HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 8:42 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts View Post
I agree! The Convention Center and Rose Quarter stops are WAY too close to each other! I mean, who cant walk one tiny Portland block? I've also thought the Kings Hill/SW Salmon and PGE Park stops were ridiculously close together as well. Why did TriMet build these stops literally within a stones throw away from each other?
Politics. The mucky-mucks at the MAC wanted a convenient stop for their patrons (as if they all use mass transit..... not). It was a last minute addition to the westside line that never should have happened. If TriMet was serious about wanting to reduce the painfully slow crawl from Holliday Park to Goose Hollow, they would remove that stop from service. But there are actually 4 opportunities for consolidation of stops.

#1- King's Hill/Salmon Station. Eliminate completely.

#2- Pioneer CH Sq. and Mall Stations. These need to be consolidated into a single station at Pioneer Courthouse (between 5th and 6th). Get rid of the cutesy bronze animal statues and fountains, widen the sidewalks around all 4 sides of the courthouse, and make a true transfer center between the Blue/Red lines and the Yellow/Green lines.

#3- Skidmore Fountain and Oak/1st Stations. Consolidate these two stations into a new Skidmore Fountain Station between Ash and Pine (still just a block away from the fountain).

#4- Rose Quarter and Convention Center Stations. Combine them into one new higher capacity RQ station with grade separation between the trains (below) and ped/auto/bus circulation (above).

Just making those four changes would speed up Red/Blue service considerably and make cross-city commuting less of a joke. The 2-3 block station spacing is a remnant of when the first Gresham line was built and MAX was intended to be a downtown circulator as well as a long distance commuter rail. With the second downtown MAX alignment and the Streetcar, stations that close no longer make sense.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 9:44 AM
A before E

Also another thing that would be worth considering would be Express lines, which would require trimet to go beyond the simple rail system we have in place because it would have to add lines to existing tracks to eliminate stops for Express lines and allow them to pass non express trains. Which if they ever did this, the Red Line from downtown to the airport should be the first one to happen because most of the people riding from the airport are probably heading downtown, and if an Express train reduced the time down to 20-25 minutes, that would drastically improve our system.

Just kind of my wishlist of things I would love to see happen.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
#2- Pioneer CH Sq. and Mall Stations. These need to be consolidated into a single station at Pioneer Courthouse (between 5th and 6th). Get rid of the cutesy bronze animal statues and fountains, widen the sidewalks around all 4 sides of the courthouse, and make a true transfer center between the Blue/Red lines and the Yellow/Green lines.
Unfortunately, this will never happen because the federal government remodeled the courthouse and added underground parking - with a driveway exiting onto Morrison.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 8:40 PM
Karma Police

^^^^
Yes, I know. But for the few judges that park there, the Morrison stop can be designed to allow entrance and egress for that underground garage. Cars cross the tracks throughout downtown, so a specially designed driveway wouldn't be a problem.

If the CH is unwilling to allow a stop there, an alternative would be to keep the Pioneer CH Sq. Stations as-is (as-are?), then consolidate the Mall and Yamhill District Stations into a single station between 3rd and 4th. They could still be called Mall Stations because they'd still straddle the Pioneer Mall. Either way, four stops within eight blocks of Morrison and Yamhill is extremely inefficient. Consolidation of stops is very simple to do and should have been done years ago.

Twenty years from now, once the Barbur and Powell and Vancouver corridors are built and MAX reaches full capacity through downtown, we can finally put them into a subway where they belong.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 10:06 PM

^ OR, close the street on that block and put the platform on the side in front of Macy's. with consolidated stops you'd need more room for people waiting anyway.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 11:31 PM
Karma Police

Closing Morrison to autos altogether, even for just one block, would have major ripple effects on circulation throughout downtown, not to mention cut off access to the Nines Hotel. The city would never consider that.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 7:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
^^^^
Yes, I know. But for the few judges that park there, the Morrison stop can be designed to allow entrance and egress for that underground garage. Cars cross the tracks throughout downtown, so a specially designed driveway wouldn't be a problem.

If the CH is unwilling to allow a stop there, an alternative would be to keep the Pioneer CH Sq. Stations as-is (as-are?), then consolidate the Mall and Yamhill District Stations into a single station between 3rd and 4th. They could still be called Mall Stations because they'd still straddle the Pioneer Mall. Either way, four stops within eight blocks of Morrison and Yamhill is extremely inefficient. Consolidation of stops is very simple to do and should have been done years ago.

Twenty years from now, once the Barbur and Powell and Vancouver corridors are built and MAX reaches full capacity through downtown, we can finally put them into a subway where they belong.
Never going to happen...at least in our lifetime. I am just taking an educated guess, but I would say that both the east/west and north/south tracks through downtown can handle up to 4 train lines each before it begins to be a problem for the city with train congestion. (Which like I said was just a guess and could actually handle more train lines that just 4 each for all I know.) The Milwaukie line will just be an extension of a current line (Green or Yellow? I don't remember which one,) so technically that will not be an actual new line.

The most we might ever see as an improvement to the MAX will be with Express Lines that would bypass stops outside of downtown to increase the speed to and from downtown.

I do agree with you that the two stops that are at the Mall should be consolidated into one stop because having three stops within 5 blocks is a bit stupid to have...though I do not feel sorry for any idiot that is waiting for the train to take it to Pioneer Square because they are too lazy to walk a couple of blocks outdoors. I also think the Kings Station is also a waste of a stop, but can see the politics that probably went into that stop. Overall, getting rid of maybe three stops would really only shave about 5-6 minutes off a a total trip time through downtown, and not ever have a real impact on saving time.

Having a Red Express and a Blue Express would be much more efficient with improving the MAX because then each line could run only at peak hours and only hit a few key stations to and from downtown, as well as possibly running at a little bit higher speeds, but that would require a more complicated system upgrade to take in the consideration of timing for trains that are passing other trains heading in the same direction.

I love subway tunnels, but the closest Portland will ever be getting to a subway tunnel in our lifetime is going up to Seattle or down to SF to ride in theirs....or ride back and forth through Washington Park, obviously. The only way Portland would of gotten a subway tunnel is if when the city was building tracks along 5th and 6th, the city would of had to decide then to build a city's first tunnel, and then could of turned the current east/west lines into streetcar lines. But all of that is a bunch of "what ifs" that don't really matter.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
LOS ANGELES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

God [expletive], I hate when people who never use mass transit write about the success of mass transit.

Quote:
According to a U.S. News analysis, the 10 U.S. cities with the best combination of public transportation investment, ridership, and safety are

I believe the word they're looking for is "Bogus." Portland? Yeah. NYC? Yeah. Los Angeles? No effing way. Geez.
Believe it or not but Los Angeles probably has the best bus system in the US with new, natural gas busses, and rapid and local service on many routes. Plus, the city is rapidly building out its already impressive rail system.

It’s definitely not as good as it should but its also not a complete joke as many would believe.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 10:28 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Overall, getting rid of maybe three stops would really only shave about 5-6 minutes off a a total trip time through downtown, and not ever have a real impact on saving time.
Saving just 5 minutes through downtown doesn't sound like much, but it's actually a lot. Five times the number of passengers adds up to huge time savings for daily commutes. It also saves time and money on operations. For example, moving the same amount of people the same distance in 20 minutes versus 25 minutes is a 20% savings in Trimet's operations budget. The savings will be even greater when the subway is built.

Quote:
Never going to happen...at least in our lifetime. I am just taking an educated guess, but I would say that both the east/west and north/south tracks through downtown can handle up to 4 train lines each before it begins to be a problem for the city with train congestion.
I love subway tunnels, but the closest Portland will ever be getting to a subway tunnel in our lifetime is going up to Seattle or down to SF to ride in theirs....or ride back and forth through Washington Park, obviously. The only way Portland would of gotten a subway tunnel is if when the city was building tracks along 5th and 6th, the city would of had to decide then to build a city's first tunnel, and then could of turned the current east/west lines into streetcar lines. But all of that is a bunch of "what ifs" that don't really matter.
If Trimet wants to increase capacity beyond 2025 or 2030, a subway alignment will be necessary. Not just because a subway is cool and gives a city bragging rights, but because we're going to hit maximum capacity on the two surface alignments sooner than later.

The thing that constricts the capacity downtown is not the number of lines running downtown, it's the number of trains. Probably the most immediate problem is the Steele Bridge. All 4 MAX lines converge here and capacity is limited to around 20 trains per hour in each direction. That's 5 trains per hour per line (assuming 4 through lines), on average. That means only 12 minute headways per line. A similar constriction occurs where the lines cross paths at Pioneer Courthouse. We're already very close to capacity during peak hours with just the lines we have. Once Milwaukie (and eventually Oregon City), then Vancouver, then Tigard and Sherwood, then Powell are all added to the system (in 20 years), and ridership has doubled (at least), the surface lines through downtown will not be adequate.

Another barrier to adding surface capacity downtown are the traffic lights. You can never get more than 12-15 trains per hour on either the Yamhill/Morrison or the 5th/6th couplets simply because of the timing of the lights. And that's assuming they don't share the Steele Bridge and the crossing at Pioneer CH.

The third, and probably fatal impediment to future expansion of surface capacity is the short blocks downtown. Our whole system is limited to 2-car trains because of our 200 foot blocks. With a subway alignment, capacity would more than double because 4-car trains would then be possible. Plus the time savings and operational streamlining from not having to deal with traffic lights, cross traffic, pedestrian traffic, etc., etc. Reliability would be tremendously improved.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:08 PM

I've always wondered if the existing tunnels downtown could be used in any way. I've never seen an actual map of them, so maybe its an obvious yes or no...but its interesting to think about.

And I really hope one day going through downtown on Max can be faster. Its terribly frustrating that Max essentially becomes a streetcar through downtown with the amount of stops. And Also having the essentially 3 stops near PGE park seems stupid as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:31 AM
Karma Police

Existing tunnels?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:44 AM

It's too bad we didn't just buy the "Big Dig" (or whatever they are calling the sewer tunneling) machines. We could have put those babies to work for 20 years! A couple subway lines and burial of the I-5 plus the big dig could have surely justifies the expense? one wishes.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Feb 15, 2011 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:24 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0898 View Post
No doubt Portland is good, but is it REALLY better than NYC, San Francisco and Chicago? Somehow, this list doesn't quite pass the smell test. This reminds me a little of the year the 'Places Rated (?)' almanac decided Pittsburg was the most livable city in the county. (I am NOT comparing Portland to Pittsburg, BTW.) It seems like the criteria was weighted in a way to come up with interesting results.
Just so you know if you are talking about Pittsburgh, PA, there is always an "H" at the end. Just a grammar correction, I know if I were from Pittsburgh, I would get annoyed seeing my city said or pronounced wrong, especially when it is a city as big as Pittsburgh. Not trying to sound mean with this, just figured you were unaware of this mistake that you were making.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Just so you know if you are talking about Pittsburgh, PA, there is always an "H" at the end. Just a grammar correction, I know if I were from Pittsburgh, I would get annoyed seeing my city said or pronounced wrong, especially when it is a city as big as Pittsburgh. Not trying to sound mean with this, just figured you were unaware of this mistake that you were making.
If you're talking about changing the spelling of a word, that's called a spelling correction, not a grammar correction. Just clarifying, since English majors I know would get upset if someone mixed up spelling and grammar - which concerns parts of speech, verb tenses, prepositions and the like. Not trying to sound anal about this, but I just figured you were unaware of the mistake you making.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Existing tunnels?
There are the tunnels for the "Shanghai Tunnel" tour (Which I do realize aren't "true tunnels" for transit, but perhaps with some modification?), as well as what I've always thought was an access point (I could be completely wrong on this one) to some sort of tunnel on SW 9th and Morrison (If you want to see what I'm talking about, look down SW9th from Morrison just on the corner there near the Brooks Brothers on Google Street View...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
There are the tunnels for the "Shanghai Tunnel" tour (Which I do realize aren't "true tunnels" for transit, but perhaps with some modification?), as well as what I've always thought was an access point (I could be completely wrong on this one) to some sort of tunnel on SW 9th and Morrison (If you want to see what I'm talking about, look down SW9th from Morrison just on the corner there near the Brooks Brothers on Google Street View...
The 'Shanghai Tunnels' are actually more connected basements for the most part and would not be able to be modified for transit.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:06 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I agree, the MAX is terribly slow and terribly popular. When the next MAX line opens, Milwaukie, it will make our system surpass MUNI Metro in SF to take 2nd place for ridership in the US.

We will definitely need a subway through the central city then. At least another river crossing, and it will probably be cost effective to dig a tunnel at that point.

Hopefully, we will keep our TBM's we are using for the Portland Big Pipe project on hand, as they have 22' tunnel diameters. But who knows.

Rosie the TBM:

(city of portland)

Oh, from what I've read about a future SW Portland > Tigard MAX line, it will probably have to be tunneled, at least through the West Hills. Grade is pretty steep for trains.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Karma Police

A tunnel is very likely. It makes a lot of sense for MAX to avoid Barbur as it climbs the hill towards Terwilliger because widening the ROW there on the side of the hill would be extremely expensive. Tunneling that stretch from the start of Barbur to just past Terwilliger could even be cheaper than trying to run MAX at grade. It would also allow direct access to the center of Hillsdale, which is a designated Town Center targeted for higher densities, while Barbur has almost no room for significant development until you get to Terwilliger. Beyond Terwilliger, the ROW is much wider and easier to accommodate light rail at grade, plus there are plenty of development opportunities along Barbur between Terwilliger and Tigard.

Tunneling has actually gotten cheaper as technology has improved. Yes, it still is typically more than a parallel surface alignment, but not always. Especially when there is challenging geography and/or constricted ROWs, as is the case in the West Hills.

I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to buy our own TBMs or if it's just easier to lease them. Also, 22' may not be the right diameter for light rail. A smaller diameter may be sufficient and create less dirt to be hauled off.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 8:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
If you're talking about changing the spelling of a word, that's called a spelling correction, not a grammar correction. Just clarifying, since English majors I know would get upset if someone mixed up spelling and grammar - which concerns parts of speech, verb tenses, prepositions and the like. Not trying to sound anal about this, but I just figured you were unaware of the mistake you making.

Well thank you for that correction, but people from Pittsburgh do get annoyed by that mistake and I don't blame them.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
The 'Shanghai Tunnels' are actually more connected basements for the most part and would not be able to be modified for transit.
Thats *kind of* what I was thinking, but was unsure if the space was more open (I've never taken the "tour"), or more like basements. I suppose that answers my question

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure