HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 3:03 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Since the last official height update at floor 43 from where we get the figure of 3.4884m/level, there have been no more double height floors to its current 74th level, but has 4 floors below it which are considerably taller than the average level height......so, so far its average level has dropped below the 3.4884m average height per level to somewhere around STR's 3.2m

So, to reach the magic 808m mark we are going to need more floors....the question is, how many more?

With a lack of serious developements apart from a new floor every 3/4 days, who out of the regular contributors to this thread will put their personal opinion as to the final height they reckon this tower will reach and why?

Slug, STR, Malec, Fury, Bergenser?

Just so we can look back in 16 months time and see who was the most accurate with their predictions.

I'm sticking with 850m+

Last edited by Sky Tower; Sep 25, 2006 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 4:41 AM
`

^ What I thought was interesting about the 3.4884 is that the number is based on 43 levels stated the article. That accounts for quite a few mech. levels which are indeed bigger.

As far as the height, what ever the load that can be supported on the base and put it to the limit. Even in Dubai, they only have one, or maybe two, more shots at it. So I think they'll push it as far as it can go.

Sep. 22:

originals:

Sep 24:

Last edited by Slugbelch; Oct 24, 2006 at 4:15 PM. Reason: added Sep. 22 pix

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:01 AM
BANNED

Two years ago I predicted and I'm still predicting today for a total structural height of between 830m and 860m.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 12:52 PM
TEL-AVIV!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenser
This picture kinda reminds me of Paris (with BD as the Eifel tower...)

Realy! What is this tower's name?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 3:13 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower
Since the last official height update at floor 43 from where we get the figure of 3.4884m/level, there have been no more double height floors to its current 74th level, but has 4 floors below it which are considerably taller than the average level height......so, so far its average level has dropped below the 3.4884m average height per level to somewhere around STR's 3.2m
The average will not be 3.2. Most of the floors will be 3.2, but the average will be higher than that because many floors are 3.7m, 5m and 6.4m or higher.

average=roof height/floors

I apologize if I didn't make that clear, but what I meant to say is that 90% of the floors will be 3.2m. I have no idea what the average will be as I never calculated it.

Quote:
So, to reach the magic 808m mark we are going to need more floors....the question is, how many more?
You also need a 200+ meter high empty crown and spire

Quote:
I'm sticking with 850m+
Baseless. Why would you pick a number out of the air when the real figure has all but been announced?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 5:47 PM
Information Age

Quote:
Orginnaly posted by Dizo1000
Realy! What is this tower's name?
I don't know, should love to know, cause it reminds me of this building: La Grande Arche

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 8:03 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Baseless. Why would you pick a number out of the air when the real figure has all but been announced?
This figure of 850m+ is indeed my own personal view based on a moderate design change on single increments of each setback but extends to the 14th setback other than the last official developer tease diagrams that show these increments to the 12th setback.

This is a plausible design change that could be implemented reasonably without a massive design impact.

Not all of us believe that the final height is set in stone as you obviously believe. My question is if it is set in stone, why all of the secrecy?

As we are led to believe that the base of the structure was designed to take a load/wind equivalent beyond 950m. This figure of 850m+ that I arrived at is a sensible middle ground guesstimate as to what I think could be the final height with a moderate design change with my theory explained, which was what I asked everybody to contribute....purely as a non sensicle excercise, to promote constructive conjecture and a light hearted bit of brainstorming to envoke the creative response of many of the contributors of this thread..... you included!

Now...are you sure you don't want to 'phone a friend', or is 808m your final answer? Because there's lunch on the observation deck riding on this!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 9:29 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Why all the secrecy? So that they can keep nerds like us interested and post on various websites and stuff which results in free marketing for their tower.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 11:51 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Hey, I resemble that!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 2:39 PM
Supertall

dont worry about STR. Although I agree that his analysis makes a lot of sense and he definitely has a lot of knowledge on this subject, I do not appreciate him trying to shove the 808m height down everyone's throat both here and over at ssc.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
The average will not be 3.2. Most of the floors will be 3.2, but the average will be higher than that because many floors are 3.7m, 5m and 6.4m or higher.

average=roof height/floors

I apologize if I didn't make that clear, but what I meant to say is that 90% of the floors will be 3.2m. I have no idea what the average will be as I never calculated it.

You also need a 200+ meter high empty crown and spire

why do you needed a 200+ meter high empty crown and spire, why not just a 200+ meter high spire? and what does this crown look like any way's, i never seen it before

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 3:20 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Slugbelch, I personally agree with your 3.4884 average floor level conversions but have seen many different current heights on different websites. Was just wondering if they know something we don't.

Also, at what stage do we think they will be adding a new level every 3 days?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Dubai

They state that at level 75 it stands at a height of around 287m but I'm sure they're using the final average level 3.8m/level because many more of the levels towards the top will be much higher.

There also more quotes from the construction subcontractor 'Gulf Extrusions' which gives a final height of 940m+

They also quote from EMAAR, that the steel construction can be extended at any time before the 156th floor to ensure the title of WTB!

Last edited by Sky Tower; Sep 30, 2006 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 3:41 PM
`

^ The 3.4884 av. is from Besix own activity report. That's the only official height during construction I have seen. I think it is a little higher, but I have to stick with that until something else official pops up. A copy is posted on the top of the thread. Others, without showing us, is just speculation, but if you're referring to culwulla's number, I personally think it is between his and Besix 3.4884.

I saw a 3 day/level in a news article too, posted above i think, but since we have better evidence through Imre's pix, 4 days seems to be very close, but things may pic up.

Do you by chance have the direct link to Gulf Extrusions Burj info? I would like to make a copy add it to the list above.

Sept. 28:

kjdrill

Sep. 30 2006:

selectworldtravel

Last edited by Slugbelch; Oct 24, 2006 at 4:04 PM. Reason: added 9-28 pics

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 3:45 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Well, during ramadan construction slows down so it won't be growing that much in the next month, should pick up speed again afterwords though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
dont worry about STR. Although I agree that his analysis makes a lot of sense and he definitely has a lot of knowledge on this subject, I do not appreciate him trying to shove the 808m height down everyone's throat both here and over at ssc.
He's claiming here that the 808 meter figure was well known since one year and he was sticking to that since then, when in relaity, just a few months ago in SSC he was "convincinly" claiming 705m the height of the building, calling rubbish on anyone who was suggesting a higher one.

The building is around 280 meters at the moment, same as the nearby Milleenium Tower, and how I know that? It's simple, I don't go by un-official "diagrams" or 3D models, I drive by the towers twice daily.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 5:15 PM

Updates as on October 1st:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 7:56 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Hi forum buddies. Am writing this from Dubai and really excited as it is my first time here.

It's a trip of neccessity as I've been dying to know what the current height is. I arrived here Saturday morning and as a someone who has only seen this thing before from the update pictures my first impressions are WOW! The sheer building work going on here is near un-imaginable.

Let me tell you, it is already so much bigger than the pictures suggests!

Unfortunately I'm only here for the weekend but I new that other than pictures, i must post something of relevant interest otherwise my limited time here will be wasted.

Arriving with my trusted laser scope which is calabrated to read accurately within 0.1m up to a distance of 1500m I used the naked eye with a 700mm rule at 700mm's from my eye to align the visible base of the tower to the last visible concrete construction at level 76 (just above the middle yellow panel at the top of the central core) which took me well beyond the wrong side of Burj Dubai Boulevard and into nothingness.

Ater finding enough building rubble to stand on to enable me to view the base of the 1st visible floor, making the top and bottom of my ruler meet the corresponding extremities of 'Big Burj' I aimed my first measurement at the centre of the building and it bounced back a distance of 272.09m.

Repositioning myself about 4m to the left to get a direct reading to what I considered completely parallel to the centre of the building it returned a measurement of 270.11m.

Moving ever so slightly closer to align myself with which is undisputedly the top of the 75th level I took two more readings from the same spot which were 268.66m and 268.73m.

As I was aiming my laser at the innermost corner at the base of the building, to get an accurate measurement one must also add the innermost radius of the building to take the measurement to the centre of the core to the very tip of the top.

I thought this experiment was going to be conclusive and give us a more accurate readings to base height/levels from, but so far to me makes things more difficult.

I appologise in advance for any practical inaccuracies these figures may imply as most (including me) may somewhat dismiss these figures as there are so many places that accuracies are far from infallable (mostly my eyesight from which reference points are taken)

These figures were taken purely for my own personal benefit but I am happy to share them with you all.

From these figures I would say that the current height at level 76 is around the 270m - 273m mark.

Or around 3.553m - 3.592m per level.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 10:24 PM
Guess Who's Back?

It is strange, Gulf Extrusions at http://www.gulfex.com/welcome.html have since removed their link marked 'Our Projects' that had their 940m+ quote.

These are the guys who are doing the aluminium cladding and would know the final height (if it yet exsists)

I wonder if EMAAR made them take it down?

Anyway, many reports now show the Gulfex height.

Here's one http://www.tradearabia.com/tanews/ne...cle111499.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 2:02 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^They would not need to know the height because their job is irrelavent to the heigh of the building. The window unit on floor 15 will be exactly the same as floor 115.

Therfore, they are less credible source than Arabtec, which does structural work for the building, thus needs to know the height to be able to calculate the loads that need to be supported.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 2:26 AM
`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower
These figures were taken purely for my own personal benefit but I am happy to share them with you all.
From these figures I would say that the current height at level 76 is around the 270m - 273m mark.
Or around 3.553m - 3.592m per level.
How close could you get to the tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa