HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 4:33 AM

It is still one of my favorite buildings going up right now or in the past few years. I soooo wish I could afford one of the units.
I was by the site the other day, and I think they are concentrating a lot on the interior works now. There hasn't been much change on the outside in a while. Still waiting to see what the majority of the facade will look like.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:27 PM

Giggle. I love how they divide the development up into "Barracks", "Constabulary", "Lodge"..etc.. It makes it sound like a multibuilding site. Check out the floorplans.. each corner of the building is a seperate "residence".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It is still one of my favorite buildings going up right now or in the past few years. I soooo wish I could afford one of the units.
I was by the site the other day, and I think they are concentrating a lot on the interior works now. There hasn't been much change on the outside in a while. Still waiting to see what the majority of the facade will look like.
How is this progressing? Would be grateful for a pic from anyone closeby.

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 10:55 PM

March 17, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
How is this progressing? Would be grateful for a pic from anyone closeby.

Thanks
I don't live nearby but here are some pictures I snapped of the site today;

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I don't live nearby but here are some pictures I snapped of the site today;

Thanks,
Looks like they are still a few months away from completion.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 10:27 PM

Quick shot from my office today. I would apologize for the horrible light, but despite what everyone believes, Environment Canada does not control the weather

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 10:37 PM

^The solarium looks good.

Thanks for the picture hfx_chris. There was no way I could get the back from the street so I was hoping somebody who lived nearby could help.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 2:38 AM

I drove by this tonight. It was quite dark, but I think they have finally started cladding the front part of the building.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^The solarium looks good.

Thanks for the picture hfx_chris. There was no way I could get the back from the street so I was hoping somebody who lived nearby could help.
Anybody know is the Solarium a common element? or part of one of the penthouses?
Cool idea either way.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Anybody know is the Solarium a common element? or part of one of the penthouses?
Cool idea either way.
I think its a common element to anyone in one of the wings of the building or something along those lines. It not part of a penthouse though.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 5:06 PM

They have started adding some of the detail on the "roofline" of the second floor of the "lodge". It looks like it will be quite nice, and make the building stand out despite the upper floors. ZET

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 1:34 PM

Some pics I took 2 weeks ago.

This first one is from my house.

A nice view up Ochterloney.

The next few show the beginning work on reconstructing the old facade of the Masonic Lodge. Since these were taken it has progressed quite a bit more.

This shows a new metal detail they added.

The back of the building. You can see through the trees the new railings they have installed for the Balconies.

A view from a friends apartment in Cunard Court in Halifax.

Some pics of the surroundings.

I also went to a talk yesterday given by Michael Napier, the architect of this project. He was saying that there were some differences in opinion between him and the developer and that's why the wing of the building where the old police station is has been clad in brick as oppose to the stucco that was originally planned for it.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 2:30 PM

That's unfortunate, the police station wasn't brick, it was stucco. The whole idea of this project was to try and re-create the look/feel of the original structures, and I happened to really like the old police station. That wing was my favourite part of this project...

Nice pictures. Unfortunately nothing much has changed on my side, so no point me taking any new photos from my office...

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
That's unfortunate, the police station wasn't brick, it was stucco. The whole idea of this project was to try and re-create the look/feel of the original structures, and I happened to really like the old police station. That wing was my favourite part of this project...

Nice pictures. Unfortunately nothing much has changed on my side, so no point me taking any new photos from my office...
Yah, apparently the someone working on the project other than the architect thought the project should be symmetrical. Which totally destroys the original notion of the project as you said.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Yah, apparently the someone working on the project other than the architect thought the project should be symmetrical. Which totally destroys the original notion of the project as you said.
Was trying to find the original picture from their website, but I guess the "Constabulary" is not shown? What is the entrance corner being finished with ("the Lodge" I think). On the website it looks like wooden shingles? I can't imagine the original design was going to have brick, stucco and cedar shingles on one building?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 7:19 PM

Post #1 by jonovision has the original renderings, with various views. Looks like shingles on the lodge, and would look good. The detail that they've added around the windows is quite nice. Interesting to note that the recent pictures just above show an extra row of windows above the corner entrance. Overall, I think that it is looking very good. JET

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 7:30 PM

I drive by this every few days just because it's not too out of the way. But seeing these pictures, it's a lot bigger than it looks just driving by on Ochterloney. I had no idea it was so large

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 4:10 PM

Some pics from Friday.

Doesn't quite look like the renderings. Still a lot of the detailing left though.

It's cool to slowly watch them reconstruct the facade of the old Lodge.

They were finally adding the remaining bit of facade on this part of the building.

A close up of the new facade pieces. I'm hoping once the detailing is finished it will look better. It's not exactly what I had hoped for.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 5:04 AM

All photos by me yesterday;

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 12:19 PM

Tyvek is being added to the outside of the "Lodge", so hopefully siding will be added soon. Local adds are referring to July occupancy. JET

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth