HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I mean hey, I'd donate $100 or maybe more if the perk was I got one free night in the hotel.
Then again, SLS would never do that.
They'll never make a dollar if they don't think of something. I like your idea. Maybe they can have the hotel equivalent of the Eagles "Stadium Builders License." In return we get a number of free/discounted nights.

In all seriousness, there are so many ways of doing things in the private sector that relying on government money should be the last resort. If this thing truly wouldn't fly without public money, and was planned as contingent on public money, that's a problem.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:21 AM

Q4 2017 start date for this according to the Center City District report:
http://centercityphila.org/uploads/a...2017-final.pdf

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:06 PM

^ Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believe.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I think we need Jesus to help us out at this point.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I think we need Jesus to help us out at this point.
St. Rita of Cascia is just down Broad. Patroness of lost causes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I think we have a good reason to call the pope over for a second time.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I think we have a good reason to call the pope over for a second time.
They could secure a 20 block area around the SLS site until the Commonwealth forks over.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:52 PM

Quote:
We could call in St Jude, patron saint of desperate situations.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it good or foolish that people still think this proposal has some viability to it, even though we clearly think this one is dead?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:56 PM

Yeah, Fuck you, too. Fuck me? Fuck you, Fuck this whole city and everyone in it. Fuck the luxury condos and overpriced rents and cheap value engineered cladding. Fuck the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gekko wannabe motherfuckers, disseminating beautiful renderings with the bait-n-switch or economically unviable developments.

Fuck the NIMBY, civic design committee, planning and zoning boards, and neighborhood groups, with their waxed up bureaucratic red tape and pumped up review processes.

Fuck the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, fuck JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years on South Broad, J!

- Monty Brogan

Last edited by Schmidt519; Apr 28, 2017 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
We could call in St Jude, patron saint of desperate situations.
He crossed my mind too.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
The perfect statement about this proposal. That and "don't hold your breath"

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 12:14 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

OMG!! You guys are cracking me up!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt519 View Post
Yeah, Fuck you, too. Fuck me? Fuck you, Fuck this whole city and everyone in it. Fuck the luxury condos and overpriced rents and cheap value engineered cladding. Fuck the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gekko wannabe motherfuckers, disseminating beautiful renderings with the bait-n-switch or economically unviable developments.

Fuck the NIMBY, civic design committee, planning and zoning boards, and neighborhood groups, with their waxed up bureaucratic red tape and pumped up review processes.

Fuck the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, fuck JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years on South Broad, J!

- Monty Brogan

Consult your family physician for an erection lasting more than four hours .......

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:10 PM
BANNED

well here is some news- sort of- Dranoff has sold this project to focus on his long stalled SLS project. Hopefully there is some truth in this and he can figure out how to get this done if he doesn't get another 19mil from the state- which he will not get.

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#more-3281706

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:02 PM

^^Yes. Scroll a few pages back... I said he was selling the Royal project to focus on SLS. He also handed over development rights for the apartments project in Camden which is a part of the LPT Waterfront project.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
They'll never make a dollar if they don't think of something. I like your idea. Maybe they can have the hotel equivalent of the Eagles "Stadium Builders License." In return we get a number of free/discounted nights.

In all seriousness, there are so many ways of doing things in the private sector that relying on government money should be the last resort. If this thing truly wouldn't fly without public money, and was planned as contingent on public money, that's a problem.
Although this post is older, I'd agree with you. Why can't they crowdfund this or something to get it off the ground? I've contributed to smaller projects like to the tune of $100,000 for an equity stake. Maybe their larger investors refuse to entertain something like that even though they themselves won't make up the funding deficit.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
well here is some news- sort of- Dranoff has sold this project to focus on his long stalled SLS project. Hopefully there is some truth in this and he can figure out how to get this done if he doesn't get another 19mil from the state- which he will not get.

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#more-3281706
It's definitely good that he puts so much heart toward this project. But yet, I don't understand how he can be so positive about such a lost cause.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
It's definitely good that he puts so much heart toward this project. But yet, I don't understand how he can be so positive about such a lost cause.
I don't think it's a lost cause. I think that One Riverside should get some nice cash flow going for him, and when the state and other investors see how well it turns out, they might be more eager to throw some money his way.

And hey, if you have as much determination and efficacy as Dranoff, anything is possible.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:02 PM

From 8 floor plans to 18, Dranoff reflects on One Riverside as he prepares for next project

Quote:
With One Riverside nearly completed and residents starting to move in, Dranoff is beginning to turn his attention to his next Center City project, the SLS International, a project Dranoff is doing in partnership with SBE Entertainment Group. The $250 million development is almost 423,000 square feet and will be 562 feet tall at the corner of South Broad Street and Spruce Street.

“It will be the biggest, tallest, most expensive project I’ve ever done,” Dranoff said. “Our goal is the build an absolute iconic trophy building.”

The SLS would have 140 hotel rooms and 90 condominiums down from 123, a corner bar and restaurant, outdoor garden as well as street-level retail. In addition, the building is planned to have a rooftop lounge, 25-meter lap swimming pool and a 6,000-square-foot ballroom that overlooks the Kimmel Center for Performing Arts.

The project has been dormant for three years while the developer worked on getting a $20 million state subsidy from the Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program to help support the project. So far, just $1 million has been secured and Dranoff is hopeful to get the remainder later this year.

Dranoff has been here before. He waited years for state funding for One Ardmore Place and went through multiple other hurdles for that project that he initially proposed back in 2008. It wasn’t until this past March that construction on that development started.

Without the financial aid, SLS is going to be a challenging project to get done even though the concept of a duel hotel-condo project is in demand, Dranoff said. “It’s a combination needed and wanted in Philadelphia and it’s the most bull’s eye location in Philadelphia,” he said.

Mark Wade, a real estate agent with Berkshire Hathaway Fox & Roach and an expert on the Center City condo market, agrees the SLS project will work and find buyers for its units. One reason is that it's located at Spruce Street, which is a quintessential residential street in Philadelphia, Wade said. There’s also demand for condominiums at all price ranges — from the super high-end such as Dranoff’s One Riverside and SLS project and Scannapieco Development Corp.’s 500 Walnut to the more modestly priced units at $1 million and below.

“What I find to be the most interesting is Philadelphia is a sea of Toyotas and Mercedes and what’s coming down the pike is Bentleys,” Wade said. “The properties Dranoff and Scannapieco are putting out there are definitely going to feed the market. The demand is there.”

If the state funding comes through, Dranoff is hopeful to move forward with developing SLS by the end of the year. The project will take up to three years to build out.

“We need another project because we’re almost done here,” he said.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...uce-broad.html

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

I have zero faith in this project and I'm entirely opposed to RCA funds going to this. This is a luxury hotel and luxury condos? Why should we be subsidizing development for rich people with taxpayer dollars? That money should go to development in areas that really need the money to "get over the hurdle" to allow for private development. Clearly you can make a hotel concept work here - see Pearl Properties Cambria Hotel just a block up Broad, and that's targeting a less wealthy demographic. So what's the deal? Why can't he make the numbers work?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive