HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 1:38 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 2:37 AM

The car garage is so sexy.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 5:28 AM
BANNED

Very nice looking tower

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 2:36 AM
A before E

I am liking the look of this tower, the use of space for the car garage is very unique looking for the building as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:09 AM

Aside from glorifying cars, the rest of the tower looks pretty nice

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:47 AM
Karma Police

I also like how this building is looking..... in the renderings.

But I hope that some of you aren't expecting the finished product to look EXACTLY like this. For instance, the clear glazing shown in the renderings WILL NOT look that transparent in real life. It will look darker in most instances, and have more glare at other times. There MAY BE a few times, mostly at night, when the cars will actually be as visible as they are shown here.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 1:40 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I also like how this building is looking..... in the renderings.

But I hope that some of you aren't expecting the finished product to look EXACTLY like this. For instance, the clear glazing shown in the renderings WILL NOT look that transparent in real life. It will look darker in most instances, and have more glare at other times. There MAY BE a few times, mostly at night, when the cars will actually be as visible as they are shown here.
Works PA has been pretty consistent with their work and producing architecture that looks similar to their renderings. I am expecting what is glass to look like glass.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:59 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
I hope that some of you aren't expecting the finished product to look EXACTLY like this.
You keep trying to make it sound as if a few of us are nitpicking. Other Portland architects and even the chairman of the design commission have been quoted in the media talking about how caught off guard they were by how much The Yard didn't match what Skylab had presented - I repeat: even the chairman of the design commission was caught off guard by how much The Yard didn't match what what Skylab had presented. Surely, you don't believe the chairman of the design commission shouldn't expect what is built to look like what the commission approved.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:03 PM

^No.

Let's keep the Yard discussion in the Yard thread so those that don't really care to read the back and forth can avoid that thread should they choose to.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:21 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^No.

Let's keep the Yard discussion in the Yard thread so those that don't really care to read the back and forth can avoid that thread should they choose to.
I agree, we don't need every thread to be about the Yard. I imagine we can have what we have always had on this site is a healthy conversation about the architecture regarding specific buildings.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^No.

This ^^^

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

The building looks pretty amazing and cool, but two minor things: the alleyway between the two buildings will be very dark, since it will be shaded by a 19-story building. Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:59 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
The building looks pretty amazing and cool, but two minor things: the alleyway between the two buildings will be very dark, since it will be shaded by a 19-story building. Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.
The alley way is a bit awkward, I am guessing no one would actually use it. It will mostly be dead space that people might occasionally move through or maybe stop to smoke a cigarette.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.
What makes you say that?

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:27 PM

This is a very hip urban solution for a parking garage, and it makes me wonder: A) this type of contraption might be perfect for a downtown auto dealer showroom, of which there are now very few; and B) wouldn't it be great if there was a wash & wax station somewhere in there? I'd hate for my dusty Dodge to be exposed for all to see!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:26 PM

I'd love to see the Chevy and Subaru dealerships in that area get this treatment one day to consolidate all their lots scattered throughout the CEID. That would clear up quite a few parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 1:47 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
I think you misunderstood their comments. It's not the overhangs, or protruding (oriel) windows, they have a problem with.... it's the lack of enough (or any?) canopies over the sidewalks to provide weather protection. I have to agree, the overhangs on the building are mostly too high above the sidewalk to provide adequate shelter when it's raining.

Also, I think the alleyway will actually be a very dynamic space with fairly high pedestrian traffic. It looks like the buildings will open directly into that alley making it more of a courtyard than a service entrance. We have so few alleyways here in Portland, but they can be some the best urban spaces if done well.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 8:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
I think you misunderstood their comments. It's not the overhangs, or protruding (oriel) windows, they have a problem with.... it's the lack of enough (or any?) canopies over the sidewalks to provide weather protection. I have to agree, the overhangs on the building are mostly too high above the sidewalk to provide adequate shelter when it's raining.

Also, I think the alleyway will actually be a very dynamic space with fairly high pedestrian traffic. It looks like the buildings will open directly into that alley making it more of a courtyard than a service entrance. We have so few alleyways here in Portland, but they can be some the best urban spaces if done well.
How do you figure? Looking at the drafts, it looks like it is more or less just a walkway between two buildings that will be fairly dark with very little existing connections to it unless the current building under construction really opens up to it, which I don't think it does.

It looks nice in renderings, but this is basically a great alleyway for a heroin addict to shoot up in. I like the concept, but I don't imagine it being any more active than the alleyway by the Eliot Tower, and that one is much more inviting that this one would be.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 10:52 AM
Karma Police

Well, just based on this rendering, the only one that shows the alleyway in any detail, they clearly are proposing a seating area with extensive landscaping and hardscaping. Also, there are window walls on both sides that look like they open directly into the buildings. There don't appear to be any hiding places for addicts to be shooting up when there are that many windows facing the alley. It actually looks more like a courtyard connecting the buildings than a back alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 5:22 PM
A before E

Quote:
Well, just based on this rendering, the only one that shows the alleyway in any detail, they clearly are proposing a seating area with extensive landscaping and hardscaping. Also, there are window walls on both sides that look like they open directly into the buildings. There don't appear to be any hiding places for addicts to be shooting up when there are that many windows facing the alley. It actually looks more like a courtyard connecting the buildings than a back alley.
As we have learned, it is best not to go on a rendering on how active a place will be. Nothing in that rendering suggests it will be an active used place. The alleyway at the Eliot receives more activity than this will and the alleyway at the Eliot is dead minus the few people that cut through there when walking.

If there was retail space or something for a cafe to spill out into this area, then it might be active, but based on the drafts it doesn't suggest that so it will basically be a dead zone between buildings.

Looking at the drafts again for both buildings, it does look like there is potential for commercial space to connect to this alleyway in both buildings, so depending on what opens up and how they use the alleyway, it might see people walking through it to get to these places. But for now it looks more like a smoking area than anything else, we will see. Overall I am really liking how this block is turning out.

Last edited by urbanlife; Feb 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland