HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 10:04 AM

When you guys get a minute take a little Google trip down that mid-block alley/2 lane street that runs parallel and behind 200 East of this Moda Luxe Project. Incredible potential there. I hope the plans for it's future flush out its true potential. With the realization of these many outstanding projects in the immediate neighborhood and getting the LaPorte back on track, I can't imagine that that alleyway won't follow up with development in short order.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
When you guys get a minute take a little Google trip down that mid-block alley/2 lane street that runs parallel and behind 200 East of this Moda Luxe Project. Incredible potential there. I hope the plans for it's future flush out its true potential. With the realization of these many outstanding projects in the immediate neighborhood and getting the LaPorte back on track, I can't imagine that that alleyway won't follow up with development in short order.
Delts, it is already starting. There is a new coffee roaster/coffee shop/restaurant back there called Campos. It is only a matter of time before the other storefronts also fill up on Edison.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:30 PM

Not surprising. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Great reuse of an old building. Those front windows for double duty are super cool!

https://camposcoffee.com/wp-content/...-Lake-City.jpg

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:02 PM

Article from 2013 saying Ken Sanders had three years to move his bookstore due to ICO buying the land just south of the Moda Luxe property. An article in 2014 said 3-5 years. Anyone have info on where Ivory's project stands? With their Cottonwood Mall proposal and their 508 South Temple proposal they have a lot on their plate it seems.
https://www.cityweekly.net/utah/ken-...nt?oid=2471056

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:12 PM

was moving forward as of a few months ago. Along with several other ICO multi family apartments.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 9:39 PM
One Thing At A Time

Ken Sanders is a special place. Wish developers would find a way to keep things that actually enrich the city. I felt the same way about loosing the A Frame Bar in Sugarhouse. The place just aint the same anymore.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:57 AM

The Exchange project should really add vitality to that area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
FYI the surface parking lot is owned by the feds and is parking for nearby employees. Unfortunately, we may see that lot stay undeveloped for a while.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
FYI the surface parking lot is owned by the feds and is parking for nearby employees. Unfortunately, we may see that lot stay undeveloped for a while.
If it's for the federal building they should look into using the parking on the top level of Harmon's. It's always been empty when I've gone up there to take pictures. There's also probably space in the parking structure that was built for Liberty Crest and the commercial building that became Liberty Sky. Sell the surface lot and make the tax payers some money.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Not surprising. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Great reuse of an old building. Those front windows for double duty are super cool!

https://camposcoffee.com/wp-content/...-Lake-City.jpg
That's interesting that the only two franchises in the U.S. are in Park City and Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:46 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That's interesting that the only two franchises in the U.S. are in Park City and Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake has one of the most innovative and competitive coffee and tea scenes in the country. I know of at least eight other significant roasteries and coffee schemes in the works. Campos is really cool BTW. Worth a look and a taste. They have a cool rooftop patio. I LOVE Edison St. It will be a food hub in the middle of our food triangle.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:49 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Wow, that is some great density for that location. Projects like this, The Exchange, Paperbox, Salt, etc. are moving Downtown Salt Lake along nicely, giving Downtown the kind of urban residential vibe it deserves. Hopefully, the city will be able to make some progress in resolving the construction labor shortage for some of the other major projects like Patrinely.

The southeast face of the Moda Luxe mixed-use development as designed by Humphreys and Partners Architects. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.
I agree Delts. JF had a few really good projects cooking. The main floor of this one (it is a full on concrete tower) has about 7k sf of food centric retail. I smell a food hall...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:37 PM

SLCC Westpointe Center aims to 'close gap' of Utah's workforce needs

...Tami Pyfer frequently fields telephone calls from business and industry representatives who are searching for skilled workers.

"(They say) 'We need more. We need a skilled workforce. We support public education but there's a gap. How can you help us?' I really wasn't prepared for the enormity of the gap and this problem facing our business and industry partners," Pyfer said.

On Wednesday, some of those same industry partners joined in celebrating the opening of Salt Lake Community College's Westpointe Workforce Training and Education Center in Salt Lake's northwest quadrant.

SLCC President Deneece Huftalin said the $43 million, 121,000-square-foot center was designed and built with the support and vision of industry, government, community and education partners.

"This is the first building in my experience with the college where we have had this kind of community and industry support be so explicitly stated as we went through the building process," Huftalin said.

The stamp of industry partners is evident throughout the center, contributing both state-of-the-industry equipment on which students can learn and train and scholarships to support their educations.

"We will be thanking them for many, many years as they stepped up to help us with this building," Huftalin said.

The center includes 34 lab spaces, eight classrooms and a 3-acre lot for SLCC's commercial truck driving program...

A metal ribbon was created by students for the grand opening of Salt Lake Community College's $43 million, 121,000-square-foot Westpointe Workforce Training and Education Center in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018.

The Salt Lake Community College's new $43 million, 121,000-square-foot Westpointe Workforce Training and Education Center in Salt Lake City is pictured on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 13, 2019 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:49 PM

Groups donate $40 million for proposed Huntsman Cancer Institute expansion

https://www.ksl.com/article/46394297...tute-expansion

Quote:
The 100,000-square-foot expansion would extend from the north end of the cancer center's existing buildings, officials said, adding up to 50 new inpatient rooms and workspace for doctors.

Several donors have committed to altogether donate $40 million to the project. Donors include Spencer and Kristen Kirk in honor of Kathryn F. Kirk — whom the expansion will be named for — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Humanitarian Aid Fund, and doTERRA International, among others who are remaining anonymous.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Groups donate $40 million for proposed Huntsman Cancer Institute expansion

https://www.ksl.com/article/46394297...tute-expansion

At what point does it stop making sense to keep expanding the Hunstman Cancer Center at its existing location? This latest addition looks like it will have to be built directly into the side of the mountain and it makes me wonder if they'd be better off just adding a second large campus somewhere else than adding more and more space to the existing building(s) on the hill at the university.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
At what point does it stop making sense to keep expanding the Hunstman Cancer Center at its existing location? This latest addition looks like it will have to be built directly into the side of the mountain and it makes me wonder if they'd be better off just adding a second large campus somewhere else than adding more and more space to the existing building(s) on the hill at the university.
I agree. Why not have a downtown campus.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
I agree. Why not have a downtown campus.
Also agree. A downtown Campus could provide a tremendous impetus for Downtown growth. I've also dreamed of the possibility of extending the Campus further west along 400 S, perhaps a node on 400 S. between 600 and 800 East.

Some of Salt Lake's many large intersections like 4th S. and 7th E. scream for grand European style Squares/Piazzas. The corners of surrounding blocks would have to be cut back a little, but so many of these corners are occupied by nondescript one story blah. More beautifully designed Squares/Piazzas with appropriate waterworks and or statuary in a city like Salt Lake, which has an unusually accommodating physical foundation for it already. Some more place gathering squares at Salt Lake's intersections would definitely give the city a big boost in aesthetics. It's a much needed aesthetic and quality of life/environment booster that most No. American city's are seriously lacking enough of.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 25, 2018 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 12:29 AM

Any news?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:16 AM

I was looking for a rental car on an upcoming trip, and googled what a Ford Focus looks like, and look at the background on the Ford Focus website, from the top of the North Temple Viaduct.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
I was looking for a rental car on an upcoming trip, and googled what a Ford Focus looks like, and look at the background on the Ford Focus website, from the top of the North Temple Viaduct.
You mean from the top of the non-existent 200 S. viaduct?

The foreground image is from N. Temple, but they've shifted the background by a few blocks, probably because the skyline looks better from further south than it does from N. Temple.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West