HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
I think part of the idea is that if you make it unappealing to park in the city then most people won't take their cars in and use public transportation. I've had to go to NYC a few times this year for various reason and took septa/nj transit cause I know parking will be a pain in NYC.
I agree with you on that. You just reminded me of a trip I took to NY, on my vacation, 5 days in NY, 5 days in DC. (Just doing the touristy thing). I rented a car for those 10 days, (I hadn't driven in a few years while living in Queen Village.) so I rented a car. Washington DC wasn't too bad to drive and park at the time, but when I drove to NY, I spent over 100 bucks just to leave the car parked there all week just about. (This was 1990's prices) Never again. Me and my friend said we would have been better off taking the train, or even the Greyhound. It was nice to sit in the car while driving it, but parking was a hassle. It may have one negative effect, and that Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise may see a drop in rentals.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I agree with you on that. You just reminded me of a trip I took to NY, on my vacation, 5 days in NY, 5 days in DC. (Just doing the touristy thing). I rented a car for those 10 days, (I hadn't driven in a few years while living in Queen Village.) so I rented a car. Washington DC wasn't too bad to drive and park at the time, but when I drove to NY, I spent over 100 bucks just to leave the car parked there all week just about. (This was 1990's prices) Never again. Me and my friend said we would have been better off taking the train, or even the Greyhound. It was nice to sit in the car while driving it, but parking was a hassle. It may have one negative effect, and that Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise may see a drop in rentals.
I'm not sure if things have changed since the 90's but at the time it was pretty much a guarantee that if you have out of state plates your getting a parking ticket in DC. At the time I had VA tags and hatted driving into DC because of it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 7:18 PM

I remember about 7 years ago I parked at this garage while looking for my first Philly apartment (ended up at Walnut Square apartments, but that's a story for another day)...this is one of those garages where some dude takes your car and packs it in somewhere like a sardine. My car exterior was fine when I got it back...but my steering wheel was all scratched up. Like, how? Why? Either way, good riddance.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I remember about 7 years ago I parked at this garage while looking for my first Philly apartment (ended up at Walnut Square apartments, but that's a story for another day)...this is one of those garages where some dude takes your car and packs it in somewhere like a sardine. My car exterior was fine when I got it back...but my steering wheel was all scratched up. Like, how? Why? Either way, good riddance.
Ever see the movie "Ferris Bueller"? It's a movie from the '80s. I'm sure you must have. If not, rent it. Watch carefully how that parking attendant treats a car!
Baconboy007, Another trip to New York, like in the mid-to late 70's, I was a legal lad to drink at the time. My PA plates must not have agreed with the City towing. This is when NY adopted the "park on the side of street" on a certain day, and the same for the other. I guess I never noticed the sign. It was something like Mon, Weds, Fri, Sun park this side only. and the other is obvious. I was young and had just enough money for gas and tolls. My Mom had to Western Union me up some dough to get my car out of hock. Bad memories in my teens.

sorry for going off topic: this is my last story (today)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:10 AM

Rendering Emerges for New Broad Street Hotel

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...d-street-hotel

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:29 PM

I have a feeling this design is by the same no-name firm that produced the first iteration of 1910 Chestnut. They look similar.

I wonder why Pearl just can't use Baker. That much more expensive?

http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/....03.09-AM1.png

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 1:07 AM

Cambria Hotel Rendering Revealed for Broad and Locust

Quote:
Development company Pearl Properties has posted a rendering of Cambria Hotel, a 206-room hotel planned for the northeast corner of Broad and Locust streets.

According to a press release from November 2015, the Cambria Hotel will be a business and travel brand of Choice Hotels. In addition to "oversized" hotel rooms, it will feature a a contemporary bistro called the Social Circle and a fine-dining restaurant on the first floor.

The Cambria Hotel is expected to open in 2017.
http://philly.curbed.com/2016/3/10/1...oad-and-locust

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I have a feeling this design is by the same no-name firm that produced the first iteration of 1910 Chestnut. They look similar.

I wonder why Pearl just can't use Baker. That much more expensive?
It looks like DAS, which is marginally better than Eimer, the architect firm responsible for the 1910 Chestnut debacle that Baker corrected. The design for their 15th and Walnut overbuild has looked nice from the beginning. Who are they using there?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:17 AM

3/14/16

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:13 AM

Did this go from 210 to 182 feet?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 12:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 1:27 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Is the Cambria Hotel taller than the current parking lot structure?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Nice. The closing of Perch Pub and Mama Angelina's indicates something further will be done with the parcel. As the hotel does not extend over that building. I believe a residential component had previously been discussed??

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Nice. The closing of Perch Pub and Mama Angelina's indicates something further will be done with the parcel. As the hotel does not extend over that building. I believe a residential component had previously been discussed??
Yeah, this is interesting. I would assume we would see a residential component built here then unless there is a complete redesign with the residential stacked on top of the hotel like I was originally told was the plan. Guess we'll see!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yeah, this is interesting. I would assume we would see a residential component built here then unless there is a complete redesign with the residential stacked on top of the hotel like I was originally told was the plan. Guess we'll see!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
No. I originally guess 210 ft, but was then told the estimated height is about 182 ft tall.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Is the Cambria Hotel taller than the current parking lot structure?
Yes. Current parking structure is about 85 feet tall. The Cambria hotel as currently planned would be about 100 ft taller.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:58 PM

Demo work continues. From Building Philly

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 10:27 PM

Nice to see this garage go

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:29 AM

Great shots of this from the Bellvue Sporting Club. Can see right into the structure. I will see about finally learning how to post pictures and try to post some.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive