HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Although there are plenty of photos of the glass of most of these buildings in their respect construction threads, there are none of this one:...
Actually, here it is (last page):
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...118176&page=14

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 12:53 AM
North Beach

D'oh. Don't know how I missed it. I moved the photos to that thread.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Has anyone heard anything new about 645 Howard (aka: 1 Hawthorne)? The demolition permit and FAR waiver were approved in July and are posted onsite. The new building is supposed to be residential, so I'm concerned it may get nixed. Although, having not seen it, I guess I shouldn't assume it should get built.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 1:07 AM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:46 AM

Wow, great photo! I've never seen ORH from that angle in the skyline before.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Has anyone heard anything new about 645 Howard (aka: 1 Hawthorne)? The demolition permit and FAR waiver were approved in July and are posted onsite. The new building is supposed to be residential, so I'm concerned it may get nixed. Although, having not seen it, I guess I shouldn't assume it should get built.
Here's the current occupant of the site. It's funny that there are for lease signs practically side-by-side with permit-to-demo notices.

There are for lease signs all over the buildings where Piano's towers will go as well. At least those we know are probably years away. But this thing could come down anytime.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:25 AM

645 Howard

^^^As recently as September, it looks like the planning department held a special hearing on an application for the transfer of development rights to this project. From the meeting agenda:

"The proposal is to allow the approved project to obtain a site permit and commence construction before an adequate number of transferable development rights (TDR) are acquired due to an apparent limited quantity of TDR currently available."

http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_page.asp?id=66535

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any more recent info on the project (or the actual minutes of the above meeting, for that matter).

It will be nice to see some tall buildings on this stretch of Howard, and it will be especially nice to see something go up that will help to hide that brown colored abomination behind this one.

On the other hand, I'll be a little sorry to see the current 645 Howard demolished. Other than the glass being too dark, it's really not an unattractive little building.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update. I searched the sfgov site as well and didn't find that nugget. I hope the design of the new building is nice, because I agree that this isn't a bad little building.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:52 PM
BANNED

New SoMa Grand fuels property rush

Quote:
New SoMa Grand fuels property rush
Condo tower signals neighborhood's shift from beat to sweet
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

The opening of the SoMa Grand condo complex, coupled with the influx of 3,000 workers from San Francisco's new federal building, is creating a land rush for investors and restaurateurs looking to get a foothold on and around the long-downtrodden stretch of Mission Street between Sixth and Ninth streets.

A neglected building that long housed a garment factory and car stereo business, 1161 Mission St. sold in 2005 for just over $100 a square foot. Now two years later, impresario Jon Mayeda said he can't keep up with the offers he gets on the five-story, 75,000-square-foot property across from the SoMa Grand, which he now values at $300 square foot, or $22.5 million.

"We are getting letters every other week and three or four calls a week," said Mayeda, a partner in Circolo Restaurant & Ultra Lounge. "People are always asking me about it."

The 260-unit SoMa Grand is springing to life this week, with the first closings executed Dec. 5. Moving trucks scheduled to arrive this weekend. Sales have been modest thus far with about 90 units under contract.

While some condo buyers have been hesitant to invest in an area long overrun by drug peddlers and vagrants, the project has caught on among people willing to take a chance that the gritty corridor has the potential to become an exciting and eclectic enclave. In addition to the Thom Mayne-designed federal building, the area will benefit from the beginning of construction at Trinity Plaza, which will eventually include 1,900 rental apartments at Eighth and Market streets.

Adam Chall, a partner with TMG Partners, which developed the SoMa Grand with AGI Capital, said the rate of change has been mind-boggling.

"This neighborhood story is happening faster than we can explain it to people," said Chall.

Plenty to eat

But even before the new wave of residents move in, the dollars have been pouring in. At 138 Sixth St., an organic restaurant and catering business, Split Pea Seduction and Jersey Tomatoes, has opened. At 121 Seventh St. is Custom Burger/Lounge, a gourmet burger spot and bar. Around the corner from the SoMa Grand, at 139 Eighth St., Chez Papa owner Jocelyn Bulow has created Bossa Nova, a Brazilian tapas spot and nightclub.

On Sixth Street, renovations are under way for two cafes, a Vietnamese restaurant, an optometrist and large produce/grocery market, according to Jenny McNulty, executive director of Urban Solutions, which works with small businesses in depressed areas. Most of the available retail spaces along Sixth Street are now spoken for.

"You don't see it yet -- a lot of these retail spaces are leased and in the midst of tenant improvements," she said. "By March, you are going to see a really different landscape."

In addition, Joie De Vivre's Chip Conley has invested heavily in the area, signing on to provide services at the SoMa Grand and taking over management of four nearby hotels. One of those, the Hotel Britton on the corner of Seventh and Mission streets, will be reinvented as the Good Hotel and will feature an eatery called the Good Restaurant. Slanted Door owner Charles Phan plans a bistro on the ground floor of SoMa Grand, as well.

Economists see good times ahead

Among the new SoMa Grand owners are land use economists Claude and Nina Gruen of Gruen & Gruen Associates. Empty-nesters who are still cleaning out their 3,500-square-foot hilltop house in El Cerrito, the Gruens looked at some of San Francisco's fanciest new buildings. They considered the Four Seasons, the Ritz-Carlton and the St. Regis.

But ultimately the Gruens were drawn to the dynamics of a changing district. The Gruens bought two penthouses on the 22nd floor for a 2,400-square-foot unit with a 350-square-foot deck. Depending on size and views, penthouses in the building are priced between $1,000 and $1,200 a square foot.

"We think it's going to be a short time period before this area is transformed rather dramatically," said Nina Gruen.

The Gruens compare the neighborhood to the 500 block of Howard Street, where they moved their business in 1974. At the time, it was desolate and suffering from the flight of industry and warehousing. Now it's the heart of Foundry Square and the transbay district.

"That took 15 years -- this will take five years or less," said Nina Gruen. "I don't have 15 years."

Nina Gruen, who attends opera, symphony and ballet and is on the board of several arts organizations, said the neighborhood has everything she needs.

"It's flat. I can walk to my office in 18 minutes. I can walk to the opera in 12 minutes. I can walk to Yerba Buena in 12 minutes and Bloomingdale's in five minutes. I can walk to everything I do."

In the Mid-Market, she said she sees a potential for a truly mixed building with a mix of ages. Gruen said she was also turned off by the fact that many buyers in the super-deluxe projects are globe-trotters with two or three other residences.

"I don't want to live in a building where 60 percent of the owners are sporadic visitors," she said. "And it may sound funny, but I don't want to be with just people my own age."

Adam Koval, publisher of the real estate web site Socketsite, said sales at the SoMa Grand are probably behind pro formas. He said property is competing with the Potrero, Symphony Towers and Van Ness with some smaller units starting in the $500,000s.

He said the area of SoMa in unique in the amount of capital being simultaneously dumped in a small area without much existing housing. In a real estate downturn, that can make a big difference.

"People are saying if the market isn't appreciating as much, my return is going to come from neighborhood appreciation," Koval said.

Dealing with crime

Still, petty crime remains an issue on and around Sixth Street, where addicts continue to openly smoke crack and vagrants persist in relieving themselves in doorways. San Francisco Police Lt. Steve Mannina said the quality-of-life crimes continue, but there have been improvements.

"Crime has diminished somewhat, partly because of the federal building," he said. "Officers who patrol down there are seeing improvements."

Christian Noto, whose Split Pea Seduction serves about 100 lunches a day, sees about 30 percent of trade coming from the federal building. Noto is hoping that SoMa Grand and Trinity Plaza will bring a new crop of customers.

"Some people are scared of Sixth Street, but it hasn't been so bad," he said.

Meanwhile, the days of bargain development sites in the neighborhood may be fading, according to Phil Chen of Sybarite Investments, an investor in 1161 Mission St. He said a developer has bought the property next to 1161 Mission St. and plans to build lofts there.

"Everyone is holding out for more money," Chen said. "We have canvassed the three blocks around our building. Either it's already been sold or people are asking for too much."

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:46 AM

I would love to see a render with all the approved and proposed towers inserted into the skyline. I would give it a go, but don't have my photoshop CD right now, so I can't do it (not that it would even be anything special)...I would love to see a general idea of what it would look like though...

Also, any news on the Place Hotel tower? That one looks like it's gonna be really nice.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:39 PM
Only Mostly Dead

CityKid brought up a topic in the 555 Mission thread that I wanted to expand on here so as to not take that thread too far off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Something else has to start soon otherwise our building boom is going to come to a crashing halt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^Well I think the new PUC building on Golden Gate is a pretty sure bet for the spring. It's not that tall, but it's very green. And of course the second ORH tower is a lock, probably for next month (or it might slip to February but sometime in late winter).
I'm pretty confident 45 Lansing will start around the same time as well. Transbay will happen, although much later. I'm really curious about 350 Bush. The latest I could find on sfgov was its mention in a discussion about entitlements and if they should expire. I remember some posts about that several pages back in this thread too. In the planning commission meeting notes, Robert Herr mentions that they have started some of the historic rehab, but there is no mention of the new construction at that site. I thought this one was a slam-dunk to start soon, but now I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:58 PM

Construction will always be cyclical, so I wouldn’t worry about things slowing down.

However, this cycle did do something that many other cycles failed to do. Many neighborhood plans were approved or moved forward, notably Rincon Hill and Transbay.

Now that the Rincon Hill plan is approved and property owners have entitlements, we will see the skyline grow. The economy may slow and projects may be placed on hold, but one day they will get built!

This slowdown is much different than last time, when nothing was approved and roadblocks were placed to ensure that when the economy turned around nothing would be built.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:48 AM
Only Mostly Dead

One of the lesser profile projects: the horizontal addition to One Kearny.

They are prepping its neighbor and its own back wall (under the covered scaffolding):

A look down in the hole shows that they have a lot of work to do before we see anything rise above street level:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 6:12 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Any renderings of the addition?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 8:31 AM
BANNED

Source: http://www.archengine.com/index.html
Credit to citizensf for originally finding it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 7:20 PM

Thought it wouldn't hurt to copy this here as well:

Quote:
Here are renderings of 1285 Sutter Street via: http://www.suttervanness.com/news_20070727.htm

Also here is another rendering of the Market street addition from http://www.archengine.com/Project/12.html

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 7:32 PM
BANNED

^^^And may as well note the new addition isn't just an addition. It's a "seismic bookend".

Quote:
An amalgam of three buildings, one new and two existing (from different eras), will form a new single office building with retail uses on lower floors. The new building on one side plus an existing Annex on the other side function as "seismic bookends", supporting the original 1902 structure without intrusive intervention
Source: http://www.archengine.com/Project/12.html

But it's also intended to eliminate the "gap-tooth" look of the Market st. streetwall from 3rd St.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 8:59 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm glad they're going with a completely different look that reads as a separate building. Rarely, is trying to make it look like part of the original structure a success.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 12:02 AM
North Beach

And now, for some low rise action, we have the embarcadero restaurants nearing completion:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 1:48 AM
BANNED

A lot of restaurants in SF don't last all that long. Given the cost of these buildings and the eyesores they could become if sitting abandoned, I wonder what assurances we have that Pat Kuleto will keep them open for a long time, regardless of business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations