Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Artsy. Looks like apocalyptic Philly!
In a odd way this reminds me of the Blitz. My father was in London during the Blitz; thankfully this is much, much prettier and far safer obviously.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:14 PM

Webcam is finally back working.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:22 PM

18th Street reopened, so we have these views now.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:08 PM

How long until the lantern is topped off? A month? You would think it would be fairly quick to do so, given that it doesn't seem architecturally intense.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:33 PM

I believe an earlier post showed Sept 18th as the planned top off date.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
I believe an earlier post showed Sept 18th as the planned top off date.
Got it. Not too far away now!

And I can't wait for it, as I'm not a fan of the building in its current state. Right now, it's just too wide and massive, with no tapering. Every good skyscraper needs to narrow towards its top, imo.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:34 AM

Glass is so close to the top...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Sorry for the hypocrisy there....

I should have stated that I work in the field of education and I think that those legal concerns, although not non-existent, would be something that I would be surprised could dissuade a huge multi-billion dollar company like Comcast.

I see so much upside there as an educator for a company to like Comcast to be involved in a partnership with a school; I would have thought their PR people would have seen that, too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI215skyline View Post
Sorry for the hypocrisy there....

I should have stated that I work in the field of education and I think that those legal concerns, although not non-existent, would be something that I would be surprised could dissuade a huge multi-billion dollar company like Comcast.

I see so much upside there as an educator for a company to like Comcast to be involved in a partnership with a school; I would have thought their PR people would have seen that, too.
In multi-billion dollar companies, legal concerns trump pr/marketing ones 99% of the time. I agree it sounds like a slam dunk from a PR perspective and could even be a boon from an HR perspective as well if they were able to place employee's kids in the program. Unfortunately, legal gonna legal.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
Webcam is finally back working.
Yes! I dunno why it took them months to move it up a few floors, but I'm happy.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:19 PM

Another view of the glass at the top nearing completion:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
In multi-billion dollar companies, legal concerns trump pr/marketing ones 99% of the time. I agree it sounds like a slam dunk from a PR perspective and could even be a boon from an HR perspective as well if they were able to place employee's kids in the program. Unfortunately, legal gonna legal.
call me crazy but I’m thinking their PR department knows precisely what it’s doing. From Wikipedia:

“Comcast Corporation (formerly registered as Comcast Holdings) is an American global telecommunications conglomerate that is the largest broadcasting and cable television company in the world by revenue. It is the second-largest pay-TV company after AT&T, largest cable TV company and largest home Internet service provider in the United States, and the nation's third-largest home telephone service provider.”

Corporations exist to turn profit, not to save the world from itself; pretty sure they don't need our advice

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
call me crazy but I’m thinking their PR department knows precisely what it’s doing. From Wikipedia:

“Comcast Corporation (formerly registered as Comcast Holdings) is an American global telecommunications conglomerate that is the largest broadcasting and cable television company in the world by revenue. It is the second-largest pay-TV company after AT&T, largest cable TV company and largest home Internet service provider in the United States, and the nation's third-largest home telephone service provider.”

Corporations exist to turn profit, not to save the world from itself; pretty sure they don't need our advice
I did not and am not saying they at all. In fact, based on the brand they represent, their PR teams have a really tough challenge and I think they do a great job. For example Comcast Cares Day is the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer event. That's big. What we're saying is that even if they would want to run a school - which Comcast would want to do for a multitude outside of simply just PR - their legal team has the ability to out the kabosh on it.

Literally every PR/marketing department in every fortune 500 company would like to do things that they cannot due to legal saying no (probably second only to budgetary constraints as a reason for not moving forward with an idea). That's just the way the world works.

I think there are a lot of reasons that a corporation might want to run a school, but PR is likely icing on the cake rather than a driving reason (especially considering the level of sustained investment needed for something like that). Penn didn't build Penn Alexander for good PR. They did it to drive up property values, attract talent, have a lab to test education theory (I'm guessing) and improve the feel of the neighborhood to make the student experience better.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:56 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I did not and am not saying they at all. In fact, based on the brand they represent, their PR teams have a really tough challenge and I think they do a great job. For example Comcast Cares Day is the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer event. That's big. What we're saying is that even if they would want to run a school - which Comcast would want to do for a multitude outside of simply just PR - their legal team has the ability to out the kabosh on it.

Literally every PR/marketing department in every fortune 500 company would like to do things that they cannot due to legal saying no (probably second only to budgetary constraints as a reason for not moving forward with an idea). That's just the way the world works.

I think there are a lot of reasons that a corporation might want to run a school, but PR is likely icing on the cake rather than a driving reason (especially considering the level of sustained investment needed for something like that). Penn didn't build Penn Alexander for good PR. They did it to drive up property values, attract talent, have a lab to test education theory (I'm guessing) and improve the feel of the neighborhood to make the student experience better.
I hear ya; I come at this from a legal perspective & as pointed out by @PHI215skyline above the legal concerns are 'not non-existent'. I'd probably go a little further & say they're even more significant than that, ever spend a day in a room full of lawyers . But that's a bit of speculation I suppose, for all we know there are other undisclosed considerations that weighed more heavily in their decision.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 11:34 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:02 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Nice set, TK. You cover a lot of good ground and some interesting angles on your photo shoot!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Nice pics! The crane almost looks like a spire in many pics. I wonder if that's visually about the same height as the lantern will be?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Nice pics! The crane almost looks like a spire in many pics. I wonder if that's visually about the same height as the lantern will be?
maybe, page one has the renderings which will give you a real view of the height.

Speaking of the crane, now that the web-cam has been back up & running I see that it has shifted focus from the cooling tower back to hoisting windows. Can anyone in eye-shot see if there's any activity going on with the towers or has it stopped. The actual cooling units were supposed to be placed in there a while ago

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Perspective-wise it looks like it

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:10 AM

The lights for the lobby are on at night - wow, it's really impressive. The lights, the wood ceiling columns and side walls, the double escalators ... overall, it's gigantic.

(see the man there ... those units are YUGE!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture