HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 8:52 AM
BANNED

Should we expect an updated rendering, or is what we got last time pretty much...it..?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Should we expect an updated rendering, or is what we got last time pretty much...it..?
God, I hope not

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 3:30 PM

I guess we don't know what the changes are, eh? I doubt it'll be so radically different as to be, you know, "good," but maybe it can be less terrible.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 10:26 PM

Hopefully Chedrawe is considering some major changes to the design. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 10:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

On the HRM website you can see Chedrawe's short speech in council from last night. The issue was approval of updates to HRM by Design rules though, not the design of the Drum condos.

I am not sure if the design has changed. It would be nice to see a design more on par with a building like the Grainery, which was also smaller and does not have retail. The current design has a lack of street-level detail that reminds me of Clayton Park condos.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 6:49 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I agree with people trashing the most recent version. I wish I could see the older version but the pics aren't showing.

The main issues I have with the actual design (I also have great trepidation about the materials) is that the circular section at the front isn't congruent with the rest of the building making the design incohesive and appear bulbous. I'd rather see a continuous flat-iron shape. Or even if the front was still curved, if more was done to keep the design cohesive, like continuing the balcony insets onto the curved section (although not necessarily as deep), or making the three non-inset part of the building between the balcony insets also curved.

I also don't like that the top floor is set back like that. Having setbacks on a much taller building can soften it and make it more graceful and less overpowering. But a small building needs as much "power" as it can get. Having important elements such as the roofline be so... mushy, really weakens the silhouette.

Also, lets have the balcony safe guards be glass-free painted black metal rather than those cheap-looking glass ones. And although the back isn't shown, I want there to be a metal exterior fire escape.

Another thing that would help the building would be for to stretch farther back from the interaction toward the pool, with perhaps twice as much street frontage as is shown. I find it too stubby as it is. The V shaped building have an exterior space in the centre between the two wings which would be private resident areas for things like bike storage and maybe a fountain and plants.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 7:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one's been quiet for a while. I have a feeling that if it comes back we'll see a different design. At this point those renderings are very dated.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This one's been quiet for a while. I have a feeling that if it comes back we'll see a different design. At this point those renderings are very dated.
@someone123, your photo of the sign for old Amalthea proposal for this site is not appearing and I cannot find it on pbase. Any chance you could put it somewhere else and re-post the link here? I'd be curious to see it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 11:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
@someone123, your photo of the sign for old Amalthea proposal for this site is not appearing and I cannot find it on pbase. Any chance you could put it somewhere else and re-post the link here? I'd be curious to see it.
Sadly, pbase deleted a bunch of my pictures. Not sure if I have a backup of that one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth