HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Just because this thread really turned stupid - if Calgary were Ottawa, we'd HAVE to include Okotoks. Because the Saddledome would be located there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:43 PM
Beer me Captain

^^ As one of the culprits of that stupidity, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm in Ottawa at least once a month and I put up with their BS so much that I sometimes just lose it.

Back to the skyline, what is the furthest point out (distance wise) that someone has seen the buildings from? In the SW I believe you can make out PCC and the peaks of BH from hwy 22 and 22x. In the north I think it may be just south of Carstairs on the hill on the east side. On the east and south ???

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Back to the skyline, what is the furthest point out (distance wise) that someone has seen the buildings from?

In the north I think it may be just south of Carstairs on the hill on the east side.
I would agree with that, that hill just before Carstairs blocks any view you could get of PCC before it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:03 PM

Quote:
^^ As one of the culprits of that stupidity, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm in Ottawa at least once a month and I put up with their BS so much that I sometimes just lose it.

Back to the skyline, what is the furthest point out (distance wise) that someone has seen the buildings from? In the SW I believe you can make out PCC and the peaks of BH from hwy 22 and 22x. In the north I think it may be just south of Carstairs on the hill on the east side. On the east and south ???

I think you can see the skyline from the east a couple km out of Strathmore.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:23 PM

Quote:

Due south the skyline is first visible where highway 2 splits into 2 (Deerfoot) and 2A (Macleod). It is a view that always says home to me when coming into Calgary, you can see the main downtown cluster along with the Macleod strip leading to it. I imagine it might be visible from points further south at the top of some of the hills but I'm not actually aware of any location that allows this. A similar situation probably exists across most of the west side where the hilly terrain would mean the view would alternate between visible and blocked.

I'd have to say one of my favourite places to see the city is from near Crowchild just west of downtown, where the downtown cluster is seen with a stepped affect due to the west end condos and three smaller clusters are visible to the north, centred on SAIT, Foothills, and the U of C.

As for the Rockyview versus Foothills discussion, it has to be remembered that the former is far more urbanised. The southwest of Rockyview is full of acreages and there are three major towns (Airdre, Cochrane, Chestermere) that are all closely interlinked with Calgary. This all outweighs the fact that most of the MD is still farmland. Foothills, on the other hand, is only recently seeing signifigant acreage development, and of the two major centres only Okotoks is closely linked to Calgary while Highriver is still more of a rural town instead of a suburb. Highriver was also the larger town until quite recently. In any case it should only be a matter of time until the spread of acreages, the growth of Okotoks, and the turning of Highriver into a suburb facilitate the addition of Foothills to the Calgary CMA. After that it will probably be a very long time until any other MDs or counties would be considered as any thing close to being part of the Calgary metro, although some commuting will always exist, especially from Wheatland Country (Strathmore).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 10:25 PM
Still optimistic

what is BS?

Last edited by Aylmer; Jan 9, 2008 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
EnCana was going to until the shadow Nazi's at City Hall kiboshed it. "We must have our sunlight on this block during early winter, even though we know we won't have it for the rest of the winter!"
Ahhh Fuck, you had to remind me!

Oh what a 1000 foot skinny Bow woulda looked like!?!?... will someone please put a bounty of those assholes' heads!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:44 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Agreed.

EnCana was going to until the shadow Nazi's at City Hall kiboshed it. "We must have our sunlight on this block during early winter, even though we know we won't have it for the rest of the winter!"
I don't believe that they would have. A 300m tall Bow would have cost substantially more than the 240m version we're getting, and given that they needed to get the costs down already I doubt we would have seen a 300m Bow make it to construction, shadow Nazis or none.

If EnCana really wanted a 300m tall HQ tower, they would have picked a lot that was better suited to such a tower.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:02 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
No worries dude(tte). You weren't who I was talking about. I'm referring to the idiots who I honestly think have a script running against every Canadian construction thread. The minute their city gets mentioned, no matter the context, they get emailed instantly and fire up their Blackberry to make an instant post trying to start some infantile fight. Shit guys, we better go watch the Seattle threads and make sure no one is saying bad things about Calgary!

Quote:
I've seen the downtown skyline pretty clearly from the top of Moose Mountain, about 50km as the crow flies (it looks very much like Mos Eisley did from a distance in the first Star Wars, incidentally). I'm told you can see it reasonably easily from the top of Yamnuska, 70km away. Not sure if that's what you were thinking of though.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 10:18 AM
BANNED

The city of Calgary is already larger in terms of population than Ottawa-Gattineau, in a few years Edmonton and Calgary's CMA's will easily pass Ottawa to take 4th place and 5th place respectively.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
Still optimistic

A boom can come as sudently as it can go!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
A boom can come as sudently as it can go!
Sweet, because this one's been a good 10 years now.

So you're saying we better watch out, there's only 10 years left?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:21 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I've seen the downtown skyline pretty clearly from the top of Moose Mountain, about 50km as the crow flies (it looks very much like Mos Eisley did from a distance in the first Star Wars, incidentally). I'm told you can see it reasonably easily from the top of Yamnuska, 70km away. Not sure if that's what you were thinking of though.
Yep it is visible from Yam. Also Fable, Pigeon, Allan, Big Sister, Galetea, Grotto, Rae and others I can't remember right now.

No I was thinking more road like. I know you can see the city lights from just after the top of Scott Lake Hill, but because of the river valley I don't think you can see the CDB until just after the hill after the Hwy 22 interchange. Funny given the hundreds of times that I've done that drive, I'm drawing a blank on when the CBD is visible. (While I know that you can see the bldgs down at Richmond and Sarcee from Jumping pound ridge, but I don't believe you can see the core)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:27 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Yep it is visible from Yam. Also Fable, Pigeon, Allan, Big Sister, Galetea, Grotto, Rae and others I can't remember right now.

No I was thinking more road like. I know you can see the city lights from just after the top of Scott Lake Hill, but because of the river valley I don't think you can see the CDB until just after the hill after the Hwy 22 interchange. Funny given the hundreds of times that I've done that drive, I'm drawing a blank on when the CBD is visible. (While I know that you can see the bldgs down at Richmond and Sarcee from Jumping pound ridge, but I don't believe you can see the core)
Yeah, I can't say that I remember seeing downtown from anywhere west of 22. To be honest, due to the ridge that COP sits on (name escapes me), I don't even know that you can see downtown from that hill either.

Your question is making me re-visit an earlier thought I had last year, that is, where will the Bow sit in the skyline from various angles. As I drive/bus around the city I find myself looking towards the PCC area and trying to imagine what it will look like in 2010. And getting extremely excited. Pretty much my favourite view of downtown is from up on Sarcee as it descends the aforementioned ridge, and the Bow will really compliment downtown from that angle, if mostly hidden.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:58 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Yeah, I can't say that I remember seeing downtown from anywhere west of 22. To be honest, due to the ridge that COP sits on (name escapes me), I don't even know that you can see downtown from that hill either.
Paskapoo. Actually, because the CBD is a little north of the "COP ridge" I do think it is visible from the hill east of 22. I know what I'll be checking this saturday!

Quote:
Your question is making me re-visit an earlier thought I had last year, that is, where will the Bow sit in the skyline from various angles. As I drive/bus around the city I find myself looking towards the PCC area and trying to imagine what it will look like in 2010. And getting extremely excited. Pretty much my favourite view of downtown is from up on Sarcee as it descends the aforementioned ridge, and the Bow will really compliment downtown from that angle, if mostly hidden.
Well when the Bow was first announced I was really stoked that pretty soon (couple years) you won't be able to see PCC when driving into the core on Memorial from Deerfoot. Think about that when next doing that drive.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:09 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
It's also visible from the summit of Mt. Bogart (the big tall one behind Mount Allan, above Ribbon Falls). I saw it clearly from there last summer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:07 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Calgary should just build the tallest in the country and we wouldn't have to worry about this.
They'd still say it was the tallest west of Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:17 PM

/\Haha! Zing!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
They'd still say it was the tallest west of Toronto.
It would also be the tallest west of Regina.

Think about THAT for a second.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:28 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
what is BS?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy