HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:51 PM

Gaudreau has 19 points in 15 games and Monahan and Tkachuck have 18 while Lindholm has 17, generational numbers for our top 4 guys!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:56 PM
Near Generational

That's only because Calgary hasn't had a legit superstar for over a generation.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
That's only because Calgary hasn't had a legit superstar for over a generation.
Iginla wasn't a superstar?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Iginla wasn't a superstar?
No doubt he was. Good durability too in his prime. Never played less than 70 games during his time in Calgary while being one of the last members of the "old guard" of all-stars that could put up 90 points while still playing an extremely physical game and dropping the gloves if they needed to.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:40 PM

Yep, Iggy was a beast, not many power forwards like him in the game anymore.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Gaudreau has 19 points in 15 games and Monahan and Tkachuck have 18 while Lindholm has 17, generational numbers for our top 4 guys!
Al due respect to those guys, but any gm in the league would trade any of those guys in a heartbeat for Pettersson.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Al due respect to those guys, but any gm in the league would trade any of those guys in a heartbeat for Pettersson.
Are you really this big of a homer? Why can't you understand that Pettersson has played 9 GAMES! and he already has had a concussion. This is FAR TOO SMALL of a sample size to really determine a players worth!

Pettersson may become the player you want him so badly to be, but anyone that makes trades like you are suggesting based on 9 games of total NHL experience is an idiot.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:42 PM

Well, if you wouldn’t trade lindholm for Pettersson, I don’t know what to say. I guess you wouldn’t trade any of those guys for Rasmus Dahlin then, since he’s only played a handful of nhl games. I think people are greatly underestimating what he did in Sweden as an 18 year old going into last season.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:59 PM

At the end of the season I might be all over it. What you don't seem to understand is that 9 games is nothing, and nobody cares how well he did in the Swedish league. Lots of players who dominated in the KHL (A better league than the Swedish League) have struggled here. The only experience that matters is NHL. All everyone is saying about this is wait and see before you proclaim him the greatest Swede of all time.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
How long have you been following hockey? No offense, but that's just plain stupid, no GM would make that trade. Maybe Pettersson for Lindolm, and that's a maybe. Nobody would trade Monahan or Gaudreau for a guy who looks good but has only played 9 games.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Well, if you wouldn’t trade lindholm for Pettersson, I don’t know what to say. I guess you wouldn’t trade any of those guys for Rasmus Dahlin then, since he’s only played a handful of nhl games. I think people are greatly underestimating what he did in Sweden as an 18 year old going into last season.
No they aren't. It's more like your overestimating Pettersson. You might be right in a year or two, but right now 9 games in.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:00 AM
Community Guy

Iggy was legit. Few, if any, could replicate.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
How do you know???

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Dahlin also plays defense.
And is 2 years younger.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:51 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Are you really this big of a homer? Why can't you understand that Pettersson has played 9 GAMES! and he already has had a concussion. This is FAR TOO SMALL of a sample size to really determine a players worth!

Pettersson may become the player you want him so badly to be, but anyone that makes trades like you are suggesting based on 9 games of total NHL experience is an idiot.

People like Logan5 are the reason I stopped watching GDTs in r/canucks and r/hockey. The vitriol from Canucks fans just tunes me out every time and ruins the vibe.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post

People like Logan5 are the reason I stopped watching GDTs in r/canucks and r/hockey. The vitriol from Canucks fans just tunes me out every time and ruins the vibe.
I'm extremely impressed with Pettersson, and I've definitely expressed that here, but I'm pretty sure I haven't expressed any vitriol towards anybody.

Lots of players are capable of the plays he makes, and any player looks good in a highlight package, but he is capable of doing these things a lot more frequently than almost anybody. He gets such a good shot away very quickly. The tying goal in the last minute of the Colorado game being an example.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:50 AM

Logan, I'm gonna be polite here, I think you're jumping the gun. Everyone agrees the kid has talent, and will no doubt be a good player, but at this early stage nobody knows how good. Nobody.

As a Leafs fan I'm still not ready to call Matthews a generational player, or maybe even a superstar yet. He's already played 155 games and has great numbers for a stretch that long.

Maybe it's because I'm a Leafs fan and my people have suffered for years. But it could also be that I've watched hockey since I was a kid and have seen lots of players light it up in junior/college, Europe, etc... and and lots of players get off to hot starts and all the buzz it creates, but buzz is cheap. Great careers aren't.

Quote:
That would never happen. No GM with half a brain would trade a guy like Gaudreau who is a gifted player, but more importantly a proven one, or a proven goal scorer like Monahan, for an unproven guy who looks good in his first 9 games. Lindholm maybe.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
hahah..thanks for the morning laugh. A kid that's played 9 games and every GM would trade their best guys for him. May I suggest you apply for the Edmonton Oilers GM job...please!!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:11 PM

Chicago fires Quenneville... Damn!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Chicago fires Quenneville... Damn!
Not surprising. He had a good run with the Hawks, but the last couple of times I saw the Hawks play (Calgary and Edmonton) they didn't look very inspired.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada