought to be concentrating on, is cleaning that up.”

Real estate agent Judy Rydell said she had never heard of a San Francisco neighborhood changing its name. “People call different neighborhoods different things. Where does the Castro end and Eureka Valley begin? It depends on who you want to appeal to,” she said.

Examiner
*Business group: Call area Polk Village, not Gulch*
http://www.examiner.com/a-127995~Bus...not_Gulch.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 8:38 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I think they should call it West Central.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 10:07 AM

puahahahahahahahahah.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 5:19 PM
Proud upstanding member

Stupidest Idea ever (polk village) - even with San Francisco's intense fetishization of its supposed Thomas Kinkaide qualities, this is the least likely area to be a "village" in the entire city.
Fire whomever came up with this stupidness.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 8:13 PM

J Church,

Aren't you in a Polk Gulch neighborhood group? What do they think about this? I'm interested in hearing...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West