HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
They don't have to add affordable housing but they can if they want 20% added space. I forget if its FAR or square feet total but it seems like a decent trade.

OT but Bdb having to force projects to include affordable housing is scary to say the least. And the 50/30/20 model is even more frightening.
He's not "forcing" developers to add affordable housing, a developer can build any tower he wants as of right but if he wants to build bigger he can if he adds affordable housing, which is a good trade off considering the shortage we have in the city.
I'm more bothered by those Nimbys like that annoying Gayle Brewer who just rails against anything tall.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Keep in mind that the affordable housing doesn't have to be on site.
That's a relief!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:36 AM
New Yorker for life

I hope the design is something that really works with the bridge. For me, it's as iconic, image-wise as the Brooklyn Bridge. Either way, the building itself is going to stand out.

D700-1.8

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 12:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/20...ell-tower.html

Two Bridges Teams Up With Developer For Project Alongside Extell Tower

235-247 Cherry St

By Ed Litvak
June 20, 2014

Quote:
The massive new luxury tower from Extell Development at the former Cherry Street Pathmark site has been stealing a lot of local headlines lately. But it’s not the only new project brewing in the immediate vicinity.

This afternoon, we’re taking a look at a neighboring parcel that once housed the Pathmark pharmacy. At a community meeting this week, Extell’s Gary Barnett said his firm is in talks with the owner and hopes to develop a project there. But the owner of the lot tells us today there are no ongoing conversations because a deal is in the works with another partner.

First, here’s specifically what Barnett said the other night when asked about his plans for the site:

We don’t control the space. We have a lease on a portion of the space. So we don’t have any plans on that yet. We’re talking to the people who own the other space. We’d like to see if we can find a way to build a building… (But there would need to be) input from a number of parties, so I don’t know if it ever happens, but it could happen.

The parcel, known as 235-247 Cherry St., is co-owned by the Two Bridges Neighborhood Council and Settlement Housing Fund. This morning, Two Bridges President Victor Papa said, “Extell had expressed interest in acquiring the site. We had to beg off because we’re in contract with another entity, and we’re obliged not to talk with other parties.”

Roy Schoenberg of Cherry Street LLC confirmed today that his company is partnering with Two Bridges for a new building on the site. Papa and Schoenberg said they could not discuss details — including the number of units and the size of the project — since they’re in the midst of working out the fine points.

Two Bridges and Settlement Housing Fund co-sponsored the development of the Two Bridges Urban Renewal Area. The last piece of that initiative is meant to be the creation of at least 70 units of affordable housing at 235-237 Cherry. The project will almost certainly include some market rate housing, in addition to the affordable units. The lot is 11,800 square feet.

This week, Barnett said his luxury tower would rise to about 60 stories and include around 800 apartments. A separate 13-story building containing 204 affordable units is also part of the plan. In 2012, Barnett purchased the Pathmark site for $150 million from Cherry Street LLC, Mr. Schoenberg’s company. He also bought Pathmark’s long-term lease at 235 Cherry.

One other related note. During this past Wednesday night’s event, Barnett said Extell intended to eventually transfer management and ownership of the affordable building over to a community-based non-profit organization. When asked whether Two Bridges Neighborhood Council is interested, Papa said, “we would take Mr. Barnett up on that offer” because it’s “within our expertise and interest.”

Papa added that Extell has been very responsive in dealing with issues that have come up during the demolition of the Pathmark building. Residents in Two Bridges Tower, adjacent to the Extell site, have complained about noise and other problems from the use of heavy equipment. “They have been a very good neighbor in the community,” he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:50 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
A separate 13-story building containing 204 affordable units is also part of the plan.
Now that's a relief!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 1:00 PM
New Yorker for life

http://observer.com/2014/06/separate...c-segregation/

Separate and Unequal: In Defense of Extell’s Latest Foray into Economic Segregation

By Chris Pomorski
06/23/14

Quote:
The put-upon postures that New York City developers often adopt, seemingly by habit, in the face of populist complaint can be rather distasteful: Creating Jobs; Housing the Masses; Shaping the Skyline. We get it: Ask not what your developer can do for you, ask what you can do for your developer! Extell CEO Gary Barnett can be particularly blustery in his self-regard.

But in the case of the Extell project planned for a site encompassing 250 South Street and 229 Cherry Street, which is to include a 68-story market rate condo tower and a separate, much smaller affordable rental building, we find ourselves siding with Mr. Barnett, who reportedly took a shelling for the separate and unequal nature of the development last week at a meeting of Community Board 3.

In reaction to spirited charges of “economic segregation,” Mr. Barnett and a business-formal team apparently remained impassive. (Extell, after all, is even now in the midst of construction at 1 Riverside Park, where the much-ballyhooed “poor door” will be in use.) Securing financing for a single mixed-income tower would not have been feasible, the developer said: “We don’t live in a perfect world.”

Much as that might have sounded like a familiar blend of callousness and corporate obfuscation, Mr. Barnett’s explanation actually made pretty good sense. Speaking with the Observer by phone, an executive at a leading New York multifamily lending institution (who did not want to be identified) said that splitting the luxury condo portion of the development from the affordable rentals will grant Extell the possibility of creating two entirely different products, allowing Mr. Barnett to maximize profits at the site and, in turn, making him more amenable toward building affordable housing.

“There are buildings that have some condo properties on top,” the lender said. “But I can’t think of any that are primarily for sale and that have a smaller affordable rental component. This will allow [Mr. Barnett] to build the affordable units at a much lower dollar-per-square-foot rate. You can’t build 90 percent of the building with really high ceilings and then change the structure totally for that smaller portion. This makes the affordable units much easier to deliver at a reasonable price for the developer. It’s more cost effective to market and sell, and anything better for the project’s economics is better for the lending side.”

Some part of that increased ease of marketing may well arise from just the kind of segregation the plan’s critics have in mind. Still, Extell’s affordable Cherry Street building, whose prices will range from $833 per month for a studio to $1,082 a month for a two bedroom, is hardly anything to sneer at.The Dattner Architects’ plan for the facility includes a yoga room and a fitness center, a rooftop garden and a tenant lounge. It is difficult, in this case, to understand just what it is that Mr. Barnett’s opponents object to.

“You know, the city wants to build so many affordable units,” the lender said. “It doesn’t say they all have to be luxury. Here, this is is the best way to do it. There’s a cost consideration, and at a certain point the developer moves ahead or doesn’t move ahead. The lower that cost can be, the greater the chance is that he’ll want to proceed.”

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:29 AM
Mr. Technology

A world-class building cannot mix affordable housing simply because it would lower the property value and be a threat to the luxury buyers who can simply select another competing tower.

You can't demand top dollar in a mixed-use building, it just doesn't work!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 5:08 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.boweryboogie.com/2014/07/...-project-site/

Extell Begins Excavation Work at Cherry Street Project Site

July 8th, 2014 by Elie

Quote:
A month after Extell’s Gary Barnett tried to curry favor of the locals with the “I’m one of you” group session, there is now some construction activity to report at the Cherry Street project site. The one-story Pathmark supermarket is no longer a concern, while a pair of Davey Drills test the soil ahead of pile driving. Two new buildings are in the works for the riverside property – a 68-story market rate tower, and a 13-story affordable housing residence.

Project management company Lend Lease distributed the following update to the community on behalf of Extell:

The excavation and foundation contractor will mobilize this week to start a test pile program which is expected to take a number of weeks.

Lend Lease will take every measure to ensure that work will be performed safely. Lend Lease personnel will continually monitor site conditions and work being performed to ensure that there are minimal disruptions, to the extent possible, to the community.

As we reported last month, Extell is laser-focused on the affordable housing component of its multi-million-dollar development. Plans include a separate 13-story building at 229 Cherry Street specifically for low-income tenants, with designer Datter Architects on board. The residential composition of this structure is 205 total units (50% earmarked for residents) broken down as follows: (1) 49 studios, (2) 50 1BR’s, (3) 105 2BR’s, and (4) 1 spot for the super. The base of both buildings will incorporate both a supermarket and drug store.

Neighbors are none too pleased with the “separate but equal” situation between the two buildings.

Extell hopes to have both buildings constructed in three-and-a-half years.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 1:22 AM

"Neighbors are none too pleased with the “separate but equal” situation between the two buildings."

Awesome. Revolting entitlement with just a hint of racial overtone.

Maybe Burnett can give me the following items because I'm just "separate but equal"

A Rolex to replace my Seiko. After all, how can I be considered an equal member of society if my watch isn't made from 18k gold?

A Mercedes to replace my Honda. My Honda doesn't have power seats, and how unfair is it that I can't afford a car that does?

A better job. Because after all, I deserve it.

An attractive girlfriend. I saw a guy with a hottie on his arm yesterday and thought to myself; "rather than work to get to the point where I can attract those kinds of women, I'm going to bitch and moan about how I deserve other people's cash. Life is like a J.G. Wentworth commercial...it's my money and I need it NOW!"

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
"Neighbors are none too pleased with the “separate but equal” situation between the two buildings."

Awesome. Revolting entitlement with just a hint of racial overtone.

It's more of a class issue than a racial one. Remember the uproar over Extell's "poor door" on the Upper West Side? Same thing. What they are losing sight of is the number of units that will be there that weren't there before. Extell could let the lot sit empty for a decade, see how they like it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 10:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This will add spice to that area. I'm hoping more developments sprout around that area. Maybe this will serve as a catalyst. Anybody whos walked that area would agree that its gloomy.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's more of a class issue than a racial one. Remember the uproar over Extell's "poor door" on the Upper West Side? Same thing. What they are losing sight of is the number of units that will be there that weren't there before. Extell could let the lot sit empty for a decade, see how they like it.
I think the affordable housing tenants are the real winners here as they will see Midtown skyline while the owners will get lame water "views".

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I think the affordable housing tenants are the real winners here as they will see Midtown skyline while the owners will get lame water "views".
No, the tenants in the taller towers will get the better Midtown views, as well as the better water/bridge views. There's a reason the affordable units aren't going to the top.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

They've filed updated plans, though the height is still listed as 800 ft. There will be 790 total units in the development.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES456013576

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, the tenants in the taller towers will get the better Midtown views, as well as the better water/bridge views. There's a reason the affordable units aren't going to the top.
Oops I meant for the UWS building complex. I'm not sure how this comment ended up here,

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Apparently this tower will have an official height of 847 ft. Nice bump.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 2:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Permit filed for the affordable housing portion of the development...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
FILED HEREWITH ARCHITECTURAL PLANS FOR FILING OF 13 STORY NEW BUILDING AS PER PLANS FILED.

Building Height (ft.): 140
Building Stories: 13
Dwelling Units: 205

Last look at it...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Full approval was granted for construction permits for the main tower today. Expect some type of renders soon.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Full approval was granted for construction permits for the main tower today. Expect some type of renders soon.
Great news, looking forward to it.

That affordable portion on the other hand, woooof. Pretty bad

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
That affordable portion on the other hand, woooof. Pretty bad

Good thing about that is that it won't be highly visible. The main tower on the other hand, at 847 ft, is nearly the height of Trump World Tower, with no direct competition. So it will loom highly visible from a lot of locations. I hope its a good design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive