HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 4:27 PM

Love it or hate it-- Calgary skyline screams home

Love it or hate it-- Calgary skyline screams home
What the city's evolving skyline says about who we are

Jennifer Allford, Calgary Herald
Published: Sunday, January 06, 2008

It disappears and magically reappears while you walk along Nose Hill. Busloads of Japanese tourists stop in Rosedale to take its picture, offset by the magnificence that is the Rocky Mountains. Driving north on Macleod Trail, it emerges suddenly, urgently even, as you ascend from the strip malls and car dealers of Erlton.

There are many different views of the Calgary skyline, and each tells part of the story of the city.

Any TV cameraman or woman will tell you the particular skyline shot they need to tell a certain story: if it's about hockey, the Saddledome is in the foreground; if alluding to the city's prairie roots, you shoot east from Broadcast Hill; many photographers flock to Scotchman's Hill for their money shot.

It seems Calgary's skyline is transformed every time he's looked through the lens over the past 30 years.

"I have shot the skyline so often, in every season, and it's always a little bit different," Genereux says. "There's always a different building -- and that's what the skyline always says to me: Calgary is always changing."

Constant change -- growth -- is, of course, a big part of Calgary's story. Over the decades it's resulted in a variety of shapes, heights, trends, proportions, textures and colours plus at least one structure that elicits a full range of opinions (are you one of those laughing with -- or at -- that stadium shaped like a saddle?).

The collection of buildings crammed between the Bow and Elbow rivers, 14th Street and 17th Avenue in the southwest, has evolved in fits and starts along with the city's economy. Cranes have heralded the booms; plentiful parking lots have told of the busts.

Pat Moore has seen it all.

The legendary community volunteer and self-described "dyed-in-the-wool Calgarian" has watched the skyline grow, even as parts of it have disappeared, for seven decades now.

"I remember the days when the skyline was the Palliser Hotel and the Robin Hood Mill," recalls Moore. "The mill disappeared and I don't know how many people have commented to me over the years about how they miss it."

Moore misses a lot of old buildings that were ripped down in the name of progress. And, she's not too fond of the plain corporate boxes that kept popping up to replace them in the '60s and '70s.

When Moore looks at Calgary's skyline, she sees an impatient teenager who doesn't reflect on the past or look ahead past Saturday night's date.

"We seem to follow the trends, which shows the lack of confidence westerners have. We want to look like Toronto rather than having confidence in who it is we are."

Moore is pleased with the growing aplomb she sees in the more unique shapes that touch the sky -- the Petro-Canada building and Bankers Hall -- and she's looking forward to seeing more interesting silhouettes in the sky as we grow past the teenage years.

The city has attempted to guide development of those silhouettes with plans and policies that date back to the Mawson Plan of 1914 (the grand vision for a "beautiful city" tanked with the economy of the day). The latest document, the 2005 Centre City Plan, sketches out a long-term vision and a number of ideas for developing the city's core.

There are policies to ensure lasting views of green spaces and landmarks; there are Sunlight Preservation Guidelines and a Shadow Sensitive Areas Concept, all meant to help create a "livable, caring and thriving place."

This "What Not to Wear" guide for our gangly teenager recognizes that the peaks and shadows, towers and glass tell a story about who we are. The skyline is a physical manifestation of the expectations and associations people have about the city where they live, work and/or play. The skyline is a big part of what the cool kids call our brand.

Stephanie Jackman, president of Blueprint Brand Strategies, explains: "A brand is the relationship between an entity and its stakeholders and it's created through interactions and personal experiences. Every organization has a brand, whether it is created deliberately or by accident, and a city is no exception."

Jackman sees the thriving economy in the skyline. She sees recreation with the rivers and the Talisman Centre. She sees Stampede Park and a western heritage. Jackman also sees growing pains.

"Calgary's skyline reflects the entrepreneurial spirit and vast opportunities available to a percentage of the population. It also reflects the challenges associated with a traditional city model that concentrates work and housing in different geographies, limiting the access to these opportunities and alienating portions of the population."

Look carefully; you can see difficult commutes to the core, skyrocketing house prices and social inequities in the skyline.

There are about 30,000 people who live downtown and another 120,000 people who work there. By 2025, there will be as many as 70,000 residents and 180,000 workers downtown. That could mean between 16 and 26 shiny new 30-storey towers by 2025.

There are a handful on the books now: Centennial Place I, City Centre I, Jameson Place. The Penny Lane Towers will mimic the mountains to the west. EnCana's Bow Tower will be named for the river. These projects -- conceived and built in an unprecedented boom -- reflect the bravado of the times.

The Encana project in particular has provoked much thumping of the chest.

The 58- storey Bow will trump its neighbour, the Petro-Canada Tower, to become the tallest office building in Canada west of Toronto. The building -- designed by internationally acclaimed architectural firm Foster + Partners -- is widely credited with putting Calgary's skyline on the world architectural map.

Not so fast, says Trevor Boddy, former Calgarian and architecture critic. While he likes the tower's design and concedes it will help define the skyline, he says hiring a big, famous architect isn't nearly as daring as it appears.

"It's easier to buy your reputation than earn one," reflects Boddy. "It's like relying on names when you shop at Holt Renfrew; like not picking by texture colour or fit, but picking by name. It represents insecurity and lack of confidence in innovative architecture more than some breakthrough."

Boddy says Calgary will know it's grown up architecturally when it can support a few provocative local mid-sized firms as well as the existing big corporate firms and the small creative ones.

He says what's already remarkable about Calgary's skyline is reflected not in architect's renderings, but in children's drawings that show impossibly tall towers surrounded by tiny bungalows.

"Calgary's always had a very unusual skyline and I don't know any other place in the world where single-family houses get that close to 40-storey towers."

Boddy hadn't thought much about this unique feature until a cab ride downtown in the 1970s with one of the most famous architects in the world, Rem Koolhaus.

Koolhaus was thrilled at the anomaly of buildings next to bungalows and Boddy recalls their conversation whenever he drives into the Calgary's core.

"Most cities have a belt of older buildings, or warehouses or apartment buildings around the core, but Calgary has that amazing kind of vista down a Kensington street to the wall of towers."

Paul Hardy lives on one of those streets in Kensington. When the acclaimed fashion designer looks across the river at the skyline -- specifically the matching gold and silver towers of Bankers Hall -- he sees commerce and consumerism.

"This is a very consumer-driven city; there is a lot of keeping up with the Joneses and high stress in this town," offers Hardy. "When you look at the skyline, there's almost a spirit of consumption you can see."

But Hardy also sees pure, aesthetic beauty. He likes what he calls "the rhythm of the skyline" particularly from the bluff in Rosedale. In design theory classes at art school, students were taught to squint at objects in order to see their purity.

The skyline passes Hardy's squint test: "When you look across, you see the negative space and it outlines a really nice balance."

Genereux's favourite shot of the skyline is from the Calgary Zoo's south parking lot: the river's in the foreground and the towers loom beyond. The cameraman -- who has spent years working on the road -- always finds Calgary's skyline welcoming: "It doesn't matter which major highway you drive in from or whether you're flying in, the first thing you see is the skyline. And it screams home."

It's a comforting sight.

Even with its teenage angst (complete with bouts of acne, the odd bad tattoo and ill-placed piercing), Calgary's skyline reflects the struggle to cope with the appetites, growing pains and stretch marks that accompany rapid growth.

"Good design always respects the past and reflects the future," adds designer Hardy.

When asked what Calgary's skyline would be if it were an item of clothing, he hesitates only for a second, before offering up, "It would be a clean, crisp, white shirt."

Let's hope our still-growing arms don't poke too far out of the sleeves.

© The Calgary Herald 2008

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 4:59 PM

Nice article, and well written.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

great article

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 6:02 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

"Tallest west of Toronto." Again. Fuck.

"It's easier to buy your reputation than to earn it." Yes, because Boddy's beloved Vancouver would never rely on world-famous architects. Ya know, he reviewed Radiant City in the Globe a while back and I emailed him to correct him when he said "Calgary is the largest city in Canada" (Calgary is 36th, not even close to largest), and in the whole course of our interaction he never once mentioned that he'd ever lived in Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 6:14 PM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
My sentiments exactly. Why is it so fucking hard for someone at the Herald to report this fact correctly? I believe that more than one forumer has emailed the author regarding this matter and even received a reply back. Guess it just doesn't sink in with them.

Edit: The statement is technically correct, but only in the same way that saying "the CN tower is the tallest building in Canada west of Montreal" is correct. As most on here already know, Petro-Canada is already the tallest building west of Toronto, so its not like this is a new feat for Calgary. The Bow will take the title of tallest building in Canada outside of Toronto.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Last edited by ScottFromCalgary; Jan 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 6:16 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

"It's easier to buy your reputation than to earn it." Yes, because Boddy's beloved Vancouver would never rely on world-famous architects. Ya know, he reviewed Radiant City in the Globe a while back and I emailed him to correct him when he said "Calgary is the largest city in Canada" (Calgary is 36th, not even close to largest), and in the whole course of our interaction he never once mentioned that he'd ever lived in Calgary.
I think you have a typo here. I know Calgary is not the largest, that's for sure, but it must be at least top 6. Calgary's population is little under a million and if it was 36th, that means that there would be 35 other cities over a million, giving Canada a much larger population than it really has. Do you mean third largest?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 7:40 PM
Coasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I think you have a typo here. I know Calgary is not the largest, that's for sure, but it must be at least top 6. Calgary's population is little under a million and if it was 36th, that means that there would be 35 other cities over a million, giving Canada a much larger population than it really has. Do you mean third largest?
Actually Calgary's population is a little over 1 million at 1,019,942 as of April 30, 2007. This number DOES NOT include the CMA which as of 2006 included an additional 88.000 people. Calgary's unofficial CMA numbers for 2007 would be just a little over 1.1 million. Calgary is Canada's 3rd largest city if you only count the population within the actually city boundaries. It is the 5th largest Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) after Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa-Gatineau. Edmonton is the 6th largest CMA. If the Alberta boom continues at the pace it has over the past several years, then Calgary and quite possibly Edmonton should overtake Ottawa-Gatineau as the 4th and 5th largest CMA's respectively and Ottawa-Gatineau will be in 6th place.

For what it's worth here is a link to Wikipedia listing the 100 largest metropolitan areas in Canada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada

Some Statistics Canada numbers from the 2006 census are mentioned below in the paste in from their web site.

Six census metropolitan areas had populations of more than 1 million: Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver and Ottawa–Gatineau, and, for the first time, Calgary and Edmonton. Combined, they were home to 14,110,317 people, or 45% of the total population.
The fastest growing census metropolitan area was Barrie, whose population rose 19.2% to 177,061 in 2006. It was followed by Calgary, whose population increased 13.4% to 1,079,310.

Last edited by Rob D; Jan 6, 2008 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 7:58 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

fusilli, he was referring to area, as was I. The largest (in area) "city" in Canada is Wood Buffalo. Calgary is 36th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_lar...Canada_by_area

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:05 PM

^Are there any such lists that take into account built area (which is subjective in itself) rather than jurisdictional boundary?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 2:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Not so fast, says Trevor Boddy, former Calgarian and architecture critic. While he likes the tower's design and concedes it will help define the skyline, he says hiring a big, famous architect isn't nearly as daring as it appears.

"It's easier to buy your reputation than earn one," reflects Boddy. "It's like relying on names when you shop at Holt Renfrew; like not picking by texture colour or fit, but picking by name. It represents insecurity and lack of confidence in innovative architecture more than some breakthrough."

Boddy says Calgary will know it's grown up architecturally when it can support a few provocative local mid-sized firms as well as the existing big corporate firms and the small creative ones.
A great article but this whole section had me sort of shaking my head trying to figure out this critics comments about "buying reputation".

So it's a bad thing that Encana went and got Foster to do the Bow? When in his opinion are we allowed to put on our big boy pants and be worthy of thinking of having an international architect design a building here?

I've shopped at Holt Renfrew, not just to name drop but because of the fits, textures and quality of garments available there. If the stuff doesn't meet those criteria I'm not just going to buy something that is uncomfortable because it is Holt. I bought a suit, something I'm wearing out to business functions and other events and wanted great quality, just like Encana wanted the same feel in their new space. So what makes Calgary any different then me, if you know what you want you go out and get it.

As to the last paragraph, can some of you on here name some of these provocative mid sized firms that we need to have before we are allowed to grow up? I know we have a few, but they are in the minority surrounded by the crap the places like Gibbs Gage shit out on us with regular timing. Perhaps we needed a Foster & Company to jumpstart these places into becoming a provocative firm?

Just my thoughts on it.

Last edited by Bigtime; Jan 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

As to the last paragraph, can some of you on here name some of these provocative mid sized firms that we need to have before we are allowed to grow up? I know we have a few, but they are in the minority surrounded by the crap the places like Gibbs Gage shit out on us with regular timing. Perhaps we needed a Foster & Company to jumpstart these places into becoming a provocative firm?

Just my thoughts on it.
I agree with this. If the locals aren't going to step up, bring in an outside firm; show the locals just how shitty of a job they're doing, maybe provide a kick in the pants.

Last edited by Me&You; Jan 7, 2008 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
If the stuff doesn't meet those criterias
A plural of a plural- man, you take criteria seriously!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
It was too early in the morning for me Furry, thanks for the catch!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 6:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Be happy it wasn't criteria's.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Edit: The statement is technically correct, but only in the same way that saying "the CN tower is the tallest building in Canada west of Montreal" is correct. As most on here already know, Petro-Canada is already the tallest building west of Toronto, so its not like this is a new feat for Calgary. The Bow will take the title of tallest building in Canada outside of Toronto.
I still consider Petro-Canada the tallest outside of Toronto. 1250 Rene-Levesque may have a ~100-foot pole that is barely visible to the naked eye whose top is about 35 feet taller than the roof of PCC, but fact remains that the roof of PCC is 52 feet higher than the roof of 1250. Thankfully Encana will effectively put the "tallest outside Toronto" debate to rest for at least the foreseeable future.

I was somewhat disappointed in the article. There was nothing factual which I didn't already know (in fact, a number of errors such as lumping City Centre 1, which doesn't even have a current rendering released yet, in with a bunch of other towers which are already under construction). I bought yesterday's newspaper specifically to read this article only to have it hit the recycling box 10 minutes after I got home.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 6:37 PM
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:

Anyone over 12 years old relates the "size" of a city with population,not area.

Especially regarding your point.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 8:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Anyone over 12 years old relates the "size" of a city with population,not area.

Especially regarding your point.
On the contrary, when you're discussing urban sprawl I'd automatically assume "size" meant the actual geographical footprint. In relation to the population, obviously, but sprawl is pretty much by definition talking about the outwards growth of a city. Not its population growth.

It's all about context.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:27 PM
Still optimistic

I wonder why Calgary is still a wee bit smaller that Ottawa:

You have higher buildings, larger sprawl yet we still seem to be holding on to the 4th place without any real reason to even have a million people!

Mabe there are mole-people living underground!!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
I wonder why Calgary is still a wee bit smaller that Ottawa:

You have higher buildings, larger sprawl yet we still seem to be holding on to the 4th place without any real reason to even have a million people!

Mabe there are mole-people living underground!!!
Great contribution

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 11:14 PM
Still optimistic

Just wondering...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy