HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 6:04 AM

Trestle Glen, Oakland CA (beautiful 1920s mansions)

...Wow. The weather today was better than picture-perfect... it was perfect. And what a perfect place to take advantage of the weather... I had never really ventured into this neighborhood before but I can seriously say that it gave me a new perspective of the city. It was a lot to take in at once... lol.

Trestle Glen is East of the Lakeshore area and above 580. It turns into Glenview once you hit Park Blvd. It's home to some of the oldest housing stock in Oakland but also some of the most handsome... charming is an understatement. I ended up taking over 190 photos just of this neighborhood in an hour.

I also took pics of the Lakeshore Ave area.

Trestle Glen

Lakeshore

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 1:46 PM

Looks pretty sweet to me!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 3:13 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wonderful.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:37 PM

I've skirted that part of Oakland, but, have never explored it in depth. I love neighborhoods like this that so easily dispel the impression most people have of Oakland. Great photos, thanks!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 3:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 8:08 PM
Of Heart's Delight

I did an appraisal on Mandana several years ago and got lost back in the hills. It's a very lush and vast area that few people really see unless they're in it, and that's probably the allure.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:19 PM

So much for "ghetto" Oakland

SWEET. Very SWEET. I know this neighborhood well. The homes start off as merely gracious, and the higher you go up the hill, they become estates. Take that Piedmont!

Seriously, this is a very beautiful neighborhood by any standard, and it is only one of the very affluent neighborhoods in Oakland that belies the hoary (or racist) myth that Oakland is merely one big ghetto. It also gives the lie to the likes of one so-called "Mr. Fantastic" (i.e., Mr. Fantastical) of another site (you know about whom I speak), who can only concede that Rockridge might not be a ghetto, but insists that the likes of Crocker Highlands/Trestle Glen don't exist ("within a three-mile radius of Piedmont, it's a sh*t house" I believe was the phrase).

And yet here is Crocker Highlands, within that very three-mile radius. And there are also Montclair, Oakmore, and Upper Rockridge at that.

I look forward to your photos of Montclair (both new and old Montclair, Pershing Drive AND Broadway Terrace, for example), Oakmore, and Skyline Estates. You'll still have Ridgemont, Sequoyah Highlands, Chabot Estates, to count in before swinging up north to do Claremont Hills/Woodmont-Montclair north of the Caldicott.

And don't forget Haddon Hill, where Henry Kaiser had his mansion (still standing proudly, and still a private residence.

Nice to see Oakland get its proper due.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-vidal naquet's ami View Post
SWEET. Very SWEET. I know this neighborhood well. The homes start off as merely gracious, and the higher you go up the hill, they become estates. Take that Piedmont!

Seriously, this is a very beautiful neighborhood by any standard, and it is only one of the very affluent neighborhoods in Oakland that belies the hoary (or racist) myth that Oakland is merely one big ghetto. It also gives the lie to the likes of one so-called "Mr. Fantastic" (i.e., Mr. Fantastical) of another site (you know about whom I speak), who can only concede that Rockridge might not be a ghetto, but insists that the likes of Crocker Highlands/Trestle Glen don't exist ("within a three-mile radius of Piedmont, it's a sh*t house" I believe was the phrase).

And yet here is Crocker Highlands, within that very three-mile radius. And there are also Montclair, Oakmore, and Upper Rockridge at that.

I look forward to your photos of Montclair (both new and old Montclair, Pershing Drive AND Broadway Terrace, for example), Oakmore, and Skyline Estates. You'll still have Ridgemont, Sequoyah Highlands, Chabot Estates, to count in before swinging up north to do Claremont Hills/Woodmont-Montclair north of the Caldicott.

And don't forget Haddon Hill, where Henry Kaiser had his mansion (still standing proudly, and still a private residence.

Nice to see Oakland get its proper due.

I've actually already done both Haddon Hill and Ridgemont. I would start a thread but I get the feeling people are noticing a sudden bulk of Oakland threads lol.

And amazingly, Mr. Fantastic conceded that Dimond is a decent neighborhood. Must've actually visited it or something

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:34 PM

Talking Please DO start that thread

"I've actually already done both Haddon Hill and Ridgemont. I would start a thread but I get the feeling people are noticing a sudden bulk of Oakland threads lol."

My friend, PLEASE do start that thread. Oakland always gets the slagging, not the least of which comes from San Francisco (so much for "progressive" San Franciscans, who have conveniently forgotten about the Tenderloin, not to mention Hunter's Point, a convenient bit of de facto apartheid if ever). So why not show off Oakland's New/Old Montclair, Haddon Hill, Ridgemont, Oakmore, Skyline Estates, Balmoral/Tartan Way, Chabot Parklands, Sequoyah Highlands, Woodside, Hiller, and Claremont (north of the Calecott)?

According to the likes of you-know-who and one so-called "NorCalDude," these affluent to wealthy, always gracious and often outright beautiful neighborhoods are not supposed to exist. But they most certainly do. (to be fair, even Oakland-hater, NorCallDude, got tired of Monsieur Fantastique's absurdly dishonest manipulation of statistics, to the point where the former, NorCal, told the latter, "You're blowing smoke out of your ass now." Every now and then, a moment of truth.)

"And amazingly, Mr. Fantastic conceded that Dimond is a decent neighborhood. Must've actually visited it or something."

Mr. Fantastic actually conceded that an Oakland neighborhood other than Rockridge is something better than a "sh*thole/ghetto"? Will wonders ever cease.

Now if one could get him to notice all of the aforementioned wealthy neighborhoods, PLUS the middle-class/upper middle-class neighborhoods of Redwood Heights, Crestmont ( a bit too suburban-like for my taste), Glen Park, not to mention up-and-coming Adam's Point, and the apartment district of Lake Merritt.

Be that as it may, this New Yorker would love to view not a few more threads of Oakland, the supposed second sister coming in to her own. Post those threads!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:45 PM

not exactly my cup of tea...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 4:52 AM
International

this area is the bomb! for some reason, it reminds me alot of los feliz here in los angeles. another solid tour!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:24 PM

Hey! That's where my friend John lives. I stay with him every time I visit the Bay Area. It looks lovely in the pictures, but is an even more pleasant and cozy neighborhood when you walk around it. Lakeshore is a great commercial strip to walk to. The Grand Lake theater is, along with the Vista theater in Los Feliz, one of my favorite places to see a movie.

10 points, Thanks for sharing

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 4:35 PM

Great thread! Really shows off what Oakland has to offer!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 11:28 PM
Bah!

Missed this thread first time around. Beautiful neighborhood! Thanks for posting!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos