HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Bitterness on the part of the critics because they don't live in CA.
I wonder why people think negatively....

For the record, if you offered me 200% more in income I still wouldn't move there.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
My reasons for not liking California:

1. When I sold real estate in Austin back in 2013 I saw what they were doing to the market. Locals and people from cheaper metros moving in had no chance. I had a LAPD retired policeman buy a 375k home with cash. He didn't even bother trying to get a deal. This happened often, so people from rich metros, who overwhelmingly came from California, were pricing out people.

2. Snobbery. People on here have shown it already. We are "jealous" of California. Yes, that could be the only reason, right? Californians think the entire country wants to live there. It isn't true.

3. Politics. My mom's lawn mower has a sticker that says "not for sale in California." Watch insurance commercials, most types of 'deals' or whatever are not valid in Califonia. So with this, I don't dislike California because of their politics, its more like I am glad I don't live there. It is a state of the rich and poor. It has sucked the middle class dry. I don't think its a state to follow in any way, even if we are looking towards a "progressive" model.
1] 375k for a single family home is cheap, especially for an existing homeowner, retiree. They're nonexistent here and I do mean nonexistent.

2] Yes Californians actually do think this way, so much so that they love to hate other places and people. I hear smug comments very often almost every day.

3] Yeah, the politics are whacky and getting whackier and has pushed native Californians out to Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Oregon, Washington and beyond. Hopefully those that are pushed out, don't bring the whackyness with them.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Seriously, can we stop with this statement? It's meaningless to say a state is the richest just because it has the most people. There are many states that have per capita incomes that are higher than California. If people were really going to get mad about a rich liberal state then why not Maryland or NJ since they are both richer by pretty much every metric.
Or does California have the most people because it's the richest state? When there's is a ton of money flowing around, that's going to attract people. In bigger states that tends to attract more lower income people looking for job opposites or access to better social services. California has the highest per capita income of the ten most populous US states (next up is New York, and then the other 8 have per capita incomes lower than the US national average). So of the large states California is actually the most productive per capita.

Oh, and according to the graph posted above people hate NJ too. I wouldn't exactly call Maryland a liberal bastion with a republican governor and a significant republican contingent in its state assembly, it does trend blue but not like California. Next to compare would probably be New York, which people also hate for many of the same reasons as California.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Or does California have the most people because it's the richest state? When there's is a ton of money flowing around, that's going to attract people. In bigger states that tends to attract more lower income people looking for job opposites or access to better social services. California has the highest per capita income of the ten most populous US states (next up is New York, and then the other 8 have per capita incomes lower than the US national average). So of the large states California is actually the most productive per capita.

Oh, and according to the graph posted above people hate NJ too. I wouldn't exactly call Maryland a liberal bastion with a republican governor and a significant republican contingent in its state assembly, it does trend blue but not like California. Next to compare would probably be New York, which people also hate for many of the same reasons as California.

I think that's the disconnect. I don't see a state as successful because people are moving there for their "social services." By definition, they will be a net drain.

Let us be real here, California isn't bankrupt because of Hollywood and related industries, ports taking in cargo from Asia, the federal government, farming, and the lucky of-of lucky streaks...Silicone valley. The money from the incomes of those in the creative industry and big tech has sustained the state. It might not always be there like it is today.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:57 AM
BANNED

California is not the richest state. It the state with the highest poverty rate.

350K will get you a sh*thole in Compton. Yeah people make more money here, but you get next to nothing in terms of housing.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
California has the most people because historically the economy has always been concentrated around bodies of water due to shipping reasons and California has like 60% of the West Coast whereas the East Coast is split between a dozen states (especially up North where all the people are).

And don't mistake incomes for productivity. You have to adjust for cost of living. Someone working the exact same job in California is going to make significantly more money even though they are no more productive, but that money is simply to adjust for the cost of living. They're not likely any better off unless they move to a cheap state after they retire (which many do). I'm doing the same thing that many people here are knocking Californians for. I'm living in a rich state and banking lots of money now so that in a few years I can leave and buy a nice home somewhere else in cash. It's a good strategy, but if the best thing about your state is that your standard of living goes way up after you leave then that doesn't seem like a huge point of pride.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 1:12 AM

Quote:
I think that's the disconnect. I don't see a state as successful because people are moving there for their "social services." By definition, they will be a net drain.

Let us be real here, California isn't bankrupt because of Hollywood and related industries, ports taking in cargo from Asia, the federal government, farming, and the lucky of-of lucky streaks...Silicone valley. The money from the incomes of those in the creative industry and big tech has sustained the state. It might not always be there like it is today.
Hollywood and related industries: True, although you can argue that California culture has helped keep the movie industry in state
Ports taking in cargo from Asia: True, we got a lucky break with LA harbor. The Gulf ports in Texas actually ship more cargo though, so it's not just that.
The federal government: False, California pays out more in federal taxes than it gets back in federal services. We're actually subsidizing most of the red states.
The lucky of-of lucky streaks...Silicone valley: That wasn't actually just lucky, in the early 1960s California started investing heavily in it college systems (of which it has two). Today california produces more college graduates than anywhere else in the nation, and the bay area has one of the highest per capita populations of college degrees in the world.

If you really want to get into why California is so rich, it's the large college system that leaves the population well suited for the modern service based economy, and a culture that legitimately attracts a good deal of highly motivated and highly educated people to the state (California might be a net exporter of Americans to other states, but it's a net importer of people with college degrees from across the nation and across the world). Plus a good climate, which can actually be a large factor.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 2:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
California might be a net exporter of Americans to other states, but it's a net importer of people with college degrees from across the nation and across the world.
Not really sure that exporting your uneducated people and importing educated people from other states is something to be proud of. It certainly helps California since they get fully educated people that they didn't spend a cent on educating, but it hurts the rest of the country. So California isn't really making the pot bigger so much as eating more than its fair share. This isn't a California specific problem obviously as the same thing happens in all rich areas. This is the problem with boasting so much about one state or another because people can freely move from one to another so there's no way to know how rich the people born or educated in a state are, only how rich those are that are living there now. Indeed only about 50% of California's residents were actually born in California. This isn't even just an issues with states it happens with countries too where rich countries poach talent from poor ones (except the US where we greatly limit the number of talented immigrants while allowing in unlimited numbers of poorly educated ones. ).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 2:23 AM

Most of these have already been mentioned:

- Because CA is everything conservatives believe should result in economic and social failure, yet CA has been strongly successful in both areas for 100 years and running.

- Because CA expats crowd up other Western states, drive up housing costs, and bring Blue State politics with them (and sometimes with smug and/or self-righteous attitudes).

- Because Hollywood is seen as having an outsized and undeserved influence on culture nationwide.

- Because SNL’s The Californians can be uncomfortably accurate.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

- Because CA is everything conservatives believe should result in economic and social failure, yet CA has been strongly successful in both areas for 100 years and running.

- Because CA expats crowd up other Western states, drive up housing costs, and bring Blue State politics with them (and sometimes with smug and/or self-righteous attitudes).

- Because Hollywood is seen as having an outsized and undeserved influence on culture nationwide.

One little caveat, CA didn't go full Democrat until the 1990s, so stating they have been successful, assumingly under Democrats, for 100 years is a stretch.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
One little caveat, CA didn't go full Democrat until the 1990s, so stating they have been successful, assumingly under Democrats, for 100 years is a stretch.
Well, not exactly. The Governator [Republican] was Governor until 2011.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Damn, beat me to it. California voted for Bush, Reagan, Ford, Nixon etc. California was a Republican bastion for decades. Wasn't even that long ago that they had a Republican governor and it was only quite recently that they became a far left state as opposed to center left. People in general seriously underestimate how much political affiliation changes. As mentioned earlier in this thread there is still a view that Southern states like Virginia, Florida, Georgia and Texas are Republican even though Virginia is a moderate blue state, Florida is a swing state and Georgia and Texas will likely be blue states within the next 1-3 election cycles. Hell, even in the last 2 years people seem to have forgotten that white working class people are a Democrat demographic and educated suburban whites are a Republican demographic just because there was a shift in the last election.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Not really sure that exporting your uneducated people and importing educated people from other states is something to be proud of. It certainly helps California since they get fully educated people that they didn't spend a cent on educating, but it hurts the rest of the country. So California isn't really making the pot bigger so much as eating more than its fair share. This isn't a California specific problem obviously as the same thing happens in all rich areas. This is the problem with boasting so much about one state or another because people can freely move from one to another so there's no way to know how rich the people born or educated in a state are, only how rich those are that are living there now. Indeed only about 50% of California's residents were actually born in California. This isn't even just an issues with states it happens with countries too where rich countries poach talent from poor ones (except the US where we greatly limit the number of talented immigrants while allowing in unlimited numbers of poorly educated ones. ).
California produces more college graduates than any other state in the nation, but that's just not enough to feed the hungry machine that is our economy. I think the better question might be what is so unique and special about California that it is economically viable to pay people so much to be here, to attract all of these highly skilled workers into such a small and expensive area. Movie cameras are everywhere, so are computers and even college graduates. Most of California's economy isn't based upon anything unique within its environment. There's no physical reason that Silicon Valley has to be in the bay area, nor Hollywood in LA. You can build a tech company or a movie studio anywhere else, for less money in most cases, and yet for some reason when people try they just don't get the same results. Every state has tried to be the next Hollywood or Silicon Valley at one point or another and yet they all keep coming up short.

Also the US does prioritize skilled immigrants over unskilled ones, and your average immigrant is more likely to have a college degree than your average american native. California's population growth is mainly based upon foreign immigration of skilled labor. Big reason why California is so ardently against immigration restrictions, it'd cut off our labor supply and economic growth.

Quote:
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:56 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
...bring Blue State politics with them (and sometimes with smug and/or self-righteous attitudes).
I'd reckon that's probably true for Nevada, but it sure as hell ain't true in Arizona. If anything, our politics are driven further to the right by hordes of people moving here (not just from certain parts of California) with the mentality of "I've got mine, screw everyone else."

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:04 AM

Aside from the Internet I've never heard anyone dislike California, actually the opposite.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
California produces more college graduates than any other state in the nation
Good Lord, how many times are you going to use this fallacy in one thread? Yes, California has the most people by far so of course it has the most of pretty much everything. You can flip this around just as easily and point out it has the most poor people or uneducated people too.

Hell, according to wikipedia California is DEAD LAST when it comes to high school graduation. It's 14th for college graduation which is obviously good, but it's not like it's blowing everyone away. California is only 0.4% higher than Kansas for instance and they're a total shit show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment
Quote:
Most of California's economy isn't based upon anything unique within its environment. There's no physical reason that Silicon Valley has to be in the bay area, nor Hollywood in LA. You can build a tech company or a movie studio anywhere else, for less money in most cases, and yet for some reason when people try they just don't get the same results.
Because these states that dominate a certain industry have all the momentum. If you want to work in that industry you HAVE to move to that state. My brother recently moved to San Francisco because he basically had to given his career field. Does he like spending $4,000/mo on a crappy apartment? Hell no. He'd leave the state in a heartbeat if he could, but of course he can't without giving up his career. It's just like if you want to be a country music star then you move to Nashville. Is that because there's something super special about the built form of Nashville? Of course not, it's just that the industry is based there.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:34 AM

Quote:
2. Snobbery. People on here have shown it already. We are "jealous" of California. Yes, that could be the only reason, right? Californians think the entire country wants to live there. It isn't true.
This is mostly sums up my disdain for California as a whole.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Aside from the Internet I've never heard anyone dislike California, actually the opposite.
"Never heard anyone dislike California". Visit Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado etc. and ask them what they think about California & Californians. The biggest haters are often ex-Californians. "I moved here, now raise the drawbridge" attitude.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:41 AM

Californians have a few grievances too....

1. Californians pay out more in taxes then they get back from Washington. California money supports poorer states..often the ones that gripe about California! The latest "tax reform" made things worse--got rid of a lot of federal deductions that helped high tax states like California...e.g. cut the mortgage interest deduction and state income tax deduction.

2. California is innundated with poor and homeless from all the other states (and other nations as well). Most of our prison population are people from other states and other nations. Other states (and nations)--take care of your poor & homeless better--stop sending them to California! We are full.

Etc. etc. more California gripes later.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
This is very true. I recently did a short stint as an over-the-road truck driver. I was delivering ranching/fencing equipment throughout the rural West. I felt like a fish out of water. There is a fierce culture war being waged in this country right now, and as long as I was out there, I was in enemy territory. Even though I'm a scruffy, blue-collar looking guy, I stood out somehow, and on multiple occasions, I got called "yuppie." (That word has a different definition in rural America. It basically means something like: city slicker who doesn't know where his food comes from and is probably a damn liberal.)

Anyway, I got looked up and down and asked where I was from constantly - usually with an air of suspicion. I would tell them and they would often give a response along the lines of, "Well at least you're not from California." (Which I guess means they don't like Denver either? Or don't like Colorado? Or don't like me?) California is absolutely despised in rural America. Absolutely despised. I heard it bashed over and over. I never fully understood it, but the common themes were:

- They're regulating themselves out of existence.
- They've got like eight genders over there and need like eight different bathrooms.
- They're trying to fuck up the economy because they're all worried about global warming.
All so true. And these bozos derive their benefits and subsidies from the rich states they hate...California, New York etc. Biting the hand that feeds them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions