HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:30 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Qingdao

Qingdao has quite an interesting history being under German colonial hands. What sets it apart from other similar cities under other European influence is the natural setting - ocean and hills.

The Governor’s House was designed to look like a German palace and its interiors scream art nouveau. Built in 1908, it is a museum today with simple period decor showcasing how this high-ranking official lived during the colonial era.

The interiors are simply decorated.

The Protestant Church has a medieval castle design, which helped it survive the Cultural Revolution as it didn't look like a place or worship. Built in 1908, they now charge 10 yuan admission to see its simple interiors.

10-15 minutes further away, the Catholic Church has a far more intricate interior. Built in 1934 by a German architect in the Gothic and Roman style, St. Michael's Cathedral suffered immense damage during the Cultural Revolution.

Today, it is a popular spot for wedding photos.

Qingdao Railway Station has a huge security presence thanks to terrorist attacks at other major Chinese train stations in recent years.

They are watching you.

The square is huge but it is barricaded from its neighbouring streets, so there really isn't a reason to come here. To cross the road, the proper way is to go underground.

The city has expanded eastwards along the coast and a line of skyscrapers has formed along Xianggang (Hong Kong) Middle Road.

Soon, I arrived at the waterfront, which has a long promenade leading all the way to the Olympic harbour, where sailing events took place in 2008.

Visit other Chinese cities with colonial legacy : Tianjin | Wuhan | Dalian

More of Qingdao on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/qingdao.htm

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:15 AM

Nice pictures. It's good to see that there's some historic structures sprinkled in the middle of a city in China. It's also nice to see churches withstand the Cultural Revolution.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:20 PM
Hong Kong

Xiaoyushan Park sits atop a small hill but offers a lovely view of the city and its ocean setting. To get there, it is a short walk uphill from Huiquan Guangchang metro station.

Qingdao has several beaches right in its city centre. In the warmer months, you can ride the metro to the beach.

This is a bit more laid-back city. You can see the Protestant and Catholic Churches from the German colonial period here.

The surrounding streets are very residential and quiet.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:56 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

one of the most livable-appearing (for my tastes) chinese cities i've seen. thanks!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:17 AM
cities|transit|croissants

What an interesting city.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:36 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
one of the most livable-appearing (for my tastes) chinese cities i've seen. thanks!
Yes, Qingdao and Dalian are both quite liveable and don't have that overcongested claustrophobia common in other large Chinese cities.

My Dalian threads :

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215766

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=203770

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:34 PM
Hong Kong

The Naval Museum is tucked away in a fairly hidden location off the main street. Its outdoor section consists of various military equipment on display and several ships are moored just offshore.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:39 PM
Hong Kong

Qingdao's metro opened in late 2016 with 1 line connecting the city's 2 main railway stations. The design is not much different from other Chinese metros, although crowds are noticeably smaller than in other large cities. While the current network is inadequate to service such a large city, it will cover most of the key attractions that tourists will visit, including the historic centre and the hotels in the newer business district to the east.

To combat the cold weather, station exits are draped in thick and heavy protective curtains.

Buses are relatively cheap with many city routes still charging only 1 yuan. Air-conditioned routes charge 2.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/qingdao.htm

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:58 PM
Hong Kong

Qingdao's waterfront promenade is quite nice for a walk on a sunny day. The skyline is evolving nicely and it is not surprising why the 2008 Olympic sailing events took place here.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:26 AM

It is not bad, not bad at all.

Is it the major city in that third world country while the rest of it are rural areas with long-term poverty or food deficiency?

Last edited by Murphy de la Sucre; Oct 31, 2018 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:01 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
It is not bad, not bad at all.

Is it the major city in the third world country while the rest of it are rural areas with long-term poverty or food deficiency?
That's North Korea, not China.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:52 AM
if I sang out of tune

Some of those last pics from the harbour have a Sydney vibe to them. This city has a lot of potential.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 11:56 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Very interesting thread. Did you drive across the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 4:46 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Very interesting thread. Did you drive across the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge?
I actually thought of living on the other side as there were quite some good deals, but when I saw how long the journey was, I backed out and stayed in the city instead. I hope to go there next time to see some of the new developments and skyscrapers.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 12:16 AM

Looks like a fascinating city. I had no idea that Germany had a colony in China.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos