HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:12 PM
Reliable Source

And a woman too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:24 PM

I had a bad dream (or maybe it was just a thought): Fiorenza and Cybele got married and lived their lives out as angry old drag queens and what not in some far, far away suburb. But it was just a dream...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:35 PM
Reliable Source

Anyone eaten at Paschal's lately? It's been a couple of years for me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 6:13 PM

Well it's sad what people will say about a man on account of he hasn't jumped on the high speed light rail thing with both feet and automatically believed it's the greatest thing for America since sliced bread. Somehow we got to be the number 1 country on the planet without it, how do you figure that?

The fact is the older generation already built a deluxe urban transit system for the ATL including 50 mile of subways and no telling how many buses and stations and what-have-you and has handed the whole thing over bought and paid for. It's been sitting there since today's youth was just a gleam in their daddy's eye and all we hear now is how old people must hate the transit and so forth and the younger generation is being held back and can't have a city because some people like a little plot of ground and some peace and quiet. If the younger ones want more trains and such I'd say they should just get up on their hind legs and build 'em theirselves like we did in the old days. I'm just saying, that's my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Here's my review of No Mas Cantina.
snip

In the past, they do much better lunch business when it's warm and people can use the patio. We have some friends that love the place so we end up there about once a month. Some of the dishes are outstanding but most are just OK -- which is normally fine with me because we're just there to catch up. It is a dramatic space and not like the whole "Johnson Studios" look and the furniture store seems strange still to me even though we liked it when it was up on Huff Rd. Financially, I'm sure they make a ton of money off all the tequila!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 9:29 PM

I've been to No Mas a few times but during Friday or Saturday nights. It's usually packed with a racially mixed crowed. It's one of the few places where you can get a table for 50, and you will all actually site at one table.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 2:29 PM

Shipfeifer Mediterranean on Peachtree Road in south Buckhead was leased earlier this week by the Shumacher group and will open later this year as Soufi's, a fast casual Persian eatery. Shipfeifer was a longstanding Buckhead hotspot since 1974 but closed over a year ago.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 2:48 PM

Cybele,

There's several types of rail, but you're combining two when you write "high speed light rail".

Heavy rail - 55-75 mph (MARTA in Atlanta)
Light rail 35-60 mph (Charlotte, Houston, Dallas)
High speed rail - 120-180 mph (other countries)

Just thought you should know the difference, because you can't possibly run HSR on rails designed for heavy or light rail transit.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Shipfeifer Mediterranean on Peachtree Road in south Buckhead was leased earlier this week by the Shumacher group and will open later this year as Soufi's, a fast casual Persian eatery. Shipfeifer was a longstanding Buckhead hotspot since 1974 but closed over a year ago.
Cool. This is very good news. I live not far south of this place and I loooove Persian food. And I've been too lazy to drive up to Sandy Springs to get it from the string of Persian places there since I moved to Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 7:48 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post
Cool. This is very good news. I live not far south of this place and I loooove Persian food. And I've been too lazy to drive up to Sandy Springs to get it from the string of Persian places there since I moved to Midtown.
The Brookwood area restaurant I'm most looking forward to is going to open soon in the former Wolfgang Puck location. It's by the people who own Baraonda and Enoteca Carbonari (4th & P-tree) and Publik (in the Fox).
They do a great job and it should be an asset to the neighborhood!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 8:10 PM

Well me and my friend Ed came down and had a burger and a beer at that place next to the Fox and Ed didn't think the sign had an L in it, but which it does if he bothered to look halfway careful. What kind of tom fool person would do that. They also had a guitar player in there who wasn't bad.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
Cybele,

There's several types of rail, but you're combining two when you write "high speed light rail".

Heavy rail - 55-75 mph (MARTA in Atlanta)
Light rail 35-60 mph (Charlotte, Houston, Dallas)
High speed rail - 120-180 mph (other countries)

Just thought you should know the difference, because you can't possibly run HSR on rails designed for heavy or light rail transit.
Well thanks, Blind Fat Snake, that clarifies quite a bit. I wasn't talking about having the Old 97 highballing down Howell Mill, just some trolley car type thing.

I still doubt it would help the traffic and whatnot.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:39 AM

Well our friends come into town for the big cardiology thing and we took them to some place in the old fourth ward called Serpa's, something called the Bistro Nicko down in that 3344 Building and then over to the Williamson Brothers near us. It cost a dang fortune but we felt like we had to put on the dog a little, them being doctors and all. All three of them was real good.

And before anybody gets their back up about, yes, we drove, you can't take transit there except to the one in Buckhead but it would take forever and they've got valet right there at the front door.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:50 PM

Went to Meehans and they had the best fish and chips I've had in the city. I was impressed.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:13 PM

A "Pita's Republic" is going in at 620 Peachtree, near the North Ave MARTA station. So far they have a few locations in Tampa. Seems to be a cheap and healthy-ish lunch option.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
A "Pita's Republic" is going in at 620 Peachtree, near the North Ave MARTA station. So far they have a few locations in Tampa. Seems to be a cheap and healthy-ish lunch option.
Great news. I've been missing TJ's since they closed.

I've gotta try the new Italian place in 1010 -- wonder if we'll get any restaurants in the 12th & midtown buildings?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 7:51 PM

^ Yep, several restaurants planned for 12th&midtown, including one in the Loews hotel, and a STK steak house.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 2:32 AM

Piola- at 1010 has a very upbeat staff, management down to the bar staff and their pizza was nice enough, trendy ingredients to the basics. I believe I had something with goat cheese, spinach, speck...no sizes to choose from, the pizza just comes with a thick or thin crust depending on what type of pizza you order. Homemade spicy oils or sauces if you show interest. thumb up, one not two. Just remember to park in 1010 if you have to drive, first two hours free.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:53 AM

Well, me and my friend Ed come into town to pick up a tailpipe at the Pep Boys and we went across the street to get a drink and it might have been a gay bar. Which was all right, everybody was real nice and all and it looked like they had been playing ball or somesuch, it just goes to show that the ATL has become very diverse and so forth these days. Personally I would say that is a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well, me and my friend Ed come into town to pick up a tailpipe at the Pep Boys and we went across the street to get a drink and it might have been a gay bar. Which was all right, everybody was real nice and all and it looked like they had been playing ball or somesuch, it just goes to show that the ATL has become very diverse and so forth these days. Personally I would say that is a good thing.
Were you at Woof's on Piedmont by any chance?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta