HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:59 PM

Developers soon to break ground on million-dollar Cherry Creek condos

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:24 PM

^Interesting project and more ritzy density to Cherry Creek.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
In this article, they say "This location is walking distance to Cherry Creek and all of the Cherry Creek amenities, but it’s far enough away that we could create a little oasis that isn’t right in the heart of the hustle and bustle."

On Alameda? That's a nice way to spin traffic noise.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionForm View Post
In this article, they say "This location is walking distance to Cherry Creek and all of the Cherry Creek amenities, but it’s far enough away that we could create a little oasis that isn’t right in the heart of the hustle and bustle."

On Alameda? That's a nice way to spin traffic noise.

Haha good point, though I suppose for evenings after rush hour Alameda at that point isn't so bad. But to your point, since much of Cherry Creek is a pretty quiet location, along Alameda is more like "some hustle and bustle" in the hear of a quiet oasis.

But it a new CONDO development, noise or not!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 8:13 PM

I seen with me own eyes where Ryan did an update on the Foxy Moxy

It occurred to me that some might be dying to see what the finished product will look like. Amirite?

The first-in-the-country Moxy opened little over a year ago in Tempe AZ. They clearly like good locations as that one is 3 blocks from Mill Ave and will be on the new streetcar line that goes down Mill Ave.

Not to me but I'll assume this appeals to their target market.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 9:20 PM

Ahh yes, the love strong, worry less, laugh often print. Was this hotel decorated by a 45 year old mom of three kids?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 11:39 PM

Image courtesy Marriott

Image courtesy JOHNSON NATHAN STROHE architects

Coming Monday: An affordable Cherry Creek hotel for the communal-minded
November 1st 2017 by Ed Sealover - DBJ
Quote:
When the Moxy Denver Cherry Creek opens on Monday, the upscale neighborhood will have its first hotel that features a communal ironing room, replaces its front desk with a check-in station at the lobby bar and offers 180-square-foot rooms that encourage guests by their design to spend more of their time in group gathering areas.
By now everybody knows how the Moxy got its name (but I can remind the uninformed) but why did we go the Moxy route?
Quote:
Matt Joblon — CEO of Denver-based BMC Investments, which owns the eight-floor property — said he wanted to work with a brand that offered an affordable price point in Cherry Creek North and that also is thinking beyond current travel trends to what business travelers will want in 10 years.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 9:18 PM

Well now we know the answer for why Safeway is leaving Cherry Creek.

Macy's is claiming the space for their furniture store. Somewhat of an underwhelming use of the space.

On the other hand Macy's moving out of the west end of the mall (and Bed and Bath moving) apparently sets the table for a major redevelopment on the east side. Condos? Retail? Hotel? Wasn't there a rumour somewhere that Four Seasons will build a second Denver hotel on site?

https://www.denverite.com/denver-cou...-center-45521/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 10:21 PM

Here's some interesting slides from the article:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Here's some interesting slides from the article:

I missed the news on Whole Foods, Sears. Not sure I understand the slide - is Crate and Barrel moving? Does that mean Crate and Barrel will occupy the current site of Whole Foods (between 1st and 2nd on University)? Where will the "new" Whole Foods store be? Perhaps as part of the re-developed Sears site?

Construction in Spring of 2018, that will be another really big project!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Macy's is claiming the space for their furniture store. Somewhat of an underwhelming use of the space.

On the other hand Macy's moving out of the west end of the mall (and Bed and Bath moving) apparently sets the table for a major redevelopment on the east side. Condos? Retail? Hotel? Wasn't there a rumour somewhere that Four Seasons will build a second Denver hotel on site?

Gawd, how happy can people be that they traded a grocer for a furniture store? I assume they needed to accommodate Macy's and that the use has a time stamp on it?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:30 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

So Civica Cherry Creek is looking great. The brick and glass is a really good addition to CCN.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/1...-update-7.html

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:53 PM

Thanks for the eye candy.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 10:54 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Per the presentation sides shown above: Whole Foods/Sears redevelopment - 1,300 underground parking spaces.

According to this very informative document...

https://casestudies.uli.org/wp-conte...se-Studies.pdf

...the current Clayton Lane project includes 1,647 parking spaces, located as follows:

- An above-grade, four-level parking structure with 458 spaces. The first two levels of the structure, completed in Phase I, are wrapped in retail shops and restaurants.

- A parking garage with three levels and 529 spaces, located beneath the Janus building and JW Marriott hotel.

- A four-level underground parking garage on the west side of Clayton Lane with 495 spaces.

- A street-level parking lot at Whole Foods with 147 spaces.

- Street parking on Clayton Lane, with 18 spaces (self-service parking-receipt kiosks accept credit cards).

I wonder how many of the 458 and 495 and 147 spaces will be replaced by or are counted within the 1,300 spaces, or if it will be a net increase (god forbid!) of 1,300 spaces.

Of course, the more parking you provide, the more traffic you generate. The intersection of 1st & University is supposedly the city's busiest intersection. So any increase in the number of parking spaces will only make traffic in Cherry Creek worse. An enlightened developer would reduce the amount of parking and then take the money they would have spent on more parking and use that to subsidize some form of public transit (free shuttle to/from downtown, EcoPasses for all employees, free transit day-passes for customers, etc.).

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 10:55 PM

Not sure if this one has been discussed on this thread.....

Looks like a cool little project about to get underway.

https://crej.com/news/bmc-bow-river-...-2727-detroit/

Earlier DP article discussing the sale of the land:

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/15...redevelopment/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:23 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

^ Just posted it on DenverInfill. It's a great looking project!

2nd and Detroit

Old Building:

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Nov 21, 2017 at 5:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:52 PM

This isn't directly related to Ken's comment, but it got me thinking... I've been curious recently if there are any city or business district sponsored parking districts in the metro area outside of Boulder that are tied directly to development? I'm pretty sure Denver doesn't have anything like Boulder's CAGID, but it's actually a bit surprising because the model can work so well. I was helping an architect friend work out a site plan for a small-lot infill design the other day, and it really is eye-opening the way that parking requirements trickle down into all aspects of things.

For those who don't know how it works in Downtown Boulder, the public garages that visitors find near Pearl Street are owned and operated by the General Improvement District, and spaces inside are deeded to nearby offices and residences. This "un-bundling" of parking from development allows for re-use of historic buildings and small-scale infill without requiring new structured parking. Some colleagues of mine also believe it prevented the wholesale demolition of the historic business district to create surface parking near the mall (likely on Walnut and Spruce), which was often seen around new pedestrian malls elsewhere in America in the 70s and 80s. Leftover spaces in the garages are sold by the hour, or are free on evening/weekends/holidays to promote shopping, and parking revenue (including on-street) in the district helps subsidize an EcoPass for employees and residents in the district (which drives down demand for parking to well below the regional average - a nice positive feedback loop).

This seems like a natural strategy to try elsewhere in urban neighborhoods like Cherry Creek, TOD districts such as at Stapleton, or the Old Towns (e.g. Littleton, Arvada, even Downtown Golden). Of course this is more about parking minimums and smaller developments - if such a parking district were in place in Cherry Creek, I'm not sure if it would change the thinking of large retail developments like Clayton Lane or Cherry Creek Mall itself. But it plays into Ken's observation that parking financing can be redirected into plans and programs that reduce parking demand in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:40 PM

Brookfield buys Clayton Lane redeveloper OliverMcMillan
By Douglas Sams and Denver Business Journal Staff – Denver Business Journal
Feb 7, 2018,
Quote:
Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. on Tuesday confirmed it acquired OliverMcMillan LLC, the San Diego firm that is planning to redevelop Denver's tony Clayton Lane shopping complex.

It pairs Brookfield Residential, the North American residential arm of global private equity giant Brookfield Asset Management (NYSE: BAM), with OliverMcMillan's development portfolio, which includes ongoing projects in cities such as Denver, Houston and Nashville, along with several others.
Brookfield is well familiar with Denver. Under the same umbrella, Brookfield Properties has two of Denver's biggest office towers in its portfolio with the Republic Plaza and 1801 California Street.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:58 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Brookfield is well familiar with Denver. Under the same umbrella, Brookfield Properties has two of Denver's biggest office towers in its portfolio with the Republic Plaza and 1801 California Street.
Brookfield Properties has never developed a property in Denver- only enhancing already-built developments. They have proposed a couple, but ended up getting cold feet. After this, and what sounds like a forthcoming acquisition of Forest City, they'll have interests in two large-scale redevelopments in Denver. It will be interesting to see what they will do with skin in the game much earlier in the real estate development process.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West