HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 7:05 PM

Daquan13, you have your towers reversed. They failed to turn over the land for towers 3 & 4 on January 1st, therefore the late payment penalty. They'll have until July 1st to turn over the land for T2 or again they'll be paying the penalty.

Having said that, from the web cam perspective, it's hard to see if they are doing much of anything at T3 & T4. According to the published schedule, they only have about another 5 months to complete the T3/4 foundations!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realthang View Post
Daquan13, you have your towers reversed. They failed to turn over the land for towers 3 & 4 on January 1st, therefore the late payment penalty. They'll have until July 1st to turn over the land for T2 or again they'll be paying the penalty.

Having said that, from the web cam perspective, it's hard to see if they are doing much of anything at T3 & T4. According to the published schedule, they only have about another 5 months to complete the T3/4 foundations!
They may still be on target. I'm sure the foundation won't take nearly as long as the Freedom Tower took before it begins to rise above ground.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realthang View Post

Isn't or wasn't Tower 2 supposed to be the next one started after the Freedom Tower? That's what I read a while back at least.

In any case, yes, they ARE slowing things down over there.

Jayden, these towers are slated to be about as tall as the Empire State Building, if not taller, so they'll still be very massive in stature, which means that the foundation work may be just as long, complex and complicated.

Last edited by Daquan13; Mar 2, 2008 at 10:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
the foundation work may be just as complex and complicated.
there isn't a subway line running through a corner of the foundation though, like in the FT

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
there isn't a subway line running through a corner of the foundation though, like in the FT

In the area surrounding the memorial under the first half of Ground Zero.

It's been relocated form the way that it used to run around - under and through the infrastucture of the Twins before the terror attacks.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Isn't or wasn't Tower 2 supposed to be the next one started after the Freedom Tower?
The order is T1, T3/T4, T2, and some day T5. Actually, when I mentioned only five months to go, I was referring to someone who chastised me for being negative because I stated that I didn't believe, given the history of the site, that they could complete the foundation for T3 or T4 in six months. Personally, I would like nothing better than for them to stay on their announced schedule. Little did I imagine 2 years ago when I started following the building of T1 that in March 2008 the building would still be below street level.

As I understand it, the foundation work for T2/T3/T4 should be reasonably normal, unlike the challenges of T1.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 3:53 PM
BANNED

I just think that that's kind of a backwards-ass way of doing it.

When the Twins were being built, they started with the North Tower first, then the South Tower.

In fact, the NT was about a third of the way up before construction on the ST began.

The only thing that would make me think the reason that Tower 2 isn't being started yet is that the old stairs from the former WTC still might be sitting in that spot - and EVEN THAT is still a lame excuse.

This is just backward thinking to me, either way you spell it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:17 PM

^^How is it backward? I don't see your logic, just because one building is numbered lower than another it should be built first? This isn't first grade logic here. The slurry wall was completeld first on the southern side and the northern end (Tower 2) was used to transport dump trucks in and out of the site. Does it still seem backwards to you?

Oh yea, there is still a PATH tracks running tourgh the Freedom Tower Foundations. It is the only reason it is taking longer. Just look jhust north of the core, you'll see a structure, udner which the PATH trains curl around back to New Jersey.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
^^How is it backward? I don't see your logic, just because one building is numbered lower than another it should be built first? This isn't first grade logic here. The slurry wall was completeld first on the southern side and the northern end (Tower 2) was used to transport dump trucks in and out of the site. Does it still seem backwards to you?

Oh yea, there is still a PATH tracks running tourgh the Freedom Tower Foundations. It is the only reason it is taking longer. Just look jhust north of the core, you'll see a structure, udner which the PATH trains curl around back to New Jersey.

For months everyone, or at least almost everyone, was lead to believe that Tower 2 would be the next one started after the Freedom Tower. The slurry wall should have been done in THAT spot first.

Since T2 is the 2nd tallest structure on the land, to me, it seemed only fitting to get that one going so that it would be the next neighoring tower standing next to the Freedom Tower.

You've got your wires crossed a bit on the PATH tracks. I never once said that the tracks aren't running through the Freedom Tower's infrastucture.

Two years back, I was one of the first ones to post an article stating that the tracks in that area would be slightly moved over to allow the holes in the bedrock to be made so that the foundation's concrete columns can be put into the bedrock for the tower.

And that the PATH service was closing on weekends so that this work can be done. This was about 1-1/2 months before the tower's construction was officiated by Silverstein. And I already know about the PATH tracks going behind or through the FT's foundation and out to New Jersey. You're not telling me anything new.

And since the slurry wall hasn't been put in on that spot yet, how on earth can they begin constr. on the other towers first? I thought that the whole half of Ground Zero on that side had to be completely sealed off from any water coming from the rivers before any of the towers could be started on that side.

Last edited by Daquan13; Mar 2, 2008 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:10 PM

i think you're making a big deal out of nothing Daquan13 :p

anyways, i leave in almost 12 hours for NYC! :o i'm so excited! i will try to get pics of ground zero construction and post it on here

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Those are my thoughts.

I'm entitled to my own opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 11:14 PM
I am the law!

where is the fifth tower planned? inbetween one and two?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 5:51 AM
BANNED

Where the DBB is now.

The building that had started being dismantled, but was stopped.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 10:46 PM

Exclamation a bit off topic but...

Ok I'm new to these boards and I hope I don't sound too negative with this post but I'm pretty disappointed with the Freedom Tower all the way around. Maybe it's not the Freedom Tower itself. I like the design and think its quite handsome. I like the idea of it being a symbolic 1776 feet tall. yada yada.

Maybe its the american blood in me, but I think a good way to fight terrorism is to show the terrorists who #1 is. They knocked down two of our tallest landmarks. The largest attack on our country since Pearl Harbor (I believe). This served as a catalyst for our operations in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. It sent our country into an economic downturn and rattled the nerves of americans across the country.

As much as I like the idea of the tower being 1776 ft, it takes a mast (spire) to get that high! The roof is only 1368 ft- small change by todays standards. Personally I would have liked to show the terrorists that when they knock down the WTC, we will simply build the tallest skyscraper in the world in its place.... and we'll erect it faster than anyone too. We are the USA. I hope that doesnt sound too imperial but heck just look at the drawings of the freedom tower next to other supertall builidings around the world. It doesn't stand out as anything special! You put the Freedom Tower in Dubai and its just another building.

Those are just really my feelings speaking. Again, I actually like the Freedom Tower and think Tower 2 is even more handsome. I just would have liked to see more from the Freedom Tower. When the Empire St Bldg was erected it held the #1 ranking for forty years. Now that is impressive! The Freedom Tower? Just another cool tall building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 11:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Isn't or wasn't Tower 2 supposed to be the next one started after the Freedom Tower?
A few years back, in the original planning. But that was changed long ago. Tower 2 won't begin until June.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 11:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
And since the slurry wall hasn't been put in on that spot yet, how on earth can they begin constr. on the other towers first? I thought that the whole half of Ground Zero on that side had to be completely sealed off from any water coming from the rivers before any of the towers could be started on that side.
Those towers have their own threads. A little reading will show what's been going on there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 2:46 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Farewell to ‘Freedom’ for a While
By David W. Dunlap
nytimes.com

The “Freedom Tower” column as it appeared last week, surrounded by the plywood form into which concrete will be poured, encasing and protecting the steel. )

The blue “Freedom Tower” legend on the very first column to rise there, visible for the last 14 months on the column’s wide flanges, is covered in plywood forms. It will soon be encased forever in concrete.
George E. Pataki presided over the column-setting ceremony on Dec. 19, 2006, in his final days as governor of New York.
After learning last week that the lettering was now completely obscured, meaning that construction was advancing, Mr. Pataki said, “It is another milestone that continues what I knew would be the case — for all the difficulties, for all the naysayers, the brilliant master plan for downtown would move forward.”
The disappearance of the name “Freedom Tower,” which was Governor Pataki’s coinage, sometimes seems to be more than just a byproduct of construction. The building is increasingly referred to in official documents as 1 World Trade Center.

The “Freedom Tower” column as it appeared on Dec. 19, exactly a year after it had been set in place, when “Freedom” was still visible. “I think the symbolic nature of ‘Freedom Tower’ is meaningful,” Mr. Pataki said on Friday, “but New Yorkers have a way of using, at the end of the day, what they think works best.” (After all, where do you see Sixth Avenue called by its official name, the Avenue of the Americas, except on street signs, corporate letterheads, real estate advertisements and in The New York Times?)
But then Mr. Pataki, whose office was once in the south tower, thought about the matter a bit more and added a personal note.
“One World Trade Center, on one hand, evokes pride in the sense that the trade center is back,” he said. “On the other hand, we’re not going to replace what was there. We’re going to build beyond what was there.
“It is a little troubling to me that again there is a 1 World Trade Center, because a lot of great people and a lot of true heroes died in 1 World Trade Center,” Mr. Pataki said. “I think that name should be reserved, for those who did die on that horrible day.”

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 6:59 AM
BANNED

I'd like to know what they meant when they said "For a while".

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know what they meant when they said "For a while".
It's the New York Times! They're probably just trying TRYING to stir up some controversy?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Yeah, it almost seems as though they might be predicting another 09-11-style attack somday!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive