HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 3:45 PM

There's fair amount of interest along Talbot Street another example from City of London 2013 Urban Design Peer Review Panel meetings. This project is also Drewlo.
http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...-15REVISED.pdf

Last edited by Dither City; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dither City View Post
There's fair amount of interest along Talbot Street another example from City of London 2013 Urban Design Peer Review Panel meetings. This project is also Drewlo.
Interesting plan. The design is reminiscent of a large number of recent London condo towers (e.g., in Hyde Park, Richmond and Sunningdale, Southdale and Wonderland, etc.).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:18 PM

Well, they have finally admitted it: they never owned the land for this development and apparently now never will. There will be no new 33 story, or for that matter any new building of any kind on this site.

They now claim to be shopping around for another site - which now places Rygar (whoever that is) in league with lots of others who like to say that if the tea leaves align just right they might build something significant downtown.

Until shovels break actually ground, I don't think this "(less than a) proposal" can be taken seriously any longer. I wouldn't consider this yet to be at the level of the Fincore debacle, but it is quickly heading that way.

This is one case where I'm not happy to be right about something, but all of the signs were there

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:27 PM

They aren't shopping for another site. They have purchased another site. This is documented. I don't want to speculate on whether or not it will be built, but I would say there is a lot better chance then the roundhouse site or the fairy tale SOHO medical site.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 3:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I am hopeful but I certainly won't be holding my breath. On the other hand, the economic front seems to be finally showing some vigour.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dither City View Post

I know Drewlo , I have met him in person so many years ago in Sarnia as he built few high rise rental apts building there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 10:45 PM

I believe that Drewlo or Drewco bought 100 Fullerton instead of Rygar. Drewco is leasing the former law office at 100 Fullerton as small offices and they are only doing short term leases. I spoke to a leasing agent that is leasing the property and she said they do not know when the site will be developed, but definitely it is Drewco. This explains why Rygar was looking for (and purchased) different land for their project.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 1:48 AM

The Freep is reporting that Tricar has bought the property across the street from the property that is said to have been purchased by Rygar.

Although I would think it highly unlikley, but if Drewlo, Rygar, and Tricar have actually bought what is essentially properties adjacent to each other and all actually followed through and developed them - well that would be interesting...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:37 AM
bro

Damn. With Rygar and Tricar both buying up all these old houses, I'm really starting to worry about the Talbot neighbourhood's heritage buildings. Downtown has been slowly eating away at that neighbourhood for a while now, and rarely have any of the new developments incorporated heritage structures. We have so much vacant land in the southern portion of downtown, so it bothers me to see these companies assembling land in the more established areas.

Incredible news that all of these developers are stepping up to the plate, but I hope we can finally see some innovative heritage integration here.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 12:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The LFP story on the Talbot Street project: http://www.lfpress.com/2015/03/15/do...her-skyscraper

Quote:
Another highrise would add to a growing list of big proposals in the core, with city hall tracking what could be up to 2,900 new residential units in the downtown and Old East Village over the coming years.
Could downtown London be on the verge of tipping over into a virtuous cycle of (re) development?

Quote:
AMONG OTHER PROPOSALS
•50 King St.: Middlesex County has proposed a 30-storey, 200-unit residential highrise, worth up to $100 million, with retail and commercial space.
•King and Clarence streets: Ayerswood Development Corp. has proposed two residential towers, 550 units, valued at $100 million, with retail and commercial space.
•Horton and Waterloo: Creative Property Development proposing a highrise 15 to 25 storeys, $45 million.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:35 PM

Would be surprised if the city allows Tricar to knock down that building were Iconect is currently located.

I am all for new development specially high rises in the core...would also be interested to see if there was a one upping in the height department if this and Rygar's go head to head for "high end" condos in the core.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 7:18 AM
bro

Smile

If I could have it my way, I'd have Rygar and Tricar build within these boundaries:

- Let Tricar demolish the single house on Dufferin, but force them to retain the heritage properties along Talbot.

- For Rygar, allow demolition of the Hakim Optical building. They've mentioned wanting to build two towers, so a design with two offset towers in each square parcel might be practical.

Obviously this is my perfect world scenario, and I fully expect the majority of these houses to be demolished. I hate to say it, but my money is on the Talbot rowhouses being the only survivors.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 PM

I personally see that as the best outcome as well...but sadly I doubt we will see the old houses kept.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:04 PM

I drove by the site today and to be honest, I wouldn't be that upset to see most of the buildings razed and replaced by new residential towers. The only buildings of value in my opinion are the row houses. The rest are not that great, but like I said, that's my opinion. I am not a big fan of destroying heritage, but neither am I a fan of blocking progress to save minor sites.

With all these proposals, it might challenge developers to be more creative to differentiate themselves from each other and maybe design better.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:31 PM
bro

It's far too easy to look at each building in a vacuum and dismiss them on an individual basis. The problem I have is that this neighbourhood has been consistently losing its heritage to modern development. Losing one or two houses at a time has been the norm, but now we're looking at six heritage buildings being threatened. There is a finite supply of pre-war stock in this area, and it's about time developers start respecting it.

And I agree that the Talbot rowhouses are the most valuable, but you honestly wouldn't miss this one?

Last edited by bolognium; Mar 19, 2015 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:02 PM

CTV had a segment on the land/buildings that Rygar wants to develop. There are Victorian rowhouses on Talbot and the heritage committee wants to get those buildings protected before an application comes to city hall. Those buildings are pretty nice and hope they can be incorporated into Rygars plans. It is mentioned in the segment that Rygar has plans for a $200 million project and will be released in the next few weeks. That would make it the most expensive residential tower project in London's history so we should be expecting at lease two towers with some pretty decent materials. Maybe London's new tallest?

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=709848

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:26 PM

Rygar in the past made a point to state they would build the new tallest in London. Of course with the new Tricar tower and the 195 Dundas proposal I am not sure if that is still the case.

I think they could easily either work around these row houses and or as suggested try to incorporate them into the design somehow.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Rygar in the past made a point to state they would build the new tallest in London. Of course with the new Tricar tower and the 195 Dundas proposal I am not sure if that is still the case.

I think they could easily either work around these row houses and or as suggested try to incorporate them into the design somehow.
If my memory is correct, I think the previous building was going to be 108 metres which would make it 1 metre shorter than OLP. However, that would have made it the tallest residential. At $200 million, I'm guessing there will be a lot of height in the proposal

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:35 PM

Initially their big statement was "“It would be the tallest building in London,” Patton said of the structure he expects could be completed in 2015"

However clearly it wont be completed this year so who know haha.

Just hoping for a nice looking facade, which shouldn't be a problem given the budget. Hopefully we get some more information in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 3:19 AM

Interesting development it appears Rygar development purchased 100 Fullerton Street for 2.5 million.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Bu...2015102901/#38

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates