HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:10 AM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post

i like this tower! it's definitely better than the other 2 versions.

i think i need to see it from an aerial view to really make a true determination...
This looks very nice (glass again, yay!). Looks to be about 700ft here. Very exciting!!!

I still don't really know where Westport is, I guess when the building finally starts to rise I will know where it is. What streets are around it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 8:18 PM
marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55 View Post
According to an earlier post, the street on the right would be Calvert St (north/south) and the street on the left (east/west) would be Lombard st. There are building there now though so a lot of things would hvae to be relocated to do this. There is a CVS on the corner of lombard and light, and then water st cuts through the middle. There are some shops (Peter's bar, Cafe Gourmet) and office space above... but they are 'Original' Baltimore buildings probably built in the 20's/30's that are there now. So for this to happen, those businesses would have to move. This would be nice though as these buildings are all pretty short and are surrounded by taller (the meat of the baltimroe skyline) buildings. This would be GREAT for density and add more to the skyline.
The Location is Grade A. Love the idea of a tower there. However, the deisgn is just so underwhelming knowing the potenial the site has. The Design is unattractive and boring. I hope the design gets changed, i strongly dislike the facade (I don't really like new towers with that kind of color like 414 water tower)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 6:25 AM
Baltimore

Well, it is much much taller than what it is replacing and that's an important part to me. Is it me or does emporis kind of suck? They don't even have the Marriot (our 5th tallest building) on their site and they took off all of the proposed buildings that used to be on there. Dissapointing.

I am going to try to put some pics up of construction of the LM Tower and 4 Seasons within the next couple of weeks (hopefully sooner)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 6:31 AM
Baltimore

New 20 Story Hotel

When I was on a lunch break last week I was wandering around Calvert St... I noticed that it looked like the beginning of a demo process of some old buildings and there were some 'workers' standing around a pickup truck in the small street next to the buildings so I asked the guy what they are demolishing for, "what are they going to build here?".
"They are going to be building a 20-story hotel here, but I don't know which one".

It is downtown right by the gallery but a block or 2 north where Water St. intersects with Calvert St. (on the east side of Calvert St.). I haven't heard anything about this yet so figured I'd put it on here!!!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 11:30 AM

I am surprised that they are going ahead with the project but apparently they are. I spoke with a manager of the crew there and they said it was a go.
On another note, the lot was closed and digging and prepping have begun for the Fitzgerald on Mt. Royal by U of B.
Glad to see so much construction starting with the economy in the shape it is.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:52 AM
Baltimore

Do you know what the hotel is supposed to be? Probably not too big of a name, the hotel will only be so big but stilll curios of what it will be....

-------------------------

Any news on 300 East Pratt or 1 Light St.?

Those little 5-story building right on President St (where it meets Lombard) are topped out at their 5th story, haha. At least it's better than what was there but they could have put something a bit heftier on that block

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 6:54 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55 View Post
When I was on a lunch break last week I was wandering around Calvert St... I noticed that it looked like the beginning of a demo process of some old buildings and there were some 'workers' standing around a pickup truck in the small street next to the buildings so I asked the guy what they are demolishing for, "what are they going to build here?".
"They are going to be building a 20-story hotel here, but I don't know which one".

It is downtown right by the gallery but a block or 2 north where Water St. intersects with Calvert St. (on the east side of Calvert St.). I haven't heard anything about this yet so figured I'd put it on here!!!
Are you talking about Cityscape? It will consist of a 30 story tower and a 20 story tower. Hotel and residences.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 9:29 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

???

Is this it?
Cityscape.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 5:29 AM

so how are things downtown going?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 1:43 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

slow. harbor east is all the rage now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:48 PM

Design Selected for New University of Baltimore Law School
Published by Jeff under Mount Vernon, North Baltimore, Uncategorized

University of Baltimore officials have awarded a winning design in a competition for a new law school building that brought competitors from across the globe. The winners were German firm Behnisch Architekten in a joint venture with Baltimore-based Ayers, Saint, Gross Inc.

The prominent building site sits at the corner of Charles St. and Mt. Royal Ave, fully visible from the Jones Falls Expressway. Undoubtedly, UB is going for an iconic design for the new 100 million dollar plus building. The design is decidedly modern in contrast to mainly historic and contemporary buildings in the area, although not unlike the MICA Brown Center and the new MICA Gateway Building further up Mt. Royal Ave.

Since the preliminary design is the result of a competition that lasted a few months, one would expect the design to change through the process of full design. But from the looks of it, the new design will be bold, daring, and will hopefully add to the character of growing midtown Baltimore on what has been a sad empty parking lot.

http://www.baltimoregrows.com/

More information at the above source

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:04 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Latest "Westport" conceptual renderings:

and...

a blown up rendering I found:

Keep in mind that these renderings are not final designs. They are purely conceptual.

www.turnerdevelopment.com
and
www.westportwaterfront.com

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:08 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Design Selected for New University of Baltimore Law School
Published by Jeff under Mount Vernon, North Baltimore, Uncategorized

University of Baltimore officials have awarded a winning design in a competition for a new law school building that brought competitors from across the globe. The winners were German firm Behnisch Architekten in a joint venture with Baltimore-based Ayers, Saint, Gross Inc.

The prominent building site sits at the corner of Charles St. and Mt. Royal Ave, fully visible from the Jones Falls Expressway. Undoubtedly, UB is going for an iconic design for the new 100 million dollar plus building. The design is decidedly modern in contrast to mainly historic and contemporary buildings in the area, although not unlike the MICA Brown Center and the new MICA Gateway Building further up Mt. Royal Ave.

Since the preliminary design is the result of a competition that lasted a few months, one would expect the design to change through the process of full design. But from the looks of it, the new design will be bold, daring, and will hopefully add to the character of growing midtown Baltimore on what has been a sad empty parking lot.

http://www.baltimoregrows.com/

More information at the above source
And here is the "winning" design.:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:14 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

And here are the "losing" entries:

and...

and...

and...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 12:58 AM

hopefully something gets built in that westport project

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:25 AM

Here are a couple shots I took of Harbor East the day before Thanksgiving while I was near the Light Street Pavilion. This was the best angle I could get with the time I had. It appears that the shorter tower (Legg Mason Tower) is progressing faster, with the cladding up about 10-12 floors. Four Seasons in the foreground...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 9:39 PM

good pics good to see something moving in bmore

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 8:06 PM
marcus

Arena proposal

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 4:06 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

I wonder how this proposal will turn out? It's the Morris A. Mechanic mixed-use tower proposal.

BTW, I love that SBER arena/hotel proposal.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 2:19 AM
marcus

^ hm interesting proposal. What do you think of the design? I think it could be better, but it puts the mechanic theater to shame. although it has always been a shameful disgrace of Concrete

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations