HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 4:49 PM

I noticed some activity last night during my nightly stoll through the park. There looked to be a stage with some white fencing being set up just east of the foundtain. There was also a large truck with a giant mature evergreen tree covered in canvas on it. There was a tarp that said National Toys or something like that on it. Also a couple of excavators near the Main Street entrance immediatlly North of the Fountain.

Does anybody know what's going on?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Likely to do with this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 10:35 PM

Info I recieved on the 11th.

Quote:
On or about March 13, 2009 reconstruction of water service to the fountain and irrigation system will begin at Gage Park (1000 Main St. E.). Traffic will be affected on Main St. E. and at the height of the operation Main St. E. could have only one lane open. Traffic control devices will be utilized. Water supply for firefighting operations will not be affected with the exception of one 4 - 5 hour period where a final connection is to be made to the water main on Main St. E. In both instances (traffic lane closures and water supply) the city will be notifying HES-Fire. The lane closures on Main St. E. are to be finished by March 30, 2009 but the work in the park continues until May, 2009. After hours emergency contact information will be posted in several visible locations on site. The contractor performing the work is O. Ciccarelli and Son Contracting Ltd.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Starting on Friday there's the Spring Tide at Gage Park.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:11 AM
It's Hammer Time

Revitalization work to begin at Gage Park
September 01, 2009

The City of Hamilton’s Public Works Department will begin construction in Gage Park in early September to complete Phase 1 of the Master Plan to revitalize the Park. Since 1922, Gage Park has provided citizens with a rich mixture of open space, play fields, gardens and tree-lined paths that cover over 30 hectares of green space at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment. Located east of the downtown core at Main Street West and Gage Avenue, Gage Park serves both its surrounding downtown community as well as plays host to citywide special events that draw people from beyond Hamilton’s borders.

The Phase 1 plan is part of a new Master Plan design under development in consultation with local stakeholders at numerous public meetings. The contractor will begin work in early September which involves the construction of decorative features at the Corner of Main Street and Gage Avenue and the Main Street fountain entrances, a new drainage system to alleviate the flooding in the north end of the park, the reconstruction of the existing pergola and a new fence along Main Street. The work is expected to be completed by late December 2009.

Every effort will be made to complete this work in an expeditious manner and to keep any inconvenience to a minimum. The Public Works Department thanks the community for their patience and cooperation as we work proactively to revitalize Gage Park for the community to enjoy.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:53 PM

I was wondering when they were going to start work again. They completed what seemed like the longest fountain repair job ever just before July and then never turned the fountain on all summer. It's been a while since there have been any updates on which master plan they will be going with. They had open houses 2 years ago but it seems to have fallen off the radar lately.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:46 PM

Looks like work is well underway now. The entire stretch on Main St along Gage park has been fenced off. They have completed the foundation part of the main entrance gate/walls.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:51 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this is the most hilarious thing I've seen. It's a fence and brick wall. I especially love the "GAGE................ PARK" sign

It really shows how low our standards have become.....

Last edited by realcity; Nov 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:55 PM

I also give that 1980s pixel board sign.... 6 months until it's not working and not fixed.... just like the fountain in the park. Why don't we use a neon mobile sign? We love those in Hamilton.

Last edited by realcity; Nov 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post

this is the most hilarious thing I've seen. It's a fence and brick wall. I especially love the "GAGE................ PARK" sign

It really shows how low our standards have become.....
You could spin this positively; this isn't really a huge park (say like, Stanley Park in Vancouver) so why have some unnecessarily extravagant entrance for it? It's a subtle and modest park and it has a subtle and modest, yet still clean and effective, entrance.

However I'm also thinking that we host a successful festival and several concerts here each year that draw people from other cities, so it would make sense to have a more high profile design.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 6:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
You could spin this positively; this isn't really a huge park (say like, Stanley Park in Vancouver) so why have some unnecessarily extravagant entrance for it?
Who said it had to be extravagant? This is the most uninspired 'gateway' I've seen since the last time I drove by a Smartcentre. This looks like something you'd see in front of a high school. There's no reason it couldn't have been subtle and modest and cool.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

Nevertheless, Gage Park needed more visibility from the street. It was very hard for visitors to find the park. It would be nice to have some statues (James Gage on one side, George Hamilton on the other) sitting atop the pillars, but all in all I say this is an improvement to the city overall.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 10:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Future of Gage Park

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 10:52 PM

^ nice... another project with a brilliant rendering/concept that will never happen. I'll wait for the crane.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 10:56 PM

Looks like something London Ontario would build. Do you have more info? What will happen to the original Gage family mansion, currently the Childrens' Museum?

I really like this. Gage Park is a gem.

Based on that parking lot, it looks to be the south side of the park off Lawrence. And the current site of the greenhouse. I like it a lot. I hope it happens.

Last edited by realcity; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 1:47 PM

Details can be found on the City's website here:

I like it too.

They've scalled back the hardsuface track/ winter skating rink so that it just circles the rose garden and not the large open area. A good descision IMO.

They decided to expand through the hedges and to the west into the open area next to the tropical greenhouse. I wasn't too thrilled with putting a building right there, it kind of blocks site lines of the escarpment when looking South from the fountain.

I believe the old Gage house will remain as the museum and this new building will be used to house additional Museum programs.

My main concern is that I'm planning to live in this area for a long time, 10+ years and given the pace so far, I'm sure this work will not be completed by then. After the 1st Phase at the front is completed I'm worried they'll lose momentum and it will take forever to get to the most exciting projects.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 1:55 PM

Oh and the aviary will be moved to a new indoor/outdoor building next to the greenhouse. Really excited about that!

The main circular path and entrances will be paved!!!! Sooooooper excited about that after last weeks rain. Improving the cumberland entrance will be great too, right now its some crumbling asphault ramp.

If they lump the new washrooms and paving and improved entrance ways into a Phase 2 that gets done sooner rather than later, I'll be happy.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 2:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

The tropical greenhouse will be very tall as well, about two storey. Therefore they can plant trees like palm trees.

A new Children Museum will be great, suppose to be 4 times as large as the current one. Probably two or three storey.

Oh and as for funding, they'll finalize the cost this year and request funding in 2011. Remeber this has been a five year process.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 1:33 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:03 AM
It's Hammer Time

Grand plans for Gage
Beautiful birds, green roofs, tropical plants and a revival of Sunday night concerts ... they're all part of plans to draw visitors regionwide to a bigger and better Gage Park.

March 22, 2010
Dana Brown
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/740499

City councillors today will debate an ambitious plan to dramatically transform Gage Park with a new Children's Museum, expanded tropical plant house, and an aviary.

The new facilities would be housed in a central hub complex near the current city works yard.

"I think it's got ... huge potential," said area Councillor Bernie Morelli. "It's obviously one of the crown jewels of our system."

The plan has been five years in the making as part of a new vision for the park. The cost for the entire project, which includes constructing a storm water management facility on the eastern edge of the park, is not yet clear.

Some work has already begun. There has been a new wrought iron fence installed along Main Street and a concerted effort has been made to tame overgrown greenery for safety reasons.

But there's still a long way to go.

Rob Norman, manager of landscape architectural services with the city, said the revamp will likely be done in a phased manner.

Costs for the central hub complex, as city staff call the group of buildings, and associated landscaping would go through the 2011 budget process.

"By having all the facilities together they can complement each other and work together," Norman said of the hub.

"Similarly, you can have shared parking and shared infrastructure. The new buildings are looking at the concept of LEED technology with green roofs potentially on some of them to make them very efficient and achieve efficiencies together."

The final plan is based on four preliminary versions that were presented to the public in 2006. Staff say the latest version will help strengthen the ornamental flower beds, historic water features and the overall park geometry.

There's also expected to be a financial benefit from expanding programming in the park. A major renovation will also allow the city to address barrier-free issues by converting walkways to hard surfaces.

Dave Beland, recording secretary for Friends of Gage Park, called the reno "long overdue."

"We've been pushing for it for a long time ... We're hoping that the plan will be developed around the fountain area next."

In addition to the revamp, Morelli says he's also working on generating new activities in the park. They include bringing back Sunday night concerts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues