HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:19 PM
cities|transit|croissants

IMO Atlanta qualifies as east coast because the sphere of influence in which Atlanta is the primate city extends to the coast. This is different from Pittsburgh or Nashville of Buffalo, which is why I don't think of them as east coast cities.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
atlanta would be an exception for me as well. it just doesn't register as "coastal" in my mind.

at 230 miles inland, that's inland enough for me to lump it in the "inland city" category, just like pittsburgh.

similarly, on the other side of the country, las vegas is about 240 miles inland, and i certainly don't place LV on the "west coast" in my mind.
I agree about LV, but it's not in a state that actually touches the ocean.

I don't have a strong opinion about whether Atlanta is an "east coast city" but I do consider it part of the east. I think most people would agree with that, but what makes it a little weird is that Atlanta sits directly south of the Midwest, not the Northeast.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
In my mind, east coast is generally anything east of the Appalachian mountains. However, I'm not using the term "coastal".
I like this definition.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I agree about LV, but it's not in a state that actually touches the ocean.
others have mentioned the whole "atlanta is in a state that touches the ocean" thing too.

that doesn't really resonate with me because i'm from chicago, and we don't think in terms of "states".

again, no right or wrong answers here, just different perspectives.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 6, 2019 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:43 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

uh yeah east coast to me means *does the city or metro have a port on the atlantic*

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:45 PM

never ever ever have i thought of atlanta as being an east coast city. its way up on a plateau in the interior, a rail city built like a leggy, supercharged kansas city.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:55 PM

to qualify - a port or harbor historically or currently directly navigable by ocean going vessels within a reasonable distance of the atlantic.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Washington, Boston, Miami only. No other cities on the US east coast register internationally.
Philadelphia does. No question there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:29 PM

^^If they missed "The Wire" in Europe, they missed a good show and they missed an impression of Baltimore, R&D capital of America ( ).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
to qualify - a port or harbor historically or currently directly navigable by ocean going vessels within a reasonable distance of the atlantic.
Then Montreal makes the list

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 6, 2019 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Philadelphia does. No question there.
I think Philly should resonate, but I suspect it doesn't.

I think Philly would get blank stares among most Germans. They might know Rocky and Philly cream cheese.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:18 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

that's essentially my definition of a "coastal" city, as well.

which makes me question Washington D.C.

is it globally influential? absolutely. does it have a port capable of serving large ocean-going vessels? I honestly don't know... for example, the District Wharf doesn't seem to have room for, say, an ocean liner.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

is it globally influential? absolutely. does it have a port capable of serving large ocean-going vessels? I honestly don't know... for example, the District Wharf doesn't seem to have room for, say, an ocean liner.
historically it was navigable to ocean going vessels, however, and technically still is.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think Philly should resonate, but I suspect it doesn't.

I think Philly would get blank stares among most Germans. They might know Rocky and Philly cream cheese.
Perhaps among the population that doesn't know the sun is a star but i suspect most people have heard of Philly. I never went anywhere overseas and people not know about Houston. Even more obscure than Philly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:53 PM

Philadelphia doesn’t really register here, and I’m in an English-speaking country.

And Brits would only know Baltimore if they have access to an American Netflix account and watched The Wire, or are a big fan of Edward VIII.

Of course I am talking about the average reasonably informed person here. I work with a lot of pharmaceutical companies and so both are more well-known, but that’s industry-specific.

Houston resonates more than either because oil and Texas.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:

If we are debating whether Washington DC is an East Coast city, then SSP has reached a new level of pedantry. It’s part of Bos-Wash. That is the East Coast.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Philadelphia doesn’t really register here, and I’m in an English-speaking country.
Maybe they need to re-read the Declaration of Independence from there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Selective memory with Philly and the Brits. It was that blasted city where those quarrelsome colonists got together cracked some bell and then invented cheesesteaks.

As for Texas it's pretty well known everywhere and I have to explain to people in Paris that I do not have a horse and then there's Dallas...because of this guy and this guy but Houston, not as much.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:19 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

I'd say that if the city experiences tides, it qualifies as coastal. Therefore, DC counts.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:19 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I find it still interesting and amazing that outside the Bos-Wash area, the most notable city on the East Coast coastally is Miami.

Most of the other major Southern cities are either inland in the Appalachian/ Piedmont highlands and surrounding areas ( Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte), on the Mississippi (New Orleans, Memphis), part of the Gulf Coast ( New Orleans again, Tampa, Houston via Galveston) or in Texas ( Dallas, San Antonio).

Although Savannah and Charleston do exist, they aren't as populated and notable at the coast as Miami. I wonder why the lower East Coast has developed in such way like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions