HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:17 PM

Nice... I don't know if they will hit 60,000 as intended, but that's impressive.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:13 PM
BANNED

We went to the 2009 CONCACAF match vs Santos and it was a blast! The attendance was 55,571.

These Mexican fans were hilarious. They would run down to the ULTRAS, wave their flags, and be chanted away. Great fun.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
ハルウララ

Really looking forward to Saturday's match in Montreal. Even if they don't hit 60,000, having 50,000 out for an MLS match is a big deal. I would imagine Montreal would have similar crowds when TFC and Whitecaps come to town, yes?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post
We went to the 2009 CONCACAF match vs Santos and it was a blast! The attendance was 55,571.
[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5226CONCACAF1.jpg

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5297CONCACAF1.jpg

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5340CONCACAF1.jpg

These Mexican fans were hilarious. They would run down to the ULTRAS, wave their flags, and be chanted away. Great fun.
[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5202CONCACAF1.jpg

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5204CONCACAF1.jpg

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5216CONCACAF1.jpg

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5207CONCACAF1.jpg

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/Habfanman/Impact/CONCACAF/IMG_5333CONCACAF1.jpg

So you thought you could sneak back into SSP unnoticed? You aren't very good at hiding your tracks, Habsfanman.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 2:56 AM

It's halftime and so far Toronto FC is winning 1 - 0 against LA Galaxy.

Just like the last game TFC had the lead until LA got their act together and tied the game.
Let's see how this one ends up.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:57 AM

Oh man!!! TFC just eliminated LA Galaxy and advances to the Concacaf Champions Semifinals!
Toronto FC 2 - 1 LA Galaxy

Last edited by MexiQuebecois; Mar 15, 2012 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 5:33 AM
Go Chiefs!

Nice, I remember the Impact going to the CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QuarterFinals despite being in a lower division. It was absolutely crazy. Too bad we blew a 3 goals goals lead in the last 5 minutes or else we would have gone to Semis.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Nice, I remember the Impact going to the CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QuarterFinals despite being in a lower division. It was absolutely crazy. Too bad we blew a 3 goals goals lead in the last 5 minutes or else we would have gone to Semis.

Yeah I remember that game, it was epic.

BTW TFC actually advanced to the Semifinals. My mistake.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 8:00 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Yeah I remember that game, it was epic.

BTW TFC actually advanced to the Semifinals. My mistake.
And they'll play Santos Laguna, the same team that eliminated us.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 11:19 PM

54,000 tickets sold... Not sure they will hit 60,000 but this is going to be close.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:40 AM

I say 57-58 thousand.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:33 AM

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Go Impact!

Then Sounders vs TFC in the evening. Woot!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Go Impact!

Then Sounders vs TFC in the evening. Woot!
That last game will be a good comparison to see how TFC is doing, since Santos just eliminated Seattle. It might help to determine how Toronto will fare against Santos.

I see you live in Calgary. What do you think are the chances of Calgary ever getting a MLS team? I'd say they could very well have a team in the near future. The best way for turning Canada into a soccer powerhouse is by expanding into different cities across the country and develop local talent. I keep my hopes up!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:33 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Maybe by the time we're hitting 1.5 million? I really don't know what the support would be like right now. I'd definitely be an instant fan of a Calgary MLS franchise.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Maybe by the time we're hitting 1.5 million? I really don't know what the support would be like right now. I'd definitely be an instant fan of a Calgary MLS franchise.
Cities with a large immigrant population (Particularly from soccer-crazy countries) make it a lot more feasible. I don't think Calgary would have a problem to sell out 25,000 tickets every two weeks or so.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
That last game will be a good comparison to see how TFC is doing, since Santos just eliminated Seattle. It might help to determine how Toronto will fare against Santos.

I see you live in Calgary. What do you think are the chances of Calgary ever getting a MLS team? I'd say they could very well have a team in the near future. The best way for turning Canada into a soccer powerhouse is by expanding into different cities across the country and develop local talent. I keep my hopes up!
I would absolutely love to have an MLS team here.. I would seriously get season tickets. Don't know if it will happen anytime soon though. We would need a nice stadium, McMahon is a pile of shit and horrible for soccer. There could be enough support but I won't get my hopes up. Sounders and Impact for me for the time being. And Man U..

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:47 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
And Man U..
Nice!

I haven't really focused on MLS before, but now that Canada has three teams, I'm sure it will be on TV all the time, and I'll watch a fair bit.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Nice!

I haven't really focused on MLS before, but now that Canada has three teams, I'm sure it will be on TV all the time, and I'll watch a fair bit.
Yep, me too. Been watching as much TFC and Whitecaps as I can. Having three teams now is awesome. And seeing the big crowds in Vancouver and Toronto going absolutely nuts seriously gives me goose bumps. Montreal tomorrow is going to be crazy! So awesome seeing this explosion of soccer here. Its been a long time coming, more kids play soccer in Canada than Hockey, its only a matter of time till we are pumping out some serious talent.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:00 AM
Go Chiefs!

Close to 60,000 will be at the big O... looking forward to the game.

The Impact might beat the CONCACAF record vs Santos.

Quote:
Olympic Stadium hosted a CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final game pitting the Montreal Impact – who play primarily in the adjacent Stade Saputo – against Club Santos Laguna of the Mexican First Division on February 25, 2009. This was the first time an international soccer game took place in Montreal during the winter months. The Impact won 2–0 in front of a record crowd of 55,571
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...%28Montreal%29

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 6:10 PM

Here we go!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada